We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUGGESTION: Ditch TD

+35
Binglinerider
Summoning
LineMagiX
Votale
Buzz
aspi33
chaomocha
Johnny Bravo III ESQ
LineBeast
Noname219
Rafael
14mRh4X0r
baconat0r
Ktk
Wizzy
Blesshiscottonsocks
Wolf_Spirit
Lone Rocket
Josro
ACwazHere
Hedgehogs4Me
Nubcake
mhenr18
Mikeee7787
Kayped
rabid squirrel
Kohuda
Cereal
Corruption
IGotGreasyBalls
darklight
LineRiderGjert
MartinJulenissen
Smitsy
FlagCapper
39 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SUGGESTION: Ditch TD Empty SUGGESTION: Ditch TD

Post by FlagCapper Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm

I don't know what's going on with Techdawg right now, if he has real problems or whatever, but right now he's just plain unreliable. He comes on to change the site message after four months and then abruptly leaves. Even if the real IRTL was brought back up we would never be able to get any updates out of him, and he would never be around to do or approve any admin work.

So just use www.weridethelines.com. Get that free vBullitien site .RevO was going to set up and run WRTL by our/yourselves. There's no advantage to waiting for TD.

Also, can rabid change the message on /forum/? If so, he can probably make it redirect to weridethelines or this temp site.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

SUGGESTION: Ditch TD Empty Re: SUGGESTION: Ditch TD

Post by Smitsy Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:00 pm

I love how everyone supports there admins.

but meh

i wasnt on old IRtL so i probably dont get a say :/
Smitsy
Smitsy

Back to top Go down

Post by MartinJulenissen Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:20 pm

TD is working hard, and i dont want to ditch him, if he fix it then ill move, idc what peoples say
MartinJulenissen
MartinJulenissen

Back to top Go down

Post by LineRiderGjert Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 pm

TechDawg's movies are still the thing bringing us the most members, I think. Can't change those. I say we just try to get TD to give Rabid the pass to the root acc, whenever he suddenly appears again.
LineRiderGjert
LineRiderGjert
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by darklight Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

i dunno, td is the reason that most people here joined and started playing LR, so I think we should stick with him. I mean, he's techdawg, the most famous LR player on the internet!
darklight
darklight

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:53 pm

The only thing that speaks to using the old site is what LRG said. If we used weridethelines.com we would have root password and rabid could customize the site to our preferences. And as FC said even though its Techdawg he isn't there anyways so why is that a big thing for you.
Make a poll FC 8D
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

https://dinnertrader.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Corruption Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:05 pm

TD is living below the poverty line and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a job
give him a f*** break
Corruption
Corruption

Back to top Go down

Post by darklight Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:07 pm

IGotGreasyBalls wrote:The only thing that speaks to using the old site is what LRG said. If we used weridethelines.com we would have root password and rabid could customize the site to our preferences. And as FC said even though its Techdawg he isn't there anyways so why is that a big thing for you.
Make a poll FC 8D

no one would join- they would see the "go to iridethelines" statements on td's vids and when they searched for irtl, they wouldn't be able to find it.
darklight
darklight

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

darklight wrote:
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:The only thing that speaks to using the old site is what LRG said. If we used weridethelines.com we would have root password and rabid could customize the site to our preferences. And as FC said even though its Techdawg he isn't there anyways so why is that a big thing for you.
Make a poll FC 8D

no one would join- they would see the "go to iridethelines" statements on td's vids and when they searched for irtl, they wouldn't be able to find it.

Yes thats exactly what i said :facepalm:
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't think that just ditching him is the answer, we need to at least figure out away to direct members to this site instead UNTIL he get's the old site back up (if possible).
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohuda Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:36 pm

I belive in that Dawg.
Kohuda
Kohuda

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I agree, he's extremely unreliable and it's to the point of ridiculous. Even if he is below the poverty line, that's no excuse for saying that he can run the site and then not doing it, or making promises and then not only breaking them, but never apologizing and not even responding for months. We don't want him to overhaul the site, we just want root access. He just had some grand idea that upgrading to vB 3.8 is good (it's not) and then never finished doing it.

But I'm in a frustrating situation.

I can change the message on /forums/ (the old old site) but not on /forum/ (the new old site) because he didn't set my admin privs on that one (I barely have access to anything. I can't change forums, I can't search for users, I can't administrate usergroups or ranks...). And the "forums" tab on www.iridethelines.com was changed to the /forum/ one. >.>

I could set up the new wrtl site, but we have several problems:
  1. I don't have a vB license. That means I can't install hax unless I have RevO's email, or he does it (and he hasn't responded after I gave him a list of hax) - look at the forum and notice all the features that are missing: http://www.testwrtl.co.cc/
  2. RevO's host sucks. It has downtime all the time, and it claims "unlimited" for like, everything, which is a red flag for problems.
  3. I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org or something like that.

The best option, if I had unlimited supplies of $$$, would be to do it all myself - buy a vB license ($180 I think), get webhosting ($60/year) and buy the domain from mhenr ($10/year)

What I don't want to do is invest a crapload of money (which I kinda need for college) and the have TD be like "loljk!" and open the old site up. Maybe if someone else was willing to pay for it or something - I have a credit card and could get a Paypal account.

Btw, this exact same discussion took place in Team Place like 3-4 days ago.

EDIT: I think we decided that if October passes and nothing happens, we'll overhaul the old old site and open it up, limited as it is, it's the old site we all remember.

Last edited by rabid squirrel on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:49 pm

*coughthepiratebay.orgcough* that takes care of the vbulletin.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayped Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:55 pm

no matter what we say in here, nothing can change in the old site. you dont have root access, td isnt responding again, so everyone would look at his videos and website, and they would be stopped dead in their tracks. Unless TD comes along and fixes everything, or redirects old irtl to wrtl, were stuck with what weve got.

give him time, like corr said, hes going through a tough time.
Kayped
Kayped

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikeee7787 Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:14 pm

I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is
really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the
old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org
or something like that.

I have said it before. If you can find someone willing to code it, I will design a skin and buttons. The whole shazam.
Mikeee7787
Mikeee7787

Back to top Go down

Post by Corruption Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:25 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:I agree, he's extremely unreliable and it's to the point of ridiculous. Even if he is below the poverty line, that's no excuse for saying that he can run the site and then not doing it, or making promises and then not only breaking them, but never apologizing and not even responding for months. We don't want him to overhaul the site, we just want root access. He just had some grand idea that upgrading to vB 3.8 is good (it's not) and then never finished doing it.

don't you think it would be more important for TD to be out looking for a job rather than spending hours on setting up a forum..? CUT HIM SOME SLACK.
Corruption
Corruption

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Corruption wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:I agree, he's extremely unreliable and it's to the point of ridiculous. Even if he is below the poverty line, that's no excuse for saying that he can run the site and then not doing it, or making promises and then not only breaking them, but never apologizing and not even responding for months. We don't want him to overhaul the site, we just want root access. He just had some grand idea that upgrading to vB 3.8 is good (it's not) and then never finished doing it.

don't you think it would be more important for TD to be out looking for a job rather than spending hours on setting up a forum..? CUT HIM SOME SLACK.

Well thats no excuse for making promises he can't keep. Maybe thats why he has no job.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Corruption Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 pm

IGotGreasyBalls wrote:
Well thats no excuse for making promises he can't keep. Maybe thats why he has no job.

Maybe he can't keep them because of his current situation. I'm pretty sure he's right in using his time doing other things than doing maintenance on a line rider website. Have some f*** respect.
Corruption
Corruption

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayped Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Honestly, I would be doing the same thing if i was TD. Corr is right, who would spend time modifying a line rider website when your whole life is at stake.

Come on guys, be realistic.
Kayped
Kayped

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm

If we're prepared to pay for hosting for a whole new site, why aren't we prepared to pay for TD's hosting?

Pay for his hosting, get FTP access to the forums only. It's a reasonable request if you're paying.

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nubcake Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 pm

this whole debate kind of worries me.

I think if this debate gets out of hand, we would have 2 groups of people, people who are loyal to techdawg, and people who want to ditch him, just totally being dicks all over the forum.

also corr is right, he doesn't have a job, and i don't think anybody has the right to blame him not keeping promises as the reason for losing his job.WE ARE IN A FREAKING RECESSION PEOPLE!!!!!!!! he probably just got cut like a bunch of other people.

but what rabid said is reasonable, if he deosn't do anything after popping in, getting the old site back up (kinda) and getting everybody's hopes up, we should have a reasonable argument to ditch him.

until then, we just let life play out.
Nubcake
Nubcake

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I agree with mhenr, I'm getting kinda fed up with TD but it would be nice to keep the domain so people are still attracted to it since it's linked to on all TD's tracks. If he's really working on it, why not just leave a little note that says "I'm working on it, don't go abandoning me!" =/
And heck, if he's busy getting a job to pay his bills and then spending some of the money on hosting and domain stuff for a site he doesn't have enough time to maintain, why doesn't he offer to sell it to us? At least then we could have an opportunity to accept or decline, and if we have enough money to accept, it's a win win.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:I could set up the new wrtl site, but we have several problems: I don't have a vB license. That means I can't install hax unless I have RevO's email, or he does it (and he hasn't responded after I gave him a list of hax) - look at the forum and notice all the features that are missing: http://www.testwrtl.co.cc/
Two solutions to this one. One, you can use phpBB, it's free and opensource and just as good (IMO). The second solution is the brilliant one IGGB came up with. Believe it or not, old IRTL is a pirated site.
RevO's host sucks. It has downtime all the time, and it claims "unlimited" for like, everything, which is a red flag for problems.
HostGator? From what I've heard they're pretty reliable.

I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org or something like that.
I don't know how the vBullitien skin system works, but all a skin is a stylesheet that is inserted into a wepage. That means if a skin is just a .css file and a couple images (which I'm guessing it is), it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the old IRTL skin. Mhenr or I could probably help you, probably.

Second, IGGB knows what he's talking about, listen to this man. I understand that IRTL may not be TD's top priority, but if it isn't his top priority than there's no reason to wait for him, esspcially when he's promising to bring the site up and completely forgets about it.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:09 am

Flag, it was only pirated in the first 2 weeks before it opened, so TD could see if he liked it. Moment the vB site went live, he paid for it. If it was pirated, we'd be constantly updating vB versions, we didn't because we couldn't afford it.

Also, why should we have 2 groups of people paying for 2 sets of identical hosting to try and accomplish the same thing? TD will still pay for the hosting because it's not just the forums, so we'd be wasting money. If we help him pay, he'd probably give us root access. BHCS and I have already donated some money to him, we need more people to help!

Rev isn't with HostGator SUGGESTION: Ditch TD Icon_wink

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:05 am

Corruption wrote:
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:

Maybe he can't keep them because of his current situation. I'm pretty sure he's right in using his time doing other things than doing maintenance on a line rider website. Have some f*** respect.

Yeah he lost his job and don't have time for the site. Thats no reason to make promises he can't keep. He should just not make those promises. I have no respect for that.

I don't see how donating money to TD will help him at all. His life situation is something he needs to figure out himself, theres no miracle linerider donation life is tough and its not like our money would be sufficient for anything. Yeah it would be enough to pay for the site, but he can't use that for anything. Besides as people have been saying he doesn't really have time for the site so why would we wait for him to do it.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next