We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR?

+21
hypothet
Chuggers
crash2burn
Wizzy
Wolf_Spirit
mhenr18
OTDE
LineMagiX
Opal Rider
SPL4SHZ0N3
gaoyubao
Sheldon
Rafael
Lankher
Conundrumer
KillinTime2792
Helios Pavonine
efrazable
Votale
Fauxfyre
[senpai] kevans
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Empty What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR?

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 pm

This isn't me telling you guys you should think 3.4 contact points is awesome. Because it is. What I want to talk about is the future of tricks this "feature" can bring to us.

With the ability to see where each contact point is, we can soon be able to make more complex flings, like a dual-alt-asdf-flanual (I've done one with contact points, and i think that's what it is.), or maybe a triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple, nontuple, and even full body flings (decatuple), because we can see the points easier. Now of course, anyone could of done these with regular 6.7, but there is a point where so many wells are being pulled, you can't tell if another one is being pulled (IE sled because you can't see it the same way as hand or foot). Now, some of the benefits are that you can see if a well is pulling a point, or if a stack is influencing the well.

So what's your opinion? Despite these tricks already possible in 6.7, how much easier does this make things? Good or bad? Discuss.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Empty Re: What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR?

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:45 pm

It is kind of weird using them when I'm so used to regular :P It might be good for new players who don't know as much, but for me I found it unorthodox, so I just went back to regular. For me it didn't really make that much of a difference. If you know what the contact points are then it doesn't make that much of a difference whether they are on or off. 2 cents
/redundancy

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Empty Re: What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR?

Post by Votale Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:00 pm

It's absolutely stupid to be able to see contact points.

I've played with them, it's way to easy. It takes basically all of the skill out of making difficult tricks. Why not just add in the ability to use frame-by-frame slow-mo while you're at it? Cause it'll take no skill whatsoever to make difficult flings with those attributes. That's why there are players that are "better" than others. They take the time and use the skill it takes to make said flings and other tricks. Nobody needs contact points to make hard tricks, just patience and skill. And they work to improve that skill.

It's honestly retarded in my opinion to THINK of adding contact points to LR. I'd be extremely disappointed to see it happen. Nothing that makes the game easier to play and be "good" at should be added, ever. Aesthetics, on the other hand, like zoom, fast forward button, multiple flags, and other things like that which actually HELP the game should be added. The idea of adding contact points and the like to the game just pisses me off Eep

/end-rant.

EDIT: Plus, I wouldn't even want to see a fling like you described. It sounds disgusting.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Votale wrote:Why not just add in the ability to use frame-by-frame slow-mo while you're at it?
You've obviously never played Kevan's versions before.

EDIT: Also you seem to think contact points is like LR godmode. It's really not different from playing regularly if you already know where the points are.

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Shotoku wrote:
Votale wrote:Why not just add in the ability to use frame-by-frame slow-mo while you're at it?

EDIT: Also you seem to think contact points is like LR godmode. It's really not different from playing regularly if you already know where the points are.

shotoku, understand that some of these people are conservative, and want a smoother track making experience, rather than easier trick making experience. Now to you, this doesn't seem that bad, to you, it seems it's easier in track making, but to votale, it's easier on trick making. To him, this makes his practiced effort moot since now someone can use that feature and do what he did in days, and do it in an hour or so.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Shotoku wrote:

I haven't. haha and your statement has nothing to do with the quote. I've played with contact points. Long ago. The tricks that are hard to make nowadays were easy as nips. And your statement of "It's not really different from playing regularly if you already know where the points are" is funny to say, because you're basically proving my point. You're saying "oh it's no different than playing normally" so why not play normally? Save the hastle. But in actuallity, it makes tricks SO easy. Even you could make tricks that Kramwood or HP are making with little skill involved. However, it's much more of a challenge without contact points.

And no, I'm not saying any of this for that reason Kevs, I don't care if it "makes my past practice moot" or whatever xD I couldn't care less about "practice." I just play to play. It'd just make stuff way to easy. I dig a challenge. Everyone who would like this item implemented just wants things to be easier.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Votale wrote:EDIT: Plus, I wouldn't even want to see a fling like you described. It sounds disgusting.
Are you kidding? Deca-flings are like future quirk on meth, which I assume would be slightly awesome to see in a couple tracks. Also, I assume that a couple of high-end quirkers got this version beta, so I challenge them to try to attempt a deca-fling.

I'm looking at you, kram.

And splash.

And roflmaoqwerty.
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Votale wrote:Even you could make tricks that Kramwood or HP Splash are making with little skill involved.
Fixed.
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 am

time =/= skill, just throwing that out there.
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am

whenever i want to see the contact points i just used mhenr's contact point hax version
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:59 am

Votale wrote:Everyone who would like this item implemented just wants things to be easier.

No effing s**t.

Now, Sherlock.. Tell me what's wrong with easier?
more tracks would be released, the forum might get more active because of the tracks and we might even get more members because of all the youtube videos.
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 am

kevansevans wrote:
Shotoku wrote:

shotoku, understand that some of these people are conservative, and want a smoother track making experience, rather than easier trick making experience. Now to you, this doesn't seem that bad, to you, it seems it's easier in track making, but to votale, it's easier on trick making. To him, this makes his practiced effort moot since now someone can use that feature and do what he did in days, and do it in an hour or so.
You're asking for opinions, and Votale gives his opinion, and you completely ignore him?
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 am

I used 6.1 with contact points to make my first nose foot combo fling(non-contact foot). I'd most certainly use a version like this. I can do the tricks, why not do them a bit faster. It also helps me know which wells actually affect bosh, another thing that requires some speculation in the normal versions.
Sheldon
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

words have been said

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.wordshavebeensaid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:39 am

What's more important: making really cool tracks or being a really cool track maker?
Do we need terrible tracks in order to say that certain other tracks are "the best?"
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Rafael wrote:You're asking for opinions, and Votale gives his opinion, and you completely ignore him?

Votale wrote:They take the time and use the skill it takes to make said flings and other tricks. Nobody needs contact points to make hard tricks, just patience and skill. And they work to improve that skill.

kevansevans wrote:To him, this makes his practiced effort moot since now someone can use that feature and do what he did in days, and do it in an hour or so.

I'm sorry, what?
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I would use this contact point version to facilitate the creation of advanced tricks (multiple contact point pulls). But wth is a dual alt asdf flanual? That just sounds naturally incoherent (alt cancels out asdf) ON TOP OF a flanual?!
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 pm

It's an asdf on top of an alt flanual. I could see it being done with a nose alt flanual and first peg hand asdf.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:33 pm

SPL4SHZ0N3 wrote:I would use this contact point version to facilitate the creation of advanced tricks (multiple contact point pulls). But wth is a dual alt asdf flanual? That just sounds naturally incoherent (alt cancels out asdf) ON TOP OF a flanual?!

Exactly what I was thinking. trying pretty hard to make complex tricks that don't even work out. xD
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:35 pm

kevansevans wrote:
Rafael wrote:You're asking for opinions, and Votale gives his opinion, and you completely ignore him?

Votale wrote:They take the time and use the skill it takes to make said flings and other tricks. Nobody needs contact points to make hard tricks, just patience and skill. And they work to improve that skill.

kevansevans wrote:To him, this makes his practiced effort moot since now someone can use that feature and do what he did in days, and do it in an hour or so.

I'm sorry, what?
Exactly. "To him". Votale talks to you, so you talk to Votale, and not about Votale.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm

It doesn't really make practice and effort moot btw...
When I use mhenr's version, it's sort of confusing because the contact points get in the way of seeing the image of bosh moving. So in the same way you will still need to practice using the version to get used to it. And it's not entirely effortless like you describe because you still have to make the lines. You can't just type into linerider "10 lines blue hand contact from pixel x,y upward current speed s and current orientation 47 degrees counterclockwise" and it makes the trick."
That would be effortless... and not a good idea.
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

No idea what you guys are talking about "time = difficulty". Seeing the contact points makes using them and finding them WAY easier. And it basically takes all the difficulty and "impressiveness," for lack of a better word, out of the entire process. If you were to make some badarse fling in regular LR, I'd be like "Gee willickers wowzers magoodle doo, that's sexy." But the ability to actually see the contact point that you want to use makes it so much easier IMO. The point of most games is to be difficult to be good at, not say "oh here's something that'll make it way easier." Tis gay as nips.

Mhenr implemented features that helped LR but didn't make it easier. If only he was here.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:17 am

Votale wrote:Mhenr implemented features that helped LR but didn't make it easier. If only he was here.

Normally, I try to avoid ranting over who thinks who's better, but you seem to fail at including one major key point that makes me different from Mhenr.

I.
Am.
Here.
To.
Listen.
To.
Your.
Opinion.

I mean really, how hard is it to go and make a reply that says "Hey kevans, this idea thing you've got here, it's [censored]" or "Hey Kevans, make a version that focuses on bug fixes and add things that (your definition) help?". I sit here and make these things happen for the people who know that if they speak up, I will listen. Seriously, just [censored] tell me. Then, when I do release a version, people like you get pissed and are like "Oh, this [censored] feature makes things too easy" WHEN YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING OR TRIED TO STOP ME BEFORE. There what? 60 active members here? (Not active daily obviously) And out of that 60, an average of 5 actually tell me in the forums, chat, skype, or any other means of contacting me, and let me know what they think. So if you want a version that helps, rather than makes things easier, tell me how to do it. Because obviously I have no idea what the [censored] I'm doing.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Empty I. Am. Here. To. Have. Kevan's. Babies.

Post by efrazable Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:24 am

Aaaanyways, if the contact points resource is already out there, then why not implement it into 3.4? It's not like someone who would have used the contact points had it been implemented would suddenly stop and say to themselves, "Oh no, this feature isn't in the version! I should totally not look for it in a different version/hack."

Last edited by efrazable on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:24 am

Question: Where in that sentece do you see me calling anyone better?

What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Tumblr_lse4jzc4Yx1qij82jo1_500

@ Efraz, nobody except homos use the contact point hack for real tracks. It's ghey.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 am

Votale wrote:No idea what you guys are talking about "time = difficulty". Seeing the contact points makes using them and finding them WAY easier. And it basically takes all the difficulty and "impressiveness," for lack of a better word, out of the entire process. If you were to make some badarse fling in regular LR, I'd be like "Gee willickers wowzers magoodle doo, that's sexy." But the ability to actually see the contact point that you want to use makes it so much easier IMO. The point of most games is to be difficult to be good at, not say "oh here's something that'll make it way easier." Tis gay as nips.

Mhenr implemented features that helped LR but didn't make it easier. If only he was here.
I disagree with everything in this paragraph. Every. single. word. and I'm confused why you think something that looks awesome sucks balls instead only because someone made it with contact points on. That is very arrogant, and I also don't think "taking the difficulty out of LR" is something bad, you seem to think that people need to suffer to make tracks which is very stupid.

Also, CONTACT POINTS DON'T EVEN MAKE IT THAT MUCH EASIER, ONLY A LITTLE. STOP WHINING ABOUT HOW IT MAKES EVERYTHING EASY AS [censored].
What could 3.4 contact points bring to the future of LR? Come at me bro, i dare ya

Fauxfyre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next