The new line type

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new line type

Post by [senpai] kevans on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Me and Helios have been screwing around with these new lines and we have came to conclusion of what they do.
A normal gwell is caused like so:



How ever, if you try to do that with the new line type, nothing will happen:



The way these wells works is that you have to be heading right for them, here's one that pulls the spidey point:



So here's a list of details we have compiled:

All contact points work
Bosh can crash on them, as in, like a badly placed gwell can cause a crash, so can these.
They have the ability to grind
Impossible to stall on a grind (as far as I know)
Can be used to create infinite stacks, but the look really ugly IMO
New discovery: Due to lower density, frame skipping is slightly easier.

The reason Why I'm overly excited is because I'm a step closer to double sided lines. I have managed to remove on type of gravity... only to have it replaced by another.... BUT IF I CAN DO ONE, I CAN DO ANOTHER!

So after awhile, I talked to some members at the stream, and people really like it. Problem is I don't know what color they should be. I've settled on sea foam green for normal, and purple for ones that can accelerate, but what do you guys think?


Last edited by kevansevans on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Fauxfyre on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 pm

When you say "Bosh can crash on them", do you mean when you try to do a g-well or just lands on the top too hard?
Also, are flings as we know them impossible with foam green?
Also also, accelerating lines should be pink


Last edited by shotoku on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Hedgehogs4Me on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't really like them, tbh. It sounds like they'd make acceleration far too easy, and they don't really make much sense. Why would a line behave like that? It's easy to see how a regular line would do what it does, because the contact points get "caught" on the line, if you will.
With this one, though, it sort of suggests that his butt can just reach out and grab the line out of nowhere. I think that's rather silly.

_________________
What do I believe?


avatar
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by [senpai] kevans on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Hedgehogs4Me wrote:I don't really like them, tbh. It sounds like they'd make acceleration far too easy, and they don't really make much sense. Why would a line behave like that? It's easy to see how a regular line would do what it does, because the contact points get "caught" on the line, if you will.
With this one, though, it sort of suggests that his butt can just reach out and grab the line out of nowhere. I think that's rather silly.

I see what your saying. And yes, it's good for acceleration, but isn't that what flings are? And I know that flings take "skill", but you have no idea what these lines could do? I mean, if the gwell was never discovered, we wouldn't be here today, And I bet you, there were people who saw that and was all like "That stuff is cheating, it makes acceleration too easy", and I was one of them, but then I found out that they weren't. So take that way for these new lines, what potential do they have besides they make 1 thing easier, what if we figure out something about them that does take skill?
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Fauxfyre on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Do you have a new .swf file with this new line? I would like to try them out myself

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Traxis on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Turn that line 90 degrees and make it red. Same effect. This just makes a track *look* more like a quirk because there's no flat sled.

_________________
Hedgehogs4me wrote:Threadmaster Trax has requested a death. I shall snipe it from the window.





avatar
Traxis
Member

The True Giygas


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Rafael on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:36 pm

This effect is pretty damn lame IMO.
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Fauxfyre on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Rafael wrote:This effect is pretty damn lame IMO.

It is exact same thing, except Bosh is going up instead of right. This is how the first gravity wells started, and people have figured out how to make them look much better. The same thing could happen with these new lines, just give them a chance.
hedgehogs4me wrote:It sounds like they'd make acceleration far too easy
Make a pinch canon. That's pretty easy too

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Rafael on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 pm

shotoku wrote:
Rafael wrote:This effect is pretty damn lame IMO.

It is exact same thing, except Bosh is going up instead of right. This is how the first gravity wells started, and people have figured out how to make them look much better. The same thing could happen with these new lines, just give them a chance.
hedgehogs4me wrote:It sounds like they'd make acceleration far too easy
Make a pinch canon. That's pretty easy too
Nah. No other contact points will be triggered and they'll just make the quirks from now look even more messy than before.
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by [senpai] kevans on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Rafael wrote:
Nah. No other contact points will be triggered and they'll just make the quirks from now look even more messy than before.

Quirk? Messy? No, this is an entirely different style all together. You see, we don't need a new version, we need a new element. That's what would make Line Rider (possibly) funner, that sense of discovery, that sense of making something better. That sense of "I could possibly make this single trick more powerful than before". You have to agree with me here raf, what were you thinking when you started Jam? something along these lines "I will make the biggest track ever made" but as you soon realized you were running out of things to add to the omni, what did you try to do? you made the most amazing sets of multi-contacted, triple stacked alt/flings I have ever seen, because you needed to challenge yourself, you needed something to show that this took skill. You are the latest person to set the height of the bar, now there may be a new bar.... And who's going to set that standard?
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by KillinTime2792 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm

"nuu, this is new, it scares me. new things are never good! waahhh!"

that's what you guys sound like.

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Cereal on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:15 pm

KillinTime2792 wrote:"nuu, this is new, it scares me. new things are never good! waahhh!"

that's what you guys sound like.

It's not that new things are bad, it's just that this new line type needs a lot of tweaking.

_________________
Times They Are A-Changin'  

>>The Ph Series<<
EXPLOSIVO

Words of Wisdom:

OTDE wrote:Be active and we'll love you forever. Make tracks and we'll love you five-ever.

FlagCapper wrote:How is a Quirk a Quirk when it becomes more of the same?

Eric Cartman wrote:If you want to find some quality friends, you've gotta wait through all the dicks first.

avatar
Cereal
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by KillinTime2792 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Cereal wrote:
KillinTime2792 wrote:"nuu, this is new, it scares me. new things are never good! waahhh!"

that's what you guys sound like.

It's not that new things are bad, it's just that this new line type needs a lot of tweaking.

except people react this way EVERY TIME something new happens. they complain about it "not being in the spirit of linerider" or "making the game easier" or other self-opinionated rubbish.

I for one enjoy the idea of new linetypes and other such things.

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Traxis on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

KillinTime2792 wrote:
Cereal wrote:
KillinTime2792 wrote:"nuu, this is new, it scares me. new things are never good! waahhh!"

that's what you guys sound like.

It's not that new things are bad, it's just that this new line type needs a lot of tweaking.

except people react this way EVERY TIME something new happens. they complain about it "not being in the spirit of linerider" or "making the game easier" or other self-opinionated rubbish.

I for one enjoy the idea of new linetypes and other such things.

Unbound - I loved bounce lines and trap door lines
Make those in beta 3.

_________________
Hedgehogs4me wrote:Threadmaster Trax has requested a death. I shall snipe it from the window.





avatar
Traxis
Member

The True Giygas


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by RyderLR on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm too lazy to argue right now, I am against huge change, my opinion.

_________________
Earthquake
Slave to the Rhythm
Shellshocked
Intro
"Aids, they killed my slaves. I need to go buy new ones". - ACwazHere
avatar
RyderLR
Member

WHAT RHYMES WITH SHMINTRO?


View user profile http://youtube.com/ryderofthelines

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by pure5152 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm

KillinTime2792 wrote:
Cereal wrote:
KillinTime2792 wrote:"nuu, this is new, it scares me. new things are never good! waahhh!"

that's what you guys sound like.

It's not that new things are bad, it's just that this new line type needs a lot of tweaking.

except people react this way EVERY TIME something new happens. they complain about it "not being in the spirit of linerider" or "making the game easier" or other self-opinionated rubbish.

I for one enjoy the idea of new linetypes and other such things.
I agree with this, actually.

I'm a conservative. I'm the kind of guy who uses incandescent bulbs for christmas because LED's are too "cold." And that conservative outlook carries over to line rider as well. I realize that new line types can really change line rider, but I feel that not everyone will welcome the changes with open arms. There will probably be a divide between "oldies" who prefer the old way of doing things and the "newbies" who embrace the new changes and utilize them in their tracks. I really am interested to see how this divide will play out, and see what happens to line rider as a result.
avatar
pure5152
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Traxis on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Thing is, I'm all for new ideas, just not used ideas becoming easier. This new line just makes speeding up easier, it's not adding anything to the game. If there was a new line type that did something previously impossible, but creates many new ideas, it wouldn't be so disliked.

_________________
Hedgehogs4me wrote:Threadmaster Trax has requested a death. I shall snipe it from the window.





avatar
Traxis
Member

The True Giygas


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Conundrumer on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 pm

kevansevans wrote:...And who's going to set that standard?
Hi, I specialize in breaking rules. (:
avatar
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Fauxfyre on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Traxis wrote:Thing is, I'm all for new ideas, just not used ideas becoming easier. This new line just makes speeding up easier, it's not adding anything to the game. If there was a new line type that did something previously impossible, but creates many new ideas, it wouldn't be so disliked.
How is this making things easier? Did you see the part of kevansevans video where Bosh actually crashed after he removed one of the lines? These lines don't make him invincible, and personally they are giving me many new ideas, and they are doing something previously impossible

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Cereal on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm

shotoku wrote:
Traxis wrote:Thing is, I'm all for new ideas, just not used ideas becoming easier. This new line just makes speeding up easier, it's not adding anything to the game. If there was a new line type that did something previously impossible, but creates many new ideas, it wouldn't be so disliked.
How is this making things easier? Did you see the part of kevansevans video where Bosh actually crashed after he removed one of the lines? These lines don't make him invincible, and personally they are giving me many new ideas, and they are doing something previously impossible

They make grinding possible.

'nuff said.

_________________
Times They Are A-Changin'  

>>The Ph Series<<
EXPLOSIVO

Words of Wisdom:

OTDE wrote:Be active and we'll love you forever. Make tracks and we'll love you five-ever.

FlagCapper wrote:How is a Quirk a Quirk when it becomes more of the same?

Eric Cartman wrote:If you want to find some quality friends, you've gotta wait through all the dicks first.

avatar
Cereal
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by efrazable on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm

What if there was an AG line that repelled bosh, and a G line that attracted him?

They would look like this:


_________________
LineMagiX wrote:hump
avatar
efrazable
Member

Durr I'm efraz herp derp


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by OTDE on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 pm

efrazable wrote:What if there was an AG line that repelled bosh, and a G line that attracted him?

They would look like this:


i quit ltraly lold

efazbl plz
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by efrazable on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:55 pm


_________________
LineMagiX wrote:hump
avatar
efrazable
Member

Durr I'm efraz herp derp


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Stallie on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

I like how we can make grinding lines, they seem pretty beast now that you can do them in beta V3. For the color of that well type, maybe they could be brown. Anyways, so basically all the wells that you do in the other beta versions are the same as what you can do in beta V3?
avatar
Stallie
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by [senpai] kevans on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am

Traxis wrote:Thing is, I'm all for new ideas, just not used ideas becoming easier. This new line just makes speeding up easier, it's not adding anything to the game. If there was a new line type that did something previously impossible, but creates many new ideas, it wouldn't be so disliked.

Exactly. I've been making these version in hoping that it wil re-kindle Line Rider, but new version aren't what we need, we need new elements.

Conundrumer wrote:
kevansevans wrote:...And who's going to set that standard?
Hi, I specialize in breaking rules. (:

Happy to work with you 8D

Cereal wrote:
shotoku wrote:
Traxis wrote:Thing is, I'm all for new ideas, just not used ideas becoming easier. This new line just makes speeding up easier, it's not adding anything to the game. If there was a new line type that did something previously impossible, but creates many new ideas, it wouldn't be so disliked.
How is this making things easier? Did you see the part of kevansevans video where Bosh actually crashed after he removed one of the lines? These lines don't make him invincible, and personally they are giving me many new ideas, and they are doing something previously impossible

They make grinding possible.

'nuff said.

[censored] YEAH :|

efrazable wrote:What if there was an AG line that repelled bosh, and a G line that attracted him?

They would look like this:


As much as Lol'd, a repealing line may be possible, and I think mhenr did it before.

efrazable wrote:

Please stay on topic. Dolan comics suck anyways.

Stallie wrote:I like how we can make grinding lines, they seem pretty beast now that you can do them in beta V3. For the color of that well type, maybe they could be brown. Anyways, so basically all the wells that you do in the other beta versions are the same as what you can do in beta V3?

The color was decided (Normal) of sea foam green, and (accelerator) purple.
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new line type

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum