We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daisies

+12
Z_N-Freak
ScrungleBlumpkus
Sheldon
shammies
rabid squirrel
Opal Rider
anton
Rafael
FlagCapper
Conundrumer
Apple
OTDE
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Daisies - Page 2 Empty Re: Daisies

Post by Helios Pavonine Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm

I think this is a beautiful, well-crafted and genuine track. On my first watch I was rather surprised by its simplicity and quality of sync, then after 2 or 3 times I noticed there were definitely some things I didn't like. However, I just rewatched it and realized this video feels so 'in your face' because of its simplicity and emotionally charged song. I can see why some might think it's a protest against quirk or non-accessibility. The execution and presentation are so on point that the message of the whole thing becomes blurred, if that makes any sense.

When I let go of that idea and saw it was just a fun little project from two fantastic riders, I was left with an enjoyable and unique collaboration with a few interesting ideas. I thought the green tail manual was the highlight; super smooth and not expected at all. The flatsled was a great addition and fit the music perfectly. Not so much of a fan of the airtime at 1:45. Sure, it does sync, but there's no need for such a long pause in such a mellow track, imo. Maybe some more zooming out and in at the end would've made that section more captivating. Lastly, I think you sacrificed too much of your creativity and skills (trackmaking-wise) in favor of syncing. About 50% of the track are just plain manuals, with which I would've had no problems had they been used as build-up, like in NODA.

All in all, you've pulled off something new and refreshing, but also very old-fashioned. This is Line Rider as I knew it. It's cool to see Bosh not being used as a puppet. I hope to see more artsy, experimental tracks from you, OTDE. They're without a doubt more interesting to watch than your old manuquirks. As for you, Rabid, I'd say this track is a lot better than Colorblind, for abovementioned reasons. Keep going, and I'm excited for that giant project you're working on.

Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 pm

Anton wrote:
I get it, line rider is a platform for art and there are so many things that are left unexplored. You're trying to make the jump from niché to accessible art. I've shown some of my favorite tracks to friends of mine, and they have all been capeable of pointing out the which tracks are great, and which are not. Why this urge to simplify, nay stupidify, your work? Kramwood-stuff is far too complex for the non-rider, but tracks like Sssschillers Blank is boring, Pawels Crust, Opals abandoned 2, OTDEs gospel, are already somewhat accesible!

I guess, all I am saying is that I feel like some of this stuff is taking an uneccessary step step back, but what do I know. Maybe it is necessary to do so in order to move away from our current ways in order to branch out, which are indeed heavily influenced by quirk philosophy and lingo.

Valid response! I think there's something I should establish here— I didn't go into this track thinking "I'm gonna make this track simple so it's accessible." If that's a consequence of what the track is doing, cool! This track, though, was mostly me saying to rabid "yo what if we made a track to this song" and rabid being like "fukken sweet, dawg" and then both of us looking at the song and being like "damn, it's pretty slow." From there, we kinda just went with it. I wouldn't say it made the track more stupid, but it certainly contributed to the "slow af" aesthetic.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes when you try an idea, you gotta start with something simple before you make something complicated so you can ask "is it worth it to make this idea more complex?"

This brings us to the question I've been trying to figure out for a while: "Are accessibility and complexity mutually exclusive?"
The answer that's seemed to have arisen out of this discussion is "Maybe, but it's really difficult to balance the two."

I promise, I'm not done with making things that are more precisely executed Wink I'm just trying to put some new ideas out there, so that I can develop on them later.

I'm sorry if this project came off as a bit "in ur face, quirk." It really wasn't meant that way.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 pm

HP omg thank you for the thoughtful response! I really really appreciate it. I don't have anything specific to respond to but you've definitely given me some stuff to think about for the future Smile
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:34 am

realized we never posted this

http://conundrumer.com/lr/?track=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88470717/my%20projects/daisies%20final.track.json&audio=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88470717/my%20projects/Daisies%20Of%20The%20Galaxy.mp3

Link to track with autoloaded music
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by delisammich Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:34 am

Hello, I was brought here by conundrumer... I'm not really part of the line rider community and I pretty much never played or used the program, but he was suggesting that I give feedback on my experience watching these creations, so here I am, giving it a try. Hope it's helpful! Very Happy

1. Sometimes when Bosh is launched and lands, it's a little delayed, and that's perfect because this song has a lazy/laid-back feeling. However, sometimes, I still feel it's a little too early. I also feel like there should be some smooth transition between the phrases that you'd like to take advantage of the delayed launch and land vs the phrases that you'd like for it to be very smooth and on time.

2. I like when you aren't always just following the guitar strum rhythm. One example of that is around 2:05, when you recycle your line and go backwards, it is refreshing because every measure you would make Bosh use a different curve. It's refreshing because you aren't doing something that is expected, which is creating a new curve for the new measure, so it's a coo choice. Another example is around 2:28, where you follow the oohs instead because that's how you wanna phrase it. However, it gets a little too repetitive, when you could maybe actually go back to following the guitar strums there to provide contrast or something.

3. Also, I really like the air time usage Very Happy

Overall, I think it's a really nice and calming piece that has a good feeling throughout. It was a pleasure to watch Very Happy

delisammich

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 am

Hello and thank you very much for your time!

delisammich wrote:1. Sometimes when Bosh is launched and lands, it's a little delayed, and that's perfect because this song has a lazy/laid-back feeling. However, sometimes, I still feel it's a little too early. I also feel like there should be some smooth transition between the phrases that you'd like to take advantage of the delayed launch and land vs the phrases that you'd like for it to be very smooth and on time.
This is very interesting feedback but I honestly have no idea what moments you are referring to. If you have a minute could you give timestamps?

delisammich wrote:2. I like when you aren't always just following the guitar strum rhythm. One example of that is around 2:05, when you recycle your line and go backwards, it is refreshing because every measure you would make Bosh use a different curve. It's refreshing because you aren't doing something that is expected, which is creating a new curve for the new measure, so it's a coo choice. Another example is around 2:28, where you follow the oohs instead because that's how you wanna phrase it. However, it gets a little too repetitive, when you could maybe actually go back to following the guitar strums there to provide contrast or something.
Thanks for this feedback! Glad you liked the sync with the oohs. It has become clear to me that the repetition in that section is not for everyone but I still probably wouldn't change it Smile I'm honestly not sure why, it was just what I felt the track needed at that point I guess.

delisammich wrote:3. Also, I really like the air time usage Very Happy

Overall, I think it's a really nice and calming piece that has a good feeling throughout. It was a pleasure to watch Very Happy
Yay someone likes the airtime! haha

Thank you very much for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed it!
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by delisammich Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:39 am

rabid squirrel wrote:Hello and thank you very much for your time!

delisammich wrote:1. Sometimes when Bosh is launched and lands, it's a little delayed, and that's perfect because this song has a lazy/laid-back feeling. However, sometimes, I still feel it's a little too early. I also feel like there should be some smooth transition between the phrases that you'd like to take advantage of the delayed launch and land vs the phrases that you'd like for it to be very smooth and on time.
This is very interesting feedback but I honestly have no idea what moments you are referring to. If you have a minute could you give timestamps?

Examples: 1:47 - although conundrumer brought to my attention that you might have been trying to match the head bob to the music hit as opposed to the sled landing, which makes sense, although I guess I was very focused on the sled for some reason :O

Around 0:47-ish, there are a bunch of curves and right up until after the free fall for a bit, it feels like I am not sure what you were going for there, or it feels a bit weak or something like that. It's hard to say. I'm being very picky right now :P

rabid squirrel wrote:
delisammich wrote:2. I like when you aren't always just following the guitar strum rhythm. One example of that is around 2:05, when you recycle your line and go backwards, it is refreshing because every measure you would make Bosh use a different curve. It's refreshing because you aren't doing something that is expected, which is creating a new curve for the new measure, so it's a coo choice. Another example is around 2:28, where you follow the oohs instead because that's how you wanna phrase it. However, it gets a little too repetitive, when you could maybe actually go back to following the guitar strums there to provide contrast or something.
Thanks for this feedback! Glad you liked the sync with the oohs. It has become clear to me that the repetition in that section is not for everyone but I still probably wouldn't change it Smile I'm honestly not sure why, it was just what I felt the track needed at that point I guess.

Makes sense, was just voicing my personal response to it, but I'm glad you made it that way on purpose, because some people sometimes do not actively make decisions in their creations, so I appreciate very much that you do, regardless of our tastes lining up Smile

rabid squirrel wrote:
delisammich wrote:3. Also, I really like the air time usage Very Happy

Yay someone likes the airtime! haha

Thank you very much for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed it!

Did people not like the airtime?!?! :O I am surprised :O

No problem Very Happy

delisammich

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:22 am

delisammich wrote:Examples: 1:47 - although conundrumer brought to my attention that you might have been trying to match the head bob to the music hit as opposed to the sled landing, which makes sense, although I guess I was very focused on the sled for some reason :O
I am pretty sure you mistyped because 1:47 is in the middle of the huge airtime, lol. I am gurssing you are referring to some of the flatsled stuff int he opening section, in which case yes, I was syncing the head bobs. But I also probably could have done a better job lining up the sled landings as well, no reason I couldn't have done both!
delisammich wrote:Around 0:47-ish, there are a bunch of curves and right up until after the free fall for a bit, it feels like I am not sure what you were going for there, or it feels a bit weak or something like that. It's hard to say. I'm being very picky right now :P
I sorta agree with you on this, but I have to defer to my collaborator as he made that whole section :P
delisammich wrote:Makes sense, was just voicing my personal response to it, but I'm glad you made it that way on purpose, because some people sometimes do not actively make decisions in their creations, so I appreciate very much that you do, regardless of our tastes lining up Smile
This response makes me very happy! Thanks.
delisammich wrote:Did people not like the airtime?!?! :O I am surprised :O
At least one person said there was too much :P
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by shiny Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:03 am

I don't know where to start honestly, so I'll just begin with saying THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I'm in the midst of finals, projects, lack of sleep and all other types of bleh, and this track helped me slow down and relax. It managed to give me comfort in a way that I can't quite explain. I thought it may have just been the song, so I listened to it without watching the track, and it did not impact me nearly as much. In my opinion, this track is the best visualization of a song in linerider that I've seen; at least in terms of following the flow of the song and enhancing the meaning.

Long story short, some Daisies did cheer me up. Thank you =)
shiny
shiny

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:13 pm

I appreciate y'all, and everyone's perspectives, and I appreciate the awesome opportunity I had to make this track with rabid. Thanks, everyone. Smile
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:26 pm

shiny wrote:I don't know where to start honestly, so I'll just begin with saying THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I'm in the midst of finals, projects, lack of sleep and all other types of bleh, and this track helped me slow down and relax. It managed to give me comfort in a way that I can't quite explain. I thought it may have just been the song, so I listened to it without watching the track, and it did not impact me nearly as much. In my opinion, this track is the best visualization of a song in linerider that I've seen; at least in terms of following the flow of the song and enhancing the meaning.

Long story short, some Daisies did cheer me up. Thank you =)
This is probably my favorite comment I have ever received on a Line Rider track in almost a decade of making tracks. Thank you.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:47 am

Rabid, I guess I watched this high and cried about it?
Nice. Meditative. Relaxing. Wow.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Mon May 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Conundrumer wrote:[5/8/16, 1:09:56 AM] David Lu: suspension of disbelief
[5/8/16, 1:10:11 AM] David Lu: some movies have absurd premises but stil manage to take us on an emotional journey
[5/8/16, 1:12:06 AM] David Lu: at the top of my head: start off being very self-conscious of the constraints of the medium, the whimsical qualities of the character we’re stuck with, the assumed environment.

then, change directions. defy expectations. use the initial vocabulary and turn it on its head. build a narrative.

i’m literally just thinking of this on the spot, accessible tracks with emotional narrative
rabid squirrel wrote:This is EXACTLY what I am trying to do with many of my track releases. (Colorblind, Line, Daisies, Broken, another project in the works. Even Driftwood to an extent.)
Seriously asking, what exactly is this track trying to narrate?
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Ooooooo I'm glad this was bumped, because I never saw it. Very Happy

I loved that. I didn't love it because of the dank LR tricks, although there were definitely some cool parts, but rather I liked it because of its vibe and tone. It was just a chill, happy, calm track. I'm really into this style and I'm inspired. It seems like you know what kind of track you wanted to create, and you just went for it and didn't overthink it. Smile Awesome job guys.

I might start a track that's like this, except probably not music synced. Or if I do sync it, I won't sync the whole thing -- just parts.
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 pm

^ Thanks AC!

Rafael wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:[5/8/16, 1:09:56 AM] David Lu: suspension of disbelief
[5/8/16, 1:10:11 AM] David Lu: some movies have absurd premises but stil manage to take us on an emotional journey
[5/8/16, 1:12:06 AM] David Lu: at the top of my head: start off being very self-conscious of the constraints of the medium, the whimsical qualities of the character we’re stuck with, the assumed environment.

then, change directions. defy expectations. use the initial vocabulary and turn it on its head. build a narrative.

i’m literally just thinking of this on the spot, accessible tracks with emotional narrative
rabid squirrel wrote:This is EXACTLY what I am trying to do with many of my track releases. (Colorblind, Line, Daisies, Broken, another project in the works. Even Driftwood to an extent.)
Seriously asking, what exactly is this track trying to narrate?
The way conundrumer phrased it may make it sound like you have to do something totally off the wall and subversive and radical with things that make you question everything, but I don't think that assumption is necessarily true.

This track starts with slow simple flatsled, and then builds on it (with things that the average "layman" would not expect, like quirk, manuals, kramuals, etc) and then comes back to the familiar flatsled at the end. The narrative is defined by the song. It's a simple one because the song is simple, and it's pretty chill, because the song is chill.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2