We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole

4 posters

Go down

I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole Empty I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q97T_e9vsc (actual making starts at 8:45)

Anyone want to explain the rest of the process?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole Empty Re: I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole

Post by Chuggers Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 pm

ill try and explain as much as I can, most of the process is actually pretty simple to reproduce

1. Get bosh going diagonally, and make sure he's going fast enough to clear the previous frame (clearing the last frame isnt completely necessary, but it makes it a lot less annoying)
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole D2c69719c3

2. Go into the first iteration of the frame, and make enough x lines to smash him into flatness (should take usually 2 lines, sometimes 3) contact points are useful for this
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 95e3066152

3. Repeat the lines, but on the y axis, if you hold life lock, it should lock the line as soon as bosh reaches singularity
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole D2b85e5872

Depending on how fast Bosh is going, he'll either get caught in the lines next frame or fly through.  It's a bit more annoying to work if he gets caught, but it's not that big an issue.  At this point, you should check the next frame's momentum tick to see if Bosh survives or not (any orange lines means he falls off and can't be corrected that frame).  I don't have a sure-fire method to surviving if he does die, at least not any that I can explain through pictures alone :P.  The best I can tell you is to either try the next frame or even try using 45 degree lines in the same way, though singularities that way are a little more finicky.

4. Now we gotta crank it into the second iteration and make the wormhole part.  You need to make a well that grabs bosh and keeps him in singularity.  Sometimes this will be tricky, but after some practice you'll have a pretty good idea of what areas to place lines.
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 3c03e2e918

This is our first well, Bosh isn't visually on the line, but it works.  After this we need to place a second line in the same iteration, a little stronger than the last.  This is the line that needs to be super stacked.
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 02612a3c7a
We have our second line, and this is another good time to check the momentum frame for deaths.  If it looks like he won't survive, wiggle the line around with life lock until he does, or try changing the angle of the line.

5. time to stack.  As far as I know, LRA has the easiest bulk line-boosting, so it will be quicker to do this step in that.  Right click the second red line you made and change the multilines to 50.  Check the momentum frame and see if Bosh started moving in the direction of the red line.  If not, try angling it very little at a time and repeat the multilining until he starts moving in that direction.
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 733912a0ab
Now LRA has a cap on the amount of lines you can have multilined in one line, but there's an easy way to bypass it.  Use the line move tool and shift drag one line out of the stack of 50 (make sure you keep bosh's speed the same while doing this), then right click that line and oh baby! you can stack it to 50 again.  Repeat this as many times as needed, but be careful, right clicking stacked lines will usually cause your game to crash.

After a bit of stacking, you'll end up with this.
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 094148e530

Congrats! You've made the wormhole.  Now all that's left is to check the iterations in the next frame following the momentum tick and make bosh survive for the next frame.  This will take any where from 1-3 frames, sometimes you won't need to make anything for survival.

Here is the finished product with Bosh's path.
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 9da88b92bd

I hope this explains the process, if you have any questions, I'll try and answer them
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole Empty Re: I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:27 am

The only thing Chuggers didn't mention about making a wormhole is that to specifically teleport bosh in one frame, you have to make a singularity cannon like described here to make him travel the distance you want in one frame, and then "catch" bosh with another cannon. Does that make sense?
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 am

I'm familiar with all of this (we actually talk through 90% of it in the video) except this bit:
Chuggers wrote:check the next frame's momentum tick to see if Bosh survives or not (any orange lines means he falls off and can't be corrected that frame).  I don't have a sure-fire method to surviving if he does die, at least not any that I can explain through pictures alone :P.  The best I can tell you is to either try the next frame or even try using 45 degree lines in the same way, though singularities that way are a little more finicky.
Maybe I just have bad luck but I've now tried 3 different singularity attempts on different frames, with 45 degree lines, etc, and I always get orange lines in the following momentum tick. One time I managed to not get orange lines after just the xy lines but then got them after adding the angled accel lines before stacking, and moving the angled lines around seemed to not have any helpful effect. I haven't been able to get to the multiline stacking phase at all without getting an unsurvivable momentum tick. Do you know what causes Bosh's CP positions to vary so widely when coming out of a singularity?
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am

rabid squirrel wrote:Maybe I just have bad luck but I've now tried 3 different singularity attempts on different frames, with 45 degree lines, etc, and I always get orange lines in the following momentum tick. One time I managed to not get orange lines after just the xy lines but then got them after adding the angled accel lines before stacking, and moving the angled lines around seemed to not have any helpful effect. I haven't been able to get to the multiline stacking phase at all without getting an unsurvivable momentum tick. Do you know what causes Bosh's CP positions to vary so widely when coming out of a singularity?

Probably the easiest survival method to show through pictures alone would be this one, I add a barely-non xy red line to one or two of the axis of the singularity and stack them until Bosh survives.
45 degree one
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 66786b212a

x and y stabilizer
I half-learned how to make a singularity/wormhole 9ce94b23d4

What I do is find try to make the red line stabilizers grab the points that are causing problems in the momentum tick and accelerate them towards the direction to make Bosh survive, the usual culprits as I remember are foot, butt, and 2nd peg, try pushing them toward the center of bosh's mass or towards the natural bosh position.  I would suggest doing this before adding the cannon acceleration lines (if he isn't surviving at first), and then tweaking them to make bosh survive while making said cannon lines.

There's probably a reason as to why bosh is so randomly scattered after each singularity, but I don't really know why, maybe its the point's momentum vectors crossing through where the singularity happened from the frame before it
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Chuggers wrote:
There's probably a reason as to why bosh is so randomly scattered after each singularity, but I don't really know why, maybe its the point's momentum vectors crossing through where the singularity happened from the frame before it

I mean we're forcing bosh's points into a very unnatural position, the next frame is going to have insane recoil. Think of the momentum tick as outside of the normal frame, a representation of where bosh's points end up on the next frame before the velocity maths of each iteration.
I don't know how to explain to help, but singularities can be quite tricky and it can take some maneuvering of Bosh once he's in singularity for an iteration or two to get him to survive the momentum tick of the next frame. Trial and error was the method I used, now it's just good instinct...
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ride Liner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 am

If you look at the nose, string (upper nose), tail, feet, and hands on the momentum tick after a singularity, you'll see that all those points actually end up in the same position relative to each other as the frame before the singularity, but rotated 180 degrees. Only the butt, shoulder, and second peg are thrown out of position, often making the result appear rather jumbled as all of Bosh's sprites except the strings happen to be anchored to these three contact points.

Whenever these three contact points (and the hands, to a much lesser extent) collide with a line, they get an extra bit of velocity added in a direction that depends on both the angle of the line and the direction the contact point is traveling in. This "friction", as fsk called it, is usually the cause of death when attempting any trick that requires pulling every contact point (kramual cannons, singularities, large stacks). The magnitude of a friction vector is proportional to the distance that the contact point is pulled by the line, i.e. well strength.

So in general, the simplest way to increase his odds of surviving is to pull his contact points as little as possible while still maintaining the singularity. I have seen many cases where he survives the momentum tick until I add a line grabbing him on the second iteration. Using a small line very close to the point of the first iteration's singularity almost always works when this happens.

If he still dies, I'll usually just move the offending contact point back into place using a red multi-line stack that grabs it on the first iteration, before pulling him into the singularity. This might take some fishing around to find the right spot for the gravity well, but you can always erase/undo to look at his position at the start of iteration 1.

Ride Liner
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down