We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Site Details

+40
Chui Ninji
weebit
WishLine
iPi
OTDE
efrazable
VividRedemption
Wolf_Spirit
Opal Rider
Lukking
Absox
CamQuartr
captain_cornflakes
Kayped
Kohuda
Mikeee7787
mhenr18
Morgan
TeamBlast
Stallie
Sheldon
MegaSonicX
Hotflash
hypothet
darklight
Helios Pavonine
InsaneDevan
WTB
Loz
KillinTime2792
Darkness
crash2burn
Derpinator
TheRevTastic
Jam
Cereal
Rafael
Yobanjojoe
Georgio_jc
rabid squirrel
44 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

New Site Details - Page 11 Empty Re: New Site Details

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:18 pm

WishLine wrote:It isn't long before you're presented with a blank forum and an ACP which you'd be really familiar with. It'd be well within your capabilities...
And there's another problem - a blank forum doesn't have most of the features (mods) we've known and loved on the old site and (some of them) on this site, and I have no clue how to install them.

And I honestly don't really know anything about ftp. I know it's file transfer protocol and used in web pages, and I have some software on my computer that seems to have something to do with it. I don't have any idea what would happen once I bought hosting - I couldn't even figure out how to download phpBB (I tried) I don't even really know what php is. Or MySQL, or anything... And so far nobody has been able to point me toward a way of learning any of these things.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaSonicX Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
WishLine wrote:It isn't long before you're presented with a blank forum and an ACP which you'd be really familiar with. It'd be well within your capabilities...
And there's another problem - a blank forum doesn't have most of the features (mods) we've known and loved on the old site and (some of them) on this site, and I have no clue how to install them.

And I honestly don't really know anything about ftp. I know it's file transfer protocol and used in web pages, and I have some software on my computer that seems to have something to do with it. I don't have any idea what would happen once I bought hosting - I couldn't even figure out how to download phpBB (I tried) I don't even really know what php is. Or MySQL, or anything... And so far nobody has been able to point me toward a way of learning any of these things.

I can probably find all the mods you need and install them for you. You can let me take care of all the technical things such as coding, file transfer, installation, etc. while you just set the permissions.

To set the site up you don't need any knowledge of PHP or MySQL. I too don't know any of it. All I know is HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. That's why they make simple installers for things like this. If you want to actually learn it though, you can check out w3schools.
MegaSonicX
MegaSonicX

http://seasonoftreason.uphero.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

^ That sounds encouraging.

Next time I have time and money I'll take the plunge. Right now I don't have much of either xD
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:11 pm

hahaha, a bump gave us a tiny hope for a new site
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Rapto wrote:hahaha, a bump gave us a tiny hope for a new site
8D
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaSonicX Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:04 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:^ That sounds encouraging.

Next time I have time and money I'll take the plunge. Right now I don't have much of either xD

Alright then. I won't start til you tell me to so its your call :3 Also keep in mind that if I'm alone, the making of it will go slow because I'll be focusing more on High School for the next 3 months. Once summer vacation starts I'll be working on it way more.
MegaSonicX
MegaSonicX

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm

this is one of the best news ive had in line rider this year
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Rabid, I think WRtL thanks you :P. there will be tonnes of people to help you if you ask us and let us. It's true that no knowledge of code is needed. I should know. Remember Line Zone? :P. I can't code 'Hello World' xD

So we hope you have the time and money at some point. :-)

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

WishLine wrote:Rabid, I think WRtL thanks you :P. there will be tonnes of people to help you if you ask us and let us. It's true that no knowledge of code is needed. I should know. Remember Line Zone? :P. I can't code 'Hello World' xD

1. I don't need lots of help - I can't just give everyone access to the hosting CP... I need someone willing to walk me through stuff and teach me stuff.

2. Line Zone used a free forum site correct? Just like this site?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
WishLine wrote:Rabid, I think WRtL thanks you :P. there will be tonnes of people to help you if you ask us and let us. It's true that no knowledge of code is needed. I should know. Remember Line Zone? :P. I can't code 'Hello World' xD

1. I don't need lots of help - I can't just give everyone access to the hosting CP... I need someone willing to walk me through stuff and teach me stuff.

1. that's the help I mean. Smile

2. initially. Then good old Zorinea gave us a vBulletin license and hosting to play with. Install scripts, FTP, add on installs, the lot. I had root access too. So I'm qualified to talk :P

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 pm

There should be a mod who knows about forum script installation and other confuzzling stuffles.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:25 pm

efrazable wrote:There should be a mod who knows about forum script installation and other confuzzling stuffles.

Theirs only a few of us here that know how to do it and 99% of us have been banned and aren't "mod worthy".
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaSonicX Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:

Ask and you shall receive :3 Starting next weekend...

MegaSonicX
MegaSonicX

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:34 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:
efrazable wrote:There should be a mod who knows about forum script installation and other confuzzling stuffles.

Theirs only a few of us here that know how to do it and 99% of us have been banned and aren't "mod worthy".

That 1%....
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm

rich wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:

That 1%....

So you know how to install mods/forum scripts/etc? Also you're not mod worthy, nobody below elite tbh here is mod worthy.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am

Occupy iridethelines.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 am

Well, Rabid doesn't want it done for him. He wants to learn how to do it himself, by the sounds of things. Which I figure makes more sense.

PhpBB is quite Add-on rich, I believe, if you look in the right place. But are we absolutely sure we want to use PhpBB?

Rabid - PhpBB Demo (although I take it you'd know that one from the previous attempt, but also MyBB Demo, if you wanted something more powerful and versatile.

For PhpBB:

Setting Ranks (Usertitles too! We could get Newb on a Sled ---> Veteran Rider back!") and Multiple PIPs Add-on. Also A medal system for PhpBB. Reputation system, too.

For MyBB:
Multiple pips, ranks, usertitles and reputation all included and fully customisable by default. Also my opinion both front end and ACP look more like vBulletin than PhpBB. And Awards system, though you may need to make a post or two on that forum before you can download it.

Installing add-ons requires uploading a few files in specific places and running a script usually. Occasionally you have to add in some code (they tell you exactly what and where if necessary, but that doesn't often happen).

Hope this helps Smile

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 am

^ Good job convincing me! Let's use myBB first, unless someone has a better counter--argument
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaSonicX Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am

WishLine wrote:Well, Rabid doesn't want it done for him. He wants to learn how to do it himself, by the sounds of things. Which I figure makes more sense.

PhpBB is quite Add-on rich, I believe, if you look in the right place. But are we absolutely sure we want to use PhpBB?

Rabid - PhpBB Demo (although I take it you'd know that one from the previous attempt, but also MyBB Demo, if you wanted something more powerful and versatile.

For PhpBB:

Setting Ranks (Usertitles too! We could get Newb on a Sled ---> Veteran Rider back!") and Multiple PIPs Add-on. Also A medal system for PhpBB. Reputation system, too.

For MyBB:
Multiple pips, ranks, usertitles and reputation all included and fully customisable by default. Also my opinion both front end and ACP look more like vBulletin than PhpBB. And Awards system, though you may need to make a post or two on that forum before you can download it.

Installing add-ons requires uploading a few files in specific places and running a script usually. Occasionally you have to add in some code (they tell you exactly what and where if necessary, but that doesn't often happen).

Hope this helps Smile
Wow! I had no idea MyBB could do all that right out of the box. I'll be experimenting with it today and until rabid we can start on it.
MegaSonicX
MegaSonicX

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am

rabid squirrel wrote:^ Good job convincing me! Let's use myBB first, unless someone has a better counter--argument

I'm glad! Smile. Hosting wise, there's 000webhost.com which is free, or something paid but more reliable. Either way, it needs C-Panel (or something simpler that does the same job), MySQL databases, and PHP capabilities. Full MyBB requirements are here. We have a domain already, which is good. Also, if you're going paid, being able to have mailboxes (think rabidsquirrel@weridethelines.com and do_not_reply@weridethelines.com) would be an interesting consideration.

And, most importantly Rabid, your time and our patience. So it's up to you Smile

Whoever bumped this thread did WRtL a massive favour.

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 am

You're going to need someone with their own vps box or someone that uses a linux os to use the phpbb crawler and then get somebody to convert over the database to MyBB. I still have the one from the summer and played around with it a few months ago and had converted it over to IP.Board to test out an alpha version of IP.Board 3.3.0 and it had all the users that were registered when I did the crawler and post/forums/and topics as well.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 am

TheRevTastic wrote:You're going to need someone with their own vps box or someone that uses a linux os to use the phpbb crawler and then get somebody to convert over the database to MyBB. I still have the one from the summer and played around with it a few months ago and had converted it over to IP.Board to test out an alpha version of IP.Board 3.3.0 and it had all the users that were registered when I did the crawler and post/forums/and topics as well.

MyBB has a merge system of sorts; I think it would help transfer a database - assuming of course, we don't all want to start afresh?

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaSonicX Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am

OK then. MyBB is pretty simple to use. I can somewhat see the resemblance to vB and it shouldn't be that hard to get the skin done. The built in Template editor is basically the same as phpBB but with a slightly different navigator. That's gonna take some getting used to. I really like the Stylesheet editor though Very Happy

Overall, I really like it. Now should we go ahead and make a test forum just to work on the skin or should we make a new domain (e.g. weridethelines.com) and work on that? I'd recommend we make a free test site so that we don't have to pay for hosting the domain. The site would probably be something like "weridethelines.comeze.com" or something.

Any thoughts?
MegaSonicX
MegaSonicX

Back to top Go down

Post by WishLine Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm

MegaSonicX wrote:OK then. MyBB is pretty simple to use. I can somewhat see the resemblance to vB and it shouldn't be that hard to get the skin done. The built in Template editor is basically the same as phpBB but with a slightly different navigator. That's gonna take some getting used to. I really like the Stylesheet editor though Very Happy

Overall, I really like it. Now should we go ahead and make a test forum just to work on the skin or should we make a new domain (e.g. weridethelines.com) and work on that? I'd recommend we make a free test site so that we don't have to pay for hosting the domain. The site would probably be something like "weridethelines.comeze.com" or something.

Any thoughts?

Only this for now - we have to work at Rabid's pace. Rushing ahead of ourselves and doing tonnes of work when he hasn't the time or money won't achieve much. So wait for him to give us the go-ahead. Smile

WishLine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 pm

WishLine wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:You're going to need someone with their own vps box or someone that uses a linux os to use the phpbb crawler and then get somebody to convert over the database to MyBB. I still have the one from the summer and played around with it a few months ago and had converted it over to IP.Board to test out an alpha version of IP.Board 3.3.0 and it had all the users that were registered when I did the crawler and post/forums/and topics as well.

MyBB has a merge system of sorts; I think it would help transfer a database - assuming of course, we don't all want to start afresh?

You have to use a crawler for forumotion forums as you can't get the database for them.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next