We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line Rider Confession Thread

+52
JealousCloud
Morgan
rich
austin4evr
FlagCapper
Noname219
Kohuda
shammies
Rie
SPL4SHZ0N3
Lankher
BenWubbleyou
Votale
pure5152
Sheldon
GhostY
iPi
Ph0enix
Conundrumer
Wizzy
Blesshiscottonsocks
weebit
Rafael
Apple
Pawel3
anton
crash2burn
Wolf_Spirit
Z_N-Freak
Mikeee7787
roflmaoqwerty
hypothet
theacp127
Commandercoke
mmtunligit
gaoyubao
WTB
OTDE
Getthim
Chuggers
ScrungleBlumpkus
efrazable
[senpai] kevans
SethComposerGuy
RyderLR
rabid squirrel
Fauxfyre
Yobanjojoe
Opal Rider
Lukking
Helios Pavonine
LineMagiX
56 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Line Rider Confession Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Line Rider Confession Thread

Post by Opal Rider Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 am

Anton wrote:current gods of flow and gravity defiance. Opal

The fact that I'm even on the same list as everyone here, all of whom had earned LCC in the past and/or had multiple features to back up their worth, is crazy to me. It's amazing that you think that, but woah.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:31 am

Anton wrote:I mean, why should I look up to the outdated when I can look to the current gods of flow and gravity defiance. E.G Sheldon, dap, gao, chuggers, Opal and OTDE (the list goes on. To whoever more I forgot: You probably know who you are). I mean, in theory, everything we are today is built upon the fundations anomaly and others built for us.
By all means! I just want everyone to be informed of the history behind it all
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:50 am

rabid squirrel wrote:
Anton wrote:I mean, why should I look up to the outdated when I can look to the current gods of flow and gravity defiance. E.G Sheldon, dap, gao, chuggers, Opal and OTDE (the list goes on. To whoever more I forgot: You probably know who you are). I mean, in theory, everything we are today is built upon the fundations anomaly and others built for us.
By all means! I just want everyone to be informed of the history behind it all

History is baloney Eep no one needs it Eep #TheFutureIsNow Eep #TrumpOurHero Eep

I will pull this back on track and confess my sins. Lilypadding is cool and all, but i don't care who invented it
anton
anton

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:12 pm

im the only person who doesnt jerk it over handlebars

i draw inspiration from being able to do everything better than everyone
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I'm fucking sick of all the technical dick-waving and egotism that's been getting really popular in quirk recently
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 pm

roflmaoqwerty wrote:I'm fucking sick of all the technical dick-waving and egotism that's been getting really popular in quirk recently

is this irony because of your track from the stream or am i missing something

either way, same here brother, its ruining the site and community and needs to stop right the hell now
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 pm

I quit for a month to find my inspiration outside of that
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Chuggers wrote:
roflmaoqwerty wrote:I'm fucking sick of all the technical dick-waving and egotism that's been getting really popular in quirk recently

either way, same here brother, its ruining the site and community and needs to stop right the hell now
The statement isn't ironic so much as my track is. I'm still a good bit buttmad about my idiocy on the stream, so that fueled my post significantly, but I guess I'm trying to make a point with my work-in-progress: power in quirk is often good, but power alone doesn't - and shouldn't - make a quirk "good." I also ought to clarify that I mean no offense to you, myself, or any "power quirkers" out there; I just wish the obsession with technicality wasn't so dangerously close to undermining quirk as an art form. Thanks for not taking this the wrong way, lol, I'm a bit calmer now Smile
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 pm

roflmaoqwerty wrote:
Chuggers wrote:

The statement isn't ironic so much as my track is. I'm still a good bit buttmad about my idiocy on the stream, so that fueled my post significantly, but I guess I'm trying to make a point with my work-in-progress: power in quirk is often good, but power alone doesn't - and shouldn't - make a quirk "good." I also ought to clarify that I mean no offense to you, myself, or any "power quirkers" out there; I just wish the obsession with technicality wasn't so dangerously close to undermining quirk as an art form. Thanks for not taking this the wrong way, lol, I'm a bit calmer now Smile

glad someone else is now fighting this battle with me

power is a gimmick, and one that gets old quicky

its so useful when power isnt used for power, but as a utility for mobility and overall feeling of a track
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 pm

The whole "power over everything" schtick happens because people become obsessed with a single aspect of a trackmaking skill, to the detriment of the overall experience. The thing these people forget is the the experience is EVERYTHING. Without it, the track is zip. Nada.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:26 am

The "power over everything" gimmick you're now jammerin' about hits me a bit too close to home. I've felt it these past days, I've been getting my stacks stronger and stronger, and it has noticably affected how I act in the community.

The control LRA gave me has only allowed me to strenghten my stacks, but not necessarily let me improve all around. I am nothing when it comes to rotation or flow. I fear once I am comfortable with heavy power quirk my enthusiasm for line rider will run out and I've therefore put the technical aspect on hold and started focusing on more laid back track making, as the only way to improve the non-technical is through experience.

TL;DR Stacks give me false sense of ability and I've noticed that so now I want to be masta of da rotation
anton
anton

cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 am

Anton wrote:The control LRA gave me has only allowed me to strengthen my stacks, but not necessarily let me improve all around. I am nothing when it comes to rotation or flow. I fear once I am comfortable with heavy power quirk my enthusiasm for line rider will run out and I've therefore put the technical aspect on hold and started focusing on more laid back track making, as the only way to improve the non-technical is through experience.

TL;DR Stacks give me false sense of ability and I've noticed that so now I want to be masta of da rotation

But we can't forget that it is a skill to stack like that and even if it's annoying that people brag about it all the time and stuff, it is impressive. I marvel at it sometimes because I just can't do it.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:07 pm

shua wrote:
Anton wrote:The control LRA gave me has only allowed me to strengthen my stacks, but not necessarily let me improve all around. I am nothing when it comes to rotation or flow. I fear once I am comfortable with heavy power quirk my enthusiasm for line rider will run out and I've therefore put the technical aspect on hold and started focusing on more laid back track making, as the only way to improve the non-technical is through experience.

But we can't forget that it is a skill to stack like that and even if it's annoying that people brag about it all the time and stuff, it is impressive. I marvel at it sometimes because I just can't do it.
I love this because it makes a distinction between one's ability and one's confidence.

I kinda like to make the analogy that quirk is like rap:
  • A lot of people do it, but .
  • Anyone can just rhyme sentences over a beat (string flings together), but the best of the best put feeling and energy into their work, and it shows.
  • Since it's a craft that requires dedication and skill, there's a culture of self-justification and one-upmanship, where everyone is trying to be the one to raise the bar.
  • With great talent often comes great ego (I'm looking at you Yeezy).
  • The aesthetic has become increasingly violent and intricate over time, to the point where no one can quite replicate the vibe of classic masterpieces.
  • The progression of technology has made it easier to get into the game, but only those with raw talent and artistic sensibilities can make it to the top.

I realize that this sounds elitist as fuck and I apologize for that. I'm certainly not claiming to be a "great" quirker or whatever artsy pretentious bullshit I cooked up in there, but I definitely see some parallels between these fields, chiefly that the atmosphere in both can often be competitive and confrontational for no reason other than the desire to improve.

Thanks guys for understanding my ill-thought-out one-sentence rant :P
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 pm

This whole power quirk sucks because it's now overused and people forgot how to make good tracks is bullshit. The reason people find it tiring is because new players who don't know the nuances to making great overall tracks are increasingly starting their LR career at insane levels (whether this is solely due to version development is irrelevant, I think part of it is just due to people wanting to mimic what's hot right now). So, as a result a lot of powerful tracks kinda suck because newbies don't get how to make great tracks. Dapianokid was exactly like this, up until last Spring when Inhibitions came out and it showed he could make powerful AND fun to watch, he just needed practice.

And Rofl, sorry to say but you are an excellent trackmaker, and your "parody" track will probably turn out really awesome (and kind of ruin the point of what you're trying to do) unless you intentionally make it bad, but from watching you stream you're taking care to make sure you don't make crappy parts. We just don't get a lot of good trackmakers pumping out tracks as quickly as the newbies anymore, and it has always been like this, because tracks that aren't good don't take a lot of work to do.

tl;dr the reason power quirk is bad is because noobs are doing it, and less great quirkers are putting out tracks

P.S. On a slightly related note, and one that is more opinionated, Kramwood probably also contributed to this because even though he is good, he put out a ton of tracks that didn't really grab people like his older stuff did, and his slew of technical-but-unimpressive releases also likely caused people to grow tired of the style.

come at me bros :rabid:

Last edited by Fauxfyre on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:54 pm

The question you need to ask yourself, Shotoku, is the following: what is it that makes "great" quirkers great? The bitter pill that everyone will have to swallow sooner or later is that presentation is everything. Say whatever you want about rofl's "power parody," but it will definitely be successful if he edits it in the style of Kramwood. And that's exactly what rofl is trying to say, if I'm reading this correctly-- that no matter how "good" a track is, bad presentation can ruin it in an instant.

Imagine, for example, that leomur released a full-fledged, two-minute track in the style of Twinkle. If he presented it like he does with all of his tracks, there would probably be a collective pants-shitting from everyone here.

Now imagine that the track had an annoying, rambling, two-minute intro about how he, Leomur, was the apex quirker, and that he had returned to establish dominion. Imagine that the music was "Bill Bellamy" by Lil B (TYBG). Imagine that nothing synced even close. When you destroy the presentation-- the aesthetic, the simplicity of his editing, the subtle cues and hits with every stop and go in the track-- you destroy everything that makes Leomur's tracks enjoyable to watch. Granted, I'd still shit my pants if Leomur released exactly that, but I and the rest of the community would follow that pants-shitting with a resounding "why would you do that, Leomur?

That's the thing that quirkers can sometimes miss-- the factors we all account for in making and watching tracks are the enjoyability of making and watching those tracks. If you sacrifice enjoyability for power or technicality, that's not track making, that's Flash-Player-Aided masturbation. And you shouldn't expect people to enjoy watching you wank.

I should also note that great quirkers will take pains to make sure that their track is fun to watch. Look at all the crazy moments in Lilac Wine and Vision: those came from Hedge's understanding of the presentation of cool moments. His additional focus on technicality was a side effect of wanting to do more cool things with presentation. I honestly see chuggers and rofl as next-gen Hedges, people who are genuinely focused on making quirk watchable. I also see rofl's current project as a brilliantly subversive work that will lampshade the current quirk tropes pretty hilariously and shed some new light on quirk as a whole.

Peace. Smile
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

I feel like this discussion can be felt as a passive aggressive attack for the very few new trackmakers we have here. I mean, overall I agree, but I don't agree with some of the wording, eg I thought we're done with using the term "noob". I know you guys don't mean it, but I'm getting elitist vibes.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 pm

I was trying to go more towards the route of, you don't become a great artist with a new tool without some practice, feedback, learning what looks good, and how to make your tools do what you want. This is true with anything that creates art, and everybody has potential to be a great artist.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 pm

None of what I said above was an indictment on anyone in particular-- if anything it was more of a vent. Don't feel like you need to agree with any of it, I've just had a lot of frustration from elitism on the other end-- where I'm told that I don't understand something or can't cant comprehend it with my tiny little manualer mind if I don't "get" a track. Perhaps it's possible that the pendulum's swinging back the other way.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 pm

There's a certain "pattern" to the lines that's neat and refined, and that's kinda what I judge a good quirk off of. If it looks disorganized, I tend to not comment on the thread.

Exception: Raf's crazy bits, like in "The Source" and "Supersonic Motion". I didn't like those at first but they've grown on me. Smile

EDIT: By "pattern", I mean that the lines of the fling have a concise direction, angle, length, and contact point. Also that the stacks, if used, look nice and are the near-exact same angle as the line that's being stacked. It doesn't mean that flings can't evolve, or that I don't enjoy varied approaches to different things, but some tricks just don't look right if the lines don't look organized.

Also since this is a confession thread: I think shoulder stacks are overused Suspicious #bringbackaltflings
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by BenWubbleyou Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:54 am

I confess that I like when people confess in confession threads.
BenWubbleyou
BenWubbleyou

Vancity

http://vimeo.com/vwcreativeco

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:16 am

I confess I expected and often felt a resounding push against new players like myself.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:26 am

sometimes i feel like i wont ever be able to create something as good as what i have already made
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 am

SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:sometimes i feel like i wont ever be able to create something as good as what i have already made
if you keep throwing darts at the same dart board eventually one dart will be "best shot" and all of your others will sorta be in the periphery

if you choose a different board... you haven't thrown any darts
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:17 am

hypothet wrote:
SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:sometimes i feel like i wont ever be able to create something as good as what i have already made
if you keep throwing darts at the same dart board eventually one dart will be "best shot" and all of your others will sorta be in the periphery

if you choose a different board... you haven't thrown any darts
This post. I like this post.

I wouldn't worry too much about creating power quirk. It's a very good thing to widen your skillset. Without a skillset, you will never be able to create groundbreaking tracks. But it's also good to see some revelations about doing trying out new things, exactly because of Hypothet's post. What worked for me was to focus on a certain dartboard (and trying out different ones on the way), and when you hit bullseye on that special dartboard, try out a new one and do the same. It's how you craft a unique style: By mastering multiple, never-before combined aspects of the game. I've set this before, and I'll say it again: You crazy quirkers have the most vertasile sklilset out there, so you can do things no-one else can. Get to work beaches.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 am

i feel that i don't often have enough patience and time to do what i want in a track, and therefore lose motivation for that particular track,
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next