We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happened to SLAG wells?

+4
Sheldon
Chuggers
OTDE
FlagCapper
8 posters

Go down

What happened to SLAG wells? Empty What happened to SLAG wells?

Post by FlagCapper Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:52 pm

So I've been trying to use some SLAG wells in my entry for the minimalist contest, and it seems that the standard technique for creating SLAG wells doesn't work in either LRA or lrjs. Was it generally decided that slag wells should be patched out of the game, or did everyone just forget about them?

For anyone who doesn't know what a SLAG well is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgBfkMs_X8

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

What happened to SLAG wells? Empty Re: What happened to SLAG wells?

Post by OTDE Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Kevans got rid of the ability to make them in 3.4.X, and neither of our devs seem particularly interested in bringing back implementation for them any time soon, so SLAG is dead for now.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

we didn't even get to make swags

single well anti gravity
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Bring back slag 2016
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JealousCloud Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:32 pm

I had no idea 3.4.X removed slagwells, but I removed them because I thought they created a less predictable track environment in a way that was only accessible to higher level players. Nearly any other trick at least makes sense once explained, but this isn't true of SLAG. If I were to allow SLAG in any way, I'd instead add invisible lines, which is a possibility. I'm not saying SLAG wells will _never_ come back, but I'd have to strongly change my mind.
JealousCloud
JealousCloud

see you, space cowboy...

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:59 am

I was actually wondering about this same thing. I had no clue slag was removed from the game. The slag well had so much interesting implementation on so many tracks. I'd like them back; plus, I think the unpredictability of them may have made them better in some cases.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 am

I think what JC says makes sense. If we were to want them back, why not simply have invisible lines? It'll be less effort to get the effect you are going for by using invisible lines I think. And that's what the new versions are all about, for us to be able to create the things we envision, but with less effort. At least that's how I see it Smile
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:27 am

Z_N-Freak wrote:I think what JC says makes sense. If we were to want them back, why not simply have invisible lines? It'll be less effort to get the effect you are going for by using invisible lines I think. And that's what the new versions are all about, for us to be able to create the things we envision, but with less effort. At least that's how I see it Smile
Well personally I think invisible lines are kind of stupid, because it delegitimizes regular tracks -- whenever you see something very impressive or skillful you'll wonder: "is he using invisible lines there?", and it takes you out of the track. SLAG wells didn't do this because they were very limited. I understand the argument for removing them, but I don't think you can just say that if you have them we might as well have invisible lines.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm

I think the reason there is such an affinity towards keeping slag wells and the method of creating them in the traditional sense without such a rush toward invisible lines is because slag wells didn't feel like cheating or game-altering, they felt like a clever lesser known and novel trick. It's closer to an easter egg than a bug or glitch, in my eyes. Like, quirk is mechanics abuse. White screen was a glitch that prevented progress. But slag wells are just neat in a "missing no." phenomenon sort of way.

I don't mind invisible lines, but I won't find much use for them until I feel I have a creative idea for them.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Everyone's forgetting the OG way of doing invisible lines: live-draw with the zoom tool.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down