We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

+23
Chui Ninji
iPi
efrazable
Derpinator
ACwazHere
Votale
Inukaza
Blesshiscottonsocks
Wolf_Spirit
SPL4SHZ0N3
Rafael
KillinTime2792
rabid squirrel
Jam
TheRevTastic
[senpai] kevans
Kohuda
IGLima
mhenr18
Sssschiller
Z_N-Freak
CamQuartr
Wizzy
27 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible) - Page 5 Empty Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by mhenr18 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:14 am

I have a better idea. LR in C runs fine with 0 or 10k lines. I don't need to do things for performance reasons lol

mhenr18

http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible) - Page 5 Empty Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by rabid squirrel Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 am

mhenr18 wrote:I have a better idea. LR in C runs fine with 0 or 10k lines. I don't need to do things for performance reasons lol
which is why I am the excite
rabid squirrel
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy person round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 am

TheRevTastic wrote:Couldn't they code in an a permission thingy that checks to see if you made the sol and if so you are allowed to copy/paste but if not you cant?

I could do this, but the sols won't work on previous versions. Maybe a password system that the creator only knows. But again, no forward compatibility with standard 6.7.

Rafael wrote:I have a better idea. How about a button that removes all the current green lines, and if you push it again it'll all come back.
Don't know if that causes a lot of lag when getting your scenery back tho but it should be like loading.

Well, If it was to literally delete all those lines, it would be less lag, but it could overload the cache, crash flash, and possibly memory leak the ram, causing blue screen of death or the equivalent for macs. If I was to make playback so they came up as white, then lag would still be there, but the lines won't show up.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but you have to look for these things to make sure nothing fails.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 am

kevansevans wrote:
I could do this, but the sols won't work on previous versions. Maybe a password system that the creator only knows. But again, no forward compatibility with standard 6.7.

Why would you want them to? You're supposed to be making the future, not providing for the past. Beta 1 doesnt work with Beta 2, and theres no reason your future version should work with 6.x. My builds only ever tried to be forward compatible (they ended up failing in fringe cases due to decompiler errors anyway lol) because back when I started out there was a huge amount of resistance to changing ANYTHING in LR at all. Nowadays, there's a lot more tolerance in the community (if you think this thread is bad you should have seen some of the discussions back a few years ago when I wrote 6.3 and 6.6/6.7), so as long as your build provides a big win in terms of usability and performance, people won't care that the tracks don't work in 6.7. Really, if your build is good enough, you're going to make people not want to use 6.7 anymore so you shouldn't cater for forwards compatibility.

kevansevans wrote:
Well, If it was to literally delete all those lines, it would be less lag, but it could overload the cache, crash flash, and possibly memory leak the ram, causing blue screen of death or the equivalent for macs. If I was to make playback so they came up as white, then lag would still be there, but the lines won't show up.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but you have to look for these things to make sure nothing fails.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Firstly, Flash code can't leak memory - the player sure can (and it does like a sieve), but you have no control over that. It's a garbage collected environment, so it's impossible to leak due to programmer error like it is in compiled languages like C.
Secondly, what cache? There is no "cache" in Flash.
Thirdly, you just don't render them if you don't want them there (its in panel.playB.onPress(), just add a condition to the render loop that you only render if the linetype is < 2), but they'll still hog memory. If you want to accept a small slowdown when erasing you could look at having a second grid for scenery lines with a bigger grid size so lines occupy less memory in it. The grid is the biggest source of LR's RAM use. Additionally, it's easy as hell to loop through the line array and just drop all scenery lines. The only problem is waiting for them to reload when you want them back.

In all honesty, you're sounding like you're trying to get out of things because you don't know how to do them.

FYI, the ultimate pinnacle of performance for scenery is creating bitmap tiles and rendering scenery lines onto them. Bitmap operations are super cheap in LR flash (even in avm1), so panning them around during track playback is really quick. Doing it this way literally negates line count lag because a bitmap is the same whether its all white or all black. The only performance hit here is when erasing lines in a bitmap tile that has a lot of lines in it, because you need to then redraw every one of those lines as you rebuild the tile. If you're interested in something like this, I have a working proof of concept for *drawing* lines in AS3 that you might want to have a peek at. It doesn't have simulation or anything like that though, it's only drawing and erasing. If you want to use it in an AS2 LR build, you'd need to backport it yourself.

In recent C updates, I have multithreading working. Smile

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 am

Yay on C development, just askin, but do you have an ETA on a beta build?

Also what ever happened to that LR server thing you showed me and we messed around on?
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

http://www.therevtastic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

TheRevTastic wrote:Yay on C development, just askin, but do you have an ETA on a beta build?

Also what ever happened to that LR server thing you showed me and we messed around on?

I literally have no idea where the server source is right now. Oops.
Also, I'm not making the mistake of giving an ETA anymore. I'm working as fast as I can, once I get things working then I'll open up and preview them in my own time. I want to leave a damn good first impression with this build.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 am

Oops is all you have to say for your self :|, you infadel you :P.

Also okie dokie, but still I want to beta test it when there's a beta Suspicious
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Early builds are gonna be Mac only because I'm doing my primary dev work on a Mac. Only once I get a stable enough build and I'm ready to consider making a release will I write the Windows specific hooks and get it working on Windows.

Then I'll get it going on everything under the sun.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 pm

mhenr18 wrote:Early builds are gonna be Mac only because I'm doing my primary dev work on a Mac. Only once I get a stable enough build and I'm ready to consider making a release will I write the Windows specific hooks and get it working on Windows.

Then I'll get it going on everything under the sun.

Well then I guess I must make a hacintosh.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 pm

mhenr18 wrote:
kevansevans wrote:

Why would you want them to? You're supposed to be making the future, not providing for the past. Beta 1 doesnt work with Beta 2, and theres no reason your future version should work with 6.x. My builds only ever tried to be forward compatible (they ended up failing in fringe cases due to decompiler errors anyway lol) because back when I started out there was a huge amount of resistance to changing ANYTHING in LR at all. Nowadays, there's a lot more tolerance in the community (if you think this thread is bad you should have seen some of the discussions back a few years ago when I wrote 6.3 and 6.6/6.7), so as long as your build provides a big win in terms of usability and performance, people won't care that the tracks don't work in 6.7. Really, if your build is good enough, you're going to make people not want to use 6.7 anymore so you shouldn't cater for forwards compatibility.

kevansevans wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about.

Firstly, Flash code can't leak memory - the player sure can (and it does like a sieve), but you have no control over that. It's a garbage collected environment, so it's impossible to leak due to programmer error like it is in compiled languages like C.
Secondly, what cache? There is no "cache" in Flash.
Thirdly, you just don't render them if you don't want them there (its in panel.playB.onPress(), just add a condition to the render loop that you only render if the linetype is < 2), but they'll still hog memory. If you want to accept a small slowdown when erasing you could look at having a second grid for scenery lines with a bigger grid size so lines occupy less memory in it. The grid is the biggest source of LR's RAM use. Additionally, it's easy as hell to loop through the line array and just drop all scenery lines. The only problem is waiting for them to reload when you want them back.

In all honesty, you're sounding like you're trying to get out of things because you don't know how to do them.

In recent C updates, I have multithreading working. Smile

I do know how to do this, but Ive done more things than just flash, so naturally the parts in my brain that deal with non-flash come in and f-things up. stupid adhd..... When I said cache, I was refferencing to basically a "Bank" that can store these lines for later. Any who, I guess I will create the password system and incorporate non-visible green lines. Seeing as though the grid uses the mist ram, will decreasing the number alter anything to a significant point? cause If we can make it so it uses less ram, the flash will run much faster.

EDIT: AND WHEN ARE ME AND MHENR GONNA GET THAT SPECIAL SUBFORUM WE"VE REQUESTED?!?!?!?!?! THIS IS CLOGGING STUFF UP!
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:34 pm

I bet when the C/C#/C+/whatever C mhenr is using comes out anybody will play on the flash version due to better performance on the new one :P.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:I bet when the C/C#/C+/whatever C mhenr is using comes out anybody will play on the flash version due to better performance on the new one :P.

I doubt it :|
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

kevansevans wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:I bet when the C/C#/C+/whatever C mhenr is using comes out anybody will play on the flash version due to better performance on the new one :P.

Why would people use the flash version when the C version comes out?
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I have no idea what's going on but this sounds exciting :|
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Conundrumer Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:
kevansevans wrote:

they don't have to download it
Conundrumer
Conundrumer
Line Rider Legend

actually working on OII

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Conundrumer wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:
kevansevans wrote:

You still have to technically download the flash version.

I count downloading the standalone player then downloading the game itself downloading the game :P.

Plus the C version as mhenr said won't have performance issues like the flash game, and also I bet it will fix the cross compatibility for macs and pcs for tracks.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 pm

TheRevTastic wrote:
Conundrumer wrote:
TheRevTastic wrote:
kevansevans wrote:

You still have to technically download the flash version.

I count downloading the standalone player then downloading the game itself downloading the game :P.

Plus the C version as mhenr said won't have performance issues like the flash game, and also I bet it will fix the cross compatibility for macs and pcs for tracks.

Definitely.
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

EXCITING Inverted Onoz

By the way I figured since everyone is in this thread anyway, could someone be so kind as to show me where I could learn this kind of coding? The most I've ever done was html and I'm still learning the basics of it x) that would be awesome.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRevTastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 pm

C/C#/C+ is hard to learn tbh, I am still trying to learn it via a book called Learning XNA 4.0.

I heard if you learn PHP first it will be much easier to learn the c languages later on.
TheRevTastic
TheRevTastic

Back to top Go down

Post by [senpai] kevans Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Wizzy wrote:EXCITING Inverted Onoz

By the way I figured since everyone is in this thread anyway, could someone be so kind as to show me where I could learn this kind of coding? The most I've ever done was html and I'm still learning the basics of it x) that would be awesome.

For the flash version: You need a copy of flash. You need a decompiler. You need to know Action Script 2.

I would recommend you making your physics game. Risking my neck this far is a little unsettling. Shocked
[senpai] kevans
[senpai] kevans

Stay in your coma

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Wizzy, you don't just "learn coding". You only ever learn to program because you want to do something, and you learn the appropriate language for the task (for me it was mod LR, so I learnt AS2 initially because that's what I needed to know to work with LR).

There's so much out there on the net that now is a better time than ever before to get into programming Smile

Also, is there anyone on IRtL who's good with font design (particularly pixel fonts)? I wouldn't mind if someone could lend me a hand with fixing up the in-game font - it's a tad messy at times.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by KillinTime2792 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm

can't we just use a default font like arial or times new roman? I don't think the font will be particuarly game-breaking

2 cents
KillinTime2792
KillinTime2792

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:41 am

Two things.

1. Those fonts are two of the most hideously disgusting fonts to ever be created. They're shameless rips of Helvetica and Times, and they don't even half get it right.

2. Because I want this to be cross-platform and run on systems regardless of installed fonts, I'm distributing a custom bitmap font derived from Google's public domain PT Sans. I just need someone to clean it up a tad - it's fine as is but it could be better.

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Yobanjojoe Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:44 am

whabout cosmic sans
Yobanjojoe
Yobanjojoe

swag

Back to top Go down

Post by mhenr18 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 am

Yobanjojoe wrote:whabout cosmic sans

*dies*

mhenr18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next