We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

+17
Ktk
Chuggers
aspi33
efrazable
KillinTime2792
Chui Ninji
-Nexus-
Wizzy
SethComposerGuy
Rave
[senpai] kevans
Sheldon
captain_cornflakes
IGLima
wolfo9
Stallie
LineMagiX
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? Empty What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

Post by LineMagiX Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Sitting on a '98 Dell here. It's already horrible to begin with, but now i'm facing 12 fps @ 900 lines. Unacceptable.

So what are some good ways to make it a little bit faster?
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? Empty Re: What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

Post by Stallie Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Two options:

1 Get a mac or win7.

2 Deal with it.
Stallie
Stallie

Back to top Go down

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? Empty Re: What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

Post by wolfo9 Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:03 pm

buy some bigger capacity ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=147&name=Desktop-Memory
make sure you get the right type that fits your computer
wolfo9
wolfo9

http://www.wolfgangschroeer-smith.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IGLima Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Well, I suggest you get a new computer. :P But here's some simple things you can do:
-Remove excess files/empty the recycle bin/uninstall old stuff (you can use disk cleanup to do this)
-De-frag the hardrive
-Turn graphics/settings to low

That should help. Smile
IGLima
IGLima

Featured Video: Silent Flame Scened

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_cornflakes Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Stallie wrote:Two options:

1 Get a mac or win7.

2 Deal with it.
Changing OS won't fix lag. Wink
captain_cornflakes
captain_cornflakes

http://steamcommunity.com/id/captain_cornflakes/

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:03 pm

IGLima wrote:Well, I suggest you get a new computer. :P But here's some simple things you can do:
-Remove excess files/empty the recycle bin/uninstall old stuff (you can use disk cleanup to do this)
-De-frag the hardrive
-Turn graphics/settings to low

That should help. Smile

Thanks. Thumbs Up
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Run line rider with high priority.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:50 pm

get some ram
defrag the hardrive
remove no longer needed problems
Spoiler:
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rave Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 pm

well my internet ran slowly so we complained to SKY company and all out sky was going throught telly so it was making it slow and he fixed it and now its fast happy life Smile
Rave
Rave

Back to top Go down

Post by SethComposerGuy Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:15 pm

prevent all unnecessary programs from running when you start the computer.

I suggest using CCleaner for this.
SethComposerGuy
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:55 pm

Delete all temporary internet files
Run Disk Cleanup
Uninstall programs you don't use
Defrag
...That's all I got
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by -Nexus- Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Get this.
http://www.tweaknow.com/powerPack.php
It does a lot. For example it can uninstall programs, it has the functions of ccleaner/disk cleanup, it can show you what takes the most space on your disk in every folder, clean your registry, etc.
But buying a new chip of ram is more efficient.
-Nexus-
-Nexus-

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Protip: before you use an automated cleaner, back up any temporary files you want to keep. (localhost hint hint) I suppose you'd want to know that beforehand, instead of learning from experience...like me.
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

^Yeah I already know. I lost Nocturnal 2 to Ccleaner awhile back. ;_;

Thanks for the help everyone. Obviously getting a new pc isn't an option, but I'm going to back some stuff up and give Ccleaner another chance.

also i just installed Adobe CS3 Master Collection a few days ago. That probably isn't going to help much. xD
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Give it some legs

seriously you guys are no help whatsoever :|
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 pm

KillinTime2792 wrote:Give it some legs

seriously you guys are no help whatsoever What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? 581354
And feet.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by aspi33 Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am

If you have had the computer for some time, which you most likely have, there are thousands of both smaller and larger fractions of former, or whole unused, software lying around and slow down your computer. The very simplest, but also hardest, way to get rid of the leftover crap is to reinstall your OS. If you feel comfortable with that, I strongly suggest doing it. If you almost feel comfortable with it, I still strongly suggest doing it, but you should read up your knowledge a lot beforehand. Then you will know things like you should back up your activation before formatting, different partition setups, having a Windows install ROM is legal, and can legally be downloaded from the Internet (at specific sites), etc. If you want help, let me know, and I'll try help you out Smile

Other than this bulletproof tip, Lifehacker is your friend Wink This is targeted towards slow boot-ups, but has very much affect on the post-boot performance as well. And a quicker boot is no bad thing either Wink

Btw, Microsoft Security Essentials eliminate the need for expensive memory-hogs like Norton Internet Security, MacAfee, Norman etc. Wink

Good luck.
aspi33
aspi33
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/aspi333

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:50 pm

you could always go to http://downloadmoreram.com Hehe

actually I prefer it if you don't
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Found out not too long ago that we're getting a new family laptop for xmas, so I'm getting this comp for myself. I'm going to delete all of the other accounts off of this one and get some new hardware and see if I can upgrade this to Win7. Does anybody know how to check if this system is compatible, or what I need to get to make it compatible for an upgrade?
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 am

buy an sSD
Ktk
Ktk

Back to top Go down

Post by captain_cornflakes Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 am

If you want to make LR go faster but not the whole comp, you can just set the process that's running LR to a higher priority.
captain_cornflakes
captain_cornflakes

http://steamcommunity.com/id/captain_cornflakes/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon971 Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:13 pm

a1c4s8 wrote:

1 Get a mac or win7.

2 Deal with it.
In fact it'll multiply your problem. The graphics of win 7 would **** your computer in the ass
Brandon971
Brandon971

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfo9 Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Brandon971 wrote:
a1c4s8 wrote:

1 Get a mac or win7.

2 Deal with it.
In fact it'll multiply your problem. The graphics of win 7 would **** your computer in the ass

You can set the display theme to Windows Basic and everything works fine.
wolfo9
wolfo9

http://www.wolfgangschroeer-smith.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 pm

a1c4s8 wrote:If you want to make LR go faster but not the whole comp, you can just set the process that's running LR to a higher priority.

Yea, I tried that and it raises lr up about 4 fps, but it makes itunes lag. It does help if i listen to an mp3 player instead of itunes though. Very Happy

And thanks Ktk, I'll look into it.
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon971 Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 pm

~boo wrote:
a1c4s8 wrote:If you want to make LR go faster but not the whole comp, you can just set the process that's running LR to a higher priority.

Yea, I tried that and it raises lr up about 4 fps, but it makes itunes lag. It does help if i listen to an mp3 player instead of itunes though. Very Happy

And thanks Ktk, I'll look into it.
paying for an ssd, your better off with a new computer
Brandon971
Brandon971

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next