We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6.8 is coming.

+40
Orthuss
Opal Rider
Chui Ninji
StingReay
baconat0r
SethComposerGuy
CNR
~rawr
aspi33
hypothet
KillinTime2792
CamQuartr
Traxis
GhostY
TheRevTastic
ACwazHere
Catz
Rafael
rabid squirrel
iPi
JoaTrades
linerage
Wizzy
darklight
Darkness
Cereal
IGLima
Painlobster
MartinJulenissen
Lankher
linejs
Smitsy
Derpinator
Lukking
TigerXLine
Kohuda
Votale
Yobanjojoe
Wolf_Spirit
mhenr18
44 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

6.8 is coming. - Page 5 Empty Re: 6.8 is coming.

Post by Votale Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 pm

We're pretty much taking away all the things that make Line Rider take skill now...
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:56 pm

No. We're adding things that help the process of making skillful tracks in my opinion. We're not making the tracks or tricks themselves easier to make.

Anyways, could we also enable contact points to be visible? That would take less time, and it's not making anything less skillful. It takes less time, Votale. That's pretty much a huge challenge.

I know you're all for having fun and can't wait to make things harder for yourself and more challenging and all, but this version has toggles for whatever you will or will not do, so if people do want to improve the features, you will be able to turn them off.

E.g. XY toggle is not cheating. It makes lines easier to apply without trial and error. It makes XY lines easier to make, but anyone can make a line on the X axis and a line on the Y axis anyways, so there isn't really a problem. :P
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 pm

That's not at all the same actually. XT toggle makes straight lines easier, which anyone can make. Being able to erase "part" of a line makes the skill of having to erase lines and make new ones in order to make the fling unnecessary. There already is a version with visible contact points. I've used it myself and it's SO much easier to make "difficult" flings. If we keep adding stuff like these Line Rider won't even take any skill whatsoever anymore.

EDIT: I mean stuff like crash resistance and all that to keep from files corrupting, multiplayer, etc. Would be great. But when you get into stuff that makes trackmaking easier, the whole point of Line Rider is abolished.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 am

Votale wrote:That's not at all the same actually. XT toggle makes straight lines easier, which anyone can make. Being able to erase "part" of a line makes the skill of having to erase lines and make new ones in order to make the fling unnecessary. There already is a version with visible contact points. I've used it myself and it's SO much easier to make "difficult" flings. If we keep adding stuff like these Line Rider won't even take any skill whatsoever anymore.

EDIT: I mean stuff like crash resistance and all that to keep from files corrupting, multiplayer, etc. Would be great. But when you get into stuff that makes trackmaking easier, the whole point of Line Rider is abolished.

I'll address this once and only once.

If you think that I'm making LR more "easy", then go back to playing Beta 1. I'm sick of hearing this - Beta 2 was a huge jump in "ease" from Beta 1, and you still needed "skill" to play B2. I'm not adding in a way to see the verlet points because I can't be bothered. Extending lines is a pain in the neck and leads to glitches, and either way, I don't care about flings and quirks. Hell, the whole point of quirks was that you found glitches in the game, you cheated the engine. Why should I cater to this?

Skill is not something that can be expressed quantitatively, as LR is not a game with goals and objectives. If you think skill is drawing lots of lines to bend any idea of real physics, then good on you. If you think skill is making thousands and thousands of lines of scenery, then good on you.

But that doesn't matter to me - what I do it for is to make LR funner, better. Something I'd want to show to my friends and say, "hey this is a fun game, and its better than when we saw it in 2007". Generally I'll stay within the boundaries of what you think is not too "easy", but if I do something, give me a reason other than "it makes LR easy" and I'll listen. Otherwise we wouldn't have Beta 2, would we? And perhaps wait until I actually release 6.8 before you comment on it. At least one of us cares about the game enough to do something about it.

kthx

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by linerage Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 am

^ that's not a mhenr i've known, but i like it. 8D
linerage
linerage

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerXLine Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 am

linerage wrote:^ that's not a mhenr i've known, but i like it. 8D
TigerXLine
TigerXLine

I used to play Line Rider and be weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 am

TigerLine7 wrote:
linerage wrote:^ that's not a mhenr i've known, but i like it. 8D
Spoiler:
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:48 am

I'm saying that stuff like visible contact points or the ability to erase part of a line or copy and paste stuff makes LR much easier to be "good" at. I know you probably won't implement any of that but the ideas people throw to you sometimes won't improve Line Rider, just make it easier; TOO EASY.

Stuff like crash resistance and multiplayer make LR more fun, not easier. THAT'S the kinda stuff I like. Not visible contact points. Just learn how to do the trick the old fashion way without seeing the contact points. But now this is just getting controversial so Ima go. AWAY.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitsy Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 am

I agree that we shouldnt have contact points showing or line shortning, but i also agree that votales an ass :| (lol jk)
Smitsy
Smitsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Votale wrote:I'm saying that stuff like visible contact points or the ability to erase part of a line or copy and paste stuff makes LR much easier to be "good" at. I know you probably won't implement any of that but the ideas people throw to you sometimes won't improve Line Rider, just make it easier; TOO EASY.

Stuff like crash resistance and multiplayer make LR more fun, not easier. THAT'S the kinda stuff I like. Not visible contact points. Just learn how to do the trick the old fashion way without seeing the contact points. But now this is just getting controversial so Ima go. AWAY.

110% this
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:21 pm

why do you need the contact point to be visable to know where it is anyway? aside from hands and feet (which are obvious as hell) and the upper nose (again obvious as hell) nothing moves relative to other points.
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:51 am

Mmmm.

I just like seeing contact points in that it's easier to perform good tricks when you know the position.

You know that you can toggle stuff?

In my opinion, having fun with this game is sometimes hard to do, especially with the intention of making a cool track.

I still think than an enabling and disabling of showing contact points would be nice if he's in some squishy position or you made a new trick or something, because you know which contact points shouldn't be pulled on or whatever.

I don't see why people are arguing if they can just disable it if they don't like it.

I think that it helps not with making things easier, because the game is something that is lacking on certain features that could have been included earlier, which is why mhenr is making a version 6.8.
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:03 am

Showing contact points makes track making easier. There is no doubt about that.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitsy Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am

HG42 wrote:
I don't see why people are arguing if they can just disable it if they don't like it.

Start making a track
Turn contact points showing on
Make your track with ease
Turn contact points off
Record, edit, upload
'I didnt use contact point showing look at it turned off just here'
'Wow, if you didnt use contact points showing your epic and you deserve lrl, llc, holy shoe, motm win, laotw win, toc4 win, etc etc etc'
Smitsy
Smitsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 am

Smitsy wrote:
HG42 wrote:

Start making a track
Turn contact points off
Record, edit, upload
'Wow, if you didnt use contact points showing your epic and you deserve lrl, llc, holy shoe, motm win, laotw win, toc4 win, etc etc etc'

Laotw win xD

I also think showing contact points, would be dum.
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by iPi Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:37 am

I have an interesting suggetion xD

Could you make the tools compatible with dvorak keyboards? In other words, could you make an option to switch the hotkeys from their original ones to these:

Pencil: ' (yes apostrophe)
Line Tool: ,
Eraser: .
Zoom: P
Hand: Y
Play: F
Stop: G
Flag: C (and the ghost flag J)
Save: R
Trash: L
Zoom Camera In: ;
Zoom camera out: Q
and the rest can stay the same.

If that is too much, or pointless because it only benefits me basically (:|) Then you don't have to do it.
iPi
iPi

Manualologist

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:02 pm

That actually sounds good. Hotkey changing options. *tries to hi-five iPi. Misses. Hits his butt. Looks too embarrassed to do anything.*
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Rapto wrote:
Smitsy wrote:
HG42 wrote:

Start making a track
Turn contact points off
Record, edit, upload

Laotw win xD

I also think showing contact points, would be dum.

:| Party Poopers.
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by iPi Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:10 pm

HG42 wrote:That actually sounds good. Hotkey changing options
I guess that would be better than restricting it to just my keyboard. Thanks Very Happy
iPi
iPi

Manualologist

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:29 am

Smitsy wrote:
HG42 wrote:

Start making a track
Turn contact points off
Record, edit, upload
visable contact points don't make track making easier. not being a goof and just knowing where the contact points are makes track making easier.
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 am

I have a question for mhenr:

How many percent will the lag reduce?
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I dunno. A lot.

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by linerage Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Votale wrote:I'm saying that stuff like visible contact points or the ability to erase part of a line or copy and paste stuff makes LR much easier to be "good" at. I know you probably won't implement any of that but the ideas people throw to you sometimes won't improve Line Rider, just make it easier; TOO EASY.

Meh, part of me wants to tell you that you're just scared too many people would be better than you, and the other part, saids not to write this.
linerage
linerage

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 pm

A lot of people are better than me I suck ._.

That's why my name color is... nvm.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostY Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05 am

linerage wrote:

Meh, part of me wants to tell you that you're just scared too many people would be better than you, and the other part, saids not to write this.

why would he be scared? no it would take the fun out of lr, the sense of discovery or learning. thats what makes linerider fun and addicting 8D

GhostY
GhostY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next