We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

+19
Z_N-Freak
NachoGrande96
Kohuda
ACwazHere
TheRevTastic
RyderLR
Inukaza
hypothet
KillinTime2792
Lankher
Hedgehogs4Me
Sssschiller
rabid squirrel
CamQuartr
Wizzy
mhenr18
[senpai] kevans
Cereal
Conundrumer
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C Empty On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Conundrumer Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Issue: Hardcore LR players (EVERYONE HERE) originally simply wanted a version with better performance and fixed bugs. Now, in the process of making Line Rider from scratch, the programmer has total control over Line Rider, and has the option of adding new tools and physics, eg double-sided lines, fill tool.

Why is this a problem?
  • Some welcome this change since they believe nearly all the possibilities of the original version has been exhausted, and new features would reinvigorate the existing community while attracting new players.
  • Others prefer to remain with the original toolset, thinking the new features would "ruin the game" and defy the spirit of Line Rider's simplicity, while making obsolete many techniques developed over the years.
The community does not agree on the direction of the new LR. Unless we can come to a consensus on this issue, the programmer will be forced to go with his own judgment, which may not be representative of the community (though it definitely helps he was a hardcore LR player too, unlike those InXile developers).

2 cents Personally, I would go with a completely radical approach: add double-sided lines and remove single-sided lines. This would eliminate the style of quirk, to COMPLETELY end the arguments over the quality of such tracks. To compensate for it, I would implement dynamic lines, springs, and trigger lines, which would allow for far more possibilities.
Of course, the majority of the community would object, so I believe that, in regards to the community as a whole, the best direction is to simply implement everything and test them out before a formal, official release. With testing, we'll finally be able to see if said features actually ruin the game or if they greatly expand potentials.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C Empty Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Cereal Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Um.... Unbound, much? .-.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C Empty Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Conundrumer Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Cereal wrote:Um.... Unbound, much? .-.
Conundrumer wrote:it definitely helps he was a hardcore LR player too, unlike those InXile developers
we aren't ignorant to the needs of the community
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

A version that only has double sided lines? That sounds like a good idea to me.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Could people please stop using "Unbound" as the catch-all term for when there's something they don't like but they're too lazy to say what and why?
Otherwise you may as well not comment, because you're just wasting space in the thread.

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm 100% all for it Thumbs Up new features all the way
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:30 pm

mhenr18 wrote:

Could people please stop using "Unbound" as the catch-all term for when there's something they don't like but they're too lazy to say what and why?
Otherwise you may as well not comment, because you're just wasting space in the thread.

No, I mean that the additions that Conun is making are in Unbound. :P
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CamQuartr Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 am

I think if these features are done correctly, they would absolutely awesome.

The reason why unbound failed was because it seamed like it was targeted for 12 year olds, So i believe if these new additions are done correctly, it really would be a great change Very Happy

CamQuartr

http://www.CameronKashtan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:19 am

I'd just really like a 6.8 that's like 6.7 but with stuff fixed and I don't understand why nobody is making it .-.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 am

Because we're trying to make LR enjoyable for more than the 20 people who seem to think that doing nothing is the way forward.

If you really care, why haven't you done it yourself?

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:54 am

mhenr18 wrote:Because we're trying to make LR enjoyable for more than the 20 people who seem to think that doing nothing is the way forward.

If you really care, why haven't you done it yourself?

Owned xD
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:22 am

mhenr18 wrote:Because we're trying to make LR enjoyable for more than the 20 people who seem to think that doing nothing is the way forward.
Who else is there? You sound like there are thousands of people anticipating this release who want to play LR but don't like 6.7
mhenr18 wrote:If you really care, why haven't you done it yourself?
I dunno, same reason you didn't do anything for two years? (busy with school)

Not to mention the fact that I administrate a site.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:51 am

rabid squirrel wrote:
Who else is there? You sound like there are thousands of people anticipating this release who want to play LR but don't like 6.7
mhenr18 wrote:If you really care, why haven't you done it yourself?
I dunno, same reason you didn't do anything for two years? (busy with school)

Not to mention the fact that I administrate babysit a site.
Thumbs Up

Alright my work here is done.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sssschiller Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:38 am

Wizzy wrote:
Thumbs Up

Alright my work here is done.

fail.

But I also think that we need some new features to recover the game. Wink I'm looking forward to play it!
Sssschiller
Sssschiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgehogs4Me Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:56 am

I enjoy quirk.
Hedgehogs4Me
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:29 am

rabid squirrel wrote:

Wow rabid, are you seriously this stupid or are you just trolling?
I'm not sure anymore, sometimes it feels like you're just doing stuff to get attention.

There's obviously not many people playing Line Rider anymore, and the only way to get new players at this point is to update and refresh the game, to enhance the experience for the new player and NOT scare them away with incredible tracks that they feel like they can never ever make.

And if you REALLY don't want there to be so many new features and stuff, I have an idea for you. DON'T DOWNLOAD IT AND STFU FOR ONCE.

You're not god, so please stop acting like it. Everyone knows how you feel about this at this point because you've said it a million times.
Can you please stfu? I'm out
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 am

Lankher wrote:**USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST**
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 am

Hedgehogs4Me wrote:I enjoy quirk.

Also, Lankher was frozen today! Hehe
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by hypothet Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Hedgehogs4Me wrote:I enjoy quirk.

This.

Also: I find it slightly funny how people almost intentionally misunderstand, or seem to (mea culpa sometimes)
hypothet
hypothet

don't read this

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Lankher wrote:There's obviously not many people playing Line Rider anymore, and the only way to get new players at this point is to update and refresh the game, to enhance the experience for the new player and NOT scare them away with incredible tracks that they feel like they can never ever make.
And you really think that this will bring lots of new players?

All the tracks that scare people away will still exist... Pretty sure that won't change, and that their effect on people won't change. (And frankly it's not a sad thing that they exist, in my eyes)

I will be pleasantly surprised if you prove me wrong, mhenr.

@Wizzy - What exactly do you want me to do? Leave?

Last edited by rabid squirrel on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
Lankher wrote:There's obviously not many people playing Line Rider anymore, and the only way to get new players at this point is to update and refresh the game, to enhance the experience for the new player and NOT scare them away with incredible tracks that they feel like they can never ever make.
And you really think that this will bring lots of new players?

All the tracks that scare people away will still exist... Pretty sure that won't change, and that their effect on people won't change. (And frankly it's not a sad thing that they exist, in my eyes)

I will be pleasantly surprised if you prove me wrong, mhenr.

Do you think not doing anything will bring new players?

Stop being so stubborn
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:30 pm

Lankher wrote:Do you think not doing anything will bring new players?
No, of course not.

I don't think there's anything we can do right now to bring new players.

I think that if we just hang out here and keep making tracks, someday Line Rider will be rediscovered by the public.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:31 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
Lankher wrote:Do you think not doing anything will bring new players?
No, of course not.

I think that if we just hang out here and keep making tracks, someday Line Rider will be rediscovered by the public.

Yeah, because we haven't done that for 5 years or anything -_-

EDIT: because you edited your post (We can't do anything? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY'RE DOING!?)
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by Inukaza Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:34 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:

LR has a better chance of dying out. That's what will probably happen. You don't bring a old meme back to life. It's wrong.

Inukaza

Back to top Go down

Post by RyderLR Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Mix in a few new features, and see the response, if people like it keep it if not, don't

/Stating the obvious
RyderLR
RyderLR

https://www.youtube.com/ryderofthelines

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum