We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger

3 posters

Go down

tiger - First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger Empty First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger

Post by Getthim Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:08 pm

This is i believe to be the first ever coloured scenery on a Line Rider track.

rabid squirrel wrote:This was all created with Line Rider and Key & Tint effects in Premiere. Meaning all of the colored lines were drawn by Getthim, and nothing was "painted" on by me.

Making color overlays is a very inexact science. I used luma keys (specifically, the "Ultra Key" effect in Premiere, setting the key color to white) to make the white transparent, as opposed to the "multiply" blend mode I use for mask-split overlays. Then I used the "Tint" effect on the colored ones (changing black to whatever color). The black lines overlay didn't look right until I used the "multiply" blend mode for just that one, which worked since it was black. There was a lot of "noise" around the edges of the white space in the saves, so I went in and adjusted the "Matte Cleanup -> Choke" setting within the luma key until it looked right (ended up being a bunch of different amounts for various layers.

My guess is that maybe the keying function isn't used to super hard black/white edges that move (after all, it's designed for film, not animation), or maybe there are slight flaws in the recording codec and an uncompressed video file would yield better results. Or maybe there are things that would better serve us in After Effects. Issues that you can see include:
- coloration on Bosh himself when there is white around him
- edges of recording are white when there should be color
- some glitchy white spots appearing (minimized with the choke setting but still there), mostly near Bosh
- when getting rid of the glitchy white stuff with the choke settings, the orange in the back end of the log refused to stay in (it looks white)

Conceptual stuff:
- It is tricky to know what color layers should go on top of other layers and what should happen when they overlap. should they blend, or should one cover the other up? This one wasn't too hard for me to decide in this example but this could be an issue later.
- Getthim labeled his saves with different colors, and I just picked one I thought looked good. but hex color names could be used to be more precise.
- A huge issue with this is that it is a huge amount of work to get a preview. This probably took 2-3 hours for me to make the recording, just for 5 seconds with 4 colors. This makes it incredibly impractical to get "test recordings" along the way to make sure it looks good.

That said, this was super fun to make and I would love to explore more stuff like this!
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

tiger - First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger Empty Re: First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger

Post by gaoyubao Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Lion King for a tiger?
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

tiger - First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger Empty Re: First ever full colour scenery track - Tiger

Post by Getthim Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 am

there are all types of animals in lion king, and i liked the intro
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 am

Interesting track and idea. I find it funny though that the credits are longer than the track.
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum