Changing the "savedLines" to something

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should savedLines be something else?

54% 54% 
[ 7 ]
46% 46% 
[ 6 ]
 
Total Votes : 13

Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by [senpai] kevans on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey, okay as some of you know, this new line rider I'm making has a bunch new line types (each shade is it's own). One of the problems this creates is if you load this new version in a older version, it would crash if the track has anything more than just blue, red, or green (black in this build). so please fill in this poll and if you want suggest names for it.
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Lankher on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes, rename it to something else to not mess anything up.


_________________
FreakingKoalaMan wrote:well freaking hipster genius over here oh herp a derp look at me i'm kramwood
avatar
Lankher
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Yobanjojoe on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm

like 8.0 was betalines or something.

_________________
Where am I



avatar
Yobanjojoe
Member

swag


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by TheRevTastic on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Also [censored] make it save the lines somewhere so on every windows reformat I do I don't have to go into >9000 folders to get there.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Lankher on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:57 pm

@TheRevTastic wrote:Also [censored] make it save the lines somewhere so on every windows reformat I do I don't have to go into >9000 folders to get there.

Retard, learn to shortcut.

_________________
FreakingKoalaMan wrote:well freaking hipster genius over here oh herp a derp look at me i'm kramwood
avatar
Lankher
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Cereal on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Don't change what we're all so familiar with.

Also if it works, don't change it xD

_________________
Times They Are A-Changin'  

>>The Ph Series<<
EXPLOSIVO

Words of Wisdom:

@OTDE wrote:Be active and we'll love you forever. Make tracks and we'll love you five-ever.

@FlagCapper wrote:How is a Quirk a Quirk when it becomes more of the same?

Eric Cartman wrote:If you want to find some quality friends, you've gotta wait through all the dicks first.

avatar
Cereal
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by TheRevTastic on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:58 pm

@Lankher wrote:
@TheRevTastic wrote:Also [censored] make it save the lines somewhere so on every windows reformat I do I don't have to go into >9000 folders to get there.

Retard, learn to shortcut.

I take it you didn't read the windows reformat part.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Stallie on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:32 pm

@Cereal wrote:Don't change what we're all so familiar with.

Also if it works, don't change it xD

I agree.
avatar
Stallie
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by rabid squirrel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 pm

@Cereal wrote:Don't change what we're all so familiar with.

Also if it works, don't change it xD
yes

also, this has always been an issue, we've got along just fine. 6.7, 6.3, 6.2, and 6.1 are all partially incompatible (though, not all the time... sometimes they work fine. I blame mhenr :|)

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by mhenr18 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@Cereal wrote:Don't change what we're all so familiar with.

Also if it works, don't change it xD
yes

also, this has always been an issue, we've got along just fine. 6.7, 6.3, 6.2, and 6.1 are all partially incompatible (though, not all the time... sometimes they work fine. I blame mhenr :|)

I blame the decompiler :|

Change it so that it uses an "index" .sol to store the names of all saved tracks and then save each track using a different .sol.

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 am

^ now, THAT would be GREAT. each save = separate file? that would be so nice. just throw all the saves you want into the folder, open up the game! Very Happy

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by mhenr18 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:06 am

because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 am

@mhenr18 wrote:because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink
oh I see. I think that might actually be worse than the current system if people meddled with the files (which we do all the time) and discrepancies developed... handling those situations would be a nightmare if I know anything about coding...

And it would be MUCH more complex to try to upload/download a .sol with multiple saves (would have to be a package) and to do soemthing like "oh, I want to open up this file, that has 20 saves in it, I need the right index file and ALL of the files for the saves"

Yeah, I've changed my mind, that is a very bad idea.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by mhenr18 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink
oh I see. I think that might actually be worse than the current system if people meddled with the files (which we do all the time) and discrepancies developed... handling those situations would be a nightmare if I know anything about coding...

And it would be MUCH more complex to try to upload/download a .sol with multiple saves (would have to be a package) and to do soemthing like "oh, I want to open up this file, that has 20 saves in it, I need the right index file and ALL of the files for the saves"

Yeah, I've changed my mind, that is a very bad idea.

the index sol would be purely names - you would just enter in names of other tracks if you wanted access to them
(you wouldnt share it)

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 am

@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink
oh I see. I think that might actually be worse than the current system if people meddled with the files (which we do all the time) and discrepancies developed... handling those situations would be a nightmare if I know anything about coding...

And it would be MUCH more complex to try to upload/download a .sol with multiple saves (would have to be a package) and to do soemthing like "oh, I want to open up this file, that has 20 saves in it, I need the right index file and ALL of the files for the saves"

Yeah, I've changed my mind, that is a very bad idea.

the index sol would be purely names - you would just enter in names of other tracks if you wanted access to them
(you wouldnt share it)
but that would involve opening it (but not the others) with certain programs (but not others) making the localhost folder more complicated instead of less complicated.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by mhenr18 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink
oh I see. I think that might actually be worse than the current system if people meddled with the files (which we do all the time) and discrepancies developed... handling those situations would be a nightmare if I know anything about coding...

And it would be MUCH more complex to try to upload/download a .sol with multiple saves (would have to be a package) and to do soemthing like "oh, I want to open up this file, that has 20 saves in it, I need the right index file and ALL of the files for the saves"

Yeah, I've changed my mind, that is a very bad idea.

the index sol would be purely names - you would just enter in names of other tracks if you wanted access to them
(you wouldnt share it)
but that would involve opening it (but not the others) with certain programs (but not others) making the localhost folder more complicated instead of less complicated.

I can't understand a word you just wrote.

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:but that would involve opening it [index.sol] (but not the others [individual save files]) with certain programs [say, emacs] (but not others [say, textedit]) making the localhost folder more complicated instead of less complicated. [there is now the additional step of modifying the index.sol file in order to open a track, and this would seriously annoy people who aren't familiar with programming already]

I can't understand a word you just wrote.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by mhenr18 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:but that would involve opening it [index.sol] (but not the others [individual save files]) with certain programs [say, emacs] (but not others [say, textedit]) making the localhost folder more complicated instead of less complicated. [there is now the additional step of modifying the index.sol file in order to open a track, and this would seriously annoy people who aren't familiar with programming already]

I can't understand a word you just wrote.
it would take kevin two seconds to add a box to type in the name of a .sol to add to the index lol

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by KillinTime2792 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am

erhem.

I vote change the name, perhaps "storedLines.sol" or "indexedLines.sol"

or maybe even "SavedLines.sol" (you know, with an actual capital at the start instead of the lowercase s it is now)

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by [senpai] kevans on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:41 pm

@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:
@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:but that would involve opening it [index.sol] (but not the others [individual save files]) with certain programs [say, emacs] (but not others [say, textedit]) making the localhost folder more complicated instead of less complicated. [there is now the additional step of modifying the index.sol file in order to open a track, and this would seriously annoy people who aren't familiar with programming already]

I can't understand a word you just wrote.
it would take kevan two seconds to add a box to type in the name of a .sol to add to the index lol

^This is what I was thinking.

So basically I make the save/load menu read a sol with a list of all made tracks. Then, for each track that's actually made, it creates it's own sol... OR I make it so it saves every track as a separate sol, and you have to type in what it's called.

amirite? Inverted Onoz
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by SethComposerGuy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm

@mhenr18 wrote:because flash applications arent able to scan the localhost folder (if they could itd be a security nightmare), youd need an "index.sol" file that LR uses to tell it what tracks its got saved. you'd have to manually enter in the filenames of newly added tracks to let LR know they exist.

either way, it's not going to be as convenient as a simple OS save/load panel Wink

About that last section, I'm not sure if this is how you envisioned it, but when you open a track where it shows a list of all the saved tracks based on whats in the index.sol file, you could also include the option to manually type in a new name of a track to open that isn't on the list causing that name to be added to the list in index.sol along with some possible options to change the name or delete it for whatever reason.

_________________
major solo tracks:

New rabid Squirrel challenge: archive all lr videos available before their creators deletes them. Shocked
avatar
SethComposerGuy
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by [senpai] kevans on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 am

Okay, this is what I'm going to do, a little mix of all Ideas.

"savedlines" will be changed to "mainindexLines", this will be the default name that LRV3 will run on. Then I will include a custom sol name that will change "mainindexLines" into whatever the user wants, including "savedLines".

Any objections?
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by KillinTime2792 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 pm

yes, can we use capitals on more words than "Lines"?

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Hedgehogs4Me on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Frankly, I think this is pretty irrelevant. If we're getting a version pretty soon that not only has no lag, but also will have a double-click-file thing for track opening, I really don't see why we need to be talking about what save files will be called.

That being said, mhenr did have another name for a test version a while back, and iirc it was pretty good, so you could ask him.

_________________
What do I believe?


avatar
Hedgehogs4Me
Line Rider Legend

4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing the "savedLines" to something

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum