We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spaghetti by Anton

+4
ScrungleBlumpkus
OTDE
Sheldon
anton
8 posters

Go down

Spaghetti by Anton Empty Spaghetti by Anton

Post by anton Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Watch here

As for narrative, there is one. Kinda meta, but I don't want to spoil it, and I'd also love to hear your thoughts on it.

EDIT: My first and only scenery track

Last edited by Anton on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
anton
anton

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Spaghetti by Anton Empty Re: Spaghetti by Anton

Post by Sheldon Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Reminds me of a track I started once, this is of course executed way better than mine was and could have been. Entrancing stuff very nice.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:17 am

First glance: fun! Good at cultivating a particular aesthetic. Like the smoothness, the occasional change made it feel unpredictable and meant I wasn't just watching spaghetti for 2 minutes. Usually I'm not a fan of "random" stuff, but the track matches the title neatly.

Thoughts on metanarrative: I know this is made in direct response to the messiness of Braggadocio, since you dm'ed me saying exactly that. I'm not entirely sure what it conveys, though, beyond "this is the opposite of braggadocio." Towards the end, there are line breaks. These seem to suggest some kind of intentionality, since everything is so carefully placed at the start. Further—there's extensions of tangent lines and added perpendicular scenery lines, along with right angle indicators.

Looking up the song doesn't give me any relevant information—my guess is that is was picked to match the slowish vibe and that's about it.

If I had to guess what you were going for, I would say these were your points? Probably says more about me than you.
  • Building solid curves requires measurement and carefulness. Precision begets neatness and clean tracks.
  • It's easy to start out with a solid track that's consistent, but it can break down easily.
  • Sometimes things are placed in the track for no reason and there's no point in hunting for a story. Tracks don't always need narrative.

I have no idea if any of these are true. Real vague metanarrative. Some people will go hunting for it, but if you have to spell it out, maybe make it a little less vague? Kinda feel like I'm being baited, and the narrative is about how I as a critic respond to it, like some real John Cage, 4'33" shit, you know?

Interesting stuff. Wonder where you'll take this. Will do more in-depth when we get to QRing this sucker.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:43 am

OTDE wrote:ague? Kinda feel like I'm being baited, and the narrative is about how I as a critic respond to it, like some real John Cage, 4'33" shit, you know?

I can relate to this feel

I feel like this track may seem like it was designed from the start to follow certain rules that get broken later, but I dont find the style appropriate to match that concept.i feel like there were no rules from the start and that you went mostly off an aesthetic idea.

I also KNOW the ending part angle bisectors were ironic because this shit ain't measured off anything but the movement of Bosh's points:p

Finally got to see this released. feels good.
I get the same feeling from this track as I do opening uo, inspecting, and finally eating a long unopened piece of salt water taffy. 9.5/10 narrative is too meta Hehe
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:13 am

tapeworm but better
Lukking
Lukking

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:36 am

I think I'll have to clear up a few things, to prevent you guys feeling like som real john cage 4'33" shit (lol)
OTDE wrote:Thoughts on metanarrative: I know this is made in direct response to the messiness of Braggadocio, since you dm'ed me saying exactly that. I'm not entirely sure what it conveys, though, beyond "this is the opposite of braggadocio."
This project was started before Braggadocio, and isn't meant as a direct message to the messiness of Broggadocio. The concept stands on its own - which i'll get back to real quick. Also, when I say meta, I don't imply you guys are all a part of it. I say meta because the track knows what it is.

I think alot of people feel some of the same things I do when it comes to making and finishing large tracks, or specific concepts. After some reflection in the early days of making, I had the idea to make "concept track" the concept, but don't get too caught up in this. In retrospect there are plenty of things I could've done to better convey the concept, but I wanted to see what I could do using just line rider, green lines, and next to no context. But I guess it is really hard to isolate the important details and filter out the less important ones without.

The things that are important:
1. The track seems to follow a pretty straightforward concept: ride one continuous line
2. The track begins to slowly digress from the original concept, and the the concept allows increasingly more variation (0:29 , 0:37 , 0:41 , 0:45 , 0:59 - end)
3. Towards the end the concept falls apart and the viewer is given an insight to the behind the scenes (the "leftover" green lines and breaking of lines)
4. The last lines are not even curved
5. The stall is lazy af

anton
anton

cool

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:32 am

These all add up yup

I know what you mean by "concept track"
I made my contact juggling tracks in the same way, with the original intent as a concept track and then it taking on a deeper, more specified meaning on both of them
Just interesting to not the effects our own perspective on tracks have on them as we make them
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 am

Nice track. After reading the explanation I feel the concept too. It reminds me of my own process when making Jam.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawel3 Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Yo that's legit
Pawel3
Pawel3

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Thought about this track some more. It's good when a track does that.

I get that you're trying to make a meta narrative here, but part of me also just feels like an example of the "falling apart" rather than presenting any kind of cogent commentary on the idea.

I'm with you, I get what you're trying to do, but I also wanna see it communicated more clearly.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:41 pm

It was quite beautiful all the way through. I enjoyed it a lot.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 am

OTDE wrote:

I get that you're trying to make a meta narrative here, but part of me also just feels like an example of the "falling apart" rather than presenting any kind of cogent commentary on the idea.

Okay so how is he falling apart

otde wrote:
I'm with you, I get what you're trying to do, but I also wanna see it communicated more clearly.

Okay so how do you mean you would like people to communicate more clearly?

EDIT: To anyone who saw this post last night, remember what you will. The dream's a'comin'.
I'm interested in the narrative part, OTDE's got some good points to make

ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm

ScrungleBlumpkus wrote:EDIT: To anyone who saw this post last night, remember what you will. The dream's a'comin'.

I knew you didn't write that post sober xD
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Rafael wrote:
ScrungleBlumpkus wrote:EDIT: To anyone who saw this post last night, remember what you will. The dream's a'comin'.

I knew you didn't write that post sober xD

Hehe hey I make some good strong points that just weren't meant to be expressed then and there 8D
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down