We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation

+5
Apple
Sheldon
Wizzy
OTDE
Rafael
9 posters

Go down

Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation Empty Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation

Post by Rafael Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 pm

This track is going to take a long time to finish, so I decided to post what I have.

https://youtu.be/Ad7Zh0djwRY

Spoiler:

So yeah. Expect this in ten, fifteen or more years. I'm really excited for how this will turn out.

Last edited by Rafael on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation Empty Re: Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation

Post by OTDE Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:06 am

the beginnings of narrative. not a full story but at least we're getting somewhere. nice.

sometimes I worry that with all this focus on big, impressive, tracks, people won't release anything. like, in a few years, we'll just be a community where everyone releases something once a year, if that, because each new thing has to be bigger and better, and the rest of the time we're just dead. that's kind of what it seems like already, honestly—it's hard to make stuff when you have all kinds of obligations, you know?

I dunno, I've just been struggling with this, and this grand sense of scale you got going here just brings that back. I hope the track conveys what you're going for, and so far it's pretty neat. if you're looking for presentation thoughts, I would say find some kind of motif that you can use at the start and the end to wrap it all up, with little callbacks to it in between. maybe music notes? just a thought.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation Empty Re: Hypersonic Motion - Preview and explanation

Post by Wizzy Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 am

OTDE wrote:the beginnings of narrative. not a full story but at least we're getting somewhere. nice.

sometimes I worry that with all this focus on big, impressive, tracks, people won't release anything. like, in a few years, we'll just be a community where everyone releases something once a year, if that, because each new thing has to be bigger and better, and the rest of the time we're just dead. that's kind of what it seems like already, honestly—it's hard to make stuff when you have all kinds of obligations, you know?

I dunno, I've just been struggling with this, and this grand sense of scale you got going here just brings that back. I hope the track conveys what you're going for, and so far it's pretty neat. if you're looking for presentation thoughts, I would say find some kind of motif that you can use at the start and the end to wrap it all up, with little callbacks to it in between. maybe music notes? just a thought.

I agree with this. Big tracks are always epic, I want to collaborate with people more so big projects are a bit more realistic in terms of a time-frame. I thought about recruiting for a "line film" studio here. My tastes are very different when it comes to this game, though. I want it to change. A lot.

I am glad to see people are still playing and Raf always knocks it out of the park, so I'm looking forward to this. Narratives aren't really my thing in naked tracks but this one looks interesting. Hope to see it soon, at least.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:18 am

Awesome but why are you torturing yourself by making this in flash...?
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:22 am

I love that song which just makes what you have here even better. I'm really excited to see this.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:00 am

I'm always excited for a new Raf project. However, your life's work is all your tracks - not just this one :P
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 am

havn't seen this much story since hea or night rider. im hyped to the max dude if you need any help with animation stuff hit me up! also im sure you are able to finish this. you did it with jam too!

how long will the track be?
Lukking
Lukking

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the positive responses guys.

OTDE wrote:the beginnings of narrative. not a full story but at least we're getting somewhere. nice.
Not a full story yet!

I think this is partly natural because our ideas get more complex as time goes on, so they take longer to execute. But yeah, high school time is over so there's limited time for Line Rider. That's why I personally don't see value in making random stuff anymore. I've got the skillset I want already, and if I want to express myself I make music. This idea cannot be converted into audio though (at least I can't now), so Line Rider is the way to go here.
There are definitely motifs I want to include and music notes will be one of them! I'm still looking for an overarching theme besides just music, which is not personal enough for me. One idea I have is the relation between skill and ideas. In Line Rider there's this everlasting battle of crazy impressive quirks vs. simple tracks with creative concepts. I've noticed the same pattern in electronic music regarding sound design vs. songwriting, especially in drum & bass music. Lot of oldschoolers complaining about how everything sounds so clean and perfect while the tracks have lost their 'soul'. The newgen seems to be focussing on sound design over good ideas. I want to take the best of both because both are very important. It's hard execute a good idea if you don't have the tools to do it, but it's also hard to create something compelling if you have great skill but no good ideas.

Wizzy wrote:I agree with this. Big tracks are always epic, I want to collaborate with people more so big projects are a bit more realistic in terms of a time-frame. I thought about recruiting for a "line film" studio here. My tastes are very different when it comes to this game, though. I want it to change. A lot.

I am glad to see people are still playing and Raf always knocks it out of the park, so I'm looking forward to this. Narratives aren't really my thing in naked tracks but this one looks interesting. Hope to see it soon, at least.
Heh thanks Wizzy, that means a lot from you Smile

Sheldon wrote:Awesome but why are you torturing yourself by making this in flash...?
I recorded it in flash because I still hate the new scarf and also because I don't know how to put LRA on fullscreen on a Mac. I'm a noob with LRA anyway, lol.

Apple wrote:I love that song which just makes what you have here even better. I'm really excited to see this.
Thanks dude Smile
Helios Pavonine wrote:I'm always excited for a new Raf project. However, your life's work is all your tracks - not just this one :P
I see your point, but what I mean by life's work is that I want this to be some kind of biography about my life.

Lukking wrote:havn't seen this much story since hea or night rider. im hyped to the max dude if you need any help with animation stuff hit me up! also im sure you are able to finish this. you did it with jam too!

how long will the track be?
I will man, thanks! Gotta finish the naked track first though which is booring to make ;_;  It'll be 3 minutes and a half.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm

I should probably clarify—it's not black or white. Line Rider isn't just "low-effort random stuff" and "high-effort masterpiece" with no in-between. The track jam this year proved that given short, discrete periods of time, people can make creative and interesting tracks.

Regarding the DnB idea analogy: I don't think it's that black-and-white, either. Sometimes, it's important to ask yourself "could I express this concept with less?" So in a sense, the "low-skill" tracks aren't because the creator can't make high-intensity stuff, but rather decided that that particular tool was not the best way to communicate that particular concept. I don't think the schism between complex and simple tracks is necessarily bad, but I am firmly against complexity for its own sake in the tracks I make.

Regarding complexity increasing, I'm not entirely sure that the tendency is to always get more complex. I mean, I made The Forest Under The Earth immediately after The Friggin' Gorge of all things, and in some ways, I think TFUTE is stronger, conceptually and narratively, than The Gorge, even though TFUTE is quite simple. I'm proud of both, but it's clear the first was more critically acclaimed because of its complexity.

Thanks for opening this up to conversation, it's been a while since I've had a good discussion about LR.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Extremely late reaction, sorry :P
OTDE wrote:I should probably clarify—it's not black or white. Line Rider isn't just "low-effort random stuff" and "high-effort masterpiece" with no in-between. The track jam this year proved that given short, discrete periods of time, people can make creative and interesting tracks.

Regarding the DnB idea analogy: I don't think it's that black-and-white, either. Sometimes, it's important to ask yourself "could I express this concept with less?" So in a sense, the "low-skill" tracks aren't because the creator can't make high-intensity stuff, but rather decided that that particular tool was not the best way to communicate that particular concept. I don't think the schism between complex and simple tracks is necessarily bad, but I am firmly against complexity for its own sake in the tracks I make.
I agree with completely with both points. Less is definitely more! I think the display of skill isn't necessarily complexity of ideas, but also proper execution of the idea. Meaning, in tracks, you have to think about every single move you make and perform your tricks exactly how you have them in mind. It can take a lot of effort, but proper execution makes any track better. There's a limit though. At some point improving the performance of your tricks will take so much effort it's very low reward for how much time you spend on it. A shiny silver ring is prettier than a dusty gold one, but you can't polish a silver ring into gold. The idea determines the potential of a track, the execution determines how much of that potential is reached. The key is finding a balance between the two that takes the gets the best and quickest results (all my opinion).
With music it's the same, and good sound design can cover up a poor songwriting just as good songwriting can cover up poor sound design. What I can really admire though is artists who make tracks that have an amazing idea ánd amazing execution. One of my favourite songs right now is this track. The song is minimalistic and simple but the balance between and quality of all the elements makes it feel so alive! They took a hell lot of time on that too.

Regarding complexity increasing, I'm not entirely sure that the tendency is to always get more complex. I mean, I made The Forest Under The Earth immediately after The Friggin' Gorge of all things, and in some ways, I think TFUTE is stronger, conceptually and narratively, than The Gorge, even though TFUTE is quite simple. I'm proud of both, but it's clear the first was more critically acclaimed because of its complexity.
Nah, it's not always increasing. The popular balance will always fluctuate.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm

words have been said
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wordshavebeensaid Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:08 pm

words have been said
wordshavebeensaid
wordshavebeensaid

words have been said

Back to top Go down

Post by alpha leonis Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:15 pm

I do believe that the verbal communication has been performed and sent by the mouth.

alpha leonis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down