We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community

+13
Cereal
Ktk
CamQuartr
Wolf_Spirit
SPL4SHZ0N3
VividRedemption
JoaTrades
ACwazHere
linerage
Chui Ninji
Purtle
Wizzy
chaomocha
17 posters

Go down

Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community Empty Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community

Post by chaomocha Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Well, I was hoping to wait until I actually made an official decision as to which college I was going to go to, but my mind has been made up for quite some time, so I figured I'd post my story now.

I think I'll simply start by posting my essay I submitted to colleges. The colleges I applied to required a maximum 500 word count, however my first draft was over 1000 words, so if it seems empty at parts, you know why. I may also post the original version of the essay because it talks more about this community and what I learned and experienced from it more than this edited essay does, but regardless here it is. Just remember kiddies, no plagiarism 8D

Spoiler:

I sent this essay, along with a portfolio and the rest of my application, to 4 schools, and was accepted to all the schools I heard back from. For some reason, Drexel University never replied to my application; I wasn't even denied acceptance, just no reply at all. I didn't bother following them up on it either simply because I heard heard back from the school I really wanted to go to. It's interesting how they contacted me actually, I was driving up to work with my dad for the weekend (because we work at a ski mountain and so we have a long drive and just saty friday thru sunday) and I got a call from some wierd number. It turned out that the acceptance letters had just left the school that afternoon, but one of the Graphic Design teachers (I think it was actually the dean of the department but i forget xD) had called me personally, on a friday night at 8pm, on her cell phone none the less, to congradulate me on my acceptance. It was pretty exciting considering the circumstances. Then alongside that when I got my letter of recomendation, I also got a nice big ol scholarship/grant/whatever you want to call it from the school, so that was convinient.

I don't mean to brag, but I didn't want to leave the story just there. My dad always used to tell me I should be doing my school work instead of playing line rider or talking on here until 1 am sometimes, but in the end it was this community that I wrote about in my essay, and it was that essay that aided me in my acceptance. Although some of you may not know me, or some of the people I had in mind while I wrote about this community are no longer active memebers *cough*TD*cough*, I still feel like I should share this with all of you collectivly.

And Now my college portfolio, which the schools I applied to looked at these things heavily and took serious consideration into all of them. One of the schools said it counts as about 50% of the decision making process, which for those who have been through the college process know that that is alot riding on just one portfolio... Also, you may recognize several of these peices way back before my departure for senior year, particularly because I posted them on here and was critiqued by several of you as well, which I am very grateful for btw. I think I'll just post a link alongisde an image description. Another fun fact, several of these images were inspired by line rider, or were given the same names as recent tracks and what not. I'll let you be the ones to determine which ones were and which once werent tho Hehe

Spoiler:

Now for a few side notes:

I may post my original essay if you want me to do that as well/if I can find it.

The heat of the college search is pretty much over, which means I will be returning to WRTL as much as possible. Maybe make a collab or two, wouldn't that be fun 8D.

anyway, thanks everyone! you all get a high five! 8D

Last edited by chaomocha on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community Empty Re: Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community

Post by Wizzy Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

8D you are awesome. You know his name is with one g right? :|

That's really awesome to hear, Chao! Congrats on being accepted. I'd freakin' love to see your portfolios. The essay was also pretty nicely written.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community Empty Re: Chaomocha got into college because of this Line Rider Community

Post by chaomocha Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Wizzy wrote:8D you are awesome. You know his name is with one g right? :|

lololololol typo somehow, yet thats not how i spelt it on the word document, so yeah h.o

also ill upload my portfolio in a sec, just wanted to see if there was even one person interested before i go and do tht. check the gfx section in just a sec as well, because ive been busy this year too 8D (and by that i mean ive only made one and a half pictures so far, but one of them ive put easily over 100 hours into making it, and the other about 60 hours, and i have very limited time to work on then, so when i say ive been working on them all year, i mean it...)
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Pretty cool

I wish I had a way with words to write an essay that didn't end up making it sound like I just waste time/will sit on puter all day.

That's why I didn't do an essay about it.

meh
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:38 pm

yeah, well like I said, I had a 1000+ word essay and had to cut it down to 500, so I got a ton of help from a ton of people to try and do tht. it was a much more ridiculous process than I expected it to be...
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

That's so awesome. :O

Like Purtle, I wish I was as adept at English as you are to transform my unhealthy obsession with Line Rider into something college-worthy. :| Oh well.
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by linerage Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 am

Well, on the first note : Congratulations on your decision, and i really do wish you the best on your journey Smile

On the second note : The writing was very well thought out, with very clearly expressed sentences that seem to flow and create a vivid visualization in one's head. I really like how you put alot of consideration and thought into the essay, and that just shows how your accountability would be valued in the college.

Third note : Although i'm not a huge fan of your portfolio art, i am making mine right now, for architecture. I really don't know the standards for college, but some of the pictures seem rough, even though i know it must've taken you alot of energy and time to muster up the creations. But Vita, Immersion and follow me were my favourites.

Yeah, well hope you get through college ^^
linerage
linerage

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 am

This makes me really happy. Smile

Congrats on your acceptances. They were well-deserved, judging by your portfolio. Wink I didn't write my main Common App essay about LR (wrote about programming), but I did write about IRTL when we had to describe extracurricular activities. I made some pretty passionate passages about it. :P
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by JoaTrades Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 am

I actually remember you posting some of those pictures. Smile Way to go Chao! 8D
JoaTrades
JoaTrades

Back to top Go down

Post by VividRedemption Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Super happy for you dude, that's a very well written essay! I hope my college adventures go as well as this. Smile
VividRedemption
VividRedemption

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

thanks everyone for the congrats, but i posted this more as a thank you to all of you, but w.e it doesnt matter however you look at it 8D

I'll probably upload my more recent works as well sometime tonite, so check in on tht
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Good job chao Smile

didn't know I was TechDawgg!

btw @ your piece named Vita is very good. haha
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Ah wow, that's pretty amazing ^^
Also the drawing 'line rider' is magnificent! I'm so very happy for you Chao, it proves that being on a line rider forum and playing line rider DOES pay off! *HIGH-FIVES*
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

lol yeah splash, you can prolly guess where i got tht name 8D that picture was a spur of the moment thing too, i was just in a dark room and there were some glowsticks on a table so i tried doing different things with them to make light trails (immersion) but then i was like mkay, what if i just keep the light source still and move the camera, so i did, and i got vita, and then i tried combining the two scenarios together and got the original for follow me, but then i edited it alot if it wasnt already obvious xD

line rider is one of my only drawings ever, it was my first actually. i have a few others based off of a similar style but just about everything i ever have drawn has been something ive seen from line rider.

also, and I'm not sure why because i've edited my first post about twice now, but it keeps spelling TechDawgg with two g's, which now leads me to believe those mods are up to no good with the word filters 8D trolololo
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by CamQuartr Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 pm

some of those photography/digital design work is really well done ;o

glad to see that you achieved your goal with something you enjoy

CamQuartr

http://www.CameronKashtan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:42 am

High Five. I'm glad you wrote about what you really liked, and even happier knowing that it served you well in your college endeavors.

Some of us are still waitinggggg for decisions T^T
I wrote about IRTL/other forums too.
Ktk
Ktk

Back to top Go down

Post by VividRedemption Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:00 am

Also, Rave-N is the best one. Very Happy
VividRedemption
VividRedemption

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am

Holy crap! I suck at writing essays like this, lol

I always end up starting it good, but then I keep having to use dull/boring sentences/words later on because I am not a very creative writer :P

I also remember seeing a lot of those images before.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I think I may as well post my essay here, which was on a similar topic. This essay (along with other things) got me the top Scholarship at St Olaf College. Some of you may have seen part of it before but probably not the whole thing.

Spoiler:
It's really cool to see how our essays are similar and yet different. I'm glad that I'm not the only one whose life was positively affected by this community Smile

This one was actually a 500-word essay I expanded into a 1000-word essay for a loal scholarship (the 500 word version I submitted to colleges, it doesn't talk about Bolted to the Wall and doesn't have the last paragraph.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:23 pm

thanks everyon for the positive remarks. Rabids post also reminded me of something, which was that of the colleges that i got into, I got a scholarship from each one, with ranging values.

@Rabid, really cool that we both wrote about similar things, and in doing so were rewarded 8D Your description of conversing easier online I find to be a true statement as well. I also sorta hinted to the fact that my confidence derived from my pride in what ive been creating, where as you had just said it. I bet wer arent the only ones on this forum that feel this way either, would be cool to find out mayhaps
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by LineBeast Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:39 am

Awesome, man! Thumbs Up

I too have had such a great experience with LR and its communities since it first released in 2006...I don't even know where to begin.
LineBeast
LineBeast

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

lool LB, you oldy moldy with all your memories and what not, write a novel not an essay 8D
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:55 pm

That was a beautiful essay
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:58 pm

I ARE THE WINNINGEST!
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Almost exactly one year bump. Like a bossclosed.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down