We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broken ~ rabid

+15
Rafael
mmtunligit
TheRevTastic
OTDE
ACwazHere
Chuggers
cvang
Z_N-Freak
efrazable
Helios Pavonine
Sheldon
gaoyubao
Conundrumer
Apple
rabid squirrel
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Broken ~ rabid - Page 2 Empty Re: Broken ~ rabid

Post by Sheldon Fri May 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Well I still don't see all the hype, all I experience is boredom when I see this track. Oh well, but my comment will be ignored because the only type of 'criticism' rabid will accept is positive. As Anton once said; "We aren't here to suck your dick." well at least I am not.
inb4 delete
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri May 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Rafael wrote:That really got to me. I haven't suffered from depression myself, but I've learned a lot from it through psychology so I know some things about it. Here's how I interpreted some of the movements, please correct me if I'm wrong!
The track slowing down around the 3 minute mark feels like the lowest point of depression. Time standing still, struggling to get through life, not knowing what to do.
When the words 'You are worthwhile' appear, the first stage of improvement starts. You go from feeling miserable about yourself to feeling neutral about yourself. When 'Ýou are valued' is reached you go from feeling neutral to feeling good about yourself.
To me the fact that the track goes upward through the first half seems a bit counterintuitive. I feel that the start depicts depression getting worse, so in which case going downward makes more sense. Maybe I interpreted it wrong though. For the rest AC put into words some really cool details.

I really love this release of yours. You can't put more meaning in only 300 lines. 99% sure this will get my vote.
I have to be honest, I was not expecting this response from you! But thank you, and yes, your analysis is spot on.

Sheldon wrote:Well I still don't see all the hype, all I experience is boredom when I see this track. Oh well, but my comment will be ignored because the only type of 'criticism' rabid will accept is positive. As Anton once said; "We aren't here to suck your dick." well at least I am not.
inb4 delete
There is a line between expressing your opinion and attacking someone with it. You have crossed that line by making 4 posts in this thread in which you have repeated the exact same opinion in increasingly disrespectful ways.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Fri May 06, 2016 1:29 pm

I've spoken to others no one sees them as an attack. And, well maybe I wouldn't post multiple times if I got a response the first time, but w/e. It's against the rules apparently feel free to ban/delete posts, as your ruling reins supreme.
This is not a democracy.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri May 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Sheldon wrote:I've spoken to others no one sees them as an attack. And, well maybe I wouldn't post multiple times if I got a response the first time, but w/e. It's against the rules apparently feel free to ban/delete posts, as your ruling reins supreme.
This is not a democracy.
It's not against the rules, you're just being a dick.

You're also incorrect. I responded indirectly to your first post where I thanked you and the other commenters for being honest and thoughtful, I responded directly to your second, and I responded directly to your fourth. Now I'm responding directly to your FIFTH post where you are even more disrespectful and not even on topic anymore. I've spent more time responding to you than everyone else in this thread combined.

I also don't know where you get the idea that I will delete your posts and ban you just because you disagree with me. I have literally never done that to anyone.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cocopops Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Drama aside, I would agree with Sheldon on the fact that this track was not fun (I know it's not the point at all, mostly because of the depression message), and I am having a very hard time enjoying those "reality" tracks...
Maybe because I did not myself, nor my relatives, suffered from depression, or maybe because Line Rider is not the kind of content that will hit me with this type of emotions.
But still, it was worth trying and considering the feedback it appears to touch some people so I guess it's a success !

(sorry if the syntax is not on point, sometimes I still have trouble expressing myself in english)
Cocopops
Cocopops

French

Back to top Go down

Post by mmtunligit Fri May 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Sheldon wrote:Well I still don't see all the hype, all I experience is boredom when I see this track. Oh well, but my comment will be ignored because the only type of 'criticism' rabid will accept is positive. As Anton once said; "We aren't here to suck your dick." well at least I am not.
inb4 delete

please guys, this is the kind of things that tear us apart, if we continue to talk like this, moe people will leave. Please, I don't want to see this community die.

rabidsquirrel wrote:It's not against the rules, you're just being a dick.

This is also what I'm talking about. We need to stop talking like this, or the community will die.
mmtunligit
mmtunligit

Nerds like me rule

Back to top Go down

Post by shiny Sat May 07, 2016 1:29 am

I was super impressed by this track. You managed to tell a powerful, relate-able and accessible story with extremely limited resources. (That being said, I hope the minimalist contest requirements didn't limit you too much on your vision for this track). Watching the track, I was given the sense that I understood bosh's mindset and how the various obstacles in the track affected him. The part that was most powerful to me was around 2:50 when bosh slowed down and started oscillating up and down to the point where the highs and lows bled together and I lost sight of bosh's mindset and the best way I can describe it is that it felt like silence. To me, it proposed the idea that perhaps while being depressed you lose sight of what happiness even is. I have no idea if this was intentional, but it spoke to me.

I had to try really hard to think of something that maybe didn't quite work for me, and this is all I could come up with:
My only point of criticism was that the end of the track seemed just a little bit disconnected from the story you were creating. To me, this track was following bosh's journey, but the ending didn't feel resolved. Bosh just went flat and the words "You are not alone" were displayed. This was still very powerful (and I'm being very picky). However, it may have been more powerful to create an ending for bosh's story that wouldn't even need words, but would still emit that idea of togetherness Overall, fantastic job and I look forward to more tracks from you.
shiny
shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat May 07, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks so much for your comment shiny! Your analysis is spot-on. It's super exciting to me that so many people are interpreting the track in ways I hoped they would!

No, I didn't feel too limited by the requirements. I ended up with just over 200 lines actually.

I did think about how it would be ideal to create a good feeling at the end without the words, but I couldn't come up with a way to do it more effectively than words. (But, it was "you are valued" not "you are not alone" and that was intentional)

I think we can convey any emotion in Line Rider, we just haven't figured out how yet. (Like ZNF mentioned)

Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Sat May 07, 2016 4:34 pm

I didn't hugely enjoy this track, but I love that the expression is happening. I think that the theory of emotions in line rider have a lot of time before they will develop, but this is a cool track. I think that the fact that I didn't enjoy watching the track was weighed heavy on depression expression; rabid I think you did a great job with that. The problem that I have for this track, and I guess line rider as art is: Line rider, to me, was a toy of exploration in flash physics and cool tricks. It reminded me of the relief in life that I aught to find in extreme sports but without the commitment of physical exertion. Line rider was a huge part of my life because when I was younger, probably about the age of 14, I had destroyed right knee skiing. Line rider was used as a release from reality, much like my skiing was; it was relaxing. Now, I don't know if the lack of love toward this track is because I didn't feel escape from depression in Line Rider, but, as I stated, used line rider as a toy. Or, maybe I don't have love for this track because of the expression and how it is expressed. I don't hate the expression of depression and I see it in art everyday, and I'm a huge art [censored], but when I do see it expressed in art it's so much heavier than this track. I'm not trying to peg you down either, but I think depression can be implemented better in quirk because you have a higher access to tools for expression-- movement; yes, I understand that there is a high variable of movement in this track but the movement expressed, to me, didn't seem depressing but rather coming to age; the expression of learning of one's potential. I think that considering it is a right move in the direction of expression I do like the track, but I think negative movement and positive movement should be explored more deeply. I really liked the sections after about 4:10. So I guess I'm going to lean to the less popular view of this track, a sole of dislike to stand on. But, what you did do for me was, you left me a state of ponder and I'm wondering the placement of line rider art in society, or at least the society of our site, and for that I hugely appreciate the work.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat May 07, 2016 6:07 pm

If people weren't going so deep in their interpretation, this would not be worth it as a track
I think the reason some of us are upset over the reception this track is getting is because this track didn't require as much hard grinding as quirk or even scenery does, but achieves the same level, if not more, of meaning.

It'd be neato if people were to dig as deeply into interpreting quirk and scenery and every single track as they do for THIS kind of Line Riding.
Let's go back and re-evaluate our ideas on every single track.

Hey, also, this is a good place to learn an important lesson Rabid taught me:
Just because somebody doesn't agree with you and is exercising their right not to and doesn't ta lk in a way you would agree with, does not make them a dick. Smile

Rabid, this track is something I NEEDED. I lost my mom, my sense of security, my home, my entire life basically fell apart recently. I've been trying to get out of depression and something about this track has change my life....

Thank you.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Mon May 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Oh my gosh I feel so dumb about the font thing. My internet's been down for a while but I just thought back to this and got on my phone :facepalm:
But if someone were to make another track in this vein without the line constraint, I'm sure the effect will be all the more powerful Smile
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2