We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^)

+6
Wizzy
Rafael
rabid squirrel
ACwazHere
Fauxfyre
LineMagiX
10 posters

Go down

Should we do another battle system/competition?

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_lcap27%NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_lcap33%NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 5 ]
NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_lcap40%NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 15

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Empty NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^)

Post by LineMagiX Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Rabid told me to post this.

Please take the time to read this. I spent a good hour and more thinking about it and typing it out. :P

This is an idea to increase activity and track-making on the site. Basically, what we'd do is revive the old battling system, but execute it better.

Remember in 2008/2009 when LineKirby came up with the idea of site-wide battling, in the form of a giant contest? When that happened, track-making spiked and a lot of AMAZING tracks were released because of it (Such as Integration and Infinite Brilliance).

Battling soon died though because the original award for getting the most battle points (winning the whole contest) was never given out. I think we should do the same thing, BUT make an award beforehand to show everyone that it's for real, and give members an incentive to try to come out on top! :P

Some ideas I had for possible awards are:
-A custom trophy for whoever wins (I'd be willing to make it in photoshop/illustrator)
And
-A temporary custom rank (orange or gold or something) for a month or a couple months.

If we do a trophy though, we should make it before we announce the battle contest, to show that it's concrete/for sure, unlike last time.

And for battle points, we should have a system for amount of points you get for every win, like last time. Maybe something like "If you win, you get an amount of points that equals ~half the amount of points the person you beat currently has. This will make it so there will be a bigger reward for beating people who are doing well in the contest. Wink And it will also get people to battle more.

Also, I really don't think EB3 will make us too busy to do this. Only one person can work on those tracks at a time, so we should be able to function pretty well with this going on over the summer as well. Thumbs Up Oh and if the staff feel too busy to run this, we can do elite battle mods like last time.

Discuss pls. ^^
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Empty Re: NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^)

Post by Fauxfyre Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 pm

But a difference between now and 2008 is that people are a lot slower making tracks now, I don't think this would speed things up at all, and would just slow down the trackmaking process even further for regular tracks.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^) Empty Re: NEW BATTLE SYSTEM (Idea to boost activity ^^)

Post by ACwazHere Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Sorry man, I had a response typed up (two days after you sent it, so I'm double sorry) in the PM but I went to class and it turns out I never hit send.

The problem with bringing features like this back is that everybody will be like "Yeah sure good idea!" but then nobody will actually want to do it. It'd be building a basketball court in a retirement home -- it will depress people because it exists and isn't used at all. If people actually want to battle, like more than one time, then it'll be worth it. If the majority are thinking "This is cool, maybe I'll do one but I don't really play much anymore", then we might as well just keep it informal and let people battle in the Engaged Riding forum. Otherwise we'll delete the forum again in two months and feel really shitty about our lives
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm

I'll be surprised if we get much interest, but if we do then I'm all for this.

Not a huge fan of the points, and I never understood it back then either. So I'd want a more clearly defined thing for that. I always felt like people made tracks back then just because they were making tracks anyway so they made it a battle and stuff. I mean, if I happen to make a track and call it a battle and it's better than some other guy... how does that make me deserve an award? This was the big reason nobody ever really got awards for this back then

EDIT: oh yeah and what AC said
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm

@ AC, it's all good man. :P

@ AC & Rabid: Yea I can see how it seems like it'd be a really good idea but also has the potential to flop. I guess it depends on if everyone is for it, and is actually willing to participate (at least some) throughout the whole thing
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Thu May 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I think the main reason for it to be succesful back then was because
- You had waay many people over your own skill level to choose to battle
- People didn't take 2-3 months to make a track, but more like 3-4 weeks (and those were the amazing tracks)

Apart from that, I don't really battle someone for an award. I think it's just fun to put your skills to the test against someone. I'd do it now but wouldn't be more motivated if it got more popular if you see what I mean.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm

If the objective is to increase activity, imo this is definitely not the way to do it. Last couple of months we were struggling with MOtM alone, that should tell you how much contests give an incentive to actually make tracks. Not to say this month is the same case, we've had quite a lot of entries fortunately :P

One possible way we could boost moral around these streets is we could have more collaborations, we could play Line Rider differently than how it is being played now (everything is very technical), or we could focus on the more artistic aspect with more encouragement for making scenery tracks. People could start making tracks tailored for people who like doing scenery. I know CC is always looking for tracks and always has a hard time finding decent scene-able criteria. These are just a few ideas we could try to get people up and running at a quicker pace again.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Danthedragonman Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 pm

I Want my turn drawing on the white thingy Smile
Danthedragonman
Danthedragonman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Maybe after unleashed comes out and we have a more active forum, we could impliment elo to encourage battling
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Chuggers wrote:Maybe after unleashed comes out and we have a more active forum
............sigh
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Thu May 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Chuggers wrote:Maybe after unleashed comes out and we have a more active forum, we could impliment elo to encourage battling

I can imagine it: WRTL vs STEAM vs LRU. EPIC BATTLE COLLAB GRAND ROYALE!
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuggers Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

rabid squirrel wrote:
............sigh

what are you sighing at?
Chuggers
Chuggers

villainous quirker

Community Pick: SYTYKC
Community Pick: Form

Back to top Go down

Post by Fauxfyre Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Chuggers wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:
............sigh

what are you sighing at?
It's not going to happen for a looooong time. Mhenr got our hopes up, but this doesn't seem like a really high priority for him, and thus is going to be delayed for way too long.

Fauxfyre

Featured Video: Blackheart

Back to top Go down

Post by LineMagiX Fri May 24, 2013 12:32 am

Okay maybe I was going about this wrong with the activity thing. ._.

Maybe it'd just be something fun to do for everyone that's already on the site.

..Ah well, I tried. 8D
LineMagiX
LineMagiX

The ghost of LR

Back to top Go down

Post by gaoyubao Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 am

~boo wrote:..Ah well, I tried. 8D

...and that's what's important!
gaoyubao
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel Fri May 24, 2013 1:25 am

Chuggers wrote:
rabid squirrel wrote:
............sigh

what are you sighing at?
1) unleashed won't be coming out anytime soon. I wonder if it will ever.

2) unleashed =/= more active forum all of a sudden.

3) people generally saying "let's wait until x magically happens before we do awesome thing y"
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum