What is the real problem with bumping?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Fauxfyre on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Okay, say I never wrote a review on Jam, and today I decided I wanted to, and I gave very good, quality feedback on the track. I would very likely get several :| s and people being annoyed at me for bumping it from the 3rd page back to the top. I noticed a lot of people who come to this site who bump old threads tend to not stick around because they get criticized for posting a comment on their favorite tracks. Heck, people have even been threatened to be banned for doing something as little as that.

My question, why would it be so much of a problem for me to bump a thread at long as I wasn't just spamming? I would like better answers than "because it is an old track and we've been done discussing that for months".

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by LineMagiX on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:43 pm

1. Often the topic is outdated and it's not always tracks.
2. I doubt many have left because of people yelling at them for bumping. We're a nice community.
3. It's a rule and people are reminded to read those after they join. i still haven't though olol

_________________

QUOTES:

@Cereal wrote:Hell yes ..since CC is being a little b*tch.

@rabid squirrel wrote:it's more dumb but less stupid

@Hedgehogs4Me wrote:Nigga you know what I meant.
Alright, seriously, let's stop this now before we set a bad example. xD


My super.sol download
(all of my recent tracks in one sol)
avatar
LineMagiX
Member

The ghost of LR


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Fauxfyre on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:48 pm

~boo wrote:1. Often the topic is outdated and it's not always tracks.
2. I doubt many have left because of people yelling at them for bumping. We're a nice community.
3. It's a rule and people are reminded to read those after they join. i still haven't though olol
1. If there is QUALITY information that somebody has to post that relates to the topic and can revitalize the discussion, is it still a problem?
2. I just don't see a lot of people who come around that bump threads stick around after the admins tell them to stop bumping.
3. Relates to my original question. Why does this NEED to be a rule? That's what I want to know.

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by LineMagiX on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Idk i just think you're making a big(ger) deal out of nothing so im not even going to refute/take it any further. =/ Seems like you're just pushing for "the rule has no point and does more hard than good." Yea it was meant more for when we were alot more active but I don't it driving anybody away. Totally up to the admins (well just rabid lol), but at the same time it's not really a big deal

_________________

QUOTES:

@Cereal wrote:Hell yes ..since CC is being a little b*tch.

@rabid squirrel wrote:it's more dumb but less stupid

@Hedgehogs4Me wrote:Nigga you know what I meant.
Alright, seriously, let's stop this now before we set a bad example. xD


My super.sol download
(all of my recent tracks in one sol)
avatar
LineMagiX
Member

The ghost of LR


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Fauxfyre on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 pm

So... It's okay if I post a comment on Jam?

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Mephisto on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:33 pm

If in doubt, send a PM to whoever made Jam.

On a related and entertaining note, I just read this:

@Th3ManicRider wrote:Oops i bumped this post sorry admins Guest

Dat crafty username code. Confused the crap outta me.

Mephisto
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by gaoyubao on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:49 pm

^ Whaaa?

/theironywhensomeonebumpsthisthread

_________________
avatar
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by rabid squirrel on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Ok, so let's explain a few things

1) bumping is bad when the topic is no longer relevant. Aka nobody's posted in it in a while so few people care about it anymore
2) If you have a considerable contribution and would like to resurrect a thread, bumping is PERFECTLY FINE. Though it's recommended to say "BUMP cuz [reason]" or something explaining why you're bumping it, and it shouldn't be so old that it causes nostalgia, lol.
3) Bumping is never ok if you do not add anything to the conversation. even if it's only a week or so old, if all you say is "nice job" then people are going to be :|
4) A general rule of thumb is under a week is pretty much always fine, under two weeks is fine if you've got something relevant to say, and a month is fine if you have a reason for resurrecting the thread. Beyond that, you might as well start a new topic.
6) If it's concerning a TRACK, we suggest you either PM the maker or post a comment on youtube, rather than bumping the thread.
7) The biggest Stern but Fair we have about bumping is when newbies join and immediately comment on a bunch of old tracks they like, shoving topics that are months old to the top of the forum section and into the new posts feed. That's when staff have to break out the "read the rules plz" PMs and stuff.
8) If I could, I would lock threads that were more than 6 weeks old automatically. Sadly, I can't.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Fauxfyre on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Hmmm I just go to thinking after a convo I had on another site. I was thinking why there was such a big deal about bumps here and not on the other site. Got a completely different response here but whatever.

I'm not trying to find an excuse to bump [censored], I was just wondering why it was such a big deal to everybody.

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Cereal on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Idk how to explain it any better than Rabid. You just don't do it unless you specify with a reason. If it's a few months old, you better have a fricken good reason. :|

_________________
Times They Are A-Changin'  

>>The Ph Series<<
EXPLOSIVO

Words of Wisdom:

@OTDE wrote:Be active and we'll love you forever. Make tracks and we'll love you five-ever.

@FlagCapper wrote:How is a Quirk a Quirk when it becomes more of the same?

Eric Cartman wrote:If you want to find some quality friends, you've gotta wait through all the dicks first.

avatar
Cereal
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Fauxfyre on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 am

In light of recent events, I was reminded of this thread lol

also this
@gaoyubao wrote:/theironywhensomeonebumpsthisthread
I cracked up

and also just for fun
http://iridethelines.forumotion.com/t10554-you-can-now-bump-track-threads
Don't think this applies to the WRTL Center, but still :P

Fauxfyre
Member

Featured Video: Blackheart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:33 am

^ doesn't apply to wrtl center. only track release threads. and not previews/tidbits etc

also this thread is 3 years old...

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the real problem with bumping?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum