We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on genre

+2
Opal Rider
OTDE
6 posters

Go down

Thoughts on genre Empty Thoughts on genre

Post by OTDE Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:55 pm

I just watched this video:

Thoughts? I think this may bring up an interesting point about the constant need to break everything into genres. I wanna hear from you guys.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on genre Empty Re: Thoughts on genre

Post by Opal Rider Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:06 pm

I don't think it's a bad thing that people focus on certain genres more than others. While there may be the odd case where you find a band you like from a genre that you dislike, it's also very rare, and the amount of songs you have to sit through in order to find those few bands makes the time commitment questionable for some (Although if you're happy to do so then don't let that stop you). The only time I disagree with using genres as inspiration is in creating music. If you're forming a band, and you want to fall under "enter genre here", you're limiting yourself. Just make music that you like to make, and for all you know you might create something that transcends genres entirely.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:38 pm

this is a very interesting video! i never really understood the gorillaz conceptually until now.

personally, i dont...care about genre anymore? i think it has its utility, and like very other tool, should be used when most effective, and not all the time. for me, they're just words and concepts that get a point across really quickly, and i have the vocabulary and knowledge to go deeper if the listener/audience wants to

with respect to creation: genre (and familiar ideas in general) are what people reach to by default, because the way creativity works is that we start from existing material. so i understand why people constrain themselves when they're starting out, and even recommend it. however, I hate it when they don't break out of their constraints.

I'm looking at you, vaporwave.
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:13 am

"This need to overcategorize music Line Rider tracks, putting everything in neatly labeled boxes, is detrimental to the exploration factor in acquiring your musical artistic taste... you find a few genres you like and you get stuck."

^ I'm guessing this parallel to LR is why you put this in WRTL center instead of just a thread of "let's talk about genres in music" like it was interpreted by the two people above me...
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Well it didn't help that this same exact video was posted in skype with no Line Rider context just minutes before this was put up, and we there had a very non line rider related discussion before OTDE joined in and mentioned that he had started a similar conversation on the forums. I agree the conversation can be very line rider related if we turned it in the direction (and we very much can) but right now I'm sort of offput that it feels like you're talking down on mine and conun's comments just because of the fact that we aren't thinking line rider 24/7.

EDIT: As a happy medium, instead of arguing pointlessly over the right direction this conversation was intended to go, I have quoted both of our original posts and changed them to LR. Still counts. Because look at us, we're still insightful even when we're not directly talking about LR and stuff.

Opal Rider wrote:I don't think it's a bad thing that people focus on certain style more than others. While there may be the odd case where you find a track maker you like from a style that you dislike, it's also very rare, and the amount of tracks you have to sit through in order to find those few track makers makes the time commitment questionable for some (Although if you're happy to do so then don't let that stop you). The only time I disagree with using styles as inspiration is in creating line rider tracks instead of viewing them. If you're making a track, and you want to fall under "enter style here", you're limiting yourself. Just make tracks that you like to make, and for all you know you might create something that transcends styles entirely.

Conundrumer wrote:this is a very interesting video! i never really understood the gorillaz conceptually until now.

personally, i dont...care about style anymore? i think it has its utility, and like very other tool, should be used when most effective, and not all the time. for me, they're just words and concepts that get a point across really quickly, and i have the vocabulary and knowledge to go deeper if the listener/audience wants to

with respect to creation: style (and familiar ideas in general) is what people reach to by default, because the way creativity works is that we start from existing material. so i understand why people constrain themselves when they're starting out, and even recommend it. however, I hate it when they don't break out of their constraints.

I'm looking at you, (instert ironic track style here).
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:30 pm

I think regardless of whether or not it applies to Line Rider (it does), it's something important to talk about as a general subject as well.

Books in pop culture, most notably Divergent, tackle the subject quite well, noting that the fractured divisions of people based on a single aspect or characteristic can be counterproductive in the long run.

That's because as people, we aren't just one thing. People are complicated, messy, beautiful creatures, and we would do well to look at ourselves and our surroundings with a tad more nuance.
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Opal Rider wrote:I'm sort of offput that it feels like you're talking down on mine and conun's comments just because of the fact that we aren't thinking line rider 24/7.
If it's not about Line Rider it should have been posted in the off topic section, no? Sort of surprised that I have to spell this out, let alone to a mod, let alone publicly.

Personally I'm not interested a discussion on this site if we're not talking about LR (for obvious reasons) which is why I tried to steer the conversation back in that direction, but it seems that was a fruitless endeavor.
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by rich Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:37 pm

Genre was created and is held as a valuable tool for a long time, because the market developed genre authenticly and uses genre authenticly. It is just there for a rough, and can be very rough, estimation of the style. I think genre is important, or it would have never been conceived and backed by the market of the subjects that use it; if it was a bad idea people would never have kept using it.
rich
rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Z_N-Freak Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:09 am

rabid squirrel wrote:
Opal Rider wrote:I'm sort of offput that it feels like you're talking down on mine and conun's comments just because of the fact that we aren't thinking line rider 24/7.
If it's not about Line Rider it should have been posted in the off topic section, no? Sort of surprised that I have to spell this out, let alone to a mod, let alone publicly.

Personally I'm not interested a discussion on this site if we're not talking about LR (for obvious reasons) which is why I tried to steer the conversation back in that direction, but it seems that was a fruitless endeavor.

Guys, why all the hostility?
Before assuming somebody did something with bad intentions, I'd suggest to personally contact the person (e.g. via PM)
I think both of you have a point here and it would've been much better if this was talked about one on one, rather than exchanging these passive aggressive posts.

Maybe OTDE and Opal didn't realize that WRTL Center is exclusively for Line Rider talk (and possibly Opal didn't realize in which forum the topic was posted, I usually don't pay attention to that myself), so Opal probably didn't realize what Rabid was talking about in his post that therefore appears very off putting (I didn't get it either until after Rabid explained his thought process). And I can imagine that we're all feeling a little bit sour after these posts were exchanged. Better to avoid it imo.

Wishing everyone a nice day.
Cheers
Z_N-Freak
Z_N-Freak

Off-sled Action

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Yeah, that exchange resulted in a loooong skype conversation. Opal didn't realize it was in the WRTL center (mostly due to the discussion in the wrtl skype chat, which I am not a part of)
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: