We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUGGESTION: Ditch TD

+35
Binglinerider
Summoning
LineMagiX
Votale
Buzz
aspi33
chaomocha
Johnny Bravo III ESQ
LineBeast
Noname219
Rafael
14mRh4X0r
baconat0r
Ktk
Wizzy
Blesshiscottonsocks
Wolf_Spirit
Lone Rocket
Josro
ACwazHere
Hedgehogs4Me
Nubcake
mhenr18
Mikeee7787
Kayped
rabid squirrel
Kohuda
Cereal
Corruption
IGotGreasyBalls
darklight
LineRiderGjert
MartinJulenissen
Smitsy
FlagCapper
39 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

SUGGESTION: Ditch TD - Page 2 Empty Re: SUGGESTION: Ditch TD

Post by mhenr18 Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:15 am

Yeah, you really are a w*** IGGB. I have no respect for you.

What your basically proposing is to say "Get f***ed" to TD and not help the person who set up the original site when he needs it most. Yeah, really nice. He never even promised anything, he's just found some time and done some work on IRtL. No promises. So go baw about something else.

The man is lucky to be alive, and he's got a rod in one of his legs. It's not his fault that it's hard for him to find work, on top of the recession crap that's going on. Lets smash one of your legs and see how much of a brat you'd be then.

If we pay for the hosting + vB license, that's around $280 a year that TD will save. It means that our admins will get root access to the site, it will stay as iridethelines.com/forums, which will mean that we get more people joining, and we get to use the old forums with all the hacks and themes which we all like.

We'd be paying the same amount of money if we made our own site anyway. Why not just pay for IRtL?

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 am

We know that TD doesn't have much time for the site, but no matter what the situation, he has came on and saved the day at some point... It's sick that when he needs help the most, you guys want to leave him the most.

+ One reason why we had so many new members on IRTL was the fact that TD's the owner; making a new site would basically have the same members as always plus a few more here and there...
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 am

mhenr18 wrote:Flag, it was only pirated in the first 2 weeks before it opened, so TD could see if he liked it. Moment the vB site went live, he paid for it. If it was pirated, we'd be constantly updating vB versions, we didn't because we couldn't afford it.
I only said it was pirated because I remember you telling me it was once so... xD

Also, why should we have 2 groups of people paying for 2 sets of identical hosting to try and accomplish the same thing? TD will still pay for the hosting because it's not just the forums, so we'd be wasting money. If we help him pay, he'd probably give us root access. BHCS and I have already donated some money to him, we need more people to help!
Because TD is inactive. We could donate all the money he needs and he still might not show up. The idea of starting our own site is so we don't have to rely on TD and bug him to do something that obviously isn't his top priority.

Rev isn't with HostGator SUGGESTION: Ditch TD - Page 2 Icon_wink
Well he used to be, I think.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 am

Flag, all he needs to do is do one thing, and then activity isn't an issue.
Once we get FTP access, TD will be freed up a lot.

And being able to contact his kids is always handy Wink

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

mhenr18 wrote:Flag, all he needs to do is do one thing, and then activity isn't an issue.
Once we get FTP access, TD will be freed up a lot.

And being able to contact his kids is always handy SUGGESTION: Ditch TD - Page 2 Icon_wink
Is he going to give you FTP access?

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:44 am

No, the admins. I'm not stupid :P

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:45 am

I think line rider died Hehe

/sorryspam
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Josro Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:01 am

i dont think we should ditch him :| i mean who started the site? TD who made it great? TD who was the admin there? TD you cant just ditch him Smile
Josro
Josro

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 am

Okay mhenr how do you want to help him. By giving him 280$? That will surely give him food and shelter for a lifetime. He doesn't need a onetime donation, he needs a stable income. And as FC pointed out is he gonna give us FTP access? Why would he give away his site to us, it probably means more to him than just the money.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

https://dinnertrader.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LineRiderGjert Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 am

I agree with Corr here.
You wouldn't f*** care about a god damn website with around 100 semi-active members, when your whole life is upside-down. Making promises on teh internet is something we all do, all the freakin time. And we've all broken atleast one of them.

You guys always say LR < RL. Where is that now? Does it suddenly not count since we're talking about TD, doesn't he deserve to have a life himself?

Honestly, if I was TD, I would ditch all of you by now, and IRtL, because of all the freakin hate you guys are throwing at him.
LineRiderGjert
LineRiderGjert
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am

LineRiderGjert wrote:I agree with Corr here.
You wouldn't f*** care about a god damn website with around 100 semi-active members, when your whole life is upside-down. Making promises on teh internet is something we all do, all the freakin time. And we've all broken atleast one of them.

You guys always say LR < RL. Where is that now? Does it suddenly not count since we're talking about TD, doesn't he deserve to have a life himself?

Honestly, if I was TD, I would ditch all of you by now, and IRtL, because of all the freakin hate you guys are throwing at him.

Okay so you basically say that he doesn't care about irtl at all. Then why would we wait for him to make the site, let alone expect it to happen?
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by LineRiderGjert Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am

^I said, I wouldn't care, and neither would you. TD still does, and that's amazing.
I'm pretty darn sure he cares, he showed us that when he came back a month ago (or how long it's been). Even tho he has that much to do, he still says he'll get the site up.
LineRiderGjert
LineRiderGjert
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 am

Yes LRG, but the issue that FC pointed out is the unreliabilty and that we are bound to a few admin privileges. We can't customise the site in any way and if we need something special done we need TD. Well since TD only shows up once every year like the legends say Eep we can't get those things done. The issue lies in relying on a person that doesn't have time for us to do certain things for us.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by LineRiderGjert Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 am

^I see your point, but after all it is TD's site, even tho he's not active,and he should be the one to have the final word. We could always ask him if he could give Rabid the root, nothing wrong with that.
LineRiderGjert
LineRiderGjert
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 pm

A few different issues I want to address...

ISSUE #1 - vB/license/host
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:*coughthepiratebay.orgcough* that takes care of the vbulletin.
FlagCapper wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:I could set up the new wrtl site, but we have several problems: I don't have a vB license. That means I can't install hax unless I have RevO's email, or he does it (and he hasn't responded after I gave him a list of hax) - look at the forum and notice all the features that are missing: http://www.testwrtl.co.cc/
Two solutions to this one. One, you can use phpBB, it's free and opensource and just as good (IMO). The second solution is the brilliant one IGGB came up with.
Yeah...no. If I pirate it, then I can't install hax from vB.org (would have to pirate them too) - plus, I'm pretty much against pirating stuff. Paying money is what drives economies and pirating is just selfish.

phBB.... if we install that, then we almost might as well stay here? The only difference would be that I could install phBB hax.
FlagCapper wrote:
RevO's host sucks. It has downtime all the time, and it claims "unlimited" for like, everything, which is a red flag for problems.
HostGator? From what I've heard they're pretty reliable.
The reason RevO was offering me a host was that he was given it for free on a GFX site. (anyway, mhenr showed me a great site that he said has had zero downtime in over a year, it's $5/month)

ISSUE #2 - skin
Mikeee7787 wrote:I have said it before. If you can find someone willing to code it, I will design a skin and buttons. The whole shazam.
FlagCapper wrote:
I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org or something like that.
I don't know how the vBullitien skin system works, but all a skin is a stylesheet that is inserted into a wepage. That means if a skin is just a .css file and a couple images (which I'm guessing it is), it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the old IRTL skin. Mhenr or I could probably help you, probably.
Ok, who even knows how to code it??? Here's what the "Styles and Templates" section of vB looks like:
https://2img.net/h/oi36.tinypic.com/sb7fbn.png
https://2img.net/h/oi34.tinypic.com/aakqpv.png
BTW, that's about 5% of the entire page, and it only gets more confusing as it goes down. It's ridiculous. I don't even know how I would change the title image without destroying something. It makes "Advanced" mode on forumotion look like first grade math.

ISSUE #3 - TD's inactivity
mhenr18 wrote:If we're prepared to pay for hosting for a whole new site, why aren't we prepared to pay for TD's hosting?
Pay for his hosting, get FTP access to the forums only. It's a reasonable request if you're paying.
mhenr18 wrote:Why should we have 2 groups of people paying for 2 sets of identical hosting to try and accomplish the same thing? TD will still pay for the hosting because it's not just the forums, so we'd be wasting money. If we help him pay, he'd probably give us root access.
I haven't even been able to CONTACT him. I left two messages on his home phone and never got an answer. He never even said anything about the calls or about my email to his personal email that FlagCapper got. I wish I could ask him about this kind of stuff.
Corruption wrote:don't you think it would be more important for TD to be out looking for a job rather than spending hours on setting up a forum..? CUT HIM SOME SLACK.
KillaPenguin wrote:Honestly, I would be doing the same thing if i was TD. Corr is right, who would spend time modifying a line rider website when your whole life is at stake.
Come on guys, be realistic.
Corruption wrote:Maybe he can't keep them because of his current situation. I'm pretty sure he's right in using his time doing other things than doing maintenance on a line rider website. Have some f*** respect.
LineRiderGjert wrote:I agree with Corr here.
Hedgehogs4Me wrote:I'm getting kinda fed up with TD but it would be nice to keep the domain so people are still attracted to it since it's linked to on all TD's tracks. If he's really working on it, why not just leave a little note that says "I'm working on it, don't go abandoning me!" =/
And heck, if he's busy getting a job to pay his bills and then spending some of the money on hosting and domain stuff for a site he doesn't have enough time to maintain, why doesn't he offer to sell it to us? At least then we could have an opportunity to accept or decline, and if we have enough money to accept, it's a win win.
^ I couldn't agree with Hedge more. Read what he said.
LineRiderGjert wrote:it is TD's site, even tho he's not active,and he should be the one to have the final word. We could always ask him if he could give Rabid the root, nothing wrong with that.
Yes there is. HE IS UNRESPONSIVE. I've been trying to ask him for MONTHS now.

I will repeat. I understand he is having a hard time in his life right now, but if he could just tell us what is going on, or give us the website, or even offer to sell us it. Breaking promises is one thing, but breaking them and then disappearing for four months is just, well, infuriating. If he couldn't do anything on the site anymore, I wish he would just say "sorry guys, I can't do anything. you'll have to go make your own site if you want to."

I just hate it when he says "It'll be up in a month" and then it takes 4 months, without any note of "I'm still working on it guys!" and then when he finally turns up, he just says "hey, the site will be up in a day" and then disappears for 2 weeks. Sure I've unintentionally broken promises, but always apologized within the next few days, or given updates of what is going on and why I couldn't do it. If you don't have time anymore, just TELL us!
ACwazHere wrote:We know that TD doesn't have much time for the site, but no matter what the situation, he has came on and saved the day at some point... It's sick that when he needs help the most, you guys want to leave him the most.
If he gave us any opportunity to help we would be all for it! I would anyway, short of paying him money (Which wouldn't be very helpful anyway, as I don't have much I can afford to give, and as IGGB said, he needs a stable income more than just some cash:
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:Okay mhenr how do you want to help him. By giving him 280$? That will surely give him food and shelter for a lifetime. He doesn't need a onetime donation, he needs a stable income.
-----
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:Well thats no excuse for making promises he can't keep. Maybe thats why he has no job.
mhenr18 wrote:The man is lucky to be alive, and he's got a rod in one of his legs. It's not his fault that it's hard for him to find work, on top of the recession crap that's going on. Lets smash one of your legs and see how much of a brat you'd be then.
However, both of your are being a bit excessive and verging on downright mean and/or judgmental. I am not making any judgment about him as a person, and I don't think it is our place to do that anyway. How many of you actually know him? I barely can say I know him. I have had a few MSN convos, a few thread convos, and one lunch, and I believe I know him better than anyone else on the site.

-----

Sorry for the uberlong post... it's mostly quotes.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Rocket Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 am

Mikeee7787 wrote:
I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is
really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the
old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org
or something like that.

I have said it before. If you can find someone willing to code it, I will design a skin and buttons. The whole shazam.
I know like 4 people that run 7 or more professional vB forums, and they can re-code a psd.
Lone Rocket
Lone Rocket

Back to top Go down

Post by IGotGreasyBalls Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:15 am

Wow someone is on a -rep spree here lol.
IGotGreasyBalls
IGotGreasyBalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:56 am

Well I think we should stay here, and if TD wants to continue with the website, we'll let him and join again if it comes up, I mean, now money's involved everything's more complicated, I'm agreeing with corr here, if he's below the poverty line, why the f*** should he care about a website? Only if he wants to continue with it, we should help him, we don't want to pressure him into paying for anything.
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 pm

IGotGreasyBalls wrote:Wow someone is on a -rep spree here lol.
I don't like it when people flame other people to try to make them understand their point :|
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:11 pm

first point-

no.

second point-

same as above.

you don't you make your own forum? or wait, i know why! it will die because it will get no publicity. .com, .org and IRTL are the most well known and will be found by new users, mostly because of TDs influence. google "line rider forum" this one doesn't come up.

go ahead and make your own forum, while i stand on the sidelines and watch you FAIL.
Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:40 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:A few different issues I want to address...

ISSUE #1 - vB/license/host
IGotGreasyBalls wrote:*coughthepiratebay.orgcough* that takes care of the vbulletin.
FlagCapper wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:I could set up the new wrtl site, but we have several problems: I don't have a vB license. That means I can't install hax unless I have RevO's email, or he does it (and he hasn't responded after I gave him a list of hax) - look at the forum and notice all the features that are missing: http://www.testwrtl.co.cc/
Two solutions to this one. One, you can use phpBB, it's free and opensource and just as good (IMO). The second solution is the brilliant one IGGB came up with.
Yeah...no. If I pirate it, then I can't install hax from vB.org (would have to pirate them too) - plus, I'm pretty much against pirating stuff. Paying money is what drives economies and pirating is just selfish.

phBB.... if we install that, then we almost might as well stay here? The only difference would be that I could install phBB hax.
FlagCapper wrote:
RevO's host sucks. It has downtime all the time, and it claims "unlimited" for like, everything, which is a red flag for problems.
HostGator? From what I've heard they're pretty reliable.
The reason RevO was offering me a host was that he was given it for free on a GFX site. (anyway, mhenr showed me a great site that he said has had zero downtime in over a year, it's $5/month)
I've been thinking about it, and I may, may be willing to host. I can put it on the same server I run ELR off of, however, there are several conditions, problems etc.

1. I don't know if the server is fast enough to run a full-fledged forum. It's a pretty old computer, although it handles ELR reasonably that's mainly because ELR is a very simple website.
2. I would put my own advertising, sorry, but hosting isn't free anywhere.
3. I'd probably be running phpBB.

Your best bet is probably to go with an actual hosting company, but I'm just putting that out there. I can give it a try.

ISSUE #2 - skin
Mikeee7787 wrote:I have said it before. If you can find someone willing to code it, I will design a skin and buttons. The whole shazam.
FlagCapper wrote:
I dunno how to design templates or skins or modify them (vB system is really complex), so I doubt whatever we get will look remotely like the old IRTL, and it'll have to be something available from vbulletin.org or something like that.
I don't know how the vBullitien skin system works, but all a skin is a stylesheet that is inserted into a wepage. That means if a skin is just a .css file and a couple images (which I'm guessing it is), it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the old IRTL skin. Mhenr or I could probably help you, probably.
Ok, who even knows how to code it??? Here's what the "Styles and Templates" section of vB looks like:
https://2img.net/h/oi36.tinypic.com/sb7fbn.png
https://2img.net/h/oi34.tinypic.com/aakqpv.png
BTW, that's about 5% of the entire page, and it only gets more confusing as it goes down. It's ridiculous. I don't even know how I would change the title image without destroying something. It makes "Advanced" mode on forumotion look like first grade math.
I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, it would take a bit of time though. Mhenr would probably also be a good bet.
first point-

no.

second point-

same as above.

you
don't you make your own forum? or wait, i know why! it will die because
it will get no publicity. .com, .org and IRTL are the most well known
and will be found by new users, mostly because of TDs influence. google
"line rider forum" this one doesn't come up.

go ahead and make your own forum, while i stand on the sidelines and watch you FAIL.
Yes BHCS, most of the 11 year olds that make free forums fail miserably. You know why? Becuase they haven't a clue on what it takes to run a website. Marketing a website isn't rocket science, it just takes a little bit of thinking, and a little bit of internet knowledge.

Second, just because you used google and google didn't point to this website, does not mean that we can't advance in search rankings. Unfortunately, you have no understanding of how the internet works.

TOO ALL THE PEOPLE CLAIMING THEY CAN MAKE A SKIN IN PHOTOSHOP
SUGGESTION: Ditch TD - Page 2 Facepalm

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 pm

I miss the old IRtL. I wish TD was still here. I wish this site was never created and IRtL never hacked. I hope that the future isn't so chaotic.

Techdawg paid for the site and was the one who started scenery monster madness, why should we just slap him in the face and steal what he's paid for? He's a grown man for cryin' out loud, the last thing on his mind is a toy. I'm not saying we're stealing him money, I'm just saying, he's the one who kind of started the whole thing.

In his greatest time of need of us, we go and leave him out in the dust. Really nice, don't you think?

Anyway, I say we WAIT a little longer to make any further decisions, but that's my opinion, it's entirely up to the staff but I think they'll make the right choice.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Do a merge. DURP OBVIOUS SOLUTION

PROBLEM 1: INVOLVES TD TO HAVE SAY A ONE HOUR SESSION TO FIX IRTL WITH RABID.

PROBLEM 1 PROBLEM 2: INVOLVES TD SHOWING UP MORE THAN ONCE A LUNAR ECLIPSE

The friendly idea that [don'tditchTd/conservative]people want is that we simply move to IRTL.

The revolutionary idea that [ditchTd/"radical/revolutionary"]people want is that we ditch TD and make WRTL

when we could have a moderate idea in which we make a forum with TD's support and a good amount of power over it. Unfortunately this involves having root admin access, which I doubt TD will do after this fiasco we got here.

edit: why do we want irtl back again? // why do we want to leave?

If you think LR is not dying, don't bother reading below

We're going to have to face the facts that people simply aren't interested in Line Rider anymore - it's like Digimon but no TV reruns. An obscure, small community in the Internet, and people will of course stream in, albeit really slowly. Look at the scenery videos! They have tens of thousands of views yet NO ONE joins these forums anymore. Figure it as a TV show. You watch it, but you don't want to make it. There's the Internet for you. Having a link to iridethelines.forumotion.com isn't any different from having a link to weridethelines.com, (irtl is special because it has legacy) and the situation will be the same. But! We get nice icons and custom skins. Is that really important?

Pessimism at its finest. QQ'ing at its peak.
Ktk
Ktk

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 pm

Wizzy wrote:I miss the old IRtL. I wish TD was still here. I wish this site was never created and IRtL never hacked. I hope that the future isn't so chaotic.
Sad

Techdawg paid for the site and was the one who started scenery monster madness, why should we just slap him in the face and steal what he's paid for?
Wtf. First of all, TD has advertisements on IRTL that more that more than cover a $5 - 10 a month hosting fee. Second, we're not "stealing" anything. We're making a new website, he still has IRTL.
He's a grown man for cryin' out loud, the last thing on his mind is a toy.
Exactly, I fully agree with you. Why on Earth should TechDawg care about line rider anymore? The guy is 40, he has kids, he needs a job, and he definately doesn't need us bugging him about things all the time that he clearly does not want to do. If he doesn't have time for line rider, why are we trying to make him make time for us?
I'm not saying we're stealing him money, I'm just saying, he's the one who kind of started the whole thing.
And? He doesn't seem to be eagar to continue it.
In his greatest time of need of us, we go and leave him out in the dust. Really nice, don't you think?
He doesn't need us at all. He needs a job, a steady income. He needs to take care of his kids, etc. He doesn't need to worry about a line rider website. He doesn't want to worry about a line rider website, nobody is busy 24 hours a day seven days a week that they don't have time for a few hour job of bring the website back up. So why shouldn't the people who care about making a line rider website run the line rider website themselves, instead of relying on someone who obviously doesn't have it on his priority list.
Anyway, I say we WAIT a little longer to make any further decisions, but that's my opinion, it's entirely up to the staff but I think they'll make the right choice.
We've been waiting for over four months now. Seriously, you're making a weak appeal to emotion that makes zero sense whatsoever. Why do you think he doesn't respond to phone calls? Emails? Why do you think he's failed to bring IRTL back up for over four months? Do you honestly think that we are the ones ditching him? Looks to me like he ditched us.

Not that I blame him, he clearly has more important stuff to worry about. But we're the ones that want a site.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Well, guys, I have the answer: I asked the Magic 8 Ball about this..

"Should we ditch Techdawg?"

"Forget about it"

wizzy wins.
Ktk
Ktk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next