We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood

+5
CamQuartr
chaomocha
efrazable
Z_N-Freak
rabid squirrel
9 posters

Go down

Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood Empty Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Welcome to video of the week, where I pick a random video from my exceptional playlist and talk about it in depth Very Happy

The first time I chose a random number between 1 and 168, random.org chose 168 O.o, which would have been Party's Over... so I chose a new one.

----------

THIS WEEK'S VIDEO: #141

Finalize by Kramwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwe9OirkVE

Kramwood for some reason is an extremely controversial trackmaker these days. Not in the sense that what he makes is controversial, but people seem to like to argue about his tracks. If I read the threads on this track and the youtube comments, about half of the material is crap like arguing about the music or the single instance of airtime. And not only that - I don't feel accomplished to critique quirk because I'm not good at it myself, but I frequently see people harshly criticizing a track they could never make in a way that makes me :facepalm: Why is there nobody who is both good at quirk and enjoys critiquing it?

That said, I'm going to try my best to critically analyze this track from the perspective of what looks good to me (not from a technical perspective). I'm only doing what nobody else ever seems to want to do. If you disagree, well, you should have analyzed it when the track came out, because nobody did. The best analysis I saw was this:
Painlobster wrote:When that drop came I was all OSHI-
And then that highspeed came and I was all OOSHHHHIIIII
And then that squishy alt fling and the second peg no contact whatever the hell it was came and I was all OOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Kramwood 4 Jesus!

----------

The first time I saw this, it took me straight back to Omniverse 2 Beta by Conundrumer (the second half, anyway) It's also somewhat reminiscent of Hedge - those classic highspeed-but-frozen-in-space jaw-dropper moments. That's what makes this track exceptional for me - it's the best highspeed spin manipulation I've seen in ages. More on that later - now I'll take a walkthrough of the track from start to finish.

The first half of the track has some cool moments, but it's not really that noteworthy. It has a large variety of difficult tricks but is not very creative in their execution, order, transitions, or effect. To use Hedge terminology, kramwood was not thinking of "the dance" that is quirk when he made this. There's no sense of flow or airtime or anything to make it any more than "ok, I did that fling/recycle/flanual/alt-fling/trick, what should I do now? I guess I'll do this thing." Not to say it's bad, it's just uncreative.

The airtime isn't set up very well either. The first half anticlimactically ends with an awkward fakie foot chain that doesn't power him down, or stop him, or toss him upward, but is rather weak and doesn't dramatically set up the fall at all (besides the fact that he goes into fakie, which almost makes it less original because of how overused fakie airtime is today)

However, once we hit the highspeed at 0:59 (which is deliciously synced to the music) we realize right away that this is going to be a dramatic upgrade from the first half, which in some ways heightens the drama through juxtaposition. We are instantly treated to grolls and integration, and then a series of flings, manuals, airtime, and flanuals each sustained for a second or so. This sustain-switch-sustain that was rather bland in the slower section suddenly comes alive as Bosh is traveling at >9000 MPH. The switches are lighting fast and the sustains often demonstrate extreme control of motion as Bosh appears to almost freeze. While not as perfect as it could be, this effect is not easy to achieve and kramwood deserves recognition for pulling off this well. The first really notable instance of this is the second-peg fling at 1:11, which launches Bosh into a series of manipulations of our expectations. Bosh violently freezes, vibrates, swerves, wobbles, spins and then slows, then speeds up again, turns and then straightens - this is highspeed at its finest, and this is why this track is noteworthy.

It would have been nice for the track to continue until the end of the music and then to end with the airtime, and the editing is annoying, so the end is a bit of a :facepalm: added on to 30 seconds of epicness. But overall that doesn't take away too much from the track. While maybe not an incredible experience as a whole, this track contains a section that is highly noteworthy for its well-done highspeed rotation manipulation.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood Empty Re: Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood

Post by Z_N-Freak Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:05 pm

What the flying mother of a crazed scientist traveling through space is this?
I have not seen this track before.

WHAT?!

IT'S DEDICATED TO ME?!?!?!

WHAT?!

*feels incompetent*
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood Empty Re: Rabid's Video of the Week #14 - Finalize by Kramwood

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm

lolznf

you should look through 2010 and 2011 in my exceptional list and watch the ones you haven't seen before :P
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by efrazable Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 pm

When I saw it was all blue, I almost began laughing as if "Holy crap! Is there a faster quirk than this?"

So... is there a quirk faster than this? If so, can someone give me the link?
efrazable
efrazable

Durr I'm efraz herp derp

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrazable?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by chaomocha Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:2010 and 2011 in my exceptional list

I blame znf for this section :| 8D

I actually missed this track too, and watching through it I really liked it. I'm sort of a laidback guy when it comes to liking things; if you put effort into it it's most certainly enjoyable from my stadards. I read up to the ------------ of rabids post before watching it too and I could see where some people would argue about airtime or trick execution, but what I don;t understand is why are they argueing. There is no perfect track and there never will be, and everyone knows this, so why bother fighting over whos is closest.

now after reading through Rabid's second half of his post, and thinking back on the track and rewatching 1:11 (freakin sweet), I have to agree the middle is the best part, but I mean I can't do what he did in the beginning, no way. I may not have liked it as much as the middle, but it was still really cool how he was whipping bosh around and throwing him here and there and all the while doing awesome tricks and then into the tracks major music sync, which isnt too easy considering it was in the middle of the track. and even the ending, just flying up into the air without any care, I still enjoyed it because it was like a whole other drop in the music, and it was a climax building up but then suddenly he stops and the music stops and it all fades out, and the editing before foreshadowed this. It's like it leaves the viewer empty and frustrated but it was so good there must be more, even if its not in this video I gotta see what this kid can dish out next. And kram doesn't dissapoint either.

Although my point isn't argueing or agreeing with anything anyones really said, I still felt like I should say it. interperate as you want.
chaomocha
chaomocha

Back to top Go down

Post by CamQuartr Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:36 pm

I always loved this track.

Its so fast paced, and inspiring from the very beginning.
The music syncs perfectly, and even from the intro it makes me feel like I'm on a roller coaster through the world of LR.

This track consists of some of the most impressive LR tricks done, and most of them are done in high speed too.

One of my favorite parts of the track, is that during the highspeed parts, it foreshadows upcoming parts of the track, which in my opinion is freaking sweet.

Love it!

CamQuartr

http://www.CameronKashtan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:10 pm

The track was truly awesome btw.
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpinator Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:57 am

The fling at 1:11 - 1:12 is a Everyframe no contactpoint squishy 2nd peg fling i think 8D

I also think this track is kickass
Derpinator
Derpinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

There can't be a fling without using a contactpoint... :|
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:12 am

My favourite track of Kramwood. Always enjoyable to watch and I still don't get how the tail thing at 1:21 works o_o
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallie Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I really like this track and i acctually like this track better than eclipse, To tell you the truth. Smile
Stallie
Stallie

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Z_N-Freak wrote:There can't be a fling without using a contactpoint... :|
it's a misnomer, it just looks like there's no contact point. I actually dunno what it looks like but there was a heated debate in the past over whether there was actually a contact point or not lol (there is, of course)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm

The contact point is the 2nd tail, but it doesn't show the tail extending because it is at the end of the line. Its similar to the "no contact point spidey" or the "non-fakie 3rd pos. nose."

I think rafael had a tutorial on it.
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 am

Ah, should've known that.
Also, I'm surprised you still remember that thread, splashxD
Unfortunately it's gone Sad
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum