We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do What You Love - Opal Rider

+7
Getthim
ScrungleBlumpkus
gaoyubao
Josro
Chuggers
roflmaoqwerty
Flagpole
11 posters

Go down

Do What You Love - Opal Rider Empty Do What You Love - Opal Rider

Post by Opal Rider Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SwomsCeEs&feature=youtu.be

Possibly my battle track against Chuggers, if he's still working on his track? If not, then this it's just a fun, short doodle that I felt had a lot of groove to it.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Do What You Love - Opal Rider Empty Re: Do What You Love - Opal Rider

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 pm

That was delicious! Loved the vertical green lines that totally fooled me. I really hope you keep making these as long as you're enjoying them because I feel like you are improving fast and I can't wait to see what you do next!

Let me know if you'd like a more detailed review and I can give you one Smile
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 pm

Always detailed review as long as you're not too busy. Smile I enjoy them. Even if they're more bad than good, it shows that a lot of thought was put into the review, and that you actually care about what you're saying.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Flagpole Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm

that was pretty cool. i like the symmetry with the strait and curved lines. almost made it look as if you drew out those lines with the scenery brush first
Flagpole
Flagpole

Gimme one a dem hotdogs

http://supersecretfuntimeforever.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm

The beginning especially had a few manuals which were so smooth I'd say this is pioneering work. My thoughts on what a perfect manual should be is lines that work with the flow of his velocity and rotation, rather than lines that force his velocity and rotation into being a certain way. It was like most of those lines weren't even there.
I love this.
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Some of the most incredible green line integration I've ever seen. Opal, you have a style and you have it down pat. Keep it coming!
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 pm

still working
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Josro Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm

wow nice skype
Josro
Josro

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:14 pm

I was waiting for someone to mention that. xD Actually thought it would be Kevans, he always seems to comment on bad editing jobs. Yeah, I got sorta lazy with it, didn't feel like redoing the video.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Loved the reversed red lines. It kind of makes the track unique, with bosh continuously backtracking. Loved it!
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 pm

I still get chills from watching the beginning of this. I'm about to go watch for probably the 12th time. You certainly did what you loved,
ScrungleBlumpkus
ScrungleBlumpkus

Interior Crocodile Alligator

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 am

oooohh i love it, the smoothness of the manuals, top marks! Encore!(Another!)
Getthim
Getthim

A bumble bee bumbling along.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diotoxin Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Very awesome

nnice
Diotoxin
Diotoxin

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:57 pm

You're basically the new georgiojc with some spicy meatballs thrown on top!
OTDE
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:14 am

And without any of those schnazzy double sided manuals. Never could get those working properly.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Augh just made a long review and then forumotion logged me out and I have to retype it. Here goes.

OTDE is right, this is quite reminiscent of georgio_jc. and leomur. and otde himself :P

- The start of this track is just great. the jumps at 1:14, 1:16, 1:17, and 1:19 contrast so beautifully with the smooth manuals like at 1:15 and 1:18
- 0:22 is quite impressive, didn't notice how unusual that was until I sat down to examine this track one second at a time. was that just luck?
- 0:23 impressed me with how fast you got him going in like 3 frames and I loved the hidden shoulder wells
- 0:24 it was awesome how it felt like a freeze frame before he hit the tail well. hidden well in the line?
- after 0:25 the track feels like it gets less ingenious and inventive and flowy. it either feels more forced and less natural, or relaxed and less focused.
- great moment at 0:30 though.
- 0:37 I totally did not expect. very nice.
- nice wrong-side manual at 0:42. didn't realize that happened until I RETYPED this, haha!
- nice moment at 0:43 too
- 0:49 was probably the most noticeable cool moment in the track - I noticed it on my first watchthrough and thought it was cool. green lines totally fooled me.
- 0:52 nice integration, it looks kinda magical how he jumps through the line that smoothly and quickly.
- great moment at 0:55, even better one at 0:56. how did you get him to do that?
- 0:59 green lines create a nice false expectation he will ride the line next. great.
- 1:05 love how he rides the wrong side. totally thought he would ride on the inside.
- nice space recycling at the end.

This track felt short and was short (0:55?), but it was sweet too. It had a lot of moments that I didn't catch how cool they were until I sat down and examined it, maybe because I don't actually make tracks as much as I wish I did. It had a lot of cool stuff that was easy to miss. It also felt pretty static throughout except that the first 10 seconds had the most focus and creativity, and the most noticeable moment was probably 0:49.

I was trying to think of what to tell you as far as critique, and I think the best thing you can do is to work on milking your cool little shenanigans more - in this track it's easy to miss lots of the cool stuff you're doing. Think about what gao did in WTM - almost like he was saying to the viewer "look at this awesome thing. you see it? okay, good. now look that this other cool thing. you see that? great. okay, look at this now." Don't hide the cool things you do - milk them for all they are worth and make sure we see them.

I think you're getting to the point where you can do lots of cool things on command, rather than stumbling on them through experimentation. Make a mental list or an actual list of things that look cool that you can do, and then try making deliberate decisions about what you are going to do next, and why. This will give your track a scope and a purpose, make it more of an experience, and maybe even give it something to say to us. Instead of just being a funky fresh track that's got great moves, it can be a funky fresh track with great moves that's also got something great to say to us. Kind of like the difference between a pretty girl and a great woman. (did I actually just type that yes I did) Often times this is accomplished with music syncing but it totally doesn't need to be, you just have to have some thoughts on where you want the track to take us, instead of plain old groovy fun experimentation.

Good Luck Very Happy
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 am

rabid squirrel wrote:- 0:22 is quite impressive, didn't notice how unusual that was until I sat down to examine this track one second at a time. was that just luck?
It was partial luck. I wanted him to recycle it, but I didn't expect him to flop over in the way he did. A bit of line boosting near the front of the manual helped keep him upright, which I could tweak, because he didn't actually use that part the first time around anyways.

rabid squirrel wrote:- 0:24 it was awesome how it felt like a freeze frame before he hit the tail well. hidden well in the line?
Absolutely. This was probably my personal favorite part of the track, if not just because no one's ever done the appearence of floating flatsled before. That was sort of the impression I was trying to give off at least.

rabid squirrel wrote:- great moment at 0:55, even better one at 0:56. how did you get him to do that?
That is the combination of a lot of luck, and a lot of line boosting.

rabid squirrel wrote:"look at this awesome thing. you see it? okay, good. now look that this other cool thing. you see that? great. okay, look at this now." Don't hide the cool things you do - milk them for all they are worth and make sure we see them.
This is one thing I've always found difficult. While I can do a lot of really cool stuff, I find it difficult to milk the stuff that I do. Part of this problem is just the fact that I really don't feel that it's naturally where I feel the track should go at the time, or that the really over exaggerated stuff will mess around with the aesthetic of the track that I'm trying to make work.

rabid squirrel wrote:music syncing
Give me another half year or so to finish. (Maybe longer, Iunno.)

Glad you liked it though, and part of the reason why I love these detailed reviews is because I know you're looking for all of the little cool doo dads I've left in there if you look hard enough.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:57 am

Opal Rider wrote:part of the reason why I love these detailed reviews is because I know you're looking for all of the little cool doo dads I've left in there if you look hard enough.
This is also why it's super easy to watch and just be like "okay that was fun" and leave it at that without noticing any of the cool doo dads
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down