We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournament of Legends discussion thread

+10
SPL4SHZ0N3
ScrungleBlumpkus
Sheldon
Fauxfyre
Getthim
rabid squirrel
OTDE
efrazable
SethComposerGuy
Rafael
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tournament of Legends discussion thread Empty Tournament of Legends discussion thread

Post by Rafael Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Tournament of Legends

It's been quite a while since the last Tournament of Champions (almost 3 years), and a lot of awesome tracks have been released. Thing is, the tracks are made by relatively few players. Since normally every player is allowed to enter one track, there will be relatively few entries. We'd never get to 64 entries, that's a fact. This wouldn't be worth it, if you ask me.

So here's the deal. What if we make a ToC: All Time edition? Tournament of Legends. Basically, anyone would be allowed to enter any track, even tracks used in earlier tracks. Collabs would be included as well. This would definitely mean a whole lot of entries, so my proposal for doing this is as follows:

• Every player can enter 3 tracks they made or did a part in.
  • Anyone is allowed to enter 5 tracks made by other people. These tracks have to have been featured and/or appear in the Exceptional Movies list.
  • Staff and/or LRL's are allowed to decline entries after the entry deadline to get an acceptable amount of entries.
  • Maximum of 128 entries.
  • The ToC entry deadline will be Wednesday the 16th of December (just before Christmas break, a few days earlier in case preparations go wrong).
  • Everything will be done like any other ToC, including calculations of results. Maybe it's a good idea to put on two polls every day (at least in the earlier rounds), so, it won't take months. This depends on the amount of volunteers as well.

What needs to happen to actually make this happen

• I need volunteers to help organize this!. Basically, volunteering means putting up polls and calculating results. It's not much work, all I need is ensurance you'll be available on certain days. Don't be shy! Your help is needed! Just post you want to be volunteer here.
  • When I have a good list, I can make a provisional schedule for this. Nothing is final, but it's so we have an idea of what happens.
  • PROMOTION! One big reason not to do this would be having too little voters to get a valid result. We'd need to start working on the Facebook page, e-mail people to ask if they would be down, and promote the event on our youtube channels (not now though, I suggest the start of December and a day advance)

I'm not sure if I covered everything so feel free to post any additions to this.
Also feel free to come up with alternative methods to get this done.

Volunteers (4)

• Rafael
  • OffTheDeepEnd
  • Getthim
  • rabid squirrel

Want to volunteer?

• If you sign up, I'll assume you'll be available during the period of 12-16-2015- 01-16-2015, Christmas and New Years excluded. If there are days you aren't available, please say so in advance.
  • I'd also like to know for how many days you'd be willing to help at most. I'll try to decide the days equally. If you want to do more, please say so! The more help, the better!

Last edited by Rafael on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 11 times in total
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Tournament of Legends discussion thread Empty Re: Tournament of Legends discussion thread

Post by SethComposerGuy Sun May 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Yes. I am totally down for another toc. However, let's not allow any track that originally placed in the top 3 of the previous competitions to enter in the toc5 (but all others, if accepted, would be fair game). Then after we find the winners for toc5, we could then put all the winning tracks together for one last competition to find today's favorite track in linerider history.
SethComposerGuy
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Tournament of Legends discussion thread Empty Re: Tournament of Legends discussion thread

Post by efrazable Sun May 10, 2015 2:27 pm

SethComposerGuy wrote:Yes. I am totally down for another toc. However, let's not allow any track that originally placed in the top 3 of the previous competitions to enter in the toc5 (but all others, if accepted, would be fair game). Then after we find the winners for toc5, we could then put all the winning tracks together for one last competition to find today's favorite track in linerider history.
i'd like to suggest, rather than top 3, we use top 8 tracks from each ToC for the final competition. Mostly because Transcendental was only top 8.

But I think a regular ToC5 would be fine, with a final poll of the top 8 of each ToC being in a second, ultimate tournament of 40 tracks total. Thoughts?

Also what would it be called? I'd vote for ToL, or Tournament of Legends!
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 pm

I don't think it's particularly fair to have older tracks competing against newer ones. In light of this, here's an idea!

Line rider will be 10 years old next year. What if we had 10 separate mini-tournaments, held one right after the other, starting in 2006? Then, once the winners of each are decided, we build a showcase for each year (in video form, I am willing to do this) with commentary from different perspectives on first, second, and third place for each year. People would be able to enter, say, up to two tracks per year for themselves and suggest tracks for others. thoughts?
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Sun May 10, 2015 2:41 pm

A couple other concerns:

1. We would be pitting collabs against solo tracks, and I don't know if anyone would be able to beat Incito Scaena or EoLR.
2. I think an appeal of the tournament being segmented by time periods gives players a reassurance that they won't get beat due to nostalgia or stuff like "well THIS track did this before THIS track".
3. The ToC tells us what track is the best representation of the pinnacle of the current state of Line Rider. It wouldn't really be well suited for an entry from ToC3 to represent our era.

These three points are why I think there should be two separate tournaments, with ToC5 being held before the grand ToC.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun May 10, 2015 3:16 pm

SethComposerGuy wrote:Yes. I am totally down for another toc. However, let's not allow any track that originally placed in the top 3 of the previous competitions to enter in the toc5 (but all others, if accepted, would be fair game). Then after we find the winners for toc5, we could then put all the winning tracks together for one last competition to find today's favorite track in linerider history.
Glad to hear! Can I write you down a volunteer?
I think that idea would give a very unfair advantage to top 3 tracks. Maybe tracks that were 4th or lower in the competition are regarded as better than back then and vice versa.

efrazable wrote:
i'd like to suggest, rather than top 3, we use top 8 tracks from each ToC for the final competition. Mostly because Transcendental was only top 8.

But I think a regular ToC5 would be fine, with a final poll of the top 8 of each ToC being in a second, ultimate tournament of 40 tracks total. Thoughts?

Also what would it be called? I'd vote for ToL, or Tournament of Legends!
I'm not for this myself, for reasons described above. Opinions change over the years and some tracks might be looked at differently nowadays.  This is why I think it's a good idea to not let earlier results, but other peoples' opinions on tracks decide which tracks will be entered. This is why I'm for letting people enter other peoples' tracks. If enough people really want a track to be entered, it will be entered. This made me think it's a good idea to make people enter 5 tracks of others' though, updated OP.

OTDE wrote:I don't think it's particularly fair to have older tracks competing against newer ones. In light of this, here's an idea!

Line rider will be 10 years old next year. What if we had 10 separate mini-tournaments, held one right after the other, starting in 2006? Then, once the winners of each are decided, we build a showcase for each year (in video form, I am willing to do this) with commentary from different perspectives on first, second, and third place for each year. People would be able to enter, say, up to two tracks per year for themselves and suggest tracks for others. thoughts?
This idea I like! This is going to be a LOT more hassle though, and I'm curious we can execute this. Another thing that crosses my mind is that ToC used to be done yearly (or every two years), which would result in similar results as back then.

efrazable wrote:A couple other concerns:

1. We would be pitting collabs against solo tracks, and I don't know if anyone would be able to beat Incito Scaena or EoLR.
2. I think an appeal of the tournament being segmented by time periods gives players a reassurance that they won't get beat due to nostalgia or stuff like "well THIS track did this before THIS track".
3. The ToC tells us what track is the best representation of the pinnacle of the current state of Line Rider. It wouldn't really be well suited for an entry from ToC3 to represent our era.

These three points are why I think there should be two separate tournaments, with ToC5 being held before the grand ToC.
1. Disagreed, I'm pretty sure there are tracks able to beat those two.  And if not, maybe those tracks would deserve their prize Wink
2. I do like this idea, but it is hard to execute as said above. Also, I think the nostalgia thing isn't necessarily bad!
3. Maybe give this competition another name then? I like Tournament of Legends!

My thoughts after these replies:
- I do think it's a good idea to do a "track of the year" competition, but not for this one.
- I actually am very interested to see the results of a Best track of All Time competition INCLUDING factors as nostalgia, influence at the time, etc. Everybody has their own opinion and bases it on different factors, which is fine. If we get a lot of voters, the results will be valid.

Thanks for the quick replies and thoughts guys, much appreciated! Keep adding your 2 cents
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Mon May 11, 2015 9:29 am

Well, regardless of whether we can do the tournaments or not, I'd like to do the decade videos on 3 tracks/year! Smile
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Rafael wrote:Anyone is allowed to enter 3 tracks made by other people. These tracks have to have been featured and/or appear in the Exceptional Movies list.
Why do they have to be on the list? And why is this limited to three?

I got next to nobody submitting tracks that others had made for ToC3, ToCC2 and ToC4 even though I asked and there was no limit to how many tracks by others you could enter, which meant I basically ended up picking out about 30% of the entries myself. If you recall, we even had polls "which track should [person x] enter?"

Also, the chief concern for ToC5 isn't lack of tracks, it's lack of voters. We have about 20 people who might actually vote all the way through the contest. Not enough for it to really feel like a tournament IMO. I know you are optimistic about spreading the word, but I'd be surprised if we have more than 30 consistent voters even if word does get out there. We had about 40 in ToC4 and that was getting close to the "too low" mark.

Aaaand finally, starting it in January is probably a bad idea as that is usually our lowest point of activity through the year (this year was the exception due to the marathon boosting activity) - highest point is typically August which is why I liked to have the ToCs run June-August.

That said, I'd be willing to help in whatever capacity you'd like me to.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Mon May 11, 2015 4:58 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
Rafael wrote:Anyone is allowed to enter 3 tracks made by other people. These tracks have to have been featured and/or appear in the Exceptional Movies list.
Why do they have to be on the list? And why is this limited to three?

I got next to nobody submitting tracks that others had made for ToC3, ToCC2 and ToC4 even though I asked and there was no limit to how many tracks by others you could enter, which meant I basically ended up picking out about 30% of the entries myself. If you recall, we even had polls "which track should [person x] enter?"

Also, the chief concern for ToC5 isn't lack of tracks, it's lack of voters. We have about 20 people who might actually vote all the way through the contest. Not enough for it to really feel like a tournament IMO. I know you are optimistic about spreading the word, but I'd be surprised if we have more than 30 consistent voters even if word does get out there. We had about 40 in ToC4 and that was getting close to the "too low" mark.

Aaaand finally, starting it in January is probably a bad idea as that is usually our lowest point of activity through the year (this year was the exception due to the marathon boosting activity) - highest point is typically August which is why I liked to have the ToCs run June-August.

That said, I'd be willing to help in whatever capacity you'd like me to.
1. My thought was that in the end, there'll be some kind of Top 100 tracks of all time ranking. This ranking would be less valid if any track could be entered. The limit was for the same reasons but you have a good point. I assumed everyone would enter tracks but maybe it's a good idea to have no limit at all :P
2. I think a big reason for this to catch on is that pretty much any player ever will automatically participate in this tournament, thus making it relevant for them. The biggest challenge is getting all those players to be aware of the tournament itself though.
3. Hm, maybe. I didn't want to do it this summer because I wanted people to be able to make a track for this. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? Planning this a year in advance may be too much.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm

I'd like to remind Getthim and OTDE that they volunteered to help. Is this still the case? If so, I'll make a schedule for the polls and include you (and rabid). Please tell me the dates you can't put up a poll if you have any.

Any additional volunteers are also more than welcome!
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:49 pm

i'll do my best, free from this sunday onwards, christmas eve, day and boxing may be tricky otherwise, i should be available most the time
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Here's a guess for all 1st round eliminations:
Poll #1
Path of Light by Z_N-Freak and FlagCapper
Mojo by Anomaly76
The Book of Revelation by Nirobi and Devray

Poll #2
Retroceso by Z_N-Freak
Nocturna by Nirobi
Sahasrara by PainLobster

Poll #3
Fritz by SethComposerGuy
Majesty and Grace by chaomocha
ChooChoo by eachare

Poll #4
The Remix Session 2 Scened by RovanO and CommanderCoke
Forbidden by Kramwood
Unorthadox by Cephyric

Poll #5
Retrograde by Sheldon
Colossus by KCBM, Valent19 and LineBenji
Omega by Ktk

Poll #6
Integration by anomaly76
KING by Z_N-Freak
Origin by Lukking

Poll #7
Brouillard by Orthuss
Rek by WTB
Secrets and Lies by WCC OR Mountain Technology 3 by Wizzy (depends if everyone in the WCC collab votes for themselves or not)

Poll #8 (hardest poll of Round 1)
Serein by SPL4SHZ0N3
Centrifugal Force 2 by Sheldon
Cosmic Underworld by samthepoor

Poll #9
Blue Squirk by IGotGreasyBalls
Freedom of Choice by Getthim and Dapianokid
Coalesce by Orthuss & Dapianokid

Poll #10
Pendulum by anomaly76
Phoenix by IoneRendar
Dark Matter by Snooze

Poll #11
Quadrillennium by mrtacoline
High Pitch by MartinJulenissen
Abandon 2 by Opal Rider OR Trace by 1473 (I personally prefer Trace but I think I like it more than others)

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:32 am

delete this

Last edited by Sheldon on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:43 am

What is with everybody and hatin' on Forbidden?
It's literally Joy of Motion 2, that was the original name of it you guys.

just curious <3

Also yeah that 8th poll is a killer
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 am

I will cry if dark matter and cosmic underworld get eliminated in the first round Sad
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Well no reason for me to stick around much longer, all my tracks look like they're getting eliminated round 1. We'll see if I have enough interest to keep voting anyways.

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:56 pm

well, sorry to hear that, Shot. Wink
I'm probably in the same boat, but I'm sticking around! Very Happy
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:43 am

Dapianokid wrote:well, sorry to hear that, Shot. Wink
I'm probably in the same boat, but I'm sticking around! Very Happy
Nope, forgot the last few rounds only eliminate 2, I guess I'm lucky

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Fauxfyre wrote:Why did you just like, take the top 50/60 instead, if you were just going to do this? Round 2 will be kinda predictable up like this save the last few polls maybe....
Only the best tracks should make it through to round 3, and to ensure that this will happen the tracks that got earned a lot of points in round 1 will be put up against the tracks that earned little points. This way it is prevented that great tracks are randomly eliminated prematurely due to unlucky seeding.

Also, is there anyone who'd be up for making a promo video for ToL we can all put on YouTube?
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Shotoku is right, this is not the best way to do this. Redoing this rn.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Missed almost all of round 2 due to moving. The tracks I wanted to win the most are eliminated, as well as my own. Oh well. I always knew I had a different taste in tracks, but still interested to see what ends up on top.

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I just want to say I am floored by how much people still liked Archaeology. I never dreamed it would do this well.

I am beyond floored (mostly just disbelief) at how well Bolted is doing. I started the track in January 2007 a few days after starting playing Line Rider, before I had even made my first nose manual, (and it was definitely not planned to be a big project at the time) so this is just surreal for me.

One more thing
Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by SethComposerGuy Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:37 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:I am beyond floored (mostly just disbelief) at how well Bolted is doing. I started the track in January 2007 a few days after starting playing Line Rider, before I had even made my first nose manual, (and it was definitely not planned to be a big project at the time) so this is just surreal for me.

heh, some tracks age better than others. Bolted is one of those that aged like a fine wine.
SethComposerGuy
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:31 pm

I see 32 people online in the past 24 hours, yet polls have a maximum of 20 votes. Why are so many people not voting? It's crucial if we want ToL to mean something, so please vote everybody!

Second, who has a lot of LR-Facebook friends? It'd be awesome if they could post a link to the tournament on our facebook page once round 4 starts (you only get a notification if a friend of yours posts on it).
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:55 pm

I would just like to point out that 1/8 tracks in round 4 will feature Sheldon, if not more if I'm forgetting to count some collabs

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next