We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

+17
Ktk
Chuggers
aspi33
efrazable
KillinTime2792
Chui Ninji
-Nexus-
Wizzy
SethComposerGuy
Rave
[senpai] kevans
Sheldon
captain_cornflakes
IGLima
wolfo9
Stallie
LineMagiX
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

Post by Ktk Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Since when were computers 100 dollars?

A ~64GB SSD will work wonders with your current hdd with the OS installed on it. 1. You reinstall your OS which is a good thing to do anyways after a while, and 2. SSD is so fast. It won't make line rider better though. Opening (lots of) programs installed on SSD, booting up, shutting down, all will be sped up on SSD.

SSDs are still quite expensive, though, I'm sure you were looking for free solutions.
Ktk
Ktk

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are the BEST ways to make a slow-ass computer run faster?

Post by wolfo9 Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:09 pm

^ummm, that won't really be a problem because a regular HDD will work fine for his configuration.

You could try backing up all your personal data and installing Linux over Windows. Trust me, whatever hardware configuration you have, Linux will make it faster
wolfo9
wolfo9

http://www.wolfgangschroeer-smith.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aspi33 Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 pm

~boo wrote:
a1c4s8 wrote:If you want to make LR go faster but not the whole comp, you can just set the process that's running LR to a higher priority.

Yea, I tried that and it raises lr up about 4 fps, but it makes itunes lag. It does help if i listen to an mp3 player instead of itunes though. Very Happy

And thanks Ktk, I'll look into it.
You should definitely switch audio player Wink
I just switched to VLC Media Player myself (which u can have custom skins on n stuff), which is the most widely accepted media player, because of it's wide compatibility, it's open source (free++), multi-platform etc. Or if you wanna go real lightweight, go CoolPlayer+ Wink

Also, Microsoft Security Essentials > Norton, Norman etc.

Windows 7 requirements: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements Smile

I recommend 2GB over more RAM, screw the graphics card and consider an SSD. These are of course for old, crappy computers, but you gotta make the best out of what you have, as long as you can Smile
aspi33
aspi33
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

https://www.youtube.com/aspi333

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 am

Line Rider is CPU and RAM bound. Upgrade those two and you're set.

However, an SSD will give you better performance as well, as your OS page file will get a [censored] ton faster.

Mind you, a '98 Dell won't really be that upgradeable these days - good luck finding compatible parts Wink

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phyxius Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:15 am

mhenr18 wrote:Line Rider is CPU and RAM bound. Upgrade those two and you're set.

However, an SSD will give you better performance as well, as your OS page file will get a [censored] ton faster.

Mind you, a '98 Dell won't really be that upgradeable these days - good luck finding compatible parts Wink

True dat^
Phyxius
Phyxius

Back to top Go down

Post by pure5152 Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:08 pm

yeah, I agree with kevans; a defrag might help :p
pure5152
pure5152

Back to top Go down

Post by Rave Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

i am sorry I didn't catch the question right, Your computer like files or internet like sites are slow?
Rave
Rave

Back to top Go down

Post by Phyxius Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Like other people say. Buy a better computer. Its hard to modify such an old computer.

-- Phyxius
Phyxius
Phyxius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Increase your fog levels. :|

Use game booster 3. It stops all programs but the one you are using. It also defragments RAM and closes unnecessary processes.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2