We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Input/Ideas?

+15
Devray
Cereal
Wolf_Spirit
Lukking
PerryBoy
ACwazHere
LineBeast
Lone Rocket
Hedgehogs4Me
CHiH
Rafael
Kohuda
Purtle
Slyther Demon
rabid squirrel
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your Input/Ideas? Empty Your Input/Ideas?

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I've heard a lot of people (not just Sheldon) say recently things like:
- "This site sucks"
- "It just isn't the same"
- "I'm not inspired anymore"

So... what do you suggest would be a good addition to perk up this site? We can't bring TD back from inactivity, and I'm pretty sure we can't install hacks (I'm going to check again) but we're willing to do whatever we can to make this site a better place to be. So if you have an idea, just post it and throw it out there! (Just don't be whiny or angry about it and we'll listen Wink)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Your Input/Ideas? Empty Re: Your Input/Ideas?

Post by Slyther Demon Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:22 pm

I honestly think it's just the inactivivity. There isn't big things like LAotW because we don't have enough people. Some complain the skin is blue when Irtl was red. Maybe it's because there is no arcade and people like using it once in a while.

There could be a million reasons, but there is no way to fix the fact that this isn't the real IRtL. The best solution would be getting TD to fix Irtl, and he isn't going to for a while. The only thing you can do is if you don't like how it is now, live with it, or do something else until IRtL comes back. D:
Slyther Demon
Slyther Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Tbh, I can't really hit it dead on.

But it does just not feel the same. The atmosphere, the appearance, a lot of things.
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohuda Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Nah, I like it.
Kohuda
Kohuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Yeah, what to do? Maybe we should do LAotW? Those tiny things, those tiny, tiny, tiny things, makes IRtL what it looks like right now.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CHiH Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:25 pm

There isn't much that you can 'change' IMO to make it more like the original IRtL, without bringing that site back.

Personally, I would have used Invision instead of Forumotion, but that's just preference. There's nothing I can pinpoint that can be changed.

EDIT: Actually yeah, I think we could use a new set of forum icons. Yours were pretty good to begin with, but I think it could be a positive step forward for this site.
CHiH
CHiH

https://www.youtube.com/user/system0101

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Forum icons are being worked on already.

Frankly, call me a roughneck if you wish, but I say that if you're going to sit here and complain about how this site's so terrible, just LEAVE. -_-
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Rocket Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Well, find some generous members that are willing to pay for the internet space and vB, etc (which quite frankly isn't much for a yearly cost), we can have a permanent "fall-back" site (well, as permanent as it can get) which can be used if this ever happens again, and we'll be able to add all the mods the bawwers want, xD.
Lone Rocket
Lone Rocket

Back to top Go down

Post by CHiH Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:45 pm

It would be nice to have a real 'backup' site. After the initial costs, most of the 'upkeep' costs could be paid for by ad revenue and whatnot.

Hosting would be the more expensive piece of that puzzle, and a 'donate' button would go a far ways to help with that.

(Basically, it would be nice to have the vB site back, with an active admin team that is willing to keep up with mods/hax)
CHiH
CHiH

https://www.youtube.com/user/system0101

Back to top Go down

Post by LineBeast Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:36 pm

CHiH wrote:There isn't much that you can 'change' IMO to make it more like the original IRtL, without bringing that site back.

Personally, I would have used Invision instead of Forumotion, but that's just preference. There's nothing I can pinpoint that can be changed.

EDIT: Actually yeah, I think we could use a new set of forum icons. Yours were pretty good to begin with, but I think it could be a positive step forward for this site.

Agreed--Invision is quite superior to phpBB, but I suppose that doesn't really matter.

As for the OP's question, I think it's just the inactivity...as well as trying to spread the word that IRTL is still here. You also have to take in account that we lose everything that promoted the site before--video ads, shoutouts in LR tracks/movies, TD himself, and loads of other advertising that many of us didn't even know about. This place is more for the core members, the people who really enjoy IRTL. The random noob isn't going to find this place very easily, as they go to the IRTL website, click forums, see that it's down, shrug their shoulders and carry on with their business. (or register on .ORG/some other LR related fan site)

I think we should really discuss what we want to do when IRTL is back up, assuming that it will eventually be back online in the near future.

CHiH wrote:It would be nice to have a real 'backup' site. After the initial costs, most of the 'upkeep' costs could be paid for by ad revenue and whatnot.

Hosting would be the more expensive piece of that puzzle, and a 'donate' button would go a far ways to help with that.

(Basically, it would be nice to have the vB site back, with an active admin team that is willing to keep up with mods/hax)

Of course it would but you have to remember that only TD had the ability to install mods/hacks on the original vB site. It was awesome while he was active (there was a always some new little feature or fad every couple weeks) but as his activity declined, IRTL really started to lose it's 'touch' so to speak, and started to become boring. Although, our kickass staff team worked with what we had, and made the best of it.

As for the cost of hosting, a domain, and vBulletin itself, I don't know if the investment is worth it. Unless we want to pirate vB or IP Boards, it still isn't very practical. (vBulletin is roughly $90 USD for only one year. Domains are about $5.00/yr, which isn't too bad, but hosting is in the $25-40/month neighborhood. Ad revenue would probably be able to generate some of the cost, and donations aren't very reliable. How many donations did TD get for IRTL? We should of had a donor rank to be able to tell. All in all, I don't know if creating another IRTL is worht it, unless TD setup a redirect on his website, or something like that.)

The question is, would anyone want to shell out for a setup like that?
LineBeast
LineBeast

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am

There's an RPG game that we could look into, it comes with the site. I was going to turn it on in ACP but I had absolutely no idea how it worked. xD
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryBoy Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:31 am

It's exactly the same, it's just you only have like a quarter of the activity now, plus the features on the site just need getting used to. As It's only temporary I wouldn't worry so much anyway.
PerryBoy
PerryBoy

http://www.dailybooth.com/Itz_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Rocket Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:34 am

@AC- I've used previous versions of that RPG game, it isn't really useful, since last I used it, most of the time it either broke down or failed xD.
Lone Rocket
Lone Rocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohuda Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:23 am

Lol, xD
Why did you guys start talking about an RPG? xD
Kohuda
Kohuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Kohuded wrote:Lol, xD
Why did you guys start talking about an RPG? xD
There's actually an RPG built in to forumotion forums that you can put in, just like there's a shoutbox. We can activate it if you guys want, but it probably sucks.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Slyther Demon Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Do it, so we can test it out at least, if it glitches out get rid of it. Testing never hurts
Slyther Demon
Slyther Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:30 pm

can u make the same background as irtl? then this site would be more irtl-ier k? xD
Lukking
Lukking

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Post by LineBeast Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:37 pm

PerryBoy wrote:As It's only temporary I wouldn't worry so much anyway.

This is what a lot of us really need to realize. AC had mentioned lightening up the rules/atmosphere since it's a temporary site, however, other staff members didn't like that idea...
LineBeast
LineBeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Well I thinkthe site is good, I like it as it is,I think it's just the lack of members and we don't have loads of threads and the layout is much different. But we'll live with it, there's not much wrong anyway.
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I agree with WS. If we're only here temporarily, it's fine atm.

But if TD never puts it up.... that's a different story.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Slyther Demon Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:07 pm

I have a few points that may help. Just ideas, in deep discussion some of these may turn out bad, I'm not thinking for hours at each one before I post them.

1. Add a custom skin that is red, to seem more like IRtL

2. If possible add an arcade, that is something to do when no one is on

3. Add more forums, so we can look just like Irtl, except the forums we won't use, like LAotW

4. Have a contest to make the best ''IRtL commercial.'' This will advertise on Youtube, and get more activity. Even if you don't win, your video will still be on YouTube, and your subscribers and people who search will see it.

5. Do a fun contest, to get people excited, something fun, that doesn't involve having the best track on the site. Most contests are '' Use these rules, and make an epic track.'' How about a non-skill related contest, or at least non-LR skill.

Just ideas, discuss etc.
Slyther Demon
Slyther Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by LineBeast Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Traxis wrote:I have a few points that may help. Just ideas, in deep discussion some of these may turn out bad, I'm not thinking for hours at each one before I post them.

1. Add a custom skin that is red, to seem more like IRtL

2. If possible add an arcade, that is something to do when no one is on

3. Add more forums, so we can look just like Irtl, except the forums we won't use, like LAotW

4. Have a contest to make the best ''IRtL commercial.'' This will advertise on Youtube, and get more activity. Even if you don't win, your video will still be on YouTube, and your subscribers and people who search will see it.

5. Do a fun contest, to get people excited, something fun, that doesn't involve having the best track on the site. Most contests are '' Use these rules, and make an epic track.'' How about a non-skill related contest, or at least non-LR skill.

Just ideas, discuss etc.

1. I agree, however I think this boils down to rabid, as he is the creator of this forum, so I think the choice of a new skin should rest with him.

2. I'm not sure if this is possible, but there are multiple free websites available with web-based and Flash games that are at your fingertips; I'm sure a few have already been posted in the Off-Topic forums. (Don't feel like you have to be on here 24/7, I end up keeping a tab/window open, and refresh every so often)

3. As far as forums are concerned, I think we have enough. Our Off-Topic section is more than adequate, even including more forums than it previously did. (The Forums for advertising are quite generous, as TD had prohibited advertising completely on IRTL, with the exception of the link permitted in one's signature). Our Line Rider related forums should fulfill most needs, and are quite similar to the original IRTL's layout. If you have any specific requests, please let us know, so we can take them into consideration. (The Feedback Forums are here for your ideas, as well as this thread)

4. I suppose this could be done, but I'm not sure if this is really needed for a temporary forum. Feel free to link this place in any video releases, your website(s), YouTube channels/user pages, etc.

5. This could be fun, however the logistics and details would have to be worked out, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

In essence, I don't want to put in too much work for it to all be wasted/forgotten when the real IRTL is back online. Personally, I feel that this website is more of a 'hangout' for IRTL veterans, staff, and members. If we invest too many resources and time into various events, it'd be a complete waste, and that is something I'd like to avoid. (I'm not suggesting that Rabid is wasting his time with this forum, I thank him for creating it)
LineBeast
LineBeast

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryBoy Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:16 am

LineBeast wrote:
PerryBoy wrote:As It's only temporary I wouldn't worry so much anyway.

This is what a lot of us really need to realize. AC had mentioned lightening up the rules/atmosphere since it's a temporary site, however, other staff members didn't like that idea...

Fair enough but it's not just a staff opinion. Remember this is a linerider community.

PerryBoy
PerryBoy

http://www.dailybooth.com/Itz_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohuda Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 am

Lol, make a "most fun track" contest.
Kohuda
Kohuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Rocket Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 am

@Beast- You can get a freeforum arcade, but it is basically a seperate website you make that is hyperlinked to on here. It really isnt worth it because you actually have to make a new account on the arcade, and set up admins for the arcade, etc etc. Also, you have to use the imageshack video add-on to be able to upload new games into the arcade.
Lone Rocket
Lone Rocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next