We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About stacking and messiness.

+14
rabid squirrel
Orthuss
14mRh4X0r
KillinTime2792
Votale
captain_cornflakes
CamQuartr
Wizzy
GhostY
Opal Rider
Helios Pavonine
Cereal
Sheldon
Rafael
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

About stacking and messiness. Empty About stacking and messiness.

Post by Rafael Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:55 am

So, recently I've seen plenty of people criticizing my criticism on stacking. I thought it'd be nice to show people the fundamental difference between stacking methods and the reason some are liked and some aren't.
I'm going to take a recent track where I disliked the stacking (Cloud Nine) and compare it with Incito.
The first thing that decreases the amount of ugliness added to a track is the distance between the 2 (or more) stacked wells. IMO, in stacks, the lines should be spaced out in a way that there is around one line width (or more) of white between the two lines, like in here:
Spoiler:
This creates a different effect than when the lines are very close to eachother, like in here:
Spoiler:
The first one looks more clean (IMO).
Tip: If you have a stack with wells close to each other, try moving the weak(est) well(s) further away from the strong(est) one(s). It often has no effect to the strength of the well and works just fine.
The second one is the angle and size of the stacking lines compared to each other. They shouldn't differ too much (although sometimes it's not possible, like when you want to make certain "WTF" wells, but when making your wells stronger it shouldn't be too hard), so like this:
Spoiler:
And not like this:
Spoiler:
The same goes for the lines of the fling by the way. The size of all the lines of the fling should be around the same.
As a third point I want to bring up that the consistency of your stacks are of great importance. If you have to stack, try to stack the entire fling instead of a few wells of the fling (or whatever trick you're making). If you need to add some lines that don't add to the power of the well but makes your trick more consistent in stacking, then I'd recommend you to do so, so if you have a fling like this, make it like this (or preferably this).
I think that's all I wanted to say really. If you do these things (I know it's not always possible) your flings should look better and your tracks cleaner.
Thanks for reading and please tell me if I forgot something Smile

P.S.: This is all my opinion, haters gonna hate.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

About stacking and messiness. Empty Re: About stacking and messiness.

Post by Sheldon Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm

A good example of all of these things is Valance.

Last edited by Sheldon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Sheldon wrote:A good example of all of these things is Valence.

I'm confused, is it "Valance" or "Valence"?

I kind of agree, Raf. I don't mind "ugly" stacking, but do I prefer clean stacking.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Ugly stacking in beginner tracks is what I hate the most xD
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Helios Pavonine wrote:Ugly stacking in beginner tracks is what I hate the most xD
If it's a "beginner" track, then it's made by a "beginner" and we wouldn't be commenting on what the wells look like in the first place.
There are a few times when I actually like stacking. Take painlobster for example. His tracks are stacked completely different from what's shown here, and it looks really good. So really It's not how far out the lines are from each other in my oppinion more as the consistancy.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostY Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm

yeah this almost applies to scenery in a way, if you want a very rough rugged look you put them on top of each other and angle the other line a little more. and if you want a clean look you leave a white space.

good job raf Very Happy
GhostY
GhostY

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 pm

I do like the spaced out stacks more but I don't think a "no-space" stack is a big deal. Cleanliness isn't usually something I would look for in a quirk. In fact it's quite the opposite, I think I like more messiness in a quirk. If I'm watching a track with weird wells and awkward flings, I want it to look effed up and crazy.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by CamQuartr Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Raf, what would be better: a weak fling, or an "ugly" fling?

CamQuartr

http://www.CameronKashtan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 am

Depends really, I think one weak fling bothers me more than one ugly fling, but when a track is full of ugly flings I'm constantly bothered by the look of the track and when there are a lot of weak flings they bother me only at the moment of the flings. Or something. xD
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_cornflakes Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:02 am

I think we're taking this way too seriously. :|
captain_cornflakes
captain_cornflakes

http://steamcommunity.com/id/captain_cornflakes/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm

a1c4s8 wrote:I think we're taking this way too seriously. :|

You just had to ruin the moment.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:56 pm

It was supposed to be Valence but Sotl messed up in editing. The track name is now a type of drapery. :|
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:08 pm

I agree.

I'm going to make a stacking tut, because there's a way to get rid of touching/sloppy stacks easily that I've done many times, and it even makes it look more powerful Very Happy

I'm sure some people do it, I'd just like to reveal it to those who might have not so that we don't see sloppiness complaints.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 pm

imo tracks shouldn't have to look pretty unless they're scenery tracks, quirks and shizz should be as messy as they wanna be

2 cents
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 pm

There's no harm in being cleaner.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by 14mRh4X0r Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:33 am

Kramwood wrote:
Rafael wrote:Tip: If you have a stack with wells close to each other, try moving the weak(est) well(s) further away from the strong(est) one(s). It often has no effect to the strength of the well and works just fine.

If it's fine it's not powerful enough.
For your taste.
14mRh4X0r
14mRh4X0r

Nobody appreciates the term 'hacker' anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by Orthuss Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 am

KillinTime2792 wrote:imo tracks shouldn't have to look pretty unless they're scenery tracks, quirks and shizz should be as messy as they wanna be

2 cents

This. SO much.
I remember the whole discussion between Power and Style. We've all agreed on the fact that while stacked lines do increase power, this effect can easily be done with two seperated clean lines instead of 5 lines stacked close together.
And?

Let's talk about the style aspect of stacked lines. There's something about a well-executed messy track that just makes it so unique. You can't really replicate this, this, or this without stacked lines. It just won't be the same track. These three trackmakers, for instance, have a style which utilizes a LOT of stacked lines, and the tracks still look beautiful. Beautifully messy. The lines don't just add power. They also add style.

There's definitely some of you people who are hypocrites about this. In the discussion between Style and Power, a lot of people said that a balance of style and power is needed, but power should not be favored before style. "Messy" stacks don't just add to power, they add to the unique style of a track and generally the image of the track as a whole. Take away the stacks, and you take away the beauty of a track in its entirety. I'm sure that Cloud Nine would feel very different style-wise without stacked lines, even if it is the same track in the end.

2 cents
Orthuss
Orthuss

Walruss

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 am

Orthuss wrote:
KillinTime2792 wrote:imo tracks shouldn't have to look pretty unless they're scenery tracks, quirks and shizz should be as messy as they wanna be

2 cents

This. SO much.
I remember the whole discussion between Power and Style. We've all agreed on the fact that while stacked lines do increase power, this effect can easily be done with two seperated clean lines instead of 5 lines stacked close together.
And?

Let's talk about the style aspect of stacked lines. There's something about a well-executed messy track that just makes it so unique. You can't really replicate this, this, or this without stacked lines. It just won't be the same track. These three trackmakers, for instance, have a style which utilizes a LOT of stacked lines, and the tracks still look beautiful. Beautifully messy. The lines don't just add power. They also add style.

There's definitely some of you people who are hypocrites about this. In the discussion between Style and Power, a lot of people said that a balance of style and power is needed, but power should not be favored before style. "Messy" stacks don't just add to power, they add to the unique style of a track and generally the image of the track as a whole. Take away the stacks, and you take away the beauty of a track in its entirety. I'm sure that Cloud Nine would feel very different style-wise without stacked lines, even if it is the same track in the end.

2 cents
Fascinating. Naked tracks now have an artistic aspect! It's not just about the dance anymore, it's about the look!
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

^You sound surprised.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Orthuss wrote:

2 cents

This. SO much.
And?

2 cents
I disagree. The stacks in Sahasrara don't really bother me, but that's because the track isn't very compact (yet slowpaced) and thus you can see everything pretty clearly. As for Origin and Topioca, IMO they'd be better without the stacks. Messiness is part of style indeed, but part of style doesn't always have to be a good thing Wink. That's just my opinion of course, and there may be exceptions (to come), but in general, I like nicely stacked tracks much more than ugly ones.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I think all tracks look ghey like poop. /OCD
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:26 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:Fascinating. Naked tracks now have an artistic aspect! It's not just about the dance anymore, it's about the look!

I always thought of naked tracks having an artistic aspect ._. I figured everyone did.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Lukking wouldn't be the same without his stacks... <3
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Opal Rider wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:Fascinating. Naked tracks now have an artistic aspect! It's not just about the dance anymore, it's about the look!

I always thought of naked tracks having an artistic aspect ._. I figured everyone did.

Nope, just you
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:48 pm

rabid quirrel wrote:Fascinating. Naked tracks now have an artistic aspect! It's not just about the dance anymore, it's about the look!

Is that something new?
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next