We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream

+9
Conundrumer
Wolf_Spirit
anton
efrazable
Fauxfyre
OTDE
rabid squirrel
Summoning
Chuggers
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream Empty there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream

Post by Chuggers Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 am

Multiple broadcasters on one channel is decided by adding the associated twitch channel from the main channel itself, who then recieves their own unique stream code to allow them to stream on the channel.  It is not like was previously believed that there is one single stream code that could be passed around irresponsibly to anyone who might want it.  Once again, switching to twitch gives us a much bigger audience, (if you look at the most viewed streams compared to livestream.com, the viewership is almost 100 fold) it allows viewers to follow a stream, so any drifters that stop by might actually have a chance of staying, and the fact that this game is drawing based and can be broadcasted to the "creative" section gives us a probable viewerbase for this unique art style/game.

If this is seriously looked into, which there is no reason not to be, I will volunteer to be head channel owner and manager, because I have experience working with the site and the layouts of stream pages.

If not, I'll just take the audience for myself ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream Empty Re: there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream

Post by Summoning Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 am

100% support. Livestream is like the most dead site I've ever seen lol. I think our user base here rivals theirs.
Summoning
Summoning

Back to top Go down

there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream Empty Re: there is now no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 am

If this is true and there's no other dealbreakers we find then we should totally switch over

We will need to figure how to embed the new chat & stream, rework the instructions sticky for how to stream, and figure out how chat mods differ and such (probably for the better) as well as setting up the account. I'm not sure when I will next have time to do this but as soon as I do I will get right on it
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:21 am

definitely support the idea of a twitch switch.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 am

Of course Twitch doesn't have good VOD support or streaming of Line Rider tracks while nobody is on for 99% of the week

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Summoning Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 am

Fauxfyre wrote:Of course Twitch doesn't have good VOD support or streaming of Line Rider tracks while nobody is on for 99% of the week

How does twitch not have good vod support. It saves all recent broadcasts if you enable the option, you can just save the entire broadcast, create highlights, and upload the broadcasts/highlights to youtube. The only issue with them is if you play copyrighted audio on stream it makes those portions of the vod mute, other than that it's perfectly fine IMO.
Summoning
Summoning

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 am

Summoning wrote:
Fauxfyre wrote:Of course Twitch doesn't have good VOD support or streaming of Line Rider tracks while nobody is on for 99% of the week

How does twitch not have good vod support. It saves all recent broadcasts if you enable the option, you can just save the entire broadcast, create highlights, and upload the broadcasts/highlights to youtube.
Summoning wrote:How does twitch not have good vod support.
Summoning wrote:upload the broadcasts/highlights to youtube.

top kek

unless I misunderstood and there is a good VOD feature for Twitch right now, but last I read up a month or two ago that wasn't implemented very good compared to other sites.

Not as important though, because you still didn't address the bigger issue:

Fauxfyre wrote:streaming of Line Rider tracks while nobody is on for 99% of the week

EDIT: I want to make it clear I want to stream on Twitch, I really would rather, but there is not "no reason to not switch to twitch.tv for the livestream", and I'm not entirely convinced we need to, whether there's proof it would gather a bigger viewerbase, or if it meets our needs as a hobbyist channel to stream to that people hardly use or try to promote when they're even on the normal one.

EDIT2: Just read more into your post Chuggers, how exactly does this fix our security issues with users passing around stream keys? Unless there's a way to confirm what key was used for a hacked stream and invalidate it from central administration, what's to stop people from passing their custom stream key to someone else to use? This just makes it less secure because now we have multiple keys and can only refresh our own if it gets leaked.
Also, nobody ever said you couldn't stream LR to twitch, we just won't have a sponsored community stream there. People bitching they can't stream LR to twitch.tv can do that on their own channels without problem since we started livestreaming

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 am

will my username still be yellow?
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am

So uh, I never jumped on the twitchtrain, but can you save previous streams the same way you can with our current service?
anton
anton

cool

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:09 am

Chuggers wrote:If not, I'll just take the audience for myself ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I estimate two stoned teenagers tops.

but srsy. If Rabid, our leader our god, is up, I am down for whatever 8)

EDIT: sorry for double posting

Last edited by Anton on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
anton
anton

cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Fauxfyre wrote:
EDIT2: Just read more into your post Chuggers, how exactly does this fix our security issues with users passing around stream keys? Unless there's a way to confirm what key was used for a hacked stream and invalidate it from central administration, what's to stop people from passing their custom stream key to someone else to use? This just makes it less secure because now we have multiple keys and can only refresh our own if it gets leaked.
Also, nobody ever said you couldn't stream LR to twitch, we just won't have a sponsored community stream there. People bitching they can't stream LR to twitch.tv can do that on their own channels without problem since we started livestreaming
the main channel adds other channels to the list of those able to stream, and all they are able to do is stream. You need the stream key to connect to the stream and each individual user gets their own key that only works for them. Its the same as livestream, except for the stream key which is needed to identify the channel as the one you are streaming to. The only person with access to the main channel key would be me, and its not possible that it would ever be leaked. As for individuals streaming on their own, sure they can do that, but a hub channel would be more active and give more incentive to follow.

efrazable wrote:will my username still be yellow?
yes, you can change your name color just like on livestream

Anton wrote:So uh, I never jumped on the twitchtrain, but can you save previous streams the same way you can with our current service?
yes, and you can highlight them and upload them to youtube.
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 am

Chuggers wrote:The only person with access to the main channel key would be me
*cough*
If I promise to set this up will you let us create a group staff account so the stream will work as long as there is a staff member active? I just started a new (corporate, temporary) job and should be getting my schedule today. Getting major bank but also working much more regular hours than I am used to. I'll make this a high priority as soon as I have a day off (probs after I get the newsletter done)

I'd be willing to do this just to save staff from the awful headache of banning someone from the site when they have streaming permissions. (I'm assuming they're not automatically chatbox mods if they have a stream key on twitch? because ugh) The viewers we have attracted from livestream.com has been a handful of incredibly bored people who wacth for 5 seconds and are like this sucks bye, so we literally have nothing to lose lol. I would be as surprised as the skeptics if we actually get any viewership at all, but it's not gonna be a tragedy if we don't.

And the stream key system chugs described is actually safer than the livestream.com system (how many times have we been like who dafuq is streaming? and had no way to find out? this was never a major problem thank god but stream sabotage has been a very real threat)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Totally for this, will work on trying to get the twitch chat box and stream at the side too!
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:55 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
Chuggers wrote:The only person with access to the main channel key would be me
*cough*
If I promise to set this up will you let us create a group staff account so the stream will work as long as there is a staff member active? I just started a new (corporate, temporary) job and should be getting my schedule today. Getting major bank but also working much more regular hours than I am used to. I'll make this a high priority as soon as I have a day off (probs after I get the newsletter done)

I'd be willing to do this just to save staff from the awful headache of banning someone from the site when they have streaming permissions. (I'm assuming they're not automatically chatbox mods if they have a stream key on twitch? because ugh) The viewers we have attracted from livestream.com has been a handful of incredibly bored people who wacth for 5 seconds and are like this sucks bye, so we literally have nothing to lose lol. I would be as surprised as the skeptics if we actually get any viewership at all, but it's not gonna be a tragedy if we don't.
Being able to stream doesn't make them chat mods, thank god.  Also, you guys can run it if you want to, I just want to have a say in design of the channel

rabid squirrel wrote:
And the stream key system chugs described is actually safer than the livestream.com system (how many times have we been like who dafuq is streaming? and had no way to find out? this was never a major problem thank god but stream sabotage has been a very real threat)
I'm actually unsure of how this compares to livestream anymore, after some testing with josh and shammies I found that we all got seperate keys when allowed on one channel, but I could broadcast with either of their unique keys just fine.  the dream might be dead, guys.

we could go on the honor system, but i don't know how you guys would feel about that
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by Summoning Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:04 pm

So if I'm getting this right... when you use the unique stream key given to you, it streams to the group channel and lets you know which twitch account is streaming to it at the time? On obs you don't even login you just use stream keys to directly stream to channels, so unless the unique stream key from the group channel works differently than the one for your own channel it'd be like giving someone access to your account if you shared it. If someone was really worried about trying to sabotage the stream by sharing stream keys or account details they can already do that by just logging into one of our accounts, no? And since there is no way on livestream to even see who's streaming to the channel wouldn't the account at fault stay hidden? With this system (if I'm understanding correctly and it tells you who is streaming to the group channel) we'd at least know who is doing it, or at least who leaked their info.
Summoning
Summoning

