We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wot

+21
Yobanjojoe
Inukaza
Opal Rider
efrazable
theacp127
RyderLR
ACwazHere
Rafael
Fauxfyre
iPi
Lukking
Wolf_Spirit
gaoyubao
roflmaoqwerty
Chuggers
Helios Pavonine
SethComposerGuy
Getthim
ScrungleBlumpkus
[senpai] kevans
Conundrumer
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

wot - Page 2 Empty Re: wot

Post by WTB Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Conundrumer wrote:
This would literally be the last track I would show :|

Funny enough, I actually showed this to like 6 or 7 of my friends, and they all found it hilariously awesome.

WTB
WTB

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:03 pm

WTB wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:
This would literally be the last track I would show :|

Funny enough, I actually showed this to like 6 or 7 of my friends, and they all found it hilariously awesome.

Oh I meant to say that, as an introduction to Line Rider, this track is not at all representative of what to expect from Line Rider tracks. But even without context, it's still enjoyable to watch. I shared it on Facebook and it has received 10 likes (8 from nonplayers) so far :O

Last edited by Conundrumer on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:30 pm

This track is SO GOOD. Making the music to fit the track really paid off beautifully (I was skeptical that this would be any good when you sent me the .sol haha)

The no-rotation loop was surprisingly not the highlight of the track at all. Might have been because of the zoom level, but I think it was because it was just totally overshadowed by the awesome music syncing. I wonder if we would even see it was there if it hadn't been in the hype contest :P

I think my favorite part is 0:45-0:49, it made me crack up xD The music/track were like "now let's get all intens- NOPE LOL JK"

Now let's talk about how this was started in 2008. On the one hand, you can tell that the start is like, not as good. And it doesn't really get entertaining until the kramuals. However, if it had started there it wouldn't have been as jarring or funny - the contrast is really set up nicely. And so I think because this track is supposed to be one giant non sequitur, it actually works to have the start so old.

Okay, kramual usage. I think this is like... hands down the best kramual usage of all time. Think about early criticism of kramuals - they kill the flow, they're too sudden, his movement stops completely. This track is the first one I've seen where that is actually used to its advantage - as opposed to popping in and out of one really quick. Bosh totally stops, and when you sync the music to it it really works - and there's nothing that could work for this besides a kramual, and that is why I think it's the best kramual usage thus far - because it's not possible to imagine the track without them. (this was also true of phunner and phinite, but phinite was mostly and inside joke, and phunner's kramual is fun because it reverses his direction, not because it stops him.)

But the biggest thing I love about the track is its accessibility. Most anyone will find this quite entertaining, even if they don't really understand what is going on in the quirky sections. The part where the kramual is slowly accelerating with all the "wot"s is entertaining even if you've never played line rider. And furthermore, it's clear that it didn't really take a huge amount of time on your part - you just had a really awesome idea and went and did it. It's pretty easy to watch this and see how we could totally do all this stuff without hundreds of hours of work or insane artistic talent. Except that making the music doesn't sound like it was terribly easy. But it's pretty clear after watching this that music syncing goes beyond making a track line up with a song - you've shown us that when there's a true synthesis between track and audio the results are pretty damn awesome.

And finally, bold choice having zero editing - just recording and music. But it really works. Can't say that I was wishing there were titles or credits there sicne the title is in the track and the track is pretty self explanatory. You made it and you made the music. Any wise words about why there's no editing to speak of?

In summary, crazy good track. I'm hoping this sparks some more creativity in the way we go about making tracks and with what is considered good trackmaking. Even if it doesn't though, this stands on its own pretty damn well.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Thank you for your review, Rabid. I probably should have had the first half zoomed in more to make the alt quirk and manuals more appreciable.

rabid squirrel wrote:And finally, bold choice having zero editing - just recording and music. But it really works. Can't say that I was wishing there were titles or credits there sicne the title is in the track and the track is pretty self explanatory. You made it and you made the music. Any wise words about why there's no editing to speak of?

The introductions I've made in previous tracks was to either show off my cool name introduction or to fill in the space of the music intro. I've always felt introductions (especially long ones) add a lot of drama through the anticipation of "I'm not even going to show you the track yet, that's how awesome it is!", and for the uninitiated, maybe an unnecessary amount of drama. Remember that this is just a penguin dude on a sled, and the change from shiny video effects to a white void with only black lines can be jarring for those who aren't used to it. As for why I didn't even have a short introduction, I didn't want to add any drama, I didn't want to set any expectations, I didn't make an intro for the music, and, as you said, the track is self-explanatory.

The ending is intentionally abrupt to give it the effect of "What just happened?"

Finally, with LineOnline on the horizon, where the playback of tracks are (or could be, we can debate this later) as-is with no external video editing, I want to see more tracks experimenting with no-edit and being self-explanatory, like titles drawn in the track and beginning monuments to fill the space of the introduction.

Here's another track that you may recognize and enjoy with no intro Wink : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcu8ZdJ2dQo (interestingly the title is at the end)
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:15 pm

addendum. IRL friend responded to this track with this image:

Spoiler:
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:47 am

So I didnt read the comments before I watched this, and I don't know why, but I was feeling like this was going to be another disappointment from a returning legend. You know I was so wrong. 8D

That was dope, brother.

Question though: Where do you get your drums from, or are they all samples (other than that dnb drum break, of course)?

Also thanks for mentioning the producer thread, I gotta put something in there.
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:07 pm

How did you retain 40fps on youtube? I can't get anything but 30 and 60 when I upload.
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Chuggers wrote:How did you retain 40fps on youtube?  I can't get anything but 30 and 60 when I upload.
Just upload a 40fps video. I made a 40fps test video and it worked fine.
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum