We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to critique a track

5 posters

Go down

How to critique a track Empty How to critique a track

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm

"There is no such thing as constructive criticism. Either you praise it, or you critique it. Perfect or imperfect. Nothing in between" - My dad.

Okay, so awhile back me and my Dad, who's an english teacher, were talking about critiquing certain things. I eventually had the idea of "How would you critique a Line Rider track?". We came to the conclusion that Line Rider is a form of art, and then he gave me his ideas on how to grade art. I then adapted it into the best way to grade a linerider track.

This is what you should state when doing:

1) How did the track make you feel? Did you or did you not like it?

2) State some evidence to back up (1)
-(Good track) state strong points
-(bad track) State flaws, the less obvious, the better

3) State the opposite of what you said in (2)

4) Sum up what you said in (2) and (3), then provide a grade based on your own scale, make sure it's not too narrow (like/dislike) or too broad (8,765/10,000)

5) State the non related opinions like skill of the track, song choice, or progress of a rider

6) If the track is perfect, praise the [censored] out of it. and there is a difference between flawless and perfect.

Spoiler:
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

How to critique a track Empty Re: How to critique a track

Post by Cereal Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Didn't Rafael have a thread like this?
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

https://iridethelines.forumotion.com/t4486-how-to-give-criticism
It's hard (impossible) to learn people how to see details, it's easy to show them how to write their opinion down Wink

Last edited by Rafael on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Traxis Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

I much prefer this thread for actually grading tracks and giving advice, whereas Rafaels is more of a forum guide overall with a focus on trackmaking in each area.
Traxis
Traxis

The True Giygas

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 am

kevansevans wrote:"There is no such thing as constructive criticism. Either you praise it, or you critique it. Perfect or imperfect. Nothing in between" - My dad.
Constructive criticism = criticism of a work that leads to helping the creator of the work improve his or her future works.

Your dad doesn't understand what it means.
kevansevans wrote:4) Sum up what you said in (2) and (3), then provide a grade based on your own scale, make sure it's not too narrow (like/dislike) or too broad (8,765/10,000)
I really, really, don't think art can be rated in any way. A rating implies a maximum possible mark, which is simply not the case - we have no idea where the maximum possible mark lies.
kevansevans wrote:5) State the non related opinions like skill of the track, song choice, or progress of a rider
isn't there a ton of overlap?
kevansevans wrote:6) If the track is perfect, praise the [censored] out of it. and there is a difference between flawless and perfect.

Spoiler:
Art simply can't be graded like this. You just can't have "wrong" art or art with "nothing better" - it doesn't work like that. All you have is art that moves you, makes you think, changes you... and art that does that more or less than other art
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: