We Ride the Lines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The/A Problem of Line Rider.

+31
Sssschiller
Painlobster
linerage
Brandon971
Inukaza
Z_N-Freak
TheRevTastic
Commandercoke
TigerXLine
Purtle
SPL4SHZ0N3
ACwazHere
Opal Rider
Ktk
Stickheadz32
rabid squirrel
Wolf_Spirit
hypothet
Blesshiscottonsocks
Wizzy
CamQuartr
Chui Ninji
Orthuss
Rafael
Cereal
Sheldon
Helios Pavonine
OTDE
Lankher
Derpinator
Votale
35 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The/A Problem of Line Rider. - Page 2 Empty Re: The/A Problem of Line Rider.

Post by Votale Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:14 pm

@ Raf: Line Rider Traffic - http://www.google.com/trends?q=line+rider . I don't care how many nubs release one-time tracks on YouTube. The forums are a huge part of Line Rider. But even the traffic received by Line Rider according to the link above is at an all time low.

@ BHCS: Of course you weren't one to leave because the bar was set high. Neither did TD. That's because you guys SET the standard so high. You weren't the ones chasing after it you were the ones making it. Other scenery guys prolly got bored of it.

Last edited by Votale on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Lankher Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Votale, i think you should look at that graph yourself..

ever since 09, the activity has been pretty much the same..
Lankher
Lankher

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:23 pm

^2009 starts right before the letter "F". Compared to how much we have now, we've lost quite a bit. Facts are, it's declining and at an all-time low.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Votale wrote:The forums are a huge part of Line Rider.
That's a matter of opinion :P
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Rafael wrote:
Votale wrote:The forums are a huge part of Line Rider.
That's a matter of opinion :P

You know it's true. :/ If there weren't forums to "showcase" your track to, there'd be less than half the amount of tracks made.
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Half the amount of QUALITY tracks. The overall amount of tracks would decrease by.. 5% max.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm

You knew what I meant. :|
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafael Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah, but you didn't know what I meant so I explained that to you.
Rafael
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm

@ Thread: And How many times have we had this conversation?
Ktk
Ktk

4th place in Tournament of Legends

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 pm

@ Ktk: How many times have we done something about it?
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Votale wrote:@ Ktk: How many times have we done something about it?
...He beat me to it my a second.
Opal Rider
Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

Back to top Go down

Post by ACwazHere Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Yeah, if you guys insist on making these threads all the time, we better do something about it.
ACwazHere
ACwazHere

fuck around and get dunked on

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Ya, let's discuss how Line Rider is dying. Again. :facepalm:
We're trying to get ads going and logos in every video and hopefully that'll bring in at least a few new people. While we're arguing amongst ourselves about Line Rider being dead or not, let's do something. I mean.. The staff don't do much in the forums (that's starting to change and hopefully we'll see some more activity) but we as the community don't do ANYTHING to really get noticed.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 pm

1. Stop making tracks that are impossible to make and discourage riders from releasing their creations because they see something from Kram and say "Wow mines like crap compared to that." Instead, make tracks that can be looked up to and admired that make people say "Woah I would love to do that." That way they release tracks and become better and better and well, I think you get the rest. Be the new ZNF.

2. Scenery tracks: Probably the main attraction of Line Rider. Again, it has to be something realistically possible that a new guy could look up to and say "I want to do that one day!" For example; Millennium. G-well track with rather simple but awesome scenery that inspired people to do stuff rather than uninspired them.

It's true that tracks with tricks that seem unconquerable will un-inspire rather than inspire people. They look at their tracks and trash it because it's nothing compared to others.

On the other hand, we need long term members on the forums. Anything from "ads" (Simple titles even") can attract people to this site. It worked for FC, it can work for us. After people see it so many times as they did from FC, they got interested in actually seeing what the site actually was. Do the same for us. If you see a nubish track, make a comment. Send them a YT PM with a link to this site. Anything you can do. You can't go wrong with this stuff.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by SPL4SHZ0N3 Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 pm

OR make tutorials so that newer players don't feel like they are looking up at at 200 foot wall trying to get over it. Instead make it easy for them by showing the the footholds and handholds to climb over it.
SPL4SHZ0N3
SPL4SHZ0N3
Line Rider Legend

https://www.youtube.com/user/SPL4SHZ0N3

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzy Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:51 pm

^ off-topic, but I freaking love Millennium. One of my favorite tracks of all time. I wish DaPoe was still around D: damn you votale for making me sad/reminisce
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Ideas:

1. Turn IRTLTube (or w/e the channel name was) into a machinima-type channel. It uploads many "quality" tracks And links to the trackmaker's channel. This keeps tracks centralized and very viewer-friendly. Giving the easy to people is the best way to get recognition.

2. Amidst all of the huge, individual 3+ month projects, the community as a whole should do a "weekly track" type thing. IMO, a major reason for the anonymity of Line Rider is because there's no consistent supply of inspiring* tracks. So, each individual could create one track per week; it doesn't have to be super insane, just something relaxed; also, a month's worth of preparation beforehand from each person could be used as a buffer in case anyone gets behind. We wouldn't all release on the same day of the week, we'd offset by a day, so that we'd have a number of videos going up everyday. And this could all be sent into IRTLTube, for centralizedness and shenanigans.

3. Submit our videos as Pets & Animals to get more views. We'd just have to name our tracks after animals or something. Hehe

*This doesn't have to be like "Omg so epic I want to do that" but some kind of goal for new people, since that's the audience we're aiming for.

This would really only work if the whole community (or a large part of it) contributed.
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by Blesshiscottonsocks Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 am

I know a few machinima people. Why dont we get some Line Rider tracks uploaded to their channel? It would need to be a BIG track though, one of TDs newer ones.
Blesshiscottonsocks
Blesshiscottonsocks
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:28 am

blesshiscottonsocks wrote:I know a few machinima people. Why dont we get some Line Rider tracks uploaded to their channel? It would need to be a BIG track though, one of TDs newer ones.
Holy shenanigans, that would be epic. :O I don't think we should rely on machinima entirely, however. Getting attention through machinima could be a very useful initial boost though.
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by Purtle Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:56 am

My initial thoughts, :
Ktk wrote:@ Thread: And How many times have we had this conversation?

Or as I was going to put it before I saw ktk's post. "Oh look another herp derp line rider is dead/dying thread"

Which I was then going to follow up with,
rabid squirrel wrote:We've been telling ourselves Line Rider is dying since 2007. Just saying :P

Moving on. FC makes plenty of good points and yadda yadda yadda

Votale wrote:@ Ktk: How many times have we done something about it?
Many times, I would almost be willing to say almost everytime. It just doesn't make a big enough of a difference/never fully works, or is never finished/consistently done/people get lazy and stop.

Here's the thing as far as "restarting line rider" and having people make only scenery tracks or 'bad' tracks etc.
People play the game how they want to. You really can't tell kramwood that he is wrong/a jerk/should stop what he is doing. Some people like to push games to their limits/extremes. It's basically the casual gamer vs competitive gamer. This comes to mind mainly because I somewhat have experience dealing with this. My brother and his friend pretty much stopped playing ssb64 with me because I got too good at the game. I would try my best not to use my best characters. I should probably try to get them to play with me next time they're around, and we can play with items on and such.

Point is, it's not really fair to blame people for making tracks with good tricks. The "problem" would be that the tracks with the fancy tricks are the ones that get the most views, support, etc and the other ones do not.

I would go on more but it's 1 am. Damn me getting to these threads late and having to quote people, although it saves some of my responses (ktk's/rabids)

Sheldon wrote:The good people are from 2-3 years ago It takes a nub along time to reach our standards.

That's just plain not true.

Purtle
Purtle

ppt [retired mod]

http://www.hiddenheartpiece.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Votale Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:18 am

We've never successfully done one thing about it that I've seen have any large impact. I'd like that to change. I don't care how many times we've had this discussion, that doesn't change the fact that we've been unsuccessful in every attempt of fixing it. I'd also like that to change. BHCS says maybe he can help us out. That's great. Tutorials can be made so that maybe those "impossible-for-new-guys" tricks seem possible. I'll be working on tuts like that very soon. "Ads" can be put on all videos to create a "Recurring" (PUN 8D) theme to people who watch them, and at one point they'll be interested to know what this link is all these riders post at the beginning/end of their videos. I hope that everyone doesn't go back to their old ways after reading this topic and actually tries to help efforts.

You know what doesn't help? Saying that we've had this discussion before. So if you're here to say that, please refrain from doing so.
Votale
Votale

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerXLine Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 am

Maybe solve problem by doing this:

* Make one main channel for IRTL where everyone can upload their videos. (RS or a admin/trusted person with experience must be in charge). It will be like Machinima, keep every track in one place. People will see that Line Rider isn't some sort of solo game with no communities. Show people that Line Rider is social!

* Every who is beasts at Line Rider quits. From what I've read above, the problem is that none have the guts to keep training them selves or deal with not being as good as Aspi or Kram... (This suggestion was a joke, but also a point).

* Ask Machinima if they could upload one of the highest skilled tracks (with scenery!) to their channel and ask them to put a link to IRTL in the description. This will increase the member-count and make Line Rider more popular. Let's face it: People all around the internet probably believe that Line Rider is some sort of typical internet-game....

* Everyone accepts that this is the real world. It's like football or Golf. The are insanely hard to get world-champ or one of the best. The only thing you need to do is to get better and train a lot. Keep studying the game and play it like you did in the beginning when everything was fun.

* People need to stop trying to beat everyone. The best un-scened Line Rider track today will never be the most enjoyable one because many of the people who watch it, probably don't understand the track and feel everything is messy (Yes, I am pinting to quirk). 10% Line Rider-guys against 90% others who doesn't play LR.

Try to be creative. Use the frick'in green tool! Use high-skilled-editing-programs and for God'sake, please choose the correct music and sync it with the video!

* Make a commercial/ad with good editing, clips, interviews (not just the best Riders), good background-music, Links, Line Rider history and other stuff.

That's all...

TigerXLine
TigerXLine

I used to play Line Rider and be weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktk Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 am

You know what doesn't help? Saying that we've had this discussion before. So if you're here to say that, please refrain from doing so.
Aggressive; color me a skeptic?

We've never successfully done one thing about it that I've seen have any large impact. I'd like that to change. (: I don't care how many times we've had this discussion, that doesn't change the fact that we've been unsuccessful in every attempt of fixing it. (<Thesis) I'd also like that to change. BHCS says maybe he can help us out. That's great. Tutorials can be made so that maybe those "impossible-for-new-guys" tricks seem possible. (<I thought they cared about scenery, not tricks) I'll be working on tuts like that very soon. (: "Ads" can be put on all videos to create a "Recurring" (PUN <curious, how?) theme to people who watch them, and at one point they'll be interested to know what this link is all these riders post at the beginning/end of their videos. I hope that everyone doesn't go back to their old ways after reading this topic and actually tries to help efforts. noble

I think Line Rider needs to break a barrier.
Screw non-edited videos. Do switching, something not just Line Rider, because people have seen Line Rider before. Doing something different with it could spark interest. But then it's still Line Rider, and so many people have toyed with it and left.

Ask Machinima if they could upload one of the highest skilled tracks (with scenery!) to their channel and ask them to put a link to IRTL in the description. This will increase the member-count and make Line Rider more popular. Let's face it: People all around the internet probably believe that Line Rider is some sort of typical internet-game....
That's because it is one...? But I agree with:
Try to be creative. Use the frick'in green tool! Use high-skilled-editing-programs and for God'sake, please choose the correct music and sync it with the video!
Though high-skilled editing programs isn't actually so good when we have fancy titles for a 1 minute Line Rider track. Maybe I'll get around to actually editing a Line Rider video itself in the real sense, not just adding title screens. There's an infinite canvas in Line Rider, I'm sure people can do creative active editing.

Flaws in the system
- Attention span has effectively been cut in half. In 2008 we had 2:30 tracks. Now 1:30 is "long"? Either modern riders have condensed quirk so much that they can fit 2:30 of effort into 0:50, and/or users have just lost motivation to create longer tracks. And if they are long, users are not inclined to watch them unless they're of the same caliber of a 0:50 track sustained for more than twice as long, which isn't going to happen. And that would be boring and unoriginal.
> I've seen so many single-trick videos it's actually ridiculous. Yeah a trick is cool. But it's valueless without the context of an actual track. It's like juggling 7 balls for one cycle.

- Yeah you can't go wrong with advertising a website, this is true... But elitelinerider.com rolls off the tongue a tad smoother than iridethelines.forumotion.com.

This would really only work if the whole community (or a large part of it) contributed.
I'm curious what makes you think this... I'm sure it'll help, but does it require everyone?

Not trolling. Socratic questioning.

I might come off as a bit pissy maybe because my code isn't working and is going to be two days late.
Ktk
Ktk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chui Ninji Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 am

Chui Ninji wrote:Ideas:

1. Turn IRTLTube (or w/e the channel name was) into a machinima-type channel. It uploads many "quality" tracks And links to the trackmaker's channel. This keeps tracks centralized and very viewer-friendly. Giving the easy to people is the best way to get recognition.

2. Amidst all of the huge, individual 3+ month projects, the community as a whole should do a "weekly track" type thing. IMO, a major reason for the anonymity of Line Rider is because there's no consistent supply of inspiring* tracks. So, each individual could create one track per week; it doesn't have to be super insane, just something relaxed; also, a month's worth of preparation beforehand from each person could be used as a buffer in case anyone gets behind. We wouldn't all release on the same day of the week, we'd offset by a day, so that we'd have a number of videos going up everyday. And this could all be sent into IRTLTube, for centralizedness and shenanigans.

3. Submit our videos as Pets & Animals to get more views. We'd just have to name our tracks after animals or something. Hehe

*This doesn't have to be like "Omg so epic I want to do that" but some kind of goal for new people, since that's the audience we're aiming for.

Ktk wrote:
-snip-

I'm curious what makes you think this... I'm sure it'll help, but does it require everyone?

Not trolling. Socratic questioning.

I might come off as a bit pissy maybe because my code isn't working and is going to be two days late.

I was referring to my ideas 1 & 2. It'd really only work if we had a large group of people constantly making tracks and submitting to IRTLtube. Take idea 1 - it really wouldn't work with only one or two people uploading a track to IRTLtube every so often. It'd be much more effective with 15 or so people uploading tracks to IRTLtube.
Idea 2 - Again, the mathematical logic behind it wouldn't work with only a few people. You'd need at least 7 (one person for each day of the week), and that's just the minimum.

When I said "community" I meant people that frequent the forums as well as make more than 3 tracks a year or something ridiculous. Which would whittle down the pool of people to 25 or so people (just a guess, so don't hold me to it).
Chui Ninji
Chui Ninji

Back to top Go down

Post by Commandercoke Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 am

I'm really tired of this arguement tbh.
If someone enjoys making crazy, "high standard" tracks, let them. Saying "hey, you're too good, stop doing what you enjoy and what you're good at" is a bit unfair, yes? And if someone wants to be more "low standard" because they have fun with that, then let them. As for people trying to get better; criticism is something that just comes with that.
Commandercoke
Commandercoke
Line Rider Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next