We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New line type discussion

+5
SethComposerGuy
Lankher
Traxis
Fauxfyre
[senpai] kevans
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New line type discussion Empty New line type discussion

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:03 pm

So, obviously I've noticed that new line types are a huge controversy among us, so to make things easier, I want to make a Experimental Line Type hax for your guy's pleasure.

The way this works is you recommend a new line type, describe what it does, and the community votes by replies his/her thoughts on the line type. If you think a line type is a bad idea, please let us know. And if you can't back up your opinion besides "It's too easy"or "breaks the spirit" [censored], I'm just going to ignore you. Explain why you don't Like it. That being said, if you like it, try the best you can to explain the possibilities that are... possible. It may not be as easy as explaining why it's bad, but it helps with other people deciding. Please be aware that I may take an opposite side of your opinion, and I'll explain why, but be aware that your vote will stand as is and I just want to make sure that you are definite of your decision. Majority rules by the way.

So here's what you must provide-

~Name - Optional - community can decide for you if you can't come up with a name.

~Actions - Required. Please give an adequate description of what it does.

~Density - Believe it or not, this is crucial. Low/normal/high. Imagine these densities like so: Low = jell-o, normal = wood, High = steel. Density also effects the gwell, the higher the density, the stronger the gwell will be, HOWEVER BEFORE ANYONE [censored] ABOUT THAT, it makes the well harder to do. Also, if you want your line to support grinding, by default the density is low, otherwise it will not work.

~Color - Optional - Community can decide if you don't have a good idea for color.

Okay, so let's begin

lines already invented
Blue/red/green [given]
Trapdoor [released]
decelerate [released]
Pop lines (those new line types) [limited release, meaning some people have them]
Shades [released]
Guide [released]

Line under construction/ being tweaked
Double sided
Pop lines

Lines under vote
Switch Lines: 2 yes, 0 no
Spoiler:

One use lines: 3 yes, 0 no
Spoiler:

Gravity switch line: 2 yes, 1 no
Spoiler:

Gravity cancellation line: 2 yes, 0 no

Spoiler:

Mirror Lines: 1 yes, 0 no
Spoiler:

Lines denied
none

Any one of these line can be debated, if you do not want the line type to be in the hax, please say so, following disagreeing rules, and the community will vote. I myself will not vote (accept for the lines I've suggested below). When suggesting a line, that person counts as 1 yes vote. People are allowed
to change their votes, please notify us. At a total of 11 votes, or obvious majority, voting for line type shall end, and I'll update the listing.

Last edited by kevansevans on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 12 times in total
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

New line type discussion Empty Re: New line type discussion

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Switch Lines.

Action = One line when touched will change the transparency of other lines in the track, including whether Bosh lands on them or not. Such as he can bump into a line at the top of a hill, then when he goes back down, a few lines could change. Normal density. I got this idea from this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwCBL0vrpxI.

How it might look in the editor = The lines would stay the same color (different color swap though), but an orange guide line would connect a trigger to the other line. Switch lines will have a default ON or OFF (OFF = being invisible in playback), then touching the trigger will switch them to OFF and ON respectively.

Color = See pictures

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Traxis Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 pm

A lot from unbound was pretty cool, like trap doors.

~Name - One use line

~Actions - After the line is used once, it becomes scenery, and is no longer usable. I feel this will make scenery tracks better, as they can go through parts they rode on earlier. In quirks it simply makes things easier and less difficult.

~Density - medium?

~Color - Yellow - Starts as a blue line (in use) and ends as a green line (in use) so yellow only seems fitting.
Traxis
Traxis

The True Giygas

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

MAKE A CIRCULAR LINE

come at me bro
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by SethComposerGuy Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Here's an idea I came up with. Give an option to change what bosh is riding or the way he's riding on the sled, but do it in a way so that the contact points would be in a different location, giving the possibility of different types of tricks that can be done and the tricks that can still be done would have a different feel to it.
SethComposerGuy
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Traxis wrote:A lot from unbound was pretty cool, like trap doors.

Bouncy Lines SUCKED though. They never worked correctly and would always glitch (like making him go from 1 to 50 mph instantaneously.) Even when they worked it looked terrible.
PLEASE do not do bouncy lines

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm

There should be a standard version for tracks that are meant to be taken seriously and then whatever else.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Lankher wrote:MAKE A CIRCULAR LINE

come at me bro

Been there, done that.

SethComposerGuy wrote:Here's an idea I came up with. Give an option to change what bosh is riding or the way he's riding on the sled, but do it in a way so that the contact points would be in a different location, giving the possibility of different types of tricks that can be done and the tricks that can still be done would have a different feel to it.

I was actually just thinking about that

rich wrote:There should be a standard version for tracks that are meant to be taken seriously and then whatever else.

*cough*6.7*cough*
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Why make a new thread on this when you already have one with the same title minus the discussion part?
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Kramwood wrote:anyway. How bout a line that switches the direction of gravity?

I was thinking of something similar, but instead the line could have its own gravitational pull. So say within X pixels of the line, he would float towards the line instead of falling down. Could only do this gravity one way though, because it would make g wells "too easy" from the other side :P Perhaps this feature only allowed on double sided lines? Would make the lines mini planets

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Please guys, vote, otherwise these will just sit there and nothing will happen. I need to know what the community wants.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:54 pm

I vote yes on one-use lines. Tracks that slowly erase themselves sound like an interesting dynamic.

Gravity switch, I vote no, based on my opinion that they wouldn't add much new to a track other than he can ride on the ceiling.

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:18 pm

The one-use line needs work. How many frames constitutes one use? Is there a time delay?
Actually, basically anything that comes up here will need work, because we aren't programmers, so there's a lot of stuff we don't know.

Anyway, play around with this one:
- In terms of collisions, behaves like a blue line.
- Rotates the track by a certain amount (but gravity changes the opposite way so that it always appears to be pointed down) per frame that Bosh collides on. Perhaps one degree per collided frame, or, if you want to give more control, one degree per collided contact point per frame.
- Has direction like red lines, but only to decide which direction to rotate the track.

Idrc about colour.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Hedgehogs4Me wrote:The one-use line needs work. How many frames constitutes one use? Is there a time delay?
Actually, basically anything that comes up here will need work, because we aren't programmers, so there's a lot of stuff we don't know.

I was thinking of making is disabled after the rider goes off of it. But since it only has 2 out of 11, I'm not taking it seriously ATM

Anyway, play around with this one:
- In terms of collisions, behaves like a blue line.
- Rotates the track by a certain amount (but gravity changes the opposite way so that it always appears to be pointed down) per frame that Bosh collides on. Perhaps one degree per collided frame, or, if you want to give more control, one degree per collided contact point per frame.
- Has direction like red lines, but only to decide which direction to rotate the track.

Idrc about colour.

JESUS CHRIST THAT WOULD TAKE A [censored] LOAD OF CODE! err maybe... If I can figure out how the lines move in the first place, then maybe.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 pm

name: directional gravity line

Effect: changes the direction that gravity pulls on bosh

density: none, this line doesn't PHYSICALLY affect him

color: dark purple.

or

name: gravity cancellation line

effect: removes gravity until he contacts a similar line

density: none

color: dark green
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm

kevansevans wrote:JESUS CHRIST THAT WOULD TAKE A [censored] LOAD OF CODE! err maybe... If I can figure out how the lines move in the first place, then maybe.
Could it be done by just rotating the camera and changing the gravity?
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 pm

shotoku wrote:I vote yes on one-use lines. Tracks that slowly erase themselves sound like an interesting dynamic.

Gravity switch, I vote no, based on my opinion that they wouldn't add much new to a track other than he can ride on the ceiling.
you seem to not be thinking about the possibilities of this line. considder the following: a stall where bosh floats between 2 lines that change gravity. sections of track entirely based around changing how he moves with gravity, no contact at all. flings that speed him up far more than before because there's no gravity acting to slow him down. there are lots of things you can do with this.

anyway here's another thought.

name: mirror line

effect: switches the direction of bosh and his sled

density: none

color: cream

also i vote yes on all lines. always.
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 pm

KillinTime2792 wrote:also i vote yes on all lines. always.
This is why we can't have nice things.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Hedgehogs4Me wrote:
KillinTime2792 wrote:also i vote yes on all lines. always.
This is why we can have nice things.
fix'd
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Traxis Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I say get the ideas here, any that have ANY potential go into a poll and people can choose which they like.
Traxis
Traxis

The True Giygas

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 pm

To be honest, I really don't care, I'll be using mhenr's version and not this one.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:To be honest, I really don't care, I'll be using mhenr's version and not this one.

Stern but Fair

No one is even making you.
Stop letting us know, we got the message
No one really gives a [censored], especially everyone.
But there are people here who are tired of just 6.7
your opinion does not out way the 20 others who want something new
and there isn't very many people here willing to put up with the time to make this stuff happen.
So go ahead and play 6.7, see if I try to stop you.
go ahead. No, seriously, play it.
See if I care.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 pm

kevansevans wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:To be honest, I really don't care, I'll be using mhenr's version and not this one.

Stern but Fair

No one is even making you.
Stop letting us know, we got the message
No one really gives a [censored], especially everyone.
But there are people here who are tired of just 6.7
your opinion does not out way the 20 others who want something new
and there isn't very many people here willing to put up with the time to make this stuff happen.
So go ahead and play 6.7, see if I try to stop you.
go ahead. No, seriously, play it.
See if I care.

It get's tiring seeing you making a new thread about line types every week or so.....
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:23 am

it gets tiring seeing people complain about new features too. if you don't want to use the new features go right ahead, we're not stopping you. but why do we need to hear about it?
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:24 am

KillinTime2792 wrote:it gets tiring seeing people complain about new features too.

Not complaining about new features, first he comes up with new line types, nobody likes them, he says he quits development for his builds, he comes back with more line types, rinse, repeat.

Also kevan, I like how you implied that I was talking about 6.7...... nope.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next