We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes a good fling quirk?

+6
Rafael
Fauxfyre
Helios Pavonine
Chuggers
[senpai] kevans
LineMagiX
10 posters

Go down

What makes a good fling quirk? Empty What makes a good fling quirk?

Post by LineMagiX Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Question for two reasons. One, curiosity. Two, because I'm making one.

I know the most popular style is probably SCG-continuous fluid flinging and rolling, but what other kinds are there? I can't really think of anything. Maybe ride liner/leomur/STP/anomaly/wtb gravity play and misdirectional quirk?
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

What makes a good fling quirk? Empty Re: What makes a good fling quirk?

Post by [senpai] kevans Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Extremely broken and pulling a contact point for only 2 frames before awkwardly moving to the next like I do.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:57 pm

People seem to like it when you drag out a trick long enough to identify what it is, or at least that's what some people liked about cursive
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:00 pm

One of my big problems is that I find it hard to get a 'loose' feeling to my quirks. I guess you could describe the first 1/3 of Eden (see signature) as static compared to the rest, due to the fact I forgot to add enough rotation and I'm just a perfectionist like that...

So take it easy and overall have fun! That's the best advice I can give you xD
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:19 pm

trick variation and flow. Complexity of a particular trick is not as important as having good flow, but make sure you don't do the same thing too many times in a row, even if it does go with the flow.

Also, everybody loves a little bit of music sync

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:43 pm

kevansevans wrote:Extremely broken and pulling a contact point for only 2 frames before awkwardly moving to the next like I do.
Haha, have you seen infinite? xD That's pretty much all it was. i would have an asdf that only lasted for 15 frames before it evolved and switched to another one and so on. Maybe it'd be cool if it was like 80 frames and kept switching. :o :o :o like an asdf that alternated between different flings. I gotta try that sometime!
Chuggers wrote:People seem to like it when you drag out a trick long enough to identify what it is, or at least that's what some people liked about cursive
Agreed. I've always that this mindstate is important. Especially in modern fast paced quirk. What sucks about it though is that sometimes you have to put hours into a second of track, even if after the first few wells it get's automatic like most flings. haha
shotoku wrote:trick variation and flow. Complexity of a particular trick is not as important as having good flow, but make sure you don't do the same thing too many times in a row, even if it does go with the flow.

Yea, but this works for every style/genre. :P
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Fling quirk is often very fastpaced and fast, simply because most gravitational tricks speed Bosh up, and the ones that slow down slow down so much they're often considered flow killers.
You can, however, make slow faced fling quirk. Think of the grolling in Omniverse 2 Beta. It's slow (both in speed and pace), yet very entertaining. You can make more tricks in such manner. You can also vary. This is done very well in Levitation.
Players nowadays want to make their wells as strong as possible with stacking and all, but I'd love to see players experiment with weak wells. They don't have to be bad, as long as the wells are consistently weak, and I think they can be used in a really entertaining and surprising way.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Chuggers wrote:drag out a trick long enough to identify what it is
shotoku wrote:make sure you don't do the same thing too many times in a row, even if it does go with the flow.
I approve of all of these things
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SethComposerGuy Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Probably one of the most important things for a solid fling quirk for me is keeping everything clean as it's much more pleasing to the eye. especially with the tricks you use. For instance, I see many tracks come out these days where they experiment with using several lines per frame. The danger with that is it will quickly come to a point where there are so many lines you can't tell what's going on and it starts to look messier than say a simpler version of the trick you're doing.

It's also important to be mindful of how you chain your tricks together so that each trick flows nicely together while keeping enough variety to make it unpredictable.
SethComposerGuy
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:47 am

~boo wrote:What makes a good fling quirk?

Me.
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 am

Lankher wrote:
~boo wrote:What makes a good fling quirk?

Me.

I'll fling your quirk.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum