On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Kohuda on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 am

Imagine you had a piece of paper. Now, imagine a pencil with a set width which never runs out. You really like using that pencil, because it's a nice, warm way of making art.

But, some people are trying find new ways in using the paper. Like folding it, painting it, or just trying other pencil sizes.

Why would they do that, when they've already got a perfectly working pencil?

Because they want to find new ways to express themselves.

Do you really want to punish those who think different?


(I'm really not good at writing these kinda things, but you get the point.)

_________________
You make 0% of the breads you don't bake.

avatar
Kohuda
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Oh dear. Why is it that you keep writing novels in response to my (relatively simple) points, mhenr? Well, here we go.
@mhenr18 wrote:What, 40 people playing LR in 2012 after 50 million played in 2007? More people play SimCity 4 and it was released in 2003. Why? It's got enough complexity to still be different each time and be enjoyable every time. LR doesn't right now. It's *too* simple (juggling 3 balls is too simple, which is why the art of juggling comes from doing more than that, and not just juggling 3 balls in different ways).
No... that's definitely not the reason. The reason is because people still see it as a distracting flash game rather than an art medium, and I think we can agree that's what it is (an art medium).
@mhenr18 wrote:Adding more to LR right now is like taking the idea of an instrument with holes in it that you blow air through and going from a recorder to a flute. The first one's ok, but by adding more you create an amazing instrument that's far more expressive than a recorder.
Yes, but just adding more means from expression to something that is already misunderstood as a distracting flash game... Maybe you'll prove me wrong, but I don't think the public perception will change.
@mhenr18 wrote:A Flash 6.8 can't fix any of the issues I addressed. If it could, do you think I wouldn't have done it back when I wrote 6.7?
A flash 6.8 that fixes as many problems as possible would be great. A 6.8 programmed in something better would also be great. But nobody is making either.
@mhenr18 wrote:I'm not making a whole new game. Unbound was a whole new game. This isn't. The physics engine is identical. The collision system is identical. All the line types from 6.7 are there. There's only one rider. That rider looks identical to 6.7. Which is because he is identical. This keeps everything from 6.7, except for the bad things (the big paragraph I posted about the failings of flash - that's what it doesn't have). Hell, I have a build of 6.2 on my machine that exports tracks into Unleashed format. Everything except obscene g-well stuff works. The only reason the extreme stuff doesn't work is that while the math libraries in the new version are consistent across all platforms, they aren't 100% identical to the Flash ones so going from Flash->Unleashed doesn't always work (it's like going from FP9->FP10, the less extreme stuff works but abusing the engine with g-wells will cause tracks to break when you change player versions).
So.... basically just adding features, right? Why not make a version where you don't add any features, and THEN try to work on adding features?
@mhenr18 wrote:This feels identical to 6.7 (except better because the render engine smooths out the 40fps output of the simulator and shows you 60fps which looks sexy - yes you can turn it off if you want to view the actual frames but there's not much reason to bother). You just have far more flexibility and power than you've ever had with track making, because you now have access to lines that don't g-well (as well as normal single-sided g-welling lines). You know how I was contemplating shaded scenery with all that jazz? I'm not any more because I watched LRG's masterpiece (breathtaking something, I forget) and thought, holy crap seeing that and realising that that's just all lines of the same type, that's cool. What I am doing is adding a fill line. Draw a shape with fill lines (the snapping helps here, you don't waste time trying to make sure the whole thing's closed) and boom, LR fills the box with normal scenery lines and replace the fill lines with scenery lines. It doesn't take "skill" to fill a box, so I'm speeding up the process. Because you don't get lag any more, you can use really (really) short scenery lines and pull off a LOT more now without things grinding to a halt.
You can draw a face with ink, so why do people draw a face with ink DOTS? Pointillism - why does it exist?

Also, do you mean we have access to frames that don't actually affect Bosh? So 40 frames affect him and 20 don't? This sounds like a quirking nightmare. Even if it's 60 frames that affect Bosh, that sounds like a nightmare for quirk too - a nightmare of trying to add a well, and a nightmare of trying to watch it on youtube when you can only see every other frame, and a nightmare when the same amount of work makes 60% of track. If I had any say, I'd make it run at 30fps so that it would be possible to see every frame on youtube.
@mhenr18 wrote:I'm not totally deaf to people's requests/concerns, but I'm not blind to the need to do more with LR (you might not see this "need", but that's exactly the point. there's no one requesting this stuff because the people who wanted it all requested it years ago then left when nothing happened). I have to juggle both of these things, and a "6.8" isn't doing that (regardless of whether it's Flash or a full rewrite of 6.7 with no other changes).
If you're not deaf to people's requests, you would see all the requests for a 6.8.

Do you think people will come back because things they wanted three years ago have finally been implemented?

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Cereal on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok ok, I'm all ups for new versions of LR that run on something other than flash that have different tools/physics and such.

It doesn't hurt to try something new.

_________________
Times They Are A-Changin'  

>>The Ph Series<<
EXPLOSIVO

Words of Wisdom:

@OTDE wrote:Be active and we'll love you forever. Make tracks and we'll love you five-ever.

@FlagCapper wrote:How is a Quirk a Quirk when it becomes more of the same?

Eric Cartman wrote:If you want to find some quality friends, you've gotta wait through all the dicks first.

avatar
Cereal
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by NachoGrande96 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 pm

I kinda like the idea of two-sided lines. I tried out LR Python and now I think I'm addicted to nose/tail hangs.

As for the whole debate over whether or not there should be new features, I say we give the new features a chance. It's not like the old lines are going away. I mean, I was doing the same thing on LRB3 before I got the 6.7 standalone. I just didn't use the decel/trapdoor lines.

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Z_N-Freak on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:This feels identical to 6.7 (except better because the render engine smooths out the 40fps output of the simulator and shows you 60fps which looks sexy - yes you can turn it off if you want to view the actual frames but there's not much reason to bother). You just have far more flexibility and power than you've ever had with track making, because you now have access to lines that don't g-well (as well as normal single-sided g-welling lines). You know how I was contemplating shaded scenery with all that jazz? I'm not any more because I watched LRG's masterpiece (breathtaking something, I forget) and thought, holy crap seeing that and realising that that's just all lines of the same type, that's cool. What I am doing is adding a fill line. Draw a shape with fill lines (the snapping helps here, you don't waste time trying to make sure the whole thing's closed) and boom, LR fills the box with normal scenery lines and replace the fill lines with scenery lines. It doesn't take "skill" to fill a box, so I'm speeding up the process. Because you don't get lag any more, you can use really (really) short scenery lines and pull off a LOT more now without things grinding to a halt.
You can draw a face with ink, so why do people draw a face with ink DOTS? Pointillism - why does it exist?

Also, do you mean we have access to frames that don't actually affect Bosh? So 40 frames affect him and 20 don't? This sounds like a quirking nightmare. Even if it's 60 frames that affect Bosh, that sounds like a nightmare for quirk too - a nightmare of trying to add a well, and a nightmare of trying to watch it on youtube when you can only see every other frame, and a nightmare when the same amount of work makes 60% of track. If I had any say, I'd make it run at 30fps so that it would be possible to see every frame on youtube.

Sigh, rabid. I feel you are losing your cool man. Read his post again and you see he said: "(except better because the render engine smooths out the 40fps output of the simulator and shows you 60fps which looks sexy - yes you can turn it off if you want to view the actual frames but there's not much reason to bother)

I really feel you are a bit too on the conservative side here. It would be awesome if something at least happens. Fighting for a 6.8 seems really futile to me. We have 6.7 which is ok and all. Putting a lot of effort into that to make the 6.8 is what is considered "not worth it". Presumebly, because it's too hard to fix all the bugs, since (if I understand mhenr correctly), you'd have to keep using flash. And Flash apparantly sucks. This is what I got out of reading through this topic, don't hate me for it and try to be a little bit more understanding.

_________________
c: 1815_1382_1
l: 3198 / ?
r: 10714
s: 85.516
t: 106 / 235
u: 2015100514
avatar
Z_N-Freak
Member

Off-sled Action


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

@Z_N-Freak wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:This feels identical to 6.7 (except better because the render engine smooths out the 40fps output of the simulator and shows you 60fps which looks sexy - yes you can turn it off if you want to view the actual frames but there's not much reason to bother). You just have far more flexibility and power than you've ever had with track making, because you now have access to lines that don't g-well (as well as normal single-sided g-welling lines).
Also, do you mean we have access to frames that don't actually affect Bosh? So 40 frames affect him and 20 don't? This sounds like a quirking nightmare. Even if it's 60 frames that affect Bosh, that sounds like a nightmare for quirk too - a nightmare of trying to add a well, and a nightmare of trying to watch it on youtube when you can only see every other frame, and a nightmare when the same amount of work makes 60% of track. If I had any say, I'd make it run at 30fps so that it would be possible to see every frame on youtube.
Sigh, rabid. I feel you are losing your cool man. Read his post again and you see he said: "(except better because the render engine smooths out the 40fps output of the simulator and shows you 60fps which looks sexy - yes you can turn it off if you want to view the actual frames but there's not much reason to bother)
Oh, I see, sorry. I still feel uncomfortable with that but I guess it's unmerited. turn it to 40fps for quirking/trackmaking, turn it back to 60fps for playback.

I would be one to vouch for having 30fps and smoothing that to 60fps (would end up looking like this speed but if you turned 60fps on it would be smoother) but I don't think many people are on my side with that.

(wait, losing my cool? You know that means snapping and getting mad, right? e.g. getting mad at a troll would be losing your cool - I'm confused)

@Z_N-Freak wrote:I really feel you are a bit too on the conservative side here. It would be awesome if something at least happens. Fighting for a 6.8 seems really futile to me. We have 6.7 which is ok and all. Putting a lot of effort into that to make the 6.8 is what is considered "not worth it". Presumebly, because it's too hard to fix all the bugs, since (if I understand mhenr correctly), you'd have to keep using flash. And Flash apparantly sucks. This is what I got out of reading through this topic, don't hate me for it and try to be a little bit more understanding.
I'm arguing for it because it wouldn't be a lot of effort - mhenr agreed with me it would be fast and simple.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Kohuda on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Let Mhenr decide how much he wants to do. It's his decision. .-.

_________________
You make 0% of the breads you don't bake.

avatar
Kohuda
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by mhenr18 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 pm

It would only be fast and simple because I would only be able to do a quarter of the things you wanted for a 6.8 (due to flash)

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by [senpai] kevans on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Kohuded wrote:Imagine you had a piece of paper. Now, imagine a pencil with a set width which never runs out. You really like using that pencil, because it's a nice, warm way of making art.

But, some people are trying find new ways in using the paper. Like folding it, painting it, or just trying other pencil sizes.

Why would they do that, when they've already got a perfectly working pencil?

Because they want to find new ways to express themselves.

Do you really want to punish those who think different?


(I'm really not good at writing these kinda things, but you get the point.)

You said it in the best way possible. Very Happy
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by GhostY on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

a fill tool would make me soo much happier xD

_________________
avatar
GhostY
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by mhenr18 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:I would be one to vouch for having 30fps and smoothing that to 60fps (would end up looking like this speed but if you turned 60fps on it would be smoother) but I don't think many people are on my side with that.

You do realise that that would totally destroy the physics model.

I know what I'm doing with this frame interpolation stuff - when Unleashed hits beta you'll see what I mean. It's jaw droppingly good.

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 am

@mhenr18 wrote:It would only be fast and simple because I would only be able to do a quarter of the things you wanted for a 6.8 (due to flash)
Once again, all of these things can be done in flash:
Spoiler:
  • Tab Key: In 6.2, tab zooms out to show the whole track in the screen. When pressed again, it zoomed back in to the previous zoom level, at wherever the mouse was. This feature was missing in 6.7.
  • Slow Blinking: Make Bosh blink slower in slow motion, so when he is recorded in slow motion and then sped up he isn't blinking super fast.
  • Fix broken sled: If you go off sled, mark a flag, the sled breaks, and then you press play, the sled doesn't fix itself and is still broken. Fix this.
  • Disable hotkeys when viewing the help page (except for H of course, so you can get back). This will prevent people from getting stuck on the help page and having to close Line Rider, losing work.
  • Ability to draw inside the start button
  • Sometimes tools besides the pencil tool act like the pencil tool. Causes unclear.
  • Fix the speedometer: It's accurate if you are traveling to the lower right or upper left, but if you travel to the lower left or upper right, no matter your speed, it's nearly zero.
  • Frame Counter: The timer, when clicked, would change into a frame counter, which would start at 0 and add 1 every frame, and would change back if you clicked it again. This would be very helpful for speed contests and challenges. A third mode would be great too, that would show seconds:frames/40. (e.g. 12:37 = 12 seconds, 37 frames) Clicking on it could cycle through these three.
  • Recording Mode: When a certain key is pressed (you pick) the game would shift into "recording mode" and run at 2 fps until the key is pressed again.
  • Auto Slow Motion: When you are in play mode and in slow motion and press Y, have Bosh start in slow motion.
  • More Deletion Safety: Have the game ask you "Are you sure?" when you either delete a save, or load a save when the current opened track has unsaved changes.
  • XY snap Mid-Draw: If you start drawing a line, then press X, have the line snap to XY.
  • Sticky Color Eraser: Once you've shift+clicked into color eraser, stay in color eraser whenever you select the eraser tool until you shift+click on it again.
  • Update the help page so it actually covers everything.
  • Autosaving: Recover progress if the game freezes or you accidentally close it or whatever.
  • Scenery Wiping: Shift+click on green swatch in color eraser, after a prompt all scenery is erased.
  • Flag Lock: Shift+click on a flag locks it, so it can't be pressed normally (a visual cue would be nice, like an X over it), Shift+click again to unlock it, then it works normally again.
  • Make Scroll Zoom and Play Mode Zoom go in all the way as if you were using the actual zoom tool
  • When you delete a track and start a new one, when you click to save make the box blank, so you don't accidentally save over the last save.
  • Save the flag when you save the track
Pretty sure that's a large enough list to be more than a trivial update that doesn't cover most of what I would like (and if you come up with 3x that many improvements you can make to 6.7 by switching to C, without adding features, I will be very impressed)
@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:I would be one to vouch for having 30fps and smoothing that to 60fps (would end up looking like this speed but if you turned 60fps on it would be smoother) but I don't think many people are on my side with that.

You do realise that that would totally destroy the physics model.
but 40 to 60 won't?

like I said, it would look like this speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqgZqiij44
which is slightly slower, so you could see all the active frames on youtube, but exactly the same physics model as whatever you're doing smoothing frames from 40 to 60, except with 30 to 60. Wouldn't destroy anything, but many people will probably disagree with me because at full speed it would run at 3/4 speed of current "perfect" recordings.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by [senpai] kevans on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:but 40 to 60 won't?

Do you remember what my HD version does? It only speeds it up. If I was to make a 60 fps version I would have to change one of the physics variables (NOT THE ENDURANCE LIKE IN HAX) so it would look like it's moving at the same speed. However, this will result in different physics. These new physics are neither hax or 6.7. This would mean something like 9.0 if you want to get technical.

If you want rabid, I can experiment with this and release a new version early and let you name it what you want, this version can be done real fast.
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am

kevansevans wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:but 40 to 60 won't?
Do you remember what my HD version does? It only speeds it up. If I was to make a 60 fps version I would have to change one of the physics variables (NOT THE ENDURANCE LIKE IN HAX) so it would look like it's moving at the same speed. However, this will result in different physics. These new physics are neither hax or 6.7. This would mean something like 9.0 if you want to get technical.
Then how come mhenr says there are 40 actual fps, while it appears to run at 60fps? This is what ZNF pointed out to me.

And this is why I'm uneasy about it, because it's confusing and I worry people won't understand it.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by mhenr18 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 am

I use interpolation to smooth the output, using the same theory that your HDTV uses to smooth 60Hz video into 120Hz. That's how I do it while maintaining the exact same physics engine.

This is way more advanced than any flash version - its a totally new architecture from the ground up that allows this to happen. All that you have to worry about is enjoying the jaw droppingly smooth playback. There's nothing to be confused by - it just works.

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

@mhenr18 wrote:I use interpolation to smooth the output, using the same theory that your HDTV uses to smooth 60Hz video into 120Hz. That's how I do it while maintaining the exact same physics engine.

This is way more advanced than any flash version - its a totally new architecture from the ground up that allows this to happen. All that you have to worry about is enjoying the jaw droppingly smooth playback. There's nothing to be confused by - it just works.
Just checking...

1) if I want to play it in slow motion, it shows the individual frames right? Watch splash (or anyone) quirk on the stream and you'll realize the importance.

2) it would be possible to run the game at 30fps instead of 40, and then smooth that to 60? Could you add an option for 30fps-speed exporting video? Because I love 30fps playback for scened tracks a lot of the time because it's nice and smooth on youtube (again, it's actually 3/4 speed what the timer says)

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by [senpai] kevans on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
kevansevans wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:but 40 to 60 won't?
Do you remember what my HD version does? It only speeds it up. If I was to make a 60 fps version I would have to change one of the physics variables (NOT THE ENDURANCE LIKE IN HAX) so it would look like it's moving at the same speed. However, this will result in different physics. These new physics are neither hax or 6.7. This would mean something like 9.0 if you want to get technical.
Then how come mhenr says there are 40 actual fps, while it appears to run at 60fps? This is what ZNF pointed out to me.

And this is why I'm uneasy about it, because it's confusing and I worry people won't understand it.

V that V

@mhenr18 wrote:I use interpolation to smooth the output, using the same theory that your HDTV uses to smooth 60Hz video into 120Hz. That's how I do it while maintaining the exact same physics engine.

This is way more advanced than any flash version - its a totally new architecture from the ground up that allows this to happen. All that you have to worry about is enjoying the jaw droppingly smooth playback. There's nothing to be confused by - it just works.

Honestly, when you are so used to seeing 30 fps and below and suddenly see perfect 40 fps every single time... it looks like it's 60. it's like instant ecstasy.
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Hedgehogs4Me on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:1) if I want to play it in slow motion, it shows the individual frames right? Watch splash (or anyone) quirk on the stream and you'll realize the importance.
I talked him into making a setting for this a while ago, so you can see it either way. In other words, interpolation is optional.

@rabid squirrel wrote:2) it would be possible to run the game at 30fps instead of 40, and then smooth that to 60? Could you add an option for 30fps-speed exporting video? Because I love 30fps playback for scened tracks a lot of the time because it's nice and smooth on youtube (again, it's actually 3/4 speed what the timer says)
Changing it being based on 30 fps would make the physics quite different, and would also require changing of a lot of 40fps-based equations and variables to be realistic (for example, the gravity is based on accelerating downwards by a certain amount per frame).
I really don't want to have to re-learn everything just so you can have a convenient 30fps environment. =/
I'm sure a variable framerate for exported video will be one of the first things that he'll include when he gets around to actually having options for video exporting, though.



EDIT: Not sure if people are actually confused about the "40 actual fps" thing, but if they are, I'll explain it to the best of my ability.
Imagine LR running at 40 fps. This is the maximum framerate that it actually calculates. That is, adding new frames past this won't change anything physics-wise.
Now, unfortunately, our eyes like working in units of 30-or-so fps. This is extremely inconvenient for everyone, but trying to smack sense into your eyes will only make things worse for everyone.
The solution is, from what I understand, to take every third frame (or more often, depending on how much it's slowed down for slomo and such), and every contact point position involved in that frame, and the contact point positioning involved in the next frame, and making something in between those, aka interpolating. Then it calculates Bosh's body position for those contact points like it usually does, and then renders that. Then it inserts those frames, and pushes everything around so that you get an even framerate of 60 fps. This sounds like it'll look horrendously bad, with spurts of motion and such, but it actually looks better to our eyes.
Unfortunately, while this may look great for watching, it's not so great for actually making tracks, because those contact points can't be pulled at all during those interpolated frames (which could be confusing as nuts in a fruit basket, I imagine), or it'd change the physics completely. Therefore, there's the option to turn off interpolating.

_________________
What do I believe?


avatar
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:39 pm

^ sorry, couldn't you just, before the frames are interpolated, change the fps so it runs at 30fps OR 40fps (whichever you choose)? I'm not asking you to redesign the physics engine, I'm asking you to have an option for the exact same physics engine to run at 3/4 speed (but with the interpolation to 60fps still happening - actually easier because it's not half the frames being interpolated, it's all of them, exactly once)

Does that make sense?

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by WishLine on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm at a loss to understand why the community feels such tension about development for Line Rider like it does.

Surely revisions 6.1 and 6.2 were what brought most people in, and any developer taking up their time to develop further is good. They can include what features they like, and if the demand is not there, it becomes clear when people don't swap and stick with previous versions. That's how progress can me made. Incrementally. Poor Mhenr shouldn't feel like he's being constantly nagged all the time...am I right in thinking he's a volunteer?

The simple fact of the matter is the community needs to sort out what matters more. A progressive approach for new features or a conservative approach to stick with and improve the old ones. Voting and discussion are the best ways to determine this.

A secondary question is whether the aim is to improve the experiences of the hard core or attract newcomers. What is more important to you guys? Again - voting and discussion. Not argument.

The community isn't very big. The least that can be done is to focus back in on the 'unity' part...surely?

(Please don't bite my head off)

_________________

I've got a new track rating system in development. Feel free to PM me a track for a feedback score out of 100 and help me improve my accuracy! Very Happy
Contact me if you need any help, or just to say hi! Smile Have a nice day, Guest!

WishLine
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm

@WishLine wrote:The simple fact of the matter is the community needs to sort out what matters more. A progressive approach for new features or a conservative approach to stick with and improve the old ones. Voting and discussion are the best ways to determine this.
It's not an either-or thing. I don't mind if the former happens as long as the latter happens as well (since it's pretty silly to have the former WITHOUT the latter, since the latter is just basically the former with less work)

@WishLine wrote:A secondary question is whether the aim is to improve the experiences of the hard core or attract newcomers. What is more important to you guys? Again - voting and discussion. Not argument.
Again, not an either-or thing. Of course we all want both.

The question I keep posing is this: Do you think this new version with lots of new features will do EITHER? I have doubts.

EDIT: on a side note, I think you're probably right that I'm nagging mhenr a little too much. Sorry mhenr, if I ever come across as whiny or annoying I don't mean it that way. I'd much rather you released 6.8 than Unleashed, but I'd also much rather you release Unleashed than nothing at all.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by KillinTime2792 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:^ sorry, couldn't you just, before the frames are interpolated, change the fps so it runs at 30fps OR 40fps (whichever you choose)? I'm not asking you to redesign the physics engine
you kinda are.

@rabid squirrel wrote:The question I keep posing is this: Do you think this new version with lots of new features will do EITHER? I have doubts.
we ALL know you have doubts, you've been voicing them non-stop for the past week. just chill a little, mhenr knows what he's doing.

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

@KillinTime2792 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:^ sorry, couldn't you just, before the frames are interpolated, change the fps so it runs at 30fps OR 40fps (whichever you choose)? I'm not asking you to redesign the physics engine
you kinda are.
No, I'm definitely not. It's basically just capping the fps at 30 instead of 40 (optional ofc) but is a little more complicated with frame interpolation

And sorry, maybe I should chill a little >.< But people keep posting things that show a lack of understanding.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Rafael on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Is it that hard to understand rabid? ._. I can totally understand what he means. He just wants a playback at the SPEED of 30 fps..
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by TheRevTastic on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@KillinTime2792 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:^ sorry, couldn't you just, before the frames are interpolated, change the fps so it runs at 30fps OR 40fps (whichever you choose)? I'm not asking you to redesign the physics engine
you kinda are.
No, I'm definitely not. It's basically just capping the fps at 30 instead of 40 (optional ofc) but is a little more complicated with frame interpolation

And sorry, maybe I should chill a little >.< But people keep posting things that show a lack of understanding.

I don't think you understand enough to know what will happen if something like that gets changes. I doubt you can change the frames before they are "interpolated".

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: On the addition of new game-changing features in LR:C

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum