We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LR Discussion: Conveying Emotion

+2
Opal Rider
SPL4SHZ0N3
6 posters

Go down

LR Discussion: Conveying Emotion Empty LR Discussion: Conveying Emotion

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I was reminiscing this morning, and decided to watch some older line rider tracks. While watching, I noticed that the tracks that retain their luster are ones that try to convey a unique or definite emotion, or ones that show progression of emotions. So, 2 questions for you guys- what are some of the tracks that, in your opinion, convey emotion the best? And also, what are some of the ways that tracks convey emotions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOI0bcUL--A Pure5152's "Sublime Swing" = pure, self-indulgent happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1lOhthABY Hedgehogs4me's "Lilac Wine" = hope for the future, yet also resigned
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

LR Discussion: Conveying Emotion Empty Re: LR Discussion: Conveying Emotion

Post by Opal Rider Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 pm

I try to do this with almost every single one of my tracks, although usually it doesn't work out as well as I hope it to.

However, one of the biggest things that conveys the feel of the track (and some may disagree with this) is the music choice. Take The Source, for example. It's roughly the same old Rafael style track as, say, Sonic Motion. But because of the song picked, it gives the track a flowier, earthly feel to it.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Blue Champion. I feel like it has an underlying meaning, but I can't put my finger on it.

How it conveys emotion? I think it's the often-mentioned 'soul'. Compare Radioactive and Blue Champion with eachother, for example. Both great tracks but Radioactive is just all tricks and pretty generic flow (no offense, Lankher) where as Blue Champion tries to tell something, I guess convey something.

It's the vibe of 'just tricks and generic flow' that I see more and more in tracks. Despite different tricks and styles, most feel the same to me.

If only I could time travel...
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Leomur, joy.

Anomaly, fun.
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

My personal selection:

1) Sublime by Votale - This track just screams fun and smoothness, just like in the intro.
2) Ideology by FlagCapper - This just feels so futuristic and visionary; when the track really gets going, I get a sense of triumph.
3) Triumph by Inukaza - Case in point. This one is self-explanatory.
4) Cheetah by Raf and SCG - A hard-hitting, powerful, don't-mess-around kind of vibe. The first run is a brutal staredown, and the second run gives it a whole new side of energy.
5) The Tales of Twelve by The LCC - Fun premise, fun track, fun music, fun editing... I think you know what I'm trying to get at here.
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 pm

SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote: I was reminiscing this morning, and decided to watch some older line rider tracks. While watching, I noticed that the tracks that retain their luster are ones that try to convey a unique or definite emotion, or ones that show progression of emotions. So, 2 questions for you guys- what are some of the tracks that, in your opinion, convey emotion the best? And also, what are some of the ways that tracks convey emotions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOI0bcUL--A Pure5152's "Sublime Swing" = pure, self-indulgent happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1lOhthABY Hedgehogs4me's "Lilac Wine" = hope for the future, yet also resigned

Been saying that for years...

One word: Techdawg

Also, this is what I'm sort of doing in a way with my next track "Paralytic."

Edit: Actually I want to say a lot more on this subject.
I find the tracks I love the most, the ones that inspire me the most are usually the ones where the entirety of the video (editing, music choice, track, etc.) all come together to make something very unique. The ones that you can connect to, no different than a feature film. One thing I always try to do with my tracks is try to connect with the audience. Make them really get invested in the track and video itself (I know it sounds silly, given that it's just a whimsical game, but it works.) Think of yourself as a director, directing your own production. Think of The Dark Knight trilogy Very Happy for instance. You get invested in these characters and it's so immersive and pulls you in. If you were writing a book you wouldn't want it to be boring would you? In the same way, try to connect with your audience, make it interesting, thoughtful or even thought-provoking (for instance, Hedge's Vision that changed quirk), get them kind of invested but not in the same sense of character development, in the sense that they're on an adventure, or tell a story, and if you can do that, then you've got something very special indeed.

I know it sounds silly and kind of ridiculous to think of it that way, but those are often the reasons why I love the tracks that I do (such as One Eyed Giant, Jagged Peak Adventure, Discarded, and many more) and why I love them the most.

If anyone would like to add to the conversation... well I'm sure you will anyway Suspicious but please do. I would much enjoy a discussion/conversation on the topic.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down