Line Rider and the Gamification of an Art Medium

Go down

Line Rider and the Gamification of an Art Medium

Post by rabid squirrel on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:42 am

OTDE's and my video essay treatise on Line Rider culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJP1lXzm7-c

Words about it here

My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Line Rider and the Gamification of an Art Medium

Post by Rafael on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:18 am

I completely agree with this! Especially the point about why people quit Line Rider struck me. It really comes down to either too little recognition for all the hard work or not feeling getting better is worth the time when the focus is on more and more complex tricks. A parallel can be made to electronic music and especially drum & bass, where sound design plays a huge part in what makes a song good according to the community, neglecting musicality. I think it's one of the main reasons drum & bass is seen as an underground/niche genre.

The video itself was really entertaining and well-structured too. Two points:
- What's with the sound quality when you turn to face-cam? Can you make that the same as when you're showing other visual content?
- I feel like your video style is more coherent when you don't do face-cams. Your editing style has similarities with channels that focus on accompanying visual content, like Casually Explained or Improvement Pill, and in those channels not having a face behind the videos really adds to their appeal. Maybe you could create your own channel identity by narrating from the perspective of Bosh or a casual viewer and design a fitting character for that. In the end it's up to you which direction you want to take, but here's some food for thought Smile

The direction your channel is taking is really inspiring btw. I might open up Line Rider in the near future!

Edit:
Also, if you have a goal to make a living out of Line Rider in the future, you might want to change the goals on your Patreon page a bit (like $1-$5-$10-$20-$100). Since you have random people watching your channel who really appreciate your content there might be some more generous donators among them. I'd also change the donations to per month instead of video once you're producing regular content. That is more appealing for backers because they know exactly what they're spending each month. Again it's all up to you, just some more things to think about! :P

The Entity - Cheetah - The Source
Heart Attack - Sonic Motion
Imperial - Nuclear Fission - Perclusion - Compilation Damnsexy
Rafael
Line Rider Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rabid squirrel on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm

@Rafael wrote:- What's with the sound quality when you turn to face-cam? Can you make that the same as when you're showing other visual content?
The main struggle is that I can't speak directly into a mic when on camera so I'm just using the camera's built in shotgun mic haha

@Rafael wrote:- I feel like your video style is more coherent when you don't do face-cams. Your editing style has similarities with channels that focus on accompanying visual content, like Casually Explained or Improvement Pill, and in those channels not having a face behind the videos really adds to their appeal. Maybe you could create your own channel identity by narrating from the perspective of Bosh or a casual viewer and design a fitting character for that. In the end it's up to you which direction you want to take, but here's some food for thought Smile
I basically took a leaf out of channels like Lindsay Ellis that mostly have visuals on screen but occasionally do cutaways to face cam, for moments where facial expressions and body language can be super helpful additions.

@Rafael wrote:Also, if you have a goal to make a living out of Line Rider in the future, you might want to change the goals on your Patreon page a bit (like $1-$5-$10-$20-$100). Since you have random people watching your channel who really appreciate your content there might be some more generous donators among them. I'd also change the donations to per month instead of video once you're producing regular content. That is more appealing for backers because they know exactly what they're spending each month. Again it's all up to you, just some more things to think about! :P
I'm not super interested in making high-roller reward tiers on patreon for a few different reasons, but the switch to per-month is one I will probably make if I am ever making enough off patreon that I can guarantee consistent output. At present, it fluctuates based on how many freelance gigs I have to take and how much time they take up, and that is often super unpredictable so I don't want to charge per month as long as what I have time for on any given month varies wildly.

Also I don't know if you picked up on this but the Line Rider Review channel (formerly quick reviews) is not directly funded by my patreon (as in, the videos are not monetized on my patreon), there's a ko-fi page attached to that for people to make small one-time donations because it's run jointly by OTDE and myself (among other reasons)

My Twitter | My Tumblr | My Twitch | My Facebook Page | My Instagram
(You can also follow my patreon and see all public posts completely for free)
rabid squirrel

I'm the artsy guy round here

Community Pick: Braggadocio
3rd place in Tournament of Legends 4th place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.benjaminharveydesign.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down