We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.)

+48
Summoning
Sssschiller
Commandercoke
StingReay
shammies
Wolf_Spirit
gaoyubao
OTDE
theacp127
roflmaoqwerty
Ph0enix
crash2burn
Fauxfyre
LineMagiX
Stallie
GhostY
Binglinerider
WishLine
Chuggers
Yobanjojoe
NachoGrande96
KillinTime2792
CamQuartr
automatizer
Hedgehogs4Me
Rafael
RyderLR
Vermillion
Kohuda
TeamBlast
I_Vermillion
Votale
Blesshiscottonsocks
14mRh4X0r
darklight
Conundrumer
[senpai] kevans
Opal Rider
efrazable
Cereal
Sheldon
Wizzy
rabid squirrel
Helios Pavonine
TheRevTastic
hypothet
Derpinator
mhenr18
52 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.)

Post by darklight Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 am

any way you can make it work w/ macs with less than 10.7? I nearly jizzed my pants when I saw this, only to be crushed by an error message. I'm way too cheap to upgrade yet. maybe christmas.
darklight
darklight

Back to top Go down

Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.) - Page 2 Empty Re: Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.)

Post by mhenr18 Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:17 am

Yeah I've still got the Snow Leopard SDK and Xcode 3. I'll do a build later.
Any less and you're SOL.

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 am

My god......

I just spent the past day implementing a [censored] of texture caching in Unleashed.
It paid off.

I'm panning around a track with 2 million lines in it.
6.1% CPU
734MB RAM
60fps

There's literally no difference between any line count any more. This is surreal, once I fix the bugs LR's gonna be a totally different game. The only limit is now the amount of RAM in your system. 1 million lines = 365MB.

EDIT: oh good god I just disabled vsync and let it render frames as fast as the system can handle. I'm getting over 1800fps with 2 million lines

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 am

mhenr18 wrote:My god......

I just spent the past day implementing a [censored] of texture caching in Unleashed.
It paid off.

I'm panning around a track with 2 million lines in it.
6.1% CPU
734MB RAM
60fps

There's literally no difference between any line count any more. This is surreal, once I fix the bugs LR's gonna be a totally different game. The only limit is now the amount of RAM in your system. 1 million lines = 365MB.

EDIT: oh good god I just disabled vsync and let it render frames as fast as the system can handle. I'm getting over 1800fps with 2 million lines

OMFG! Eep Eep
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am

i dont think you'll be able to get as good as that in your flash builds hehe :P

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 am

i can have 11.000.000 lines then... wierd xD
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Hang on.... I think Ive spotted a bit of an error.

During the time when I tried to make LR HD/Engine 2, I noticed some stuff.

[this being said in a nut shell] In order to make it run the same speed at 60 FPS, I had to change a few numbers. This meant different physics. So basically there was two trade offs...
1) Same physics, slightly faster speed
2) Normal speed, new physics.

Mhenr, you saying that this runs at 60 fps, does this mean one of the previous said situations, or is this only for testing?
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

kevansevans wrote:Hang on.... I think Ive spotted a bit of an error.

[this being said in a nut shell] In order to make it run the same speed at 60 FPS, I had to change a few numbers. This meant different physics. So basically there was two trade offs...

Mhenr, you saying that this runs at 60 fps, does this mean one of the previous said situations, or is this only for testing?

This is a different programming language so some errors from another probably don't appear in other languages.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 pm

it's multithreaded so the game logic isn't tied to the rendering speed

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by 14mRh4X0r Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 am

mhenr18 wrote:I think I want to give the C version a title. Line Rider: Unleashed. Why? Because I've finally unleashed your machine and let it ride the lines like never before. Also it sounds cool :P

Thoughts?
Line Rider++ Hehe

kevansevans wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:Up for a linux port? :|

I think that isn't necessary because Linux is designed to run win32 programs.
No. :|

mhenr18 wrote:it's multithreaded so the game logic isn't tied to the rendering speed
8D
14mRh4X0r
14mRh4X0r

Nobody appreciates the term 'hacker' anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 am

14mRh4X0r wrote:
mhenr18 wrote:I think I want to give the C version a title. Line Rider: Unleashed. Why? Because I've finally unleashed your machine and let it ride the lines like never before. Also it sounds cool :P

Thoughts?
Line Rider++ Hehe

kevansevans wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:Up for a linux port? :|

I think that isn't necessary because Linux is designed to run win32 programs.
No. :|

mhenr18 wrote:it's multithreaded so the game logic isn't tied to the rendering speed
8D

lolwut?
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by 14mRh4X0r Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 am

Linux is definately not designed to run win32 programs. It's even more likely that a mac program runs on linux than that a win32 program runs on it (without compatibility layer)

Also, @mhenr: I'm for GTK myself, but you could consider using OpenGL.
14mRh4X0r
14mRh4X0r

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

14mRh4X0r wrote:Linux is definately not designed to run win32 programs. It's even more likely that a mac program runs on linux than that a win32 program runs on it (without compatibility layer)

Also, @mhenr: I'm for GTK myself, but you could consider using OpenGL.

The whole engine uses OpenGL, but I need a GUI framework to get the OpenGL context to render into, get mouse/keyboard events from the OS, show OS dialogs, that sort of thing. I'll probably go with GTK.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by 14mRh4X0r Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 am

Heh, already thought so, just had to mention it.
14mRh4X0r
14mRh4X0r

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:52 am

Right, I've done as much render optimizing as I can be bothered to do for now. I still need to implement a dirty rect system so that when you add new lines it doesn't need to recache everything and just recaches modified render tiles. Anyway, it's still lightning fast, although you might get a jitter or two when panning around if you're working with massive line counts. I'll explain the whole system later once I finalise it. Also, lines that get drawn anywhere outside the bottom left quadrant (anywhere left or above where the lines get added by the add 10k button) aren't rendered right now because although the grid is working fine, I haven't bothered to rewrite the grid access functions to support all four quadrants.

Mac: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49905412/Line%20Rider%20Unleashed_Mac_0.05.zip

Windows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49905412/Line%20Rider%20Unleashed_win32_0.05.zip

edit: oh yeah, there's two bugs I already know about. One is a random crash bug, it's due to a memory error that I'm still trying to debug, the other is that sometimes the color of the line isn't rendered. I'll fix 'em soon Smile

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 pm

I click the New track button, nothing's happening =/
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by 14mRh4X0r Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Same for me, but I'm running under wine, so that could be my issue Wink
14mRh4X0r
14mRh4X0r

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Works for me...

Okay... so you get line tool to work, but not pencil? And it seems that lines are drawn upside down, as in when drawn left to right, it shows up as left to right.

And could you worry about making the mouse change to said tool before making it work. it's a little bothersome that I can't tell if it switched tools or not.

also, you need to make the black side further from the blue side.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 pm

kevansevans wrote:Hang on.... I think Ive spotted a bit of an error.

The physics don't exist yet. When they do, it's gonna be different because it's unlikely he'll be using the same exact code as fsk's and floating point errors may be different.

Also, he's worrying about performance and rendering, not the gui. It's kinda irrelevant to bring up issues with the gui.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm

kevansevans wrote:Works for me...

Okay... so you get line tool to work, but not pencil? And it seems that lines are drawn upside down, as in when drawn left to right, it shows up as left to right.

And could you worry about making the mouse change to said tool before making it work. it's a little bothersome that I can't tell if it switched tools or not.

also, you need to make the black side further from the blue side.

It's early stages dude, right now I'm not caring about the interface or making the compositing as accurate as possible. I'm just caring about speed.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

Thought I'd post something of an update, because I'm going on a road trip tomorrow morning and might not be quite as active for the next few days.

Simulation's working reasonably well - I've yet to fully implement line snapping. It's pretty nice to have simulation running with a few million lines. And yes, it's the normal 40 ticks/second for the physics engine, there's no change in speed or anything - it feels identical to beta 2. Yay for multithreading.
I've made considerable progress on render performance and resource use - I've now got it to behave a whole lot smarter in terms of choosing where to render new tiles. My next step is having the renderer use the textures for bosh and the sled so you see more than just some dots.
Lines render perfectly in the editor now - I totally rewrote fsk's original code for that so now it's bulletproof - the small bugs you used to see in the rendering in 6.2 are gone.
I've made quite a bit of UI progress too, menus and checkboxes now work.
I need to fix up a bug in my grid insertion code, which should then fix up a few other things that are broken.
Once I make all the fixes that I need to and get simulation going flawlessly, my next goal will be saving/loading and then the eraser.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Hell yeah!

Say, now we have a somewhat laggles system, would you be able to implement music importing for track syncing :3
Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Blesshiscottonsocks wrote:Hell yeah!

Say, now we have a somewhat laggles system, would you be able to implement music importing for track syncing :3

That sounds easy. Maybe it can run like unbound did? Simple drag and drop music into folder, on/off setting for play music.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.) - Page 2 9wUGT

that's ridiculous. This computer is 16 months old.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:42 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:Unleashed progress thread. (Previously Line Rider C progress thread.) - Page 2 9wUGT

that's ridiculous. This computer is 16 months old.

He probably hasn't added backwards capability for Mac OSX yet, or since you're a mac user, upgrade to Lion :|.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next