We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant incoming!

+21
TigerXLine
MartinJulenissen
Lankher
Commandercoke
Cereal
linerage
ACwazHere
LineMagiX
TheRevTastic
~rawr
SPL4SHZ0N3
Wizzy
KillinTime2792
Inukaza
IGLima
Painlobster
Rafael
Georgio_jc
Votale
Lukking
StingReay
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rant incoming! Empty Rant incoming!

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

^

Alright, here goes.

This is just me ranting about how !@#$ing closed this community is in terms of opportunity to actually gain recognition and be someone.

As you all know, iPi left recently, and what I'm ranting about was one of the main reasons. It's practically impossible to get anywhere on this forum because to do so you either have to be a kissass, a major postwhore (that's the best term, excuse bypassing) or a Jesus LR player. This isn't the way it should be, and I'll go on to pick apart what each rank SHOULD entail.

As you all know (yes I used the same starting term twice), LCC stands for Linerider Community Collaboration. In my mind, what's missing from that name is the "Community" part. Sure, it's in the name, but it's only a facade. The LCC is in no way accepting of new additions that have more varied LR-related skills relating to things other than trackmaking (even then it has to be quirks/XY, which is lolno imo). Community should mean everyone with decent skill relating to making tracks should have an equal chance at becoming a member, not just a select few who are child prodigies at art or the technical aspects of Line Rider. This includes recording and editing, which everyone knows doesn't matter to the current LCC, despite the facts being that without it, Line Rider would not exist on YouTube, hence the LCC wouldn't either. The LCC need to shove their ego and pride down the toilet and start accepting people with more varied talents.

Elite Rider is nearly impossible to get nowadays, as has been stated many times before, even by the Elites themselves. It's been said time and time again that "activity" is what you need to achieve this rank, but what do the admins mean by activity? To me it seems that they mean being an absolute postwhore and forgetting that the true meaning of activity is post quality and relevance, not post count. Couple that with the fact that even inactive Elites are virtually never replaced, and there's your reason why Elite is impossible to get for many. Again, this isn't the way it should be, getting promoted in this case should be based on the quality and relevance of posts and how long you've been around (I've been at the various incarnations of IRtL since 2007!), not post count and the ridiculously high PPD average that you're supposed to have now.

Enough with individual ranks for now, and on to the incredulously stupid policy that is "if you ask, you don't get". What is so wrong with asking about how close you are to achieving something? It's something that is perfectly acceptable IRL and is sometimes even recommended! This is why I'm against this policy, because it makes me think that I'm never going to be close to get a rank, or at least it did until I stopped caring. Many of the current ranks are filled with people with gigantic egoes that couldn't care less about the rest of the community, save Purtle, Hedge, LB, rabid, AC and Chih -- hey wait, that's the staff! There are a few Elites and LCC who care, like Wolf and Splash, but that's about it.

I guess my point is that this forum seems more like a place that cliques of elitist male chickens thrive in, which isn't very appealing to me. End of rant.
StingReay
StingReay

http://www.rennervate.com

Back to top Go down

Rant incoming! Empty Re: Rant incoming!

Post by Lukking Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:42 pm

youre right
except for the lcc-part
Lukking
Lukking

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 pm

The LCC isn't a closed group at all actually. We don't need anyone such as editors or recorders like you say because we have many already (Aspi, Myself, Rabid, Rafael, etc.) why would we elect people into the LCC that aren't necessary? We do have a standard in the LCC. If someone is at that standard or above, we elect them in. I don't see the problem. The LCC was created to be a group of skilled riders making tracks for the community to view and enjoy. That's what we're doing.

And I definitely "care." There of course are those Elites, Staff, and LCC who believe that their opinion should be more important and taken more seriously than a "grey member's" That's total BS. Everyone has an equal opinion around here, or at least should. Yes there are elitist on this site who believe because of their color they are better.

Yes it is basically impossible to become an elite without being a "kissass". I've lost my chances of becoming one because I was "disrespectful." I'd rather be an LCC member than a "kissass elitist" Elite.

Pretty much, you're right, except about the LCC. We're not all smug elitist guys. A lot of us care a lot about the community. Good rant is good.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Wow, I can't believe people agree with me. :P

But did you read the (even then it has to be quirks/XY, which is lolno imo) part? People should be able to get into LCC if they have a talent other than the most overplayed type of track in the history of Line Rider. XD I may be wrong, but that's what the majority of modern tracks (LCC productions included) have been. We need more variety!
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 pm

^we alrdy promoted a great manualer as lcc mem (cereal)
and if anyone complains about the lcc's activeness.the lcc is the most active group :|
Lukking
Lukking

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Rafael and Cereal are 2 of the best manualers out there. The reason there aren't many manualers in the LCC is because there aren't very many of them.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

^hella true. @ both Luk and Votale

Also, what the heck are you talking about "talent other than most overplayed type of track" ?!? I mean... should some random guy come here and invent I don't know..invisible lines with a glitch or what?
We have to use some kind of standards dude <_<

Also, I guess I agree on the rest.
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Georgio_jc wrote:^hella true. @ both Luk and Votale

Also, what the heck are you talking about "talent other than most overplayed type of track" ?!? I mean... should some random guy come here and invent I don't know..invisible lines with a glitch or what?
We have to use some kind of standards dude <_<

Also, I guess I agree on the rest.

Glitches was actually what I meant by that. What happened to the old days before how skilled you were at a glitch mattered? When the game wasn't at all competitive like it is now? But I guess you're right, as that more than likely stems from my own inability to be on par with the rest of you. :P
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm a LCC member.
I'm a manualer.
o_O.
For the rest, I partially agree, and I partly disagree with your statements. I do understand where your frustration comes from (since you were there when the LCC was founded and everyone could enter back then), but yeah.. This is the way it is now. I don't think it'll change. The standards have actually been lowered a while ago. As for Elite Riders.. I don't know. I'm not really following the Elites, but I definitely see that you're stigmatizing. You're all like "Oh that person (tbh I don't really know who you're referring to) is Elite and sucks up to other persons, appearantly that's the only way to get it.". That's not how it works. Same with LCC. Just because some members draw more attention than others doesn't mean they represent them Wink
Anyway, thanks for the rant, it might bring some life in the forum.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Since Chih is viewing this thread (probably, silly online list doesn't tell you the thread, only the forum), I must do this: inb4close.

The elites being people with massive egos isn't as much of a problem here as it was at IRtL. The major thing being now there are only six of them. XD
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Painlobster Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Whenever you want to get yourself promoted anywhere, look at it like a business endeavor.
You don't get promoted to senior management in a corporation by being of average intelligence, just like you don't get promoted to LCC for being of average skill.
You don't get promoted to elite without making some friends in the upper echelons of the forum or making yourself visible in some distinct way.
Being an average contributor with average connections to the "higher ups" essentially guarantees your rank and file greyness, and this is more or less true everywhere, not just this forum.
Painlobster
Painlobster

Back to top Go down

Post by IGLima Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I actually agree with you on most of these topics.
I agree mostly with the post count thing. I don't post much compared to the average user. I've been on the FC Forums for 2 years and I have only 530-ish posts. Other people have been there for 6 months and have >1,000 posts. I try to post only when it adds to the conversation. I say: Should I post here? , and usually it's a no.

Also, I agree with the ranks being difficult to get. It makes people feel bad when ranks are nearly impossible to get, while 3/5th of the users have one. It feels that there should be other/more ranks or almost none. At FC, there are 2 admins and like 5-ish mods. Another 5-ish beta testers, and that's it. It makes everyone feel more equal. Here, 3/5th of the users have a rank that very few can get anymore. It's better at ELR, but still not much better than here. It feels that to get a rank you either need to be a LR god or have a high post count. =/

Good rant. You might be going a little overboard here, but hopefully your rant can change things up.
IGLima
IGLima

Featured Video: Silent Flame Scened

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Painlobster wrote:Whenever you want to get yourself promoted anywhere, look at it like a business endeavor.
You don't get promoted to senior management in a corporation by being of average intelligence, just like you don't get promoted to LCC for being of average skill.
You don't get promoted to elite without making some friends in the upper echelons of the forum or making yourself visible in some distinct way.
Being an average contributor with average connections to the "higher ups" essentially guarantees your rank and file greyness, and this is more or less true everywhere, not just this forum.

Oh. My. God. NO.

While it does help to have connection, what you were basically saying is that having them is the only way you'll get up there, which is wrong. For instance, there is a mod at Acanthite that is like the most inactive person ever regarding contributions and he was only promoted because two others retired. Like I said before, contributing is not ridiculous post counts, it's the overall quality of posts.
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Painlobster Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:49 pm

StingReay wrote:
Painlobster wrote:Whenever you want to get yourself promoted anywhere, look at it like a business endeavor.

Oh. My. God. NO.

While it does help to have connection, what you were basically saying is that having them is the only way you'll get up there, which is wrong. For instance, there is a mod at Acanthite that is like the most inactive person ever regarding contributions and he was only promoted because two others retired. Like I said before, contributing is not ridiculous post counts, it's the overall quality of posts.

Never said it was right. I was just giving you advice on how to be promoted, assuming that's your goal, based on my observations of this forum.
Painlobster
Painlobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Votale wrote:The LCC was created to be a group of skilled riders making tracks for the community to view and enjoy. That's what we're doing.

No, that was not the original intention of LCC, skill had nothing to do with it. It was elitist(Lack of better term) people like rabid who choose to HAND PICK half of the LCC when it because OMFG Hard to get.

Votale wrote: That's total BS. Everyone has an equal opinion around here, or at least should. Yes there are elitist on this site who believe because of their color they are better.
If you are a nub, then you don't get the same respect as someone who's been here longer. However, even if you've been here long, you're still listened too more then a admin. Even so, I proved this on ELR. In 3 months, I became one of the most talked-about people on the site (even though it was mostly negative.) But still, People will listen to me over [I am a potty mouth] of other members.

Votale wrote:Yes it is basically impossible to become an elite without being a "kissass". I've lost my chances of becoming one because I was "disrespectful." I'd rather be an LCC member than a "kissass elitist" Elite.

You don't lose your chance, and don't let any of the admins tell you that. Also, you just said "Yes there are elitist on this site who believe because of their color they are better." Well, you just put your preference on a rank you already have over another. Way to be a hypocrite.

StingReay wrote: People should be able to get into LCC if they have a talent other than the most overplayed type of track in the history of Line Rider.

100% of LCC members can create more then one style of track. They can do more then just quirk. Duh. They are LCC.

Votale wrote:Rafael and Cereal are 2 of the best manualers out there. The reason there aren't many manualers in the LCC is because there aren't very many of them.

Again, no. 100% of LCC can successfully do Manuals on a skilled level.

Painlobster wrote:

True.

In regards of my opinion to elite. Get ride of the the rank. You could justify deleting it for the same reason you deleted Power Rider.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:55 pm

this has been another episode of "the ugly side of the line". This is killinTime saying, 'i hope that's not a dead bird in my pocket.'
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm

^ xD i loled

i agree with everything you said pretty much. the whole time ive been at irtl (which is maybe 3 years or so) ive only seen 3 or 4 people get promoted to elite out of the thousands of members we actually had (and now we're down to less then 1,000 :| )

i used to be power and lcc but i said no-- THIS IS SPARTA :| and kicked the admins and asked for demote. why? because gray is epic :| and thats how i see ranks. kthnx.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Inu wrote:If you are a nub, then you don't get the same respect as someone who's been here longer. However, even if you've been here long, you're still listened too more then a admin. Even so, I proved this on ELR. In 3 months, I became one of the most talked-about people on the site (even though it was mostly negative.) But still, People will listen to me over [I am a potty mouth] of other members.

Congratulations Inu. You got a group of 11 year olds to listen to you 8D Considering 9/10 ELR-ers are around 11 or 12 years of age.

Inu wrote:You don't lose your chance, and don't let any of the admins tell you that. Also, you just said "Yes there are elitist on this site who believe because of their color they are better." Well, you just put your preference on a rank you already have over another. Way to be a hypocrite.

You can easily lose your chance... Why would I let you tell me that? xD And what I actually said what it looks to me, and about everyone else, that Elite is impossible to get unless you're perfect. I don't wanna be perfect, no one CAN be. I'd rather be LCC then have to be perfect in their eyes.

Inu wrote:Again, no. 100% of LCC can successfully do Manuals on a skilled level.

Again. Yes. Can MJ manual at a skilled level? He has told me in the past he can't manual for beans. (Not to call MJ out he pwns everything else<3). I'm not gonna like call people out though.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Inu wrote:If you are a nub, then you don't get the same respect as someone who's been here longer. However, even if you've been here long, you're still listened too more then a admin. Even so, I proved this on ELR. In 3 months, I became one of the most talked-about people on the site (even though it was mostly negative.) But still, People will listen to me over [I am a potty mouth] of other members.

LOL. Using ELR as an example there again people like me (ELR user 10 saying hello!) should be recognised more, though I admit I'm not in that case because I haven't been on in yonks. :P

Where's the proof that any of the non-colors get any more recognition that anyone else due to how long they've been around? I believe I've been on the various versions of this place longer (It's weird how I remember my old uid was 5979 after a year of lacking the old site. XD), yet I'm one of the most ignored members. XD

Votale wrote:You can easily lose your chance... Why would I let you tell me that? And what I actually said what it looks to me, and about everyone else, that Elite is impossible to get unless you're perfect. I don't wanna be perfect, no one CAN be. I'd rather be LCC then have to be perfect in their eyes.

YES. I lost any chance of LCC after the only viable way in for me became something I literally could NOT do. To be perfectly honest at IRtL many of the elites were rabid (zero intended pun) postwhores with >4000 posts in under a year and a >5 PPD average from constantly post-whoring. Not saying they were all like that, Purtle and Absox and even Ktk aren't, but many were. Just the ridiculously high "contribution" (not an accurate word for what many did) requirements made it nearly impossible for someone like me who only posts on interest to have any significant chance at it. While Purtle had >9000 (quite literally) posts, from what I saw they were all helpful in some way.
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:28 pm

lol@ noone liking the elite rank
Lukking
Lukking

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm

"Also, remember that this site is not about becoming an elite, it is a community. Don't feel like you have to try to get this rank, or that we won't take you seriously unless you're elite."

Lol. Just Lol. I hate to say it rabid, but that's a HUGE lie. XD
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Very good rant. It seems people are getting upset. lol. Thanks for saying I'm one of the few who care about the community. I try to show people respect and try not to be rude. thanks. Smile

At the rant though, I agree, a lot of Ranked members have an ego problem. also I lol'd when you brought up the "Line rider Collaboration Community" part because I thought the exact same thing when I was "invited" to join the LCC. I thought, wait, why is this so elitist of a group but its a community? There's still leaders and "new recruits" (me, pure, TCR, Mj ya know).

But i think a lot of people feel under-appreciated, and I can very much so see why. Whenever a lesser-known person creates a track, I usually see it have maybe 3-5 comments, usually saying "good job, or you're improving." General run of the mill statements. The same thread has probably 100 views or so. When you start off and want to improve and master the game, its very disheartening when you work extremely hard, try to learn new tricks, improve your style, experiment, spend all of this time, and no one notices it. I know it sounds bad (the whole thing about playing the game for fun) but a lot of the fun is knowing that you can inspire other riders, or even knowing people look up to you and enjoy your tracks!

I just really want to see a lot more appreciation for everyone. To me, I love all of you guys, even though often I keep to myself, maybe a little too much. (with only .4 posts per day, Please Don't Kill ME! haha) I don't know a single person around me who appreciates what I do. I tell some of my friends I play Line Rider, even show them a track, and they don't appreciate the depth of emotion, or the minute details about tracks. I love all of you guys, because I feel we all share a special bond. I just want to see the rest of the forum feel the same way.

sorry for the wall of text, just had a lot of emotion.
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by ~rawr Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 pm

I've been here for two years yet nobody cares for me :|

Linerage who is freaking beast at quirks an especially XY but IMO is underappreciated
I gave up on ranks a year ago btw 8D
~rawr
~rawr

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:22 pm

I've been here for 3 years, took me 2 1/2 to get gfx rider Suspicious.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StingReay Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:25 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:I've been here for 3 years, took me 2 1/2 to get gfx rider Suspicious.

And then it was removed like six months later, completely destroying any real sense of accomplishment. >.>

By the way, if any of the staff think I'm whining about not having a rank and my arguments are baseless -- tell that to the people who join but don't post their tracks because they feel outclassed by much of the existing community.
StingReay
StingReay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next