We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion on music

+4
Fauxfyre
Helios Pavonine
Diotoxin
Opal Rider
8 posters

Go down

Discussion on music Empty Discussion on music

Post by Opal Rider Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am

I think we can all agree, to some point, that music now has a rather huge impact on Line Rider. We spend hours of our time looking around the web for the perfect tune to put overtop of our little tracks, and will tell someone if we felt we didn't feel it fit as well. However, there are many different ways that a song can be similar to any given track, so I was curious to ask the community what you guys think is most important when choosing the right song. Do you place the bpm over everything else? Maybe you try to pick a tone that you think would sound good, an equal combination of the two, or maybe something else entirely.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Discussion on music Empty Re: Discussion on music

Post by Diotoxin Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

I think that if I were to make a track and make music a main priority, I would go with feelings over anything else. If the music doesn't portray the emotions that I'm trying to get across with the track in the first place, then I'm not going to use it regardless. I've built a few tracks around a song I had in mind to use, but I found that by doing that I would sort of overload what I was trying to do. Changing the music in a track can completely alter the type of feelings that come out of watching it.

But if I were to pick a song for a track it would be completely based off of feelings and instinct, nothing technical.
Diotoxin
Diotoxin

Back to top Go down

Post by Helios Pavonine Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't spend hours searching. I don't tell if I didn't think the music fit.

However, I think you already answered your own question: the most important thing is that you choose the right song, whatever you like. At least that's what I do.
Helios Pavonine
Helios Pavonine

2nd place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:10 pm

I think music changes people's perception of a track too much. If they really like the song, the track can look loads better, but if they don't, they can hate a track. Music is an important part of the presentation, but I think people consider it too much? No offense really, but I find that strictly music synced tracks such as many of mine, or as an example of good tracks, Handlebars, Explosivo, Jam, and Cheetah, don't seem as good and are pretty awkward in many spots without the music.

Meanwhile, many incredible tracks are hated upon just because they disagree with the music, such as Eden 2, Multiverse, and Limitations (although IMO there were some technical things I didn't like about the last one, but many people hated on the music sync too).

Recently, I have grown to detest music sync, mostly because it is a pain to make, secondly because much of the time people will bitch about it, and third because it can distract from the actual value of the track. I don't know how to finish this rant, so I'm just going to end it like this.

Also, there's something I noticed a few months ago. Kramwood would have never chosen the song he did for Multiverse unless he wanted to force everyone to mute it and watch the track on its own, without any extra influence. People were too upset about the music that they failed to notice this, and thus let this alter the perception of the track negatively.

So personally, there needs to be a balance of having a track that syncs to the feel of the track, without completely eclipsing it or having it be hated upon.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I've grown to simply mute a track if I don't like the music and it does seem to give an entirely new view on the track itself. For instance, I really can't stand Jam's music even though it is a synchronized track and should be played with the music, but I simply don't want to. I won't listen to something I don't like just because a track is synced up to it. If it takes away from the experience of the track, why listen to it? I do this with every track with music I dislike and it really ups the entertainment value for me.

When I make tracks, like everyone nowadays I pick a song and then create a track around it. If it's a very chill song and relaxing, I'll design the track in such a way to match the tone; such as smooth, slow, low-pressure manuals and smooth flings. Synchronizing is in my opinion, in a sense just like power in that it is totally over-rated. Tracks that also try to make the audience 'feel' something often try way too hard and always over-dramatize the whole thing. Like Twilight. I'd rather just enjoy a track for the sake of enjoying a track, regardless of music or "emotion."
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm

This is the thread I was dreading would come about.

I will always choose a song around which to construct a track, then make the track to fit the song's changes in genre, tempo, or mood. It's impossible for me to just make a track without having some sort of framework or organisation, which is why music plays such an integral role in all of my tracks. To be frank, Handlebars was a shit track that capitalised on gimmickry with music syncing. I have far more technical skill, it's just that I can't be arsed to make a purely technical exposition without letting my aesthetic, music-oriented side hijack my trackmaking and sacrifice skill for presentation.
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:37 pm

I try to make the track fit the song as well, but once again, this can be done in many different ways. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is which aspect of the song do you MOST listen for when shaping the track?
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

I try to sync to the flow, 100% serious
:| 
If you don't have a music that feels the same pace as the track, or visa versa, then the track looks somewhat strange compared to the music.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by roflmaoqwerty Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 pm

I guess I'd say that the speed of the track has to match not necessarily the tempo, but the "liveliness" or "activity" of the song. Just as you wouldn't pick a chillout Bonobo song for a Sheldon-style XY, you wouldn't pick crazy Noisia neurofunk drum & bass for, say, one of your (Opal's) manuquirks. The genre isn't necessarily important; a driving, up-tempo metal song fits midspeed fling quirk just as well as a rolling DnB tune.

If you want the track to have a darker or lighter aesthete, then of course it's vital to pick a complementary song. For example, it's rather obvious why Shotoku avoided syncing Smile to some unholy Fleshgod Apocalypse über-death-metal song. On the other hand, the airy, carefree sounds of Nujabes or Tycho simply don't have the oomph required to complement some big masterpiece like Eden (either one) or Gone. In short, if a track is intended to portray a "vision" (ugh, there's that word again), the song should fit it in mood, regardless of track style.
roflmaoqwerty
roflmaoqwerty

Dreadnips are amazing goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/user/SujiNoriteLR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Shotoku wrote:I think people consider it too much?
This has always been me. Unless I'm strictly trying to sync a song to a track (which is rare) then I'll go with whatever sounds good. A lot of times I will have a spot in a track where the flow is kind of weird for a second, and will sync one moment of the song to that (e.g. near the end of Xasperated sYgh) by starting the track farther into the song than I normally would.
Cereal
Cereal
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by theacp127 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Now, I always try to get the right emotion that my track would give. Say if I were to make a super high speed track, then I would use a fast paced dubstep or hard rock song. Although if I were to make a floaty manual or quirk then I would use a mellow pop or something else that helps that "floaty" feel of that track. The music is all about the emotions, so appealing to those emotions that fit the track will make the presentation better.

If you look at some of my old tracks, you can see a good example of what not to do. Those upbeat techno songs did not fit the tracks and just feel awkward now.
theacp127
theacp127

trying real hard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down