We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driftwood ~rabid

+16
Purtle
Z_N-Freak
Commandercoke
Helios Pavonine
theacp127
Opal Rider
Sheldon
gaoyubao
efrazable
Apple
TCR
OTDE
Getthim
Chuggers
ACwazHere
rabid squirrel
20 posters

Go down

Driftwood ~rabid Empty Driftwood ~rabid

Post by rabid squirrel Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Highly recommend watching in fullscreen and not skipping the intro Smile

LINK
because I want you to watch it fullscreen on youtube that bad

Spoiler:

EDIT: The Making Of Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsbsQcq-4yw

Last edited by rabid squirrel on Sun May 17, 2015 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Driftwood ~rabid Empty Re: Driftwood ~rabid

Post by ACwazHere Fri May 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Omg. Dem boards.. *watches a second time*

That was an awesome video. Gonna step through it sequentially.

First off, I've never personally been very into long intros. I can think of a handful that I actually really liked. I thought this one was pretty neat though. It did a good job in setting a peaceful tone for the track. I think the slow, slow fade from black was really creative. Smile Now the first part. The colon. My first reaction was "holy shit this recording is so good." I can't remember the last time I saw such a smooth, pristine recording. I thought the diagonal shading inside the tubular thingy was awesome. The subtle cross-hatching on the walls was also pretty damn cool.

Then the boards. Dat music transition was totally perfect for the track transition. You really synced to the flow there. When he dipped down towards the shore at 2:24 I made a :o face IRL. Nothing gets me going like some thick, bodacious scenery. The black of the ocean was SICK. The "line of white" you left around the boards in that part was a really good call. The dots for the beach were done well. The fade from the sunset into the outro video was really creative. Smile

The only thing I didn't like was the length of thet rack. :P But I understand it would have taken a thousand years if it was any longer.

Awesome job rabid. :') I'm always super happy and excited for someone when they finish something that I know they dumped their life into. Congrats on finishing this sexy, sexy, tubular, boardular, sexy video. You're one of few people who can pull off >100 hours of work and make something special.
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Fri May 15, 2015 4:26 pm

if you had a shot of the sun over the ocean with two being exactly in position to the last bit of the track the editing would have been the GOAT

i really liked this, everything really worked as a whole

also im not sure how you did it, but this 40 second track felt like a great journey, i thought it was of perfect length
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim Fri May 15, 2015 4:30 pm

This is spectacular and extraordinary, i am glad to see a track release by yours truly and glad i could help with the first 3 secs.
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Fri May 15, 2015 4:58 pm

I love this track so much, and here's why!

This track is fantastic at establishing atmosphere. Very few tracks are able to do this effectively-- they either fail at maintaining a consistent feel, or end up being too consistent (Ideology and Marmalade Scened, respectively). These mistakes are averted, subverted, and deconstructed to the Nth degree. In driftwood, you've established two contrasting styles, but unlike Ingenuity, where it felt almost out of place, the styles are thematically structured so that the underlying feel of the track is preserved. In this way, the track can have a consistent pathos without verging on complacency and blandness.

Now, in terms of the video, I don't actually think it's too long, but I do think there are some aspects of the video that could have been changed to perhaps better reflect the mood created by the song. The song is full of dark and warm tone colors. If the footage had perhaps a wamrmer palette, this would help.

This track was an experience, and every bit as awesome as I was hoping it would be. Kudos, Rabid, kudos.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by TCR Fri May 15, 2015 5:51 pm

First video on ages that is not highspeed or Stop'n' Go.
The scenery was sweet, but the intro could've been much longer. Rolling Eyes
TCR
TCR

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Fri May 15, 2015 6:20 pm

I really liked that. The boards made it look like it was going to be incredibly bumpy, so it was a pleasant surprise to see it be super smooth, like, every 5 seconds of the track. Very cool track.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

If there are any people who have mixed or negative feelings about this track hiding in the woodwork, please feel free to come out and shit all over my track Very Happy Promise I won't hate on ya for stating an opinion (though as much elaboration as possible is always desired).

Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Fri May 15, 2015 10:20 pm

The best compliment I can give to any track is that it's an original concept, and you got that all over this track! Very Happy
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Fri May 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Love your style, it's so clear. How are those manuals blue and SO SMOOTH? it's redekulous. Glad to be an inspiration.

But is that a sunrise or a sunset?
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Fri May 15, 2015 11:22 pm

one of those manuals doesnt even make sense,
also had the weirdest b0ner from the intro
wait just kidding fairly natural boner :|

Last edited by Sheldon on Sat May 16, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Fri May 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Did you tell Katie that the film shoot was for a line rider project? She seems like a total keeper.

On the subject of the track: I'm a total sucker for abstract styles, so it sort of fit that the first part stuck out to me the most. The cross-hatching just really worked to make it pop, and even with how successful the sync was into the boards section, I was sad to see that particular design go for more tangible objects. The monument did make up for it though, and for being such a large area in that scene, it didn't feel like we were missing out on something before you zoomed out to show the larger picture, and felt very coherent for only showing a small portion at a time.

All in all, great job with this! It worked out great.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Your welcome  8D
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 am

Holy cow I love the music so much, it fits everything so well Smile At first I thought the track was too short, but then I realized you tried to show a concept or theme rather than a standalone scenery track... postmodernism, anyone? xP Solid work Rabid, well done!
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Commandercoke Sun May 17, 2015 12:41 am

Congrats on finishing another successful project rabid! The sand beach turned out great, and you did a great job maintaining a sense of consistency.

However, like I feared, I think your attention to minor details (that really don't matter to an audience) held you back. You spent more time perfecting boards and sand than developing a solid idea. While being clean and clear, there's really not a sense of uniqueness in this track. Additionally, I personally didn't feel a sense of adventure in this track, which is unfortunate because I think you succeeded to do that in tracks like BTTW and Archaeology. Perhaps the length is to blame. I'm sure you and I will continue to discuss all of this in the near future, so I'm not going to dwell on it.

Regardless of my criticism, I'm truly thrilled that you stayed interested in this project. I just know you could have pushed it a little further. The boards and beach are well done, you obviously put a lot of effort into detail, and the track itself was good for what it needed to be. What's your next project?!? Very Happy
Commandercoke
Commandercoke
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun May 17, 2015 4:13 am

First, I made a Making Of Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mje0mIzk2Vw
feel free to watch Very Happy
EDIT: fixed the link

And now for responding to comments, round 2!
Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 am

I really liked the intro (hard not to; beautiful lass walking on the beach at sunrise...). I also liked the feeling you set with it and how it nicely fitted the track. The only problem I have with it, is that it ended so quickly. This setting really make me want to be in some sort of trance, watching Bosh glide through a world of amazingness for a much longer time (though I understand that track would take a lifetime to make, haha). And everything does look really amazing, that beach especially, those grains of sand, my goodness. Like Commandercoke said though, I think you might have spend too much time on the tiniest details, considering that everything swoops by quite fast. I don't think the viewer really gets to appreciate the amount of effort that went into everything and I really had to pause the track a few times to admire the perfectionism. For the ending it was really visible, as we got to see part of the track in standstill while Bosh was stalled.
The fading of the track into the real world could maybe have been done better (I'm not sure, as I have no experience at filming whatsoever), as it didn't match completely. It was still an amazing transition though and I happily admired the beautiful sunset as well as watching Katie walk along the beach.

Kudo's for finishing this and I'm sure I'll be watching this again, for it is really different from any regular Line Rider track, because it creates this serene atmosphere. I can imagine watching this before going to sleep Very Happy
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I like how certain parts synced with the song, and the boards section reminded me of Dapoe, but even better!

I know there have been mixed reviews on the intro, personally I was not a fan. Seeing the length of the video and while the intro was going it made me expect a more grandiose track in terms of length. The track was still great but I think the intro was too long for the track length. I don't think 4 or 5 shots of your lady walking on the beach was necessary. 1 or 2 would have been more reasonable IMO.

Nevertheless it was great to see a new track from you!
Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Thu May 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Oh my god I love so much about this track.

The track itself was super smooth and fit the vibe of the song and scenery perfectly. Manuals were extremely well done, especially that big tail halfpipe thing at the end. I literally can't think of a word to describe this track, scened or otherwise, other than "smooth," and that's a huge plus.

The scenery was amazing on so many different levels. It was simplistic and didn't try to do too much, but what it did do was excellently and tastefully executed. Like, you could've drawn a huge ship or something out of the boards, but instead you chose to make the boards as high-quality as possible, and it definitely paid off. Even the monument had this fresh quality of looking simple but still beautiful. I can kinda explain this by relating it to performing music: the best performances are those that require a lot of work on the performer's part but that look effortless to the audience. Of course, this doesn't mean you were lazy with your work here, because you certainly weren't; it just looks like you were having fun and that you were comfortable within your signature style, and your choice to pursue that paid off big-time.

Overall, huge props on this one; you're a true artist in the medium of Line Rider.
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf_Spirit Mon May 25, 2015 7:21 am

#late
That was a really, really impressive track, and that doesn't even take into account the amount of lag you suffered near the end!
The whole track showed many signs of you being a perfectionist, like the start part was practically flawless, all the shading the the right places and I don't think anyone else would take on the task of drawing all those pieces of wood, seriously, well done with all that!
However, I feel that the first section lacked a little, showing the white space in the background sort of took a bit away from it, this is only because of the lines within the section if that makes sense...But anyway, still looked good.

The wooded section was unbelievable, when it showed all the sand and the black sea, it was really breathtaking, everything came together so well and made an amazing effect ^^
The clouds were sort of varied in how they looked, some were perfectly fitting into the scene, some sort of looked wood-y, which of course was because of the lag and everything, can't really give too much criticism for that, hahaha!
Also, just have to say that it was fucking genius the way you made curves from the wood eventhough they were straight lines. Like, varying the thickness of line, really well thought-out!

Overall, a really amazing track, the scene right at the end looks just beautiful.

The whole thing really gives off a sort of 'rabid' vibe:p Like 'I need this to be done and it has to be done in this way.' Which is both good and bad, well not bad, but anyway:
Like it shows the determination to finish it and take nothing less than perfection, the wood, sea and sand really do show this. But it also shows how you had this specific vision and didn't really stay from it, I might be wrong but it seems like that. As in, there weren't any additions other than the wood, sea, sand, clouds and sunset. Maybe it would have added more to have extra things like creatures, rocks, etc. But obviously it was your track, your vision and that's how it was done.

I doubt anyone else could create this sort of effect in a scened track. It was amazing!
Wolf_Spirit
Wolf_Spirit

Retired Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LineRiderGjert Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 am

^#evenlater

I love this! The scenery style screams "Rabid made this!!!", yet it's totally different from anything I've seen from you thus far. The track as a whole feels really cohesive, even though it had two completely different parts. And the mere size of the ending is beautiful. The fact that you kept seeing parts of the "ending monument" (it's more like an ending scene), without being able to see the whole thing (because of the zoom-level), made for an amazing build up of suspense!

The sun's reflection was executed perfectly, I absolutely loved it. Also, I don't know how many "sand-scenes" there has been in Line Rider, but this one is definitely the best. The gradual change in spacing between the dots made for a beautiful effect.

Like CC said, BTTW feels much more like an adventure to me. However, I don't think that takes anything away from this. This track feels more like a work of art, like a majestic painting. Beautiful is the word that comes to mind. You've done an amazing job, Rabid! Very Happy
LineRiderGjert
LineRiderGjert
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 pm

responding to comments round 3!
Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Wed May 27, 2015 11:17 pm

love your style of scecnery; definitely enjoyed this. Also, that last taily was smooooooth. Very Happy
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down