Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Wizzy on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok I just got this crazy idea that probably won't work because it's probably impossible but I think this would be the sickest idea ever and WOULD GET RID OF LAG COMPLETELY FOR SCENERY MONSTER TRACKS.

Ok so the idea goes that if you have a big track you're adding green stuff to and you want to add a monument or some piece of art to cover a part of the track, would it be possible to say "cut" a portion of the track off (I don't mean actually take the track portion out but rather copy a section of it) and open up a new save and "paste" the portion of track onto a blank canvas, thus removing lag and making working on the piece much easier and quicker. Then of course "pasting" it back into the actual track.

Another benefit would be if you want to place a random monument (say like Iron Man) and place him in a random spot on your track, what if you could draw him first on a blank canvas and then "select" "copy" "paste" him into the actual track somewhere.

It's basically just like the quick selection tool or marquee tool in photoshop, but IN line rider. Would this be possible?

_________________
@Opal Rider wrote:It's cute. But we can go danker.
avatar
Wizzy
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by CamQuartr on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:24 pm

This was an idea brought up awhile ago (mhenr started making it) but was rejected due to the fact that it can be considered cheating.

_________________
Need a recording? Send me a PM and I'd be willing to do it Smile

CamQuartr
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Wizzy on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:27 pm

... Wait how is it considered cheating? You're making everything yourself and just "pasting" it all into one track

_________________
@Opal Rider wrote:It's cute. But we can go danker.
avatar
Wizzy
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Z_N-Freak on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I will probably mean it will get impossible to know if someone took a picture from the internet or something instead of drawing it himself. I don't know how the feature would work though, but if what I said is not the case it sounds pretty awesome.

_________________
c: 1815_1382_1
l: 3198 / ?
r: 10714
s: 85.516
t: 106 / 235
u: 2015100514
avatar
Z_N-Freak
Member

Off-sled Action


View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MrZNF

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Wizzy on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm

@Z_N-Freak wrote:I will probably mean it will get impossible to know if someone took a picture from the internet or something instead of drawing it himself. I don't know how the feature would work though, but if what I said is not the case it sounds pretty awesome.

No no I mean IN the actual game so cheating would be impossible.

_________________
@Opal Rider wrote:It's cute. But we can go danker.
avatar
Wizzy
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by CamQuartr on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Because you can 1. Copy other peoples work, and put it in your track
2. Say you want to make a checkerboard, all you really need to do is make it once, then copy and paste it a million times. It becomes effortless and that technically, could be considered cheating

It also starts to defeat the point of the simplicity, and plus, coding something like that is pretty hard nevertheless

_________________
Need a recording? Send me a PM and I'd be willing to do it Smile

CamQuartr
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Wizzy on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:42 pm

@CamQuartr wrote:Because you can 1. Copy other peoples work, and put it in your track
2. Say you want to make a checkerboard, all you really need to do is make it once, then copy and paste it a million times. It becomes effortless and that technically, could be considered cheating

It also starts to defeat the point of the simplicity, and plus, coding something like that is pretty hard nevertheless

1. Of the 50 people here who do you think would do that?
2. Effortless, or making work a hell of a lot easier?

Nobody even makes scenery tracks anymore, the main reason being it's so much work. I don't know why making things easier isn't being considered. Imagine how many people would start actually making scenery tracks again. I know I would.

Cheaters are always caught, I don't think anyone here would want to risk their reputation anyway.

_________________
@Opal Rider wrote:It's cute. But we can go danker.
avatar
Wizzy
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Sssschiller on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:32 pm

i make scenery tracks :|

_________________

I believe in a thing called love <3

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by mhenr18 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

I actually had a cut/copy/paste going pretty well in 8.0, but it wasn't cross track. Again, I'll see what I can do once I get the fundamentals up and running in my native build - right now I'm debugging some grid stuff and then I can get playback working.

Also, we need a separate LR development subforum for stuff like this - it's kinda annoying to see this stuff clog up the general and engaged riding sections.

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by IGLima on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:08 pm

@Sssschiller wrote:i make scenery tracks :|

_________________
rebid sed i drw gud piktur
Current Projects:
- Quirk 137 Lines ?%
- Manuquirk 1203 Lines DONE
- Junk Compilation 0%
- Scenery eventually? need to make/decide on track
avatar
IGLima
Member

Featured Video: Silent Flame Scened

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Kohuda on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:56 pm

If I had that tool, I'd copy all of Sssschillers tracks, I'm just sayian.

_________________
You make 0% of the breads you don't bake.

avatar
Kohuda
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by [senpai] kevans on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 pm

ahahahahahahahahahahahlololololololololololololololololoahahahahahahahahahahahalololololololololololololololololololol.......

Spoiler:
no

@mhenr18 wrote:
Also, we need a separate LR development subforum for stuff like this - it's kinda annoying to see this stuff clog up the general and engaged riding sections.

agreed.
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by TheRevTastic on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:36 pm

I like how mhenr is all chill about this and then kevan is all douchey about it.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Jam on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:54 pm

@TheRevTastic wrote:I like how mhenr is all chill about this and then kevan is all douchey about it.
Mhenr is always chill and kevan is always douchey... ._.
avatar
Jam
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by [senpai] kevans on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:02 pm

@Jam wrote:
@TheRevTastic wrote:I like how mhenr is all chill about this and then kevan is all douchey about it.
Mhenr is always chill and kevan is always douchey... ._.

best of both worlds I guess... I tried to be chill for while... but it didn't work...
avatar
[senpai] kevans
Member

Stay in your coma


View user profile https://kevansevans.github.io/

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by TheRevTastic on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:24 pm

kevansevans wrote:
@Jam wrote:
@TheRevTastic wrote:I like how mhenr is all chill about this and then kevan is all douchey about it.
Mhenr is always chill and kevan is always douchey... ._.

best of both worlds I guess... I tried to be chill for while... but it didn't work...

You haven't even been her long enough to "try" and be chill :|.

_________________

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Kohuda on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm pretty sure most of us are chill and it worked for us. :|

_________________
You make 0% of the breads you don't bake.

avatar
Kohuda
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by mhenr18 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 am

lol, no need to argue. we're all here to see new stuff in LR.

I'm getting closer to fixing these grid bugs, just got one more issue to stamp out and then I can get to work on playback Very Happy

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by rabid squirrel on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 am

@mhenr18 wrote:Also, we need a separate LR development subforum for stuff like this - it's kinda annoying to see this stuff clog up the general and engaged riding sections.
We had one and nobody ever used it for over a year

also,
@IGLima wrote:
@Sssschiller wrote:i make scenery tracks :|

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by mhenr18 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:We had one and nobody ever used it for over a year

Two things:

1. I was in my senior year of high school so I never got time to do anything. I graduated two weeks ago so that's changing (and even once I hit uni in three months, I'm expecting to still have way more time to do LR - I'm doing a software engineering course and I've seen the workload that some of my friends have, it's stupid easy by my standards)
2. It was a subforum specifically for my stuff, and it's not just me who's doing dev work any more.

edit: also rabid, I'm pretty sure you were fairly against any copy/paste implementation in LR back when I was more active with inXile. Is that still the case?

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by rabid squirrel on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:25 am

@mhenr18 wrote:also rabid, I'm pretty sure you were fairly against any copy/paste implementation in LR back when I was more active with inXile. Is that still the case?
Yes. It's too easy to abuse while making it still look like you did a lot of work. And to copy scenery by other people and then tweak it. It's not line rider anymore.

If wizzy thinks we can go on the honor system he's being pretty naive about the internet. Look at all the LAOTW entries busted for tracing. (and those were only the ones CAUGHT)

Look at how stupid Unbound became, partially because of ability to import files.

_________________
Support My Art
A playlist of my best tracks
To keep up with what I'm up to in the world of Line Rider, follow me:
My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
avatar
rabid squirrel
Member

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by mhenr18 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:56 am

Rabid, what IS line rider? Abusing glitches so that bosh never actually rides lines? Sitting around for days on end drawing thousands of lines in a mind-numbing exercise just so you can have a patch of black in your scenery? No.

Line Rider was built on a simple premise - draw some lines and watch bosh sled down them. It was that simple premise that caused the game to become such a hit back in the day - everyone could look at it and pick it up in seconds. It was so enjoyable because that premise could be taken from drawing simple loops and watching bosh go around them to making the most incredible tracks that could be regarded as art.

If you look at what you're calling "line rider" now, it's pretty much an insult to the game's premise. Line Rider isn't about strict rules on what is "Line Rider". It's about having fun with a simple toy that lets your imagination run wild. We've pretty much exhausted the possibilities of what you can do with the current toolset, so unless you want to see Line Rider continue to stagnate and slide into obscurity, you're going to need to accept that there needs to be change.

Unbound was not stupid due to importing. It was stupid because it was delayed, it was stupid because it threw out the engine that millions knew and replaced it with something totally different, it was stupid because it tried to turn a toy into a game, and it was stupid because it slapped a childish UI on something that should have appealed to all ages. Unbound was a change that ignored the fundamental premise of Line Rider. That's why it failed. I'm not going to make those mistakes, but I'm going to make changes.


EDIT: YES I FIXED THE GRID BUGS I CAN FINALLY START ON PLAYBACK Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mhenr18
Member


View user profile http://www.mhenr18.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by KillinTime2792 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 am

@rabid squirrel wrote:It's too easy to abuse while making it still look like you did a lot of work. And to copy scenery by other people and then tweak it. It's not line rider anymore.
yes maybe, overlooking the fact that it's nearly impossible to find scenery from someone else that you can just paste into your own track without a. the curves not matching up, so you have to redo the entire thing from scratch (which people already did and got praised) b. getting caught out on it immediatly (like that laotw entry where someone copied sorv's rocket) and c. scenery IS alot of work, maybe thats why hardly anyone scenes anymore. why not make it easier to make a large portion of track black? why should we have to sit there for 2 hours filling out 5K lines just to have a black spot on the track?

@rabid squirrel wrote:If wizzy thinks we can go on the honor system he's being pretty naive about the internet. Look at all the LAOTW entries busted for tracing. (and those were only the ones CAUGHT)
i think the honor system would work fine, if someone gets busted they basically lose all reputation, forever. who'd risk that just to make 1 track look better?

@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:Look at how stupid Unbound became, partially because of ability to import files.
Unbound was not stupid due to importing. It was stupid because it was delayed, it was stupid because it threw out the engine that millions knew and replaced it with something totally different, it was stupid because it tried to turn a toy into a game, and it was stupid because it slapped a childish UI on something that should have appealed to all ages. Unbound was a change that ignored the fundamental premise of Line Rider. That's why it failed.
^

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Wizzy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:55 am

@KillinTime2792 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:It's too easy to abuse while making it still look like you did a lot of work. And to copy scenery by other people and then tweak it. It's not line rider anymore.
yes maybe, overlooking the fact that it's nearly impossible to find scenery from someone else that you can just paste into your own track without a. the curves not matching up, so you have to redo the entire thing from scratch (which people already did and got praised) b. getting caught out on it immediatly (like that laotw entry where someone copied sorv's rocket) and c. scenery IS alot of work, maybe thats why hardly anyone scenes anymore. why not make it easier to make a large portion of track black? why should we have to sit there for 2 hours filling out 5K lines just to have a black spot on the track?

@rabid squirrel wrote:If wizzy thinks we can go on the honor system he's being pretty naive about the internet. Look at all the LAOTW entries busted for tracing. (and those were only the ones CAUGHT)
i think the honor system would work fine, if someone gets busted they basically lose all reputation, forever. who'd risk that just to make 1 track look better?

@mhenr18 wrote:
@rabid squirrel wrote:Look at how stupid Unbound became, partially because of ability to import files.
Unbound was not stupid due to importing. It was stupid because it was delayed, it was stupid because it threw out the engine that millions knew and replaced it with something totally different, it was stupid because it tried to turn a toy into a game, and it was stupid because it slapped a childish UI on something that should have appealed to all ages. Unbound was a change that ignored the fundamental premise of Line Rider. That's why it failed.
^

:facepalm:

I don't think you understand what we're trying to do here, Rabid. The point of this is to encourage people to make scenery tracks again. Personally I find myself starting up a new project and basically just saying "eff it" because it takes FOR. EVER. To make what is in my imagination.

Cheating has always been a part of Line Rider, why should we resist change for the better because of that? Besides, I'd like to point out that people already "cheat" to make naked tracks by using cheat engine to see every frame (I'm not saying any names :| ) so why can't we have something to help the people who make scenery?

Edit: Oh and um, I'm probably gonna try to find someone to code it for me or whatever. I don't think I need anyones permission xD this was just an idea thread.

_________________
@Opal Rider wrote:It's cute. But we can go danker.
avatar
Wizzy
Member


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Rafael on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 am

@Wizzy wrote:Edit: Oh and um, I'm probably gonna try to find someone to code it for me or whatever. I don't think I need anyones permission xD
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can someone please code this for line rider like now? (If possible)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum