We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion

+12
Derpinator
Georgio_jc
aspi33
MartinJulenissen
TigerXLine
SPL4SHZ0N3
Commandercoke
Cereal
iPi
Kohuda
Nirobi
Purtle
16 posters

Go down

'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion Empty 'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion

Post by Purtle Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 pm

So, we all know (or should know) of Integration. It is a technique used in line rider.

Well, when it was initially used/feature [in Anomaly's track], it added a cool element to the video.
The integration was successful in adding entertainment because it caught you off guard, you could not tell(or at least not 100% of the time) when the following curve was going to 'integrate' or stay normal. The reason why this worked well in his track was because he had made similar curves/strange line formations before but kept LR on the same side using g-wells and whathaveyou. The changes/integration were not large curves that would be obvious to spot out. There wasn't even a huge amount of it in the track in total.

I have seen many instances in which 'integration' is used in a way that I don't believe is even integration, it's just switching directions at that point. For example:
Spoiler:
The left part is the exact same as the right, yet people would call the right part integration. I would MUCH rather people do what is drawn on the left rather than 'fake' integration on the right. It's blatantly obvious and almost makes it look worse(IMO) because it makes it seem like you are trying to attempt/make something look much more fancy/interesting than it actually is.

The whole point of integration (in my eyes) is to catch the viewer off guard. This will make the viewer more intrigued and want to watch, as well as it will add some nice little spice to the track in general.

Another example of integration, however, I would just call this bad integration rather than fake integration.
Spoiler:
Again, blatantly obvious. The arguement can definitely be made that this example and the one previous are just the same 'fake' or badness, but I would say this one is a bit better, if that makes sense.
Here is a picture that would be made for the people that would argue what I mentioned:

Spoiler:

It's not quite as obvious in the same way because it doesn't have some line jerking across that LR can clearly not ride on. Also, if it was a dense/compact track, and scenery lines/other lines were drawn that could make it seem like that bottom curve could be used for something later or hide it/etc in some other manner.
For example:
Spoiler:
EDIT: another reason why this type isn't as bad that I didn't remember at the time:
Cereal wrote:but on that one pic where it was a curve that was "obviously integration", it actually could have been a granual. Therefore, it is somewhat unexpected.

One more thing is that I am not a fan of long strands of integration (going back and forth >3 times [sort of like the first picture {didnt want to draw more than that because it would just take up more room than necessary}])

I could probably go into a bit more, but i'm tired and such but I think you get the point.

tl;dr integration that is obvious is not integration or crappy integration. Stealthy= better Look at pictures. Mumble Mumble *old guy yellin at youngin's*

Not trying to tell you how to play the game, just my opinion/thoughts on the use of integration.

one more thing
Spoiler:

Last edited by Purtle on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion Empty Re: 'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion

Post by Nirobi Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Gotta say, that final spoiler really drove your point home with force. It was almost overkill.
Nirobi
Nirobi

Back to top Go down

'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion Empty Re: 'Development' in Inegration - Purtle's Opinion

Post by Kohuda Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Good intergration = Good
Bad intergration = Bad

?

That's what you're trying to say?

EDIT: Nevermind, read it again and watched Tigerline7s vid. I still agree with the final point through.

Last edited by Kohuded on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kohuda
Kohuda

Back to top Go down

Post by iPi Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah, I saw that in Tigerlines tracks and was like :/

EDIT: I just tried doing this and am now really frustrated. Isn't using every line in a manual while connecting impossible? He would have to transfer a whole sled-length to use every line. It's probably just me sucking at LR as usual.

Last edited by iPi on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
iPi
iPi

Manualologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I completely agree, but on that one pic where it was a curve that was "obviously integration", it actually could have been a granual. Therefore, it is somewhat unexpected.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Cereal wrote:I completely agree, but on that one pic where it was a curve that was "obviously integration", it actually could have been a granual. Therefore, it is somewhat unexpected.

Forgot to mention this too. I remember there was another reason why I liked those better! (edits post)

iPi wrote:EDIT: I just tried doing this and am now really frustrated. Isn't using every line in a manual while connecting impossible? He would have to transfer a whole sled-length to use every line. It's probably just me sucking at LR as usual.

I'm not saying all the lines have to be blue/red. I don't believe I said he has to use every line in a manual as well.
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

Back to top Go down

Post by Commandercoke Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 am

Okay, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to find that first example of "integration" lame. Even if somebody doesn't even consider it integration upon making it, it still adds nothing to the entertainment value; just adds lameness. /My opinion
Good to see you contributing something good again PPT. Smile These are actually the kinds of threads I miss about old irtl.
Commandercoke
Commandercoke
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:56 am

Really good post. Interesting to read and kept my attention.
Bad integration is :facepalm:
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by iPi Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:17 am

Purtle wrote:I'm not saying all the lines have to be blue/red. I don't believe I said he has to use every line in a manual as well.
Your pic about the bad integration is what made me think you were saying you had to use each line. Also, I never said anything about lines having to be the same color Suspicious
iPi
iPi

Manualologist

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerXLine Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:56 am

I think that the integration is the next step in manualing. What else can you do in manualing? Quirking have way more opportunities :|

(+ repped for a good point and the Norbi-picture 8D)
TigerXLine
TigerXLine

I used to play Line Rider and be weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by MartinJulenissen Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:08 am

TigerLine7 wrote:I think that the integration is the next step in manualing. What else can you do in manualing? Quirking have way more opportunities :|

(+ repped for a good point and the Norbi-picture 8D)

i dont think i got this thread
MartinJulenissen
MartinJulenissen

Back to top Go down

Post by aspi33 Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:50 am

I agree with you, thanks for sharing opinion.
Yet, I find the 2nd example interesting. If you're really creative, you could go:
-Oh, where will he go?
-Ah, he chose the top and made a gra-/flanual
-Wait, huh, he went into the manual right on the top right corner, wut?

Or opposite. You can still fool people, and you can fool 'em as many times upon each other as you're creative.

Integration is definitely a part of Line Rider that still has lots of potential.
aspi33
aspi33
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/aspi333

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:15 am

People should learn recycling integrations, just like Summoning did epicly in has latest release. Another thing I'd love to see more often is to recycle a manual/granual as a granual/manual if you know what I mean...but that's just further integration stuff.

I agree with your wise words purtle Smile
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 am

Georgio_jc wrote:People should learn recycling integrations, just like Summoning did epicly in has latest release. Another thing I'd love to see more often is to recycle a manual/granual as a granual/manual if you know what I mean...but that's just further integration stuff.

I agree with your wise words purtle Smile
Redcap recycled XY integration :O
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:58 am

^we're talkin bout real integration dude..stay on topic Stern but Fair

Yea redcap did an awesome job thar Smile
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:59 am

Was the integration in strange beast not real D:???
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgio_jc Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:01 am

..I was just kiddin dude xD
Georgio_jc
Georgio_jc
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:27 pm

aspi33 wrote:I agree with you, thanks for sharing opinion.
Yet, I find the 2nd example interesting. If you're really creative, you could go:
-Oh, where will he go?
-Ah, he chose the top and made a gra-/flanual
-Wait, huh, he went into the manual right on the top right corner, wut?

Or opposite. You can still fool people, and you can fool 'em as many times upon each other as you're creative.

Integration is definitely a part of Line Rider that still has lots of potential.

The 2nd example is one which I think is very interesting as well. If it didn't have those extra linesin the x I drew to make it look like it could go anywhere, it would either have 2 options, which is plenty and you still have to guess(granual or integration). that is why I did not consider it as bad. It's even better if you have the other lines that I drew to make it even more surprising.

Thanks for comments from others.
I think that, not just integration, but the idea of making the viewer guess/surpising the viewer is extremely important and there is a lot of potential for that because there are so many ways to do it.

Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitsy Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Someone should now go make a track with loads of fake curves.
Smitsy
Smitsy

Back to top Go down

Post by aspi33 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am

Smit5y wrote:Someone should now go make a track with loads of fake curves.
You ever saw this?: WTB - Rek
Genuis track maker, simple, yet interesting concept. Outstanding track.
aspi33
aspi33
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/aspi333

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:30 pm

XY Integration is super easy without green lines :|

Just FYI
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Smitsy Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:34 pm

aspi33 wrote:
Smit5y wrote:Someone should now go make a track with loads of fake curves.
You ever saw this?: WTB - Rek
Genuis track maker, simple, yet interesting concept. Outstanding track.

Wow, never saw that/noticed the fake curves. I suck.
Smitsy
Smitsy

Back to top Go down

Post by baconat0r Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:59 pm

If you cant do Intregration,..
Dont do it?

I want to produce the best tracks I can. So I suggest working on your weak points and not putting them in your tracks and better yet post in the non conform zone for people to help you.

Yes I am working on my track tyvm.

IM just lurk mode here xD

baconat0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Yobanjojoe Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 am

what the [I am a potty mouth]

i dreamt about this before i had even seen it....
Yobanjojoe
Yobanjojoe

swag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down