We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Change Your Password

+6
Rafael
GhostY
Wolf_Spirit
efrazable
Cereal
Inukaza
10 posters

Go down

Change Your Password Empty Change Your Password

Post by Inukaza Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:43 pm

ACEdit: This was somewhat of a misunderstanding, so there's no need to change your password. See FlagCapper's post

Sup guise. Letting you know what you all need to change your passwords associated with your accounts. As it turns out that people on ELR can get ELR passwords of other people by playing around with the site. Cool, Huh? I've tested it out. It works. That being said, if you use the same password here as you do on ELR, change it. (Since you can't change your password on ELR)

kthx.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Change Your Password Empty Re: Change Your Password

Post by Cereal Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Good thing I don't use ELR anymore. :P
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't use the same one xD .
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Wow, ELR is quite secure 8D
Will do! *imitates Inu's avatar*
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GhostY Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 pm

k it are changed Very Happy

Last edited by GhostY on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GhostY
GhostY

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Could you PM me how that's done?
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:41 pm

No wonder I had my password for irtl changed by someone else. O.o
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Sheldon wrote:No wonder I had my password for irtl changed by someone else. O.o

I think that was rabid, actually. But, that was not me for a fact.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Commandercoke Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 pm

No, that most definitely was not rabid. Sheldon talked to rabid in the stream about it when it happened.
Thanks for the headsup though.
Commandercoke
Commandercoke
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Moved to Announcements.
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 pm

I have absolutely no idea what Inu is talking about -- I absolutely could be wrong but it seems like speculation to me.

Inu, please PM me what you're talking about so I can either dismiss this as false / confirm.

EDIT: What I find really strange is Inu is really active on ELR, he's posted nothing about this there, but goes straight to IRTL which has... how many ELR users? So this is kind of pissing me off because this thread is here on wrtl's announcements based on nothing more than Inu's word.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 am

FlagCapper wrote:I have absolutely no idea what Inu is talking about -- I absolutely could be wrong but it seems like speculation to me.

Inu, please PM me what you're talking about so I can either dismiss this as false / confirm.

EDIT: What I find really strange is Inu is really active on ELR, he's posted nothing about this there, but goes straight to IRTL which has... how many ELR users? So this is kind of pissing me off because this thread is here on wrtl's announcements based on nothing more than Inu's word.

Explained in a PM, sorry. It really does make sense once you think about it though. You can't change your password on ELR without you, so there is no point warning people who can't do anything about it. I went to IRTL, because this is the group most effective.

EDIT:

Okay. I'm killling myself over this. I was talking to Oam, who found the exploit, and he was like, LOL FC FIXED THAT MONTHS AGO. (He didn't say that exactly that way.) What was happening was that I've used the hack when I tested it, on Ghosty. (Which he knows, and he already changed it when I asked him too), though I wanted to cover my arse if someone IP checked me. >.>

I still recommend changing your passwords from your ELR one. It's not that hard for someone to possible get it another way.

Though, this is without FC's input. I don't know if it still works, this is just what oam told me.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Okay, so as Inu said, this was fixed a LONG time ago. Even when it was active, and like two people knew about it, you had to actually know someone's password in order to find which account it belongs to. So if someone's password was something like "linerider" or "password", then you could guess that and then you would have to manually search through all the accounts on ELR to see if the results you got matched a query you made (I'm being purposely vague here, but the point I'm trying to make is that if:

A. you had a reasonably strong password

OR

B. the attacker searched through the ~2000 accounts manually on ELR and didn't find you

you are safe). Now, that said, I shouldn't be even having holes like that in my site in the first place. The reality of it is is that ELR is the first website I ever made and it is actually very poorly coded and makes amateur mistakes as a result. And several months ago I patched a bunch of these along with this one, and have been trying to raise the quality of the site's code to "Not coded by a 13-year old" since then.

Also, Inu, if you know about or find something like this you should notify me, instead of waiting months and then going to scare everyone on a different website. Your argument for helping people on a different website because you can't change password on ELR is stupid, because anyone who uses ELR would have seen a post there and would know to change their password on all the websites where they use that password, and not everyone on ELR goes to IRTL. I could understand posting it on both for previously active ELR members, but posting it just on IRTL makes no sense whatsoever.

Either way, had you told me about this when it did work I would not have banned you, or will ever ban someone for disclosing a bug that makes the website safer. I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but next time, please just let me know, and FFS check to see it actually works instead of posting [censored] like this:

"As it turns out that people on ELR can get ELR passwords of other people by playing around with the site. Cool, Huh? I've tested it out. It works."

It looks really stupid when it turns out that it doesn't actually work, and it isn't actually a problem.

tl; dr -- Issue was fixed a long time ago (and it's very unlikely it was actually used to find your password), Inu decided to wait several months before going and warning everyone that posted on a different website.

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:05 pm

I understand that. Oppsie Dasie.

I didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't do it to it's fullest potential. There's nothing more I can really say other than,"My bad, opps".

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by FlagCapper Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Rainbow Dash wrote:I understand that. Oppsie Dasie.

I didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't do it to it's fullest potential. There's nothing more I can really say other than,"My bad, opps".
Nice half-apology. It's amazing how close you managed to put the words "I didn't do anything wrong" and "My bad".

FlagCapper
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:25 pm

FlagCapper wrote:
Rainbow Dash wrote:I understand that. Oppsie Dasie.

Nice half-apology. It's amazing how close you managed to put the words "I didn't do anything wrong" and "My bad".
I'm sorry.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Suspicious

Ok. Gonna close this. Thanks FC
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down