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Chuggers wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:
I'm actually unsure of how this compares to livestream anymore, after some testing with josh and shammies I found that we all got seperate keys when allowed on one channel, but I could broadcast with either of their unique keys just fine.  the dream might be dead, guys.

we could go on the honor system, but i don't know how you guys would feel about that

Authorized Broadcasters:
Twitch allows you to invite other broadcasters or friends to stream on your channel, simply enter their e-mail, save and they'll be sent an e-mail with a unique stream key for your channel that they can use to broadcast (authorized broadcasters can be removed at any time).
source: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1607357-twitch-account-settings

You could technically share your key, but you could also easily lose your streaming privileges.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:03 pm

we could operate on a no-bullshit system, one strike and you're removed or something
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Why don't we just do what I suggested last year and have a page here with our own chatbox and the stream embedded, like the Portal page but dedicated to the stream. I can't remember why nobody thought it was good, or that it didn't fix the problems everyone complained about. It isn't like anybody comes from the livestream.com site, and having an embed chat on WRTL saves us from having to even visit livestream.com/wrtl, and if people are done giving the argument of switching because Twitch is more popular then I nominate this idea again.

Hell, we can even just make weridethelines.com/livstream as a redirect to there, why the hell not. For heavens sake, the Portal page already basically functions as this, just need a different chatbox to embed. We confirmed several years ago that even stream players embeded on another site count towards the viewers, so we're not losing anything there

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Fauxfyre wrote:Why don't we just do what I suggested last year and have a page here with our own chatbox and the stream embedded, like the Portal page but dedicated to the stream. I can't remember why nobody thought it was good, or that it didn't fix the problems everyone complained about. It isn't like anybody comes from the livestream.com site, and having an embed chat on WRTL saves us from having to even visit livestream.com/wrtl, and if people are done giving the argument of switching because Twitch is more popular then I nominate this idea again.
you can do the same embed with a twitch stream.

also, heres the list of things besides more popular streaming site:
- higher streaming quality
- better moderation
- anything at all is being done to the site to improve it constantly
- chat is non-flash, open to bots and drawing information from it
- emotes
- more channel customization options
- everyone who is allowed to stream isnt also allowed to mod chat
- not from the fookin' stone age

thats not even all i can think of, i can give another list if you want

Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:22 pm

It looks like people could share their stream keys but it would be a bad idea because it would get taken away if someone who wasn't supposed to be streaming was using it. Sounds pretty much all good on that front.
Fauxfyre wrote:Why don't we just do what I suggested last year and have a page here with our own chatbox and the stream embedded, like the Portal page but dedicated to the stream. I can't remember why nobody thought it was good, or that it didn't fix the problems everyone complained about. It isn't like anybody comes from the livestream.com site, and having an embed chat on WRTL saves us from having to even visit livestream.com/wrtl, and if people are done giving the argument of switching because Twitch is more popular then I nominate this idea again.

Hell, we can even just make weridethelines.com/livstream as a redirect to there, why the hell not. For heavens sake, the Portal page already basically functions as this, just need a different chatbox to embed. We confirmed several years ago that even stream players embeded on another site count towards the viewers, so we're not losing anything there
This really confuses me? Like, isn't this every page on this site? Do you not see the chat and stream off to the right?

If you're suggesting that we have a different chatbox, I looked into it but ended up rejecting the idea because it would require yet another registration/login/moderation system and it's already awfully messy with the two different systems (forumotion/livestream)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:46 pm

I was going to bring this up a long time ago but couldn't find the thread that I was arguing with Rabid and others about it with so I left it alone Hehe

TWITCH TWITCH TWITCH TWITCH
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:52 am

I looked into this today. This is called a twitch team as fas as I can tell, and you need to be partnered to create a twitch team.

Who can make a team?

Teams can only be created by a partnered streamer (no sub button required!).
https://twitchtips.com/twitch-teams/

To qualify as a Twitch Partner, we look for:

Average concurrent viewership of 500+ (not just a one-time peak)
Regular broadcast schedule of at least 3 times a week
http://www.twitch.tv/partner/signup

Nevermind, I missed the authorized broadcasters section
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:56 pm

There literally is no reason not to switch now, lol.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 pm

I'll get to it when I give a shit about this site again. That will probably require me to take a few days off.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Chuggs can you go ahead and start on this? I miss streaming, and Rabid has been offline for about 2 days.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next