We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line Rider Python progress thread.

+14
Ph0enix
14mRh4X0r
Cereal
Morgan
[senpai] kevans
TheRevTastic
Wizzy
SPL4SHZ0N3
Blesshiscottonsocks
Georgio_jc
Derpinator
mhenr18
Yobanjojoe
Conundrumer
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Line Rider Python progress thread. Empty Line Rider Python progress thread.

Post by Conundrumer Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:50 am

As I've mentioned before, for my intro to programming term project, I decided to recreate Line Rider from scratch.
Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?7thaz3zfax58s57 (1.5d) (you need python to run this)
It's due on 12/7, 10PM EST, along with a design document and a demo video(hinthint). If the project's impressive enough, it'd be featured as one of 15 projects during the last lecture.
I need you to help me find bugs and suggest how I can improve the GUI. I can't add any major features (eg dynamic lines, multithreading) before the deadline.
Also, if the program is sufficiently stable, it'd be nice if you made some awesome tracks to show off to my programming class 8D .
However, there's one major difference: LINES ARE DOUBLE SIDED. NO MORE GRAVITY WELLS. (but you can go crazy with granuals now)

Bugs and stuff I already know:
- fps is not stable (consequence of using python's builtin tkinter)
- no anti-aliasing (see above)
- gui is not pretty (see above, I don't like tkinter :| )
- it gets really laggy if Line Rider enters a sharp angle (workaround: draw a tiny line to stop him from reaching the intersection)
- tracks not compatible on other platforms
- track physics slightly change after you save (? It's not happening anymore)
- lines drawn below other lines (ie not in direct contact of line rider) can slightly alter the physics BULLETPROOFED THESE LINES (mostly), [censored] YEA.
- perfectly horizontal/vertical lines causes Line Rider to phase through the point joining the xy line with another line
- acceleration lines accelerate weird
- ]Using the flag tool during playback causes inconsistency. (workaroud: don't make long tracks) Only for acc lines, but I fixed it.

todo:
- implement dynamic lines (rigid lines and springs connected by points/hinges; can be solid, or scenery; google sodaconstructor to get an idea of what these lines will be like)
- implement trigger lines (it will either be linked to a point that gets deleted when the line is triggered, or the line itself gets deleted, causing any dynamic lines anchored to that point/line to be free to move)
- trash python and learn C
- collaborate with mhenr18
- revive and revolutionize Line Rider :|

Last edited by Conundrumer on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:43 am; edited 23 times in total
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Line Rider Python progress thread. Empty Re: Line Rider Python progress thread.

Post by Yobanjojoe Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 am

If the lines are double sided, doesn't that mean g-wells won't work?

Or is that just a new line type, double sided lines?
Yobanjojoe
Yobanjojoe

swag

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 am

I could implement single-sided lines, but this project is really for experimenting with new line types.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Yobanjojoe Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 am

Oh ok.

I like the dynamic and trigger line ideas.
Yobanjojoe
Yobanjojoe

swag

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 am

The pan tool doesn't work. I'd do your GUI as buttons visible in the game window (preferably nice looking image buttons), it's a cleaner look and it's what people expect. Your menus shouldn't contain primary functionality - your menus should only ever contain advanced functionality or be an alternative access for functionality.

You also need to have the start point get moved based on where you draw the first line.

It's a really nice build - I'm looking forward to working with you Smile

EDIT: Your grid renders on top of everything, so you can't actually see anything else XD

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:53 am

dammit i cant download python Sad
can someone post a mediafire link?
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 am

you can't just go to http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi ?

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:06 am

double sided lines ftw.
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Fantastic stuff Conun!

I would love to make an example track for you, however, would you possible be able to add these features:

Backspace hotkey to remove last drawn line
GUI buttons - having to mash your keyboard to find hotkeys is somewhat discouraging
Scroll UP to zoom in, and vice versa. Im used to the Beta 2 setup in that respect, odd that you flipped it here :P
transparency to the flag ghost rider, even with a grey scarf he stands out a bit too much.
I have no idea what is happening when I press "V" or "B" it looks awesome, but I dont know whats going on :P
Delete track button

Glitches (running OSX Lion currently):
When I resize the window, it starts drawing lines. If i maximise the window and then minimise it again a line is drawn from the top left corner.

When I first open the game, the rider isn't centered in the middle of the window, i have to pan around to find the start point.

Terminal keeps saying:
"Dec 4 16:09:40 Josephs-Mac-Pro.local pythonw[568] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Dec 4 16:09:41 Josephs-Mac-Pro.local pythonw[568] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRegisterCursorWithImages: Invalid hot spot (outside of size)"
That normal?

Shall inform you of anything else I notice. Glorious!

Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

mhenr18 wrote:The pan tool doesn't work. I'd do your GUI as buttons visible in the game window (preferably nice looking image buttons), it's a cleaner look and it's what people expect. Your menus shouldn't contain primary functionality - your menus should only ever contain advanced functionality or be an alternative access for functionality.
I would do that but I'm really rather not redo the entire GUI for something I plan to abandon anyways. I would have to create graphic buttons from scratch, too, as opposed to using built-in menus. I was thinking in terms of speed, where I strategically placed hotkeys to make it not a burden to switch between tools and edit tracks. Also, I kinda like how the canvas is simply just the track itself (if you hide the status)

You also need to have the start point get moved based on where you draw the first line.
done

It's a really nice build - I'm looking forward to working with you Smile
dynamics lines gogogo

EDIT: Your grid renders on top of everything, so you can't actually see anything else XD
fixed

Blesshiscottonsocks wrote:Fantastic stuff Conun!

I would love to make an example track for you, however, would you possible be able to add these features:

Backspace hotkey to remove last drawn line ctrl+z or Edit->undo
GUI buttons - having to mash your keyboard to find hotkeys is somewhat discouraging the buttons are at the top of the screen since you're on a mac. You can click the dashed lines in the menu to tear them out into separate windows, if you prefer to click.
Scroll UP to zoom in, and vice versa. Im used to the Beta 2 setup in that respect, odd that you flipped it here :P fixed
transparency to the flag ghost rider, even with a grey scarf he stands out a bit too much. done
I have no idea what is happening when I press "V" or "B" it looks awesome, but I dont know whats going on :P v: view velocity vector, b: view snapping points
Delete track button ctrl+n or File->new track

Glitches (running OSX Lion currently):
When I resize the window, it starts drawing lines. If i maximise the window and then minimise it again a line is drawn from the top left corner.
I didn't get this bug on my end but I attempted to fix it by disabling tools when the cursor's outside the canvas
When I first open the game, the rider isn't centered in the middle of the window, i have to pan around to find the start point.
fixed
Terminal keeps saying:
"Dec 4 16:09:40 Josephs-Mac-Pro.local pythonw[568] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Dec 4 16:09:41 Josephs-Mac-Pro.local pythonw[568] <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRegisterCursorWithImages: Invalid hot spot (outside of size)"
That normal?
I actually don't understand what's happening there. Might be from the resizing thing. Or maybe the cursor isn't available on the mac. Which tool are you using when you get that message? I'm pretty sure all platforms have "crosshair"

Shall inform you of anything else I notice. Glorious!
thanks!
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Also, it has odd interactions with contact points. You can effectively make a "chain"
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Good work on the fixes!

Things to note:

On OSX, undo is usually cmd+z, its currently mapped to ctrl z, is there any way to change it for OSX users? It makes me feel dirty D:

The game has crashed on me a few times now unfortunately. Im trying to find out what triggers it though. Some times its simply resizing the window (it still creates lines while doing that too, fix didn't work)

One arm doesn't seem to be connected to the rope. Or maybe it got detached https://i.imgur.com/ZIpG5.png

Hard to describe this one. Steps:
make a track
Make a flag
Delete track
The flag stays but gets shoved around whenever you draw a new first line, but with the same distance from the original start point. Could you split the start point and flag rider into two separate entities?

Is it possible to make the flag rider also transparant in the editor?

Silly point here - the body and arms feel a bit too stiff, comparison with beta 2: https://i.imgur.com/KtW8v.png

Grey sled?

Great stuff again, keep at it!

Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Are we gonna have like 20 versions of epic Line Rider stuff? :|
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Blesshiscottonsocks wrote:Good work on the fixes!
Things to note:

On OSX, undo is usually cmd+z, its currently mapped to ctrl z, is there any way to change it for OSX users? It makes me feel dirty D:
added command binds
The game has crashed on me a few times now unfortunately. Im trying to find out what triggers it though. Some times its simply resizing the window (it still creates lines while doing that too, fix didn't work)
I have Windows and Linux, but I don't have a mac to debug that problem. Apparently, there are some subtle differences when it comes to macs.
One arm doesn't seem to be connected to the rope. Or maybe it got detached https://i.imgur.com/ZIpG5.png
fixed

Hard to describe this one. Steps:
make a track
Make a flag
Delete track
The flag stays but gets shoved around whenever you draw a new first line, but with the same distance from the original start point. Could you split the start point and flag rider into two separate entities?
In actuality, the start point never moves. The first line does, because moving the first line is a lot less troublesome than moving the start point, and I never really saw the purpose of moving the start point in the first place.

Is it possible to make the flag rider also transparant in the editor?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you're looking for graphics involving more than boxes and lines, I really rather not do it.

Silly point here - the body and arms feel a bit too stiff, comparison with beta 2: https://i.imgur.com/KtW8v.png
I used more iterations, so phasing through lines occurs a lot less frequently. That also causes the constraints to be more precise, ie "springs" are stiff

Grey sled?
Tkinter isn't flash, ie I have to type in all the shapes using limited drawing functions. Drawing Line Rider and the sled himself took up several hours
Great stuff again, keep at it!
thanks

Wizzy wrote:Are we gonna have like 20 versions of epic Line Rider stuff? :|
I don't actually expect this version to stick around for too long. As I said, it's more for working on new line types (and getting an A on my project :| )
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

What class are you taking? Just out of curiosity.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:24 pm

It's in the op Suspicious.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 am

I just read the first post and I really like the idea of double sided lines. It really challenges you to take hold of your creative side.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 am

Wizzy wrote:I just read the first post and I really like the idea of double sided lines. It really challenges you to take hold of your creative side.
The side effect of double-sided lines basically destroys quirk, which wasn't my original intent, but I'm all for it.

Also, 1.3 is out, with improved collision detection. NOW you can go crazy with recycled "granuals" (we need a new name for this).
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:12 am

Conundrumer wrote:
Wizzy wrote:I just read the first post and I really like the idea of double sided lines. It really challenges you to take hold of your creative side.
The side effect of double-sided lines basically destroys quirk, which wasn't my original intent, but I'm all for it.

Also, 1.3 is out, with improved collision detection. NOW you can go crazy with recycled "granuals" (we need a new name for this).
Woot, great stuff!

Another note here,
Its crashing quite a lot for me, Almost every time I choose grid from the menu, and whenever I click on the menu buttons with the game maximised. :/

Would love to see this fully working, shame about the crashing.
Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 am

Blesshiscottonsocks wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:

Woot, great stuff!

Another note here,
Its crashing quite a lot for me, Almost every time I choose grid from the menu, and whenever I click on the menu buttons with the game maximised. :/

Would love to see this fully working, shame about the crashing.
About the grid: It's not a grid for making tracks, it's for debugging, so I didn't bother optimizing it, ie right now every single grid square is an individual box. If you're zoomed out all the way fullscreen or something, it's gonna lag to the point of hanging. I guess I should take that out.
Otherwise: I don't have a mac, so I can't debug. I'm sorry about that.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:16 pm

fixed the grid (well, made it more efficient), made velocity and collision view a bit prettier, fixed acceleration lines, fixed bugs involving the alt/command button, tweaked line/flag tools
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Does this mean I should make a v3 progress thread?

Wo9w this is pretty cool! I like the grid function the best! Though your contact points needs to be tweeked, sometimes bosh will go half way through, then land.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

kevansevans wrote:Does this mean I should make a v3 progress thread?

Wo9w this is pretty cool! I like the grid function the best! Though your contact points needs to be tweeked, sometimes bosh will go half way through, then land.
What do you mean by going half way through?
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:08 pm

I could try to make an exaample but im not that good lol
Morgan
Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:46 am

Added pencil tool, help menu, other gui stuff I forgot, and redid start point adjusting. Also, if a line touches Line Rider's butt, he falls off. To prevent excessive granuals. Will not be compatible with previous versions, so I advise deleting the savedLines folder. If there are no more major bugs, this is the version I'm submitting.
EDIT: Fixed a loading bug where the starting position doesn't update initially. Too lazy to upload :|
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next