We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sylveon - Kevansevans

+9
theacp127
Rafael
Summoning
[senpai] kevans
ScrungleBlumpkus
rabid squirrel
Orthuss
Chuggers
gaoyubao
13 posters

Go down

Sylveon - Kevansevans Empty Sylveon - Kevansevans

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:32 am

With much excitement, I present:

Sylveon

Synopsis:

Sol (track only works on windows, sorry Sad ): https://www.dropbox.com/s/065dg1linh4lx6i/sylveon.sol?dl=0

Last edited by [senpai] kevans on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Sylveon - Kevansevans Empty Re: Sylveon - Kevansevans

Post by RyderLR Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 am

dat xy. my favorite part! was great!
RyderLR
RyderLR

https://www.youtube.com/ryderofthelines

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am

I love how the flatsled parts weren't completely flatsled. Also, the flings are the kind of flings I would hang out with. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I feel it.
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:52 am

first of all, wow 60fps made a huge difference watching the quirk sections.

secondly, I think this suffered a little from overexposure pre-release, I had already seen much of it on the stream so it's hard for me to critique it, or even really enjoy it and the only stuff that was really a surprise was the not-really-flatsled section at the end. Just a note. Gonna try to do so anyway.

The flatsled sections are probably my favorite flatsled of anything ever, for a lot of reasons - 1) because flatsled enables curves to be sharper, it can be more compact in general. don't think that even occurred to me until I watched this. 2) The speed/flow/whatever - it felt smooth and steady. The pacing was great. 3) It contrasted with other parts of the track which added to the value of it immensely because it was a part of the whole that fit super well. 4) you didn't stick to the "rule" of flatsled - the manuals seemed more playful and fun when they were mixed in the flatsled. I think they might have been the most enjoyable manuals I've seen in years just because of the contrast with everything around them.

Maybe some more contrast to fit the drastic music change at 0:50 would have been nice but I know that you didn't pick the song until well after that spot, haha. Also, I thought you could maybe have used some intentional airtime throughout the entire track in parts of the song where it would make sense with the sync. And finally, the little bit between 1:37 and 1:50 felt the weakest to me because it seemed like you couldn't decide what you were doing. (here's what it felt like for me: manuals, yay, and now diagonals? and now vertical stuff synced with the music... but now it's just a curve? and then a weird hand chain thingy? oh and we're back)

But anyway, when you first said you didn't use slo-mo to make the quirk sections I thought you were crazy, but it totally worked - the flingy sections were impeccably smooth - as smooth as the flatsled! Nice job. Doesn't exactly look clean or controlled, but it's very smooth, and the grolling is fantastic! And it gets even better in the second section. (did you do quirk before this track at all or is this your first quirk? if so, bravo.)

Music sync with the xy was probably the best part of the track, and that XY section is so good! When did you get good at these things? Don't tell me this is your first XY ever, because that's ridiculous xD

The section at 2:48 was stuff I had not seen yet and it was super cool! It felt good after the earlier dense flatsled sections. I thought it was the most playful part of the track - not a ton of control but because of the enjoyment factor it didn't really matter. And then the bit at 2:57 is just great. The ending feels a bit rushed compared to the start of the track (mostly looking at the pressure in the flatsled) but it still left a good taste in my mouth. None of the "negatives" in this review were things that distracted me on first watch - they were stuff I thought about while examining the track more closely.

This might be the most "fun" omnitrack that I have ever seen. So many omnitracks these days try to blow everyone's brains out with a sort of "look at all the styles I can do" feel, and this one just feels like you're having fun and making stuff that works. But the sections all feel purposeful and well-thought-out and I never got bored wondering when the next section was coming but I also never felt like they ended too soon, which meant that the section lengths were perfect IMO. The xy section was short but it fit with the music and it just kinda worked in contrasting the other sections. Coming in and going out felt totally right and natural.

This track is a triumph and a gem. Good on you for making something that far exceeds the skill level of any of your previous tracks, and also something that is unique and creative and fun - and for finishing a track that is 3 minutes long. Bravo! Hope to see more from you in the future!
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:So many omnitracks these days try to blow everyone's brains out with a sort of "look at all the styles I can do" feel
absolutely nobody has done this

I didn't get to see much past the first third-ish being made on stream, so the last half was a surprise to me. You couldn't have picked better styles to match the sections in the song.

loved it C:
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:15 pm

I just died.
Especially because of that music. :P
I have anticipated this track for months and it is well beyond anything I ever imagined. The kind of LineRidering I have been wanting to see for ages. The feel of this track, the completeness and level of control mixed with nothing overbearing and the process of watching...all of these things were unprecedented, in my opinion. It was entertaining as  @#!*% .
 The quirk was great, so smooth and indeed powerful, yet the parts weren't kept too longa dn they weren't the main feature of the track, which I loved.
The XY is one of my favorite moments of XY in this game. The shapes of that section are unlike anything I ahve ever seen but were so aesthetic.
Don't even get me started on that flatsled.
Those tail manuals made me giggle because they were so interesting.

Finally, that stall left me with my belly full of the perfect track length. I could watch this for hours on end.

Going on my top 5 list.

Last edited by Dapianokid on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Orthuss Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Aight, so the flatsled at the beginning was awesome. I'm a sucker for compact space recycling and loops and red flatsled just fits the bill here. I would have been fine with it even if it was just flatsled but wham out of nowhere comes that awesome quirk section synced to the music and it actually holds up really well and it's actually pretty entertaining to watch. And just when i thought it's settled to manuals again BAM XY OUTTA NOWHERE and whoaaa it's so good. Second quirk section was really well done too. And I'll say it again, that music sync! I can tell this was planned out really well. The flatsled sections with some manuals in the last half weren't my favorite, but they went really well with the music, so I see why you'd include them.

Overall, really dang awesome track. Hit me like a pixilate-boosted hyper voice.
Orthuss
Orthuss

Walruss

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:55 pm

This was a very well executed track. The only think I noticed was that the music didn't quite match the intensity of the track. It was a bit to slow and felt like it was just there instead of really being part of the track. As far as track making, You stuck with what was tried and true and did those things well.
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Chuggers wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:So many omnitracks these days try to blow everyone's brains out with a sort of "look at all the styles I can do" feel
Not sure where you got this idea. Centrifugal Force? Omniverse 2 Beta? Practically every track in the omni collab contest? I challenge you to name any other omnitrack ever that didn't include an all manual section, a manuquirk section, OR an alt/progressive section. Maybe my "these days" was bad wording because I was basically talking about the last 5-6 years, but still.

also I am never a fan of people critiquing my critique without posting any actual critique themselves
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
Chuggers wrote:
Not sure where you got this idea. Centrifugal Force? Omniverse 2 Beta? Practically every track in the omni collab contest? I challenge you to name any other omnitrack ever that didn't include an all manual section, a manuquirk section, OR an alt/progressive section. Maybe my "these days" was bad wording because I was basically talking about the last 5-6 years, but still.

also I am never a fan of people critiquing my critique without posting any actual critique themselves
I think that's more because of the "rules" there were about omnitracks than because of the attitudes of the players :P An omni without alt/XY/manuals/quirk wouldn't be considered an omnitrack.

Anyway that was really awesome and different track there kevan. Bleh, different tracks are hard to critique :P. In the beginning of the track I felt like literally every curve of the track was synced to the song, was that me or was that your intention? Either way it looked very cool. Really creative of you to not use the slo-mo at all. It gave a very unique flow to the track. I'm going to use that idea in the future Smile Can't wait to see what you'll poop out next! Love your work and thanks for the words. Wink Btw, next time I wouldn't show everyone your work before release because of what rabid said.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Rafael wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:
Chuggers wrote:

I think that's more because of the "rules" there were about omnitracks than because of the attitudes of the players :P An omni without alt/XY/manuals/quirk wouldn't be considered an omnitrack.

Never in my life have I encountered a track that I felt tried to blow people's minds. Sheldon's CF2 was just Sheldon Sheldoning, and Multiverse by Kramwood was his anni track and he likes having showful style. This Is Love by gao wasn't about the styles themselves as much as responding to the concept of the 24 keys of music.
Omni's are just...omni's.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:49 am

Not a big fan of this argument about one tiny bit of my review and whether it is accurate or not. I'm pretty sure you can ALL see the point I was/am trying to make - as far as omnitracks go, this one was fun and different. If you disagree, write your own friggin reviews instead of picking out one tiny detail from a giant in-depth review I wrote and telling me how it's technically wrong. I don't understand why this happens so often. This is the reason nobody but me writes actual reviews. It sure as hell makes you feel like it was a waste of time when the only response to a review you write is several pointless posts arguing about one practically meaningless detail in it.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 am

Lol don't make it a bigger deal than needed, 3 people reacted, two of which with literally 2 lines. Btw you might've just made me review more 8D
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:50 am

*releases good track*
*war starts*
It's all so familiar..!
You have my review. Sorry rabid for being a butt :/
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm

RyderLR wrote:was

What do you mean "was"? >.>

gaoyubao wrote:I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I feel it.

Everyone in this forum is now dumber for reading that post

rabid squirrel wrote:"fun"

The fuck is that supposed to mean?

Chuggers wrote:loved it C:

I swear to god you're being sarcastic.

Dapianokid wrote:I just died.

No need to be so god damn blunt, geez.

Orthuss wrote:weren't my favorite

Enough with these god damn standards

Rafael wrote:poop

You implying my track is shit?

JK everyone, I'll get to responding to all these comments eventually.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Should've quoted "suffered a little" from rabid xD
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Summoning Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Thumbs Up GREAT JOB KEVANS UR THE BEST PLS MAKE MORE EXTREMELY LONG CONTROVERSIAL TRACKS SO WE CAN ALL ENJOY IT AND ARGUE ABOUT IT AT THE SAME TIME. but seriously, good track bud
Summoning
Summoning

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 pm

comment
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Summoning Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:55 pm

2nd comment
Summoning
Summoning

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Unnecessary 3rd comment
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:01 pm

quite happy 4th comment.

(epic track btw 8D, make more, i'm hungry.)
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by RyderLR Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Track was aight, cool I guess, liked the xy, flats led was meh, cool length, cool feel to the track, enjoyed watching about 17/19ths of the track. Bravo.
RyderLR
RyderLR

https://www.youtube.com/ryderofthelines

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Damn Kevans, this track was every bit the work of art I expected it to be.

I know you're not looking for technical critique, but in all honesty, I have very little to criticize on a technical level about this track, so I feel almost compelled to extol how well the track was crafted. Perhaps the most astonishing factor of the track was its consistent execution of seemingly simple tricks (i.e. flatsled, simple flings) in a way that made them appear "skilled" (which, I'll admit, is totally arbitrary). A lot of the flatsled could easily have become nubby-looking had you not been so darn consistent, but you succeeded throughout quite a long track in avoiding poor or even lazy trackmaking. Kudos to you for accomplishing with "easy" tricks what most of us can't even come close to with stupid-technical stuff; you've definitely put your money where your mouth is, and I totally support your arguments for style over technicality even more now that you've churned out an amazing track to back them up.

This is just the thing that I love so much about this track; I didn't even care about the "technical skill" of the tricks therein, simply because I was so captivated by the feel of the track as a whole. This is something I myself try to accomplish, though I tend to incorporate what we as a community consider "higher-level" technical tricks, and to be honest, I feel like my high technical standards impede my aesthetic skill. Now, I'm by no means saying that you have low standards, because you don't; I'm trying to assert that in making a track of not necessarily the highest pure technical skill, you managed to simultaneously make a track of very high artistic skill, and herein lies the debate. To you and me both, this idea of putting art before technical exhibition is a great one, and it's one we try to capture in our tracks; with this track, you've come arguably closer than anyone in the community. My goal in playing Line Rider is to discover a perfect fusion of high technical skill and high artistic appeal, since both are appreciable in their own way; this track is one of the closest that we've seen to achieving this ideal, and I truly want to thank you for it. Amazing job Thumbs Up
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm

7/10

Okay but for srs:

Bravo! This was amazing. The initial flatsled was alright, but regardless it was engaging and fun to watch. Then that quirk! Fit so well with the music change, and he went naturally into it. At the beginning of the quirk it was clear you weren't too comfortable with it, however as it went on it got incredibly good, made me think of Rofl's style, which is too say I really liked it. The xy took me completely off guard with how intense it was, and was probably overall the best executed part of the track. I also enjoyed the manuals mixed with the flatsled as the track went on, especially the really long ones that stretched out across several seconds. Overall very exciting, and in my eyes the actual first great track of 2015. I also want to mention this is the first track in a looooong time that I've watched at least twice in a row. Stellar job, I demand an encore!

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down