We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apple's Tutorials

+3
ScrungleBlumpkus
OTDE
Apple
7 posters

Go down

Apple's Tutorials Empty Apple's Tutorials

Post by Apple Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Hey guys. I'm going to be making a collection of tutorials in the coming months and I'll be posting them here. Please give any constructive feedback you want to. I have no idea what I'm doing and I want them to be good. If you have a suggestion for a new tutorial and it isn't listed below, let me know what it is! Also, if you want to help with these at all, please let me know.

I've made a subreddit where I plan to post good tutorials I find and where I'll be putting all of mine. Here it is.

List of tutorials:
- Basics of Contact Points
- Basics of Gravity Wells and Flings

List of planned tutorials:
- Introduction to Line Rider
- The Basics of Flatsled and Manuals
- How to Make Simple Kramuals
- Basic Quirk Starts

Last edited by Apple on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Apple's Tutorials Empty Re: Apple's Tutorials

Post by OTDE Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Hot. Keep it up, boyo, and let me know if you need some guest audio at any point Wink
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 pm

This tutorial is actually awesome
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Updated the original post.

I just finished my second tutorial, The Basics of Gravity Wells and Flings. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for how these could be better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0Q6iWBbWo
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Go ahead and discuss frames, iterations, and such now before you confuse people. Find ways to incorporate everything and really dive into every single detail. Nbody will know what a frame is right now.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 pm

I would be completely confused by how to make a fling from that tutorial without you including the detail that it has to be every other frame
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Yeah. I'm trying to release tutorials so that if someone were to watch them, they would be able to add it to their track making the day they see the video. I feel like that kind of stuff is far more advanced than what I'm trying to do right now. But I plan to hit everything like that a little later on.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 pm

I love these; they have such a professional feel. I really like the editing, and I'm waiting for more. Thanks Apple! Also, great example section.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm

I could see this doing from a little bit of audio work, too. Do you know how to use sound editors to filter out static noise and such? Smile That'll give it a very nice feel.
Also, visual cues (as much editing as that requires) will help this greatly. Make your points using text as well as speech to give that added bit of understanding.
I could see this being the framework for tutorials which I could have simply watched and recreated within a day. I think that's amazing.

A huge part about making flings and chains that you only barely touched on:
To make any gravity well, you have to make sure that it is at an angle that will pull that contact point. The exact angles possible will be between the perpendicular of the velocity, being the weakest angle, to the parallel, the strongest possible angle.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

Dapianokid wrote:I could see this doing from a little bit of audio work, too. Do you know how to use sound editors to filter out static noise and such? Smile That'll give it a very nice feel.
Also, visual cues (as much editing as that requires) will help this greatly. Make your points using text as well as speech to give that added bit of understanding.

I could see this being the framework for tutorials which I could have simply watched and recreated within a day. I think that's amazing.

Thanks for the feedback. I use Audacity and haven't learned anything besides hitting record. I noticed the static stuff today and plan on working on it for the next tutorials. And the visual cues are a good idea! I use iMovie as well and making titles and visual stuff in it is just horrendous. You can't actually make a simple 'appear and disappear with no stupid fade in or spin in or flip in' titles without crazy workarounds, so I have been limiting that where I can, but I think visual cues are a good idea. I'll try that next time as well.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am

I know it's a lot of work for somebody who doesn't have a lot of motivation right now (especially since the forums are kinda dead right now), but learn how to use audacity really well and you might end up with some cool tools at your disposal.
The same goes for your video editor, which I'm sure you could find a really good free one or pirate Sony Vegas.
That being said, if you can speed up or slow down the fade in effect or spinning effect, figure out how to get it down to like one frame of fade in and it won't make a difference anyway Smile

I'm excited about this series!!! Very Happy
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lukking Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 am

i love these Very Happy
Lukking
Lukking

Community Pick: SYTYKC
4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:01 pm

If anybody has any tutorials they would like to see made sooner rather than later, let me know! I'll be trying to make one this week, so feel free to suggest topics.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by anton Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:18 pm

tutorial on track-making process
anton
anton

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:07 pm

I've actually wanted to do something on this by asking a few people to create a part of a track given the same scenario to show how differently people make tracks, because I want to make a track making tutorial but everybody is so different in the way they do it that it's kind of something you have to figure out for yourself.
Apple
Apple

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Do you have a list of ideas?
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content