We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100% gravity wells

+6
efrazable
captain_cornflakes
Fauxfyre
SPL4SHZ0N3
LineMagiX
rabid squirrel
10 posters

Go down

100% gravity wells Empty 100% gravity wells

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I made this to prove a point, after some people claimed that when I made an every-frame nose manual lily that it was actually a chain of inverse nose gravity wells.

Consider:
- none of the lines in this track are connected
- wells in a fling can be used multiple times, in different spots of the line, and in different ways
- wells can cross or touch each other

In my book, gravity wells must pull bosh rather than colliding with him - if the black side is facing him when he hits it, that's not a gravity well. Chui kept saying he makes "grolls" when the black side faces Bosh and I was saying that they're not gravity wells and therefore it's not a groll.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

100% gravity wells Empty Re: 100% gravity wells

Post by LineMagiX Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:12 pm

@ the grolls, when hedge taught me how to do highspeed grolls the lines are angled like tumble and quirky curve lines, but they are infact gwells/rolls. Also in highspeed there's kind of a delay where the well affects him in the same frame, but bosh is a pretty far distance away from the actual line.

Also in my nub days (before hedge taught me how to highspeed groll) I once yelled at stingdafling because he made a big groll but it had alot of lines that looked like tumble lines, but hedge said that it was infact a groll.

EDIT: also i strongly advise anybody who was thinking about arguing to not do it just because he said he made this "to prove a point" (aka he's expecting an argument, so he has ammo. olol) /kind of joking btw. not trying to hint at anything
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:25 pm

okay so after a bit of discussion on the stream lol... (all of the following is my opinion)

- there's grey area when a line is pushing directly against bosh, but the line is on the far SIDE of Bosh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbiq1F7Lk8c#t=01m23s
- there's grey area when a line is basically inside bosh - is it a gravity well or a quirky curve? does it push or pull?
- there's some tricky stuff with the word "fling" because it implies that Bosh speeds up.
- some gravity wells slow him down, but they're definitely still gravity wells if they also change his direction and the speed in the direction the well pulls him in grows. (more grey area if they're doing more to stop him in the direction he's going than change his direction)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Essentially all interactions in Line Rider can be called a gravity well, technically. the whole way the black line works I think is that in that frame, the line pulls him up, so as he doesn't pass through it.
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:39 pm

SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:Essentially all interactions in Line Rider can be called a gravity well, technically. the whole way the black line works I think is that in that frame, the line pulls him up, so as he doesn't pass through it.
If you look at Kevan's "No g-wells" hax, Bosh falls straight through lines half the time, so I've been thinking similar since I played that. I still wouldn't call them g-wells though. I agree with Rabid's definition

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_cornflakes Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Suddenly, i can make gravity wells.
captain_cornflakes
captain_cornflakes

http://steamcommunity.com/id/captain_cornflakes/

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 pm

captain_cornflakes wrote:Suddenly, i can make gravity wells.
this
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

does this make flanuals now alt flings :O

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Shotoku wrote:does this make flanuals now alt flings :O
Now what are alt flanuals Shocked
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 am

roflmaoqwerty wrote:
Shotoku wrote:does this make flanuals now alt flings :O
Now what are alt flanuals Shocked
quad flings?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

What about double-alt-asdflanuals?
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Hipster Hedge here, ironically a bit late to this party. I've been saying that everything's a gravity well since before the "all gwell" craze happened way back in like '09 or whenever it was.

I think calling something a "gwell" has lost basically all distinction at this point, because you can absolutely make a nose fling that "pushes" him if you time the recoils to accelerate him. It's basically an insanely neat quirky curve, and is incredibly hard. So either we have to draw artificial constraints on what makes a gwell, or we have to accept that you can make flings and such that aren't actually made of gwells, which totally invalidates the "that's not a fling, that's a gwell chain" thing.

For practical purposes, though, I think we can just call something a gwell if it's intentionally targeting certain contact points in a way that's one frame (or at least very few frames) or at least frame-controlled (that is, intentionally on certain frames to create a certain effect that is distinguishable from "riding").

/thread
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jam Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm

What Hedge said. Terminology is supposed to be used to help express things based on what they are, not complicate the whole thing. If you want to get technical (@rabid, primarily), I think it's a healthy discussion to have, however it is almost necessary to remind ourselves every once in a while that, just like with grammar, if you can undestand what is being said, the terminology is serving its purpose.

Now on the technical bit, I think Rabid's right, there needs to be a strict definition of gravity well (not saying such definition should be nazily enforced), however, when you get down to the physics engine of the game, the "pulling" the line effects on Bosh uses the same mechanics as the "pushing", it is trying to avoid the movement from black-side to color-side, even if there is a misdetection on where the contact point actually is, or is moving towards. In my opinion, to overcome the implications of such in the definition department, it should be defined as "a line that affects one or more contact points for one or more frames making it accelerate towards the black-side from the color-side." Yes, this would make quirky curves borderline-g-wells. Yes, this would make lilypads borderline-g-wells. Yes, I'm okay with that.
Jam
Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down