[OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Go down

[OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by OTDE on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:18 am


Link for mobile users

_________________
look inside my videos and you'll find
hidden forests -- quiet meditation -- two friends -- an octopus -- untold horror -- a soothing song -- dark fusion -- and inner peace
rabid wrote:did I just explain the significance of your own track to you
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by gaoyubao on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:34 am

I absolutely adore the editing in this video! And I love how you communicated the Braggadocio-style sense of urgency/intensity through the track and scenery!

_________________
avatar
gaoyubao
Line Rider Legend

Contest Winner: XL Contest
1st place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile http://www.visitgaomali.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by Sheldon on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Really fun story, liked the song and how the track style changed accordingly. I am curious to see bosh's adventures post breach.
avatar
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by theacp127 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm

I can see why this was so long in the making. Really cool to see such a different and creative take on what Line Rider videos can be. I'm curious if you're planning a kind of sequel to this or is this an isolated experience?

_________________
My Newest Line Rider Track
internal dialogue

Working on new track right now!  Very Happy

At least Hedge believed in me.
@Hedgehogs4Me wrote:I can see you becoming known as one of the best riders of 2012.

avatar
theacp127
Member

trying real hard


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by anton on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 am

Cool, although i didnt feel like the line rider part added that much

Very spacey though, well executed theme and presentation

_________________
My projects:
The Taco Truck Adventure
Free Buffeet | Catena Lit | Jitterbug | Offbeat/Onbeat | «Static» | Well-Tempered Kramual | Booty Swing

avatar
anton
Member

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 pm

HOLY SHIT BALLS I NEARLY SHAT MYSELF WHEN I REALIZED IT WAS CILPPING
Just already love it for it being to a Clipping song, but this actually was profoundly well put together and it felt more coherent than other tracks in this style...I have no idea why or how, I couldn't critique you necessarily on what you did to make that work, because I don't make tracks that way, but I appreciated this and want to see more!

_________________
Don't delete your tracks!™  Thumbs Up
avatar
ScrungleBlumpkus
Member

Interior Crocodile Alligator


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by OTDE on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 am

@gaoyubao wrote:I absolutely adore the editing in this video! And I love how you communicated the Braggadocio-style sense of urgency/intensity through the track and scenery!

thanks! I built the track so the focus was on different kinds of scenic intensity at different spots: the scenery rushing past in the first part, the cramped motion of bosh in the second, and a mix of environment and bosh movement in the third. lots of experimentation with how I could speed thru places with scenery that doesn't feel forgettable

@Sheldon wrote:Really fun story, liked the song and how the track style changed accordingly. I am curious to see bosh's adventures post breach.

thanks! hoping to experiment more with narrative. doubt there's much for him to do out in space for now tho Wink

@theacp127 wrote:I can see why this was so long in the making. Really cool to see such a different and creative take on what Line Rider videos can be. I'm curious if you're planning a kind of sequel to this or is this an isolated experience?

This took a long time because my mentally unsound ass procrastinated on it for almost a year. I coulda made this in a couple weeks if I wasn't constantly stressed. Appreciate the thoughts, though. Hoping to explore more as I said; there's still a bunch of untapped territory we can go down and I rly hope I'm not going to have to singlehandedly create all the LR lore and some of y'all will step up (helios Wink )

As for a sequel, none planned at the moment. Had one planned, but got too esoteric (which is saying something given, you know, this track).

@anton wrote:Cool, although i didnt feel like the line rider part added that much

Very spacey though, well executed theme and presentation

you're right, I coulda stripped that part out and it wouldn't have made very much of a difference

I'm nothing short of accommodating tho so here's the version without the line rider for you



that aside I do think space is super unexplored and night mode is the place to go for that if you want to make something feel vast and directionless (shouldn't be too hard for us given that's all we've done for years lmao)

@ScrungleBlumpkus wrote:HOLY SHIT BALLS I NEARLY SHAT MYSELF WHEN I REALIZED IT WAS CILPPING
Just already love it for it being to a Clipping song, but this actually was profoundly well put together and it felt more coherent than other tracks in this style...I have no idea why or how, I couldn't critique you necessarily on what you did to make that work, because I don't make tracks that way, but I appreciated this and want to see more!

dog I've been so sad there's no good clipping line rider tracks, so I made one, be the change, etc. I don't think there are very many tracks that are in this style tbh and most narrative-driven tracks at this point are still baby steps towards a real goal, which is telling a precise, compelling narrative. I think this track hit on compelling but wasn't nearly precise enough for there to be well-defined narrative.

my next track will probably involve a pagoda or a skyscraper. you can message me on discord if you wanna offer input on that project!
thanks all

_________________
look inside my videos and you'll find
hidden forests -- quiet meditation -- two friends -- an octopus -- untold horror -- a soothing song -- dark fusion -- and inner peace
rabid wrote:did I just explain the significance of your own track to you
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by anton on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 am

@OTDE wrote:you're right, I coulda stripped that part out and it wouldn't have made very much of a difference
That's not the point I was trying to make, but I think you're wrong, it made a pretty big difference

_________________
My projects:
The Taco Truck Adventure
Free Buffeet | Catena Lit | Jitterbug | Offbeat/Onbeat | «Static» | Well-Tempered Kramual | Booty Swing

avatar
anton
Member

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by OTDE on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 am

what IS the point then
I was havin a goof but now I'm In Too Deep and gotta know

Is it like
the track part doesn't hold narrative sway (with which I agree; the setup is integral to understanding the story)

Or
You don't think the track is good (I'm 100% interested in suggestions)

Or
None of the above (this is also good BC it means I'm not being a ding dong and jumping 2 conclusions)

_________________
look inside my videos and you'll find
hidden forests -- quiet meditation -- two friends -- an octopus -- untold horror -- a soothing song -- dark fusion -- and inner peace
rabid wrote:did I just explain the significance of your own track to you
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by Rafael on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 am

This has got to be the most professional editing in a Line Rider video ever. It felt like I was about to watch a movie! That was really awesome, but it also brings up this:
@Anton wrote:although i didnt feel like the line rider part added that much
I think what Anton is on about is that because the editing was so advanced, the line rider parts felt kind of flat in comparison.
I personally think this video is not very accessible because of this. An unsuspecting watcher will probably expect something visually amazing from the intro and end up seeing a relatively simple black-and-white animation, leaving him underwhelmed. This also raises an interesting question for future trackmaking: In which narritive- and editing styles is the fact that it's a Line Rider video an addition instead of an impairment?

This feedback is more on a conceptual level, because in the execution department you just freaking nailed it!

_________________
Jam
Supersonic Motion

The Entity - Cheetah - The Source
Heart Attack - Sonic Motion
Imperial - Nuclear Fission - Perclusion - Compilation Damnsexy
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by OTDE on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

@Rafael wrote:This has got to be the most professional editing in a Line Rider video ever. It felt like I was about to watch a movie! That was really awesome, but it also brings up this:
@Anton wrote:although i didnt feel like the line rider part added that much
I think what Anton is on about is that because the editing was so advanced, the line rider parts felt kind of flat in comparison.
I personally think this video is not very accessible because of this. An unsuspecting watcher will probably expect something visually amazing from the intro and end up seeing a relatively simple black-and-white animation, leaving him underwhelmed. This also raises an interesting question for future trackmaking: In which narritive- and editing styles is the fact that it's a Line Rider video an addition instead of an impairment?

This feedback is more on a conceptual level, because in the execution department you just freaking nailed it!

Dog the video has "Line Rider" in the title, nobody's going to be disappointed when they see the meat of the video is made in Line Rider—especially when the setup establishes location and (imperfectly in this case) motivation. Have your friends watch this without any context—if you don't hype them up, they're not going to say "I was expecting AE motion graphics."

I also think all of us here have seen so many tracks that our perception of how a casual viewer would see a track is really really warped (myself included). You -have- to find casual viewers to get that perspective, IMO.

_________________
look inside my videos and you'll find
hidden forests -- quiet meditation -- two friends -- an octopus -- untold horror -- a soothing song -- dark fusion -- and inner peace
rabid wrote:did I just explain the significance of your own track to you
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by Rafael on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

@OTDE wrote:
@Rafael wrote:This has got to be the most professional editing in a Line Rider video ever. It felt like I was about to watch a movie! That was really awesome, but it also brings up this:
@Anton wrote:although i didnt feel like the line rider part added that much
I think what Anton is on about is that because the editing was so advanced, the line rider parts felt kind of flat in comparison.
I personally think this video is not very accessible because of this. An unsuspecting watcher will probably expect something visually amazing from the intro and end up seeing a relatively simple black-and-white animation, leaving him underwhelmed. This also raises an interesting question for future trackmaking: In which narritive- and editing styles is the fact that it's a Line Rider video an addition instead of an impairment?

This feedback is more on a conceptual level, because in the execution department you just freaking nailed it!

Dog the video has "Line Rider" in the title, nobody's going to be disappointed when they see the meat of the video is made in Line Rider—especially when the setup establishes location and (imperfectly in this case) motivation. Have your friends watch this without any context—if you don't hype them up, they're not going to say "I was expecting AE motion graphics."

I also think all of us here have seen so many tracks that our perception of how a casual viewer would see a track is really really warped (myself included). You -have- to find casual viewers to get that perspective, IMO.
Hm yeah, I think I worded that wrong. What I was mainly trying to say is that the editing and the Line Rider clip felt a little disjointed.



_________________
Jam
Supersonic Motion

The Entity - Cheetah - The Source
Heart Attack - Sonic Motion
Imperial - Nuclear Fission - Perclusion - Compilation Damnsexy
avatar
Rafael
Line Rider Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by OTDE on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:19 pm

See, that's valid. Bridging the gap between editing/cinematic stuff and line rider isn't necessarily an uncrossable gap, but crossing it is definitely going to take a lot more work. I'm hoping to see more people experiment with it.

_________________
look inside my videos and you'll find
hidden forests -- quiet meditation -- two friends -- an octopus -- untold horror -- a soothing song -- dark fusion -- and inner peace
rabid wrote:did I just explain the significance of your own track to you
avatar
OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by Helios Pavonine on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Full review boi.

First off, I freaking love it. I was probably the most hyped person for this, and that was totally justified. I had expected a long, traditional Line Rider adventure in space like NOVA. Needless to say, I was pretty shocked at how different it was when I got to the end. But.. it's my favorite release of this year, hell maybe many years.

I love:
- the theme of isolation, which was superbly conveyed
- the adrenaline
- the synergy between music and track. It's crazy that you found a song that is so applicable to line rider in a narrative sense. Oh yeah, scenery integration is great too
- the editing (it's just hella good)

There's so much innovation in this 3 minute piece, it's hard to grasp!

What I don't understand:
- how does the hole in Bosh' room get there in the beginning?
- Bosh is offlsled after breaking through the gate but onsled in space?

Lastly, my only negative point would be that the actual story isn't clear from the beginning. I like the idea of having a song tell the story, but some lyrics were too fast or inaudible to comprehend it from the get-go. Other times the scenery went by too quickly (switch to open gate). On the other hand I love depth and coming back to a track to uncover and analyze all layers, so yeah, mixed feelings.

I give it 9.5 stars out of 10 stars (won't you look at that a space joke)
@OTDE wrote:Hoping to explore more as I said; there's still a bunch of untapped territory we can go down and I rly hope I'm not going to have to singlehandedly create all the LR lore and some of y'all will step up (helios Wink )
YES SIR.

_________________
What's it going to be then, eh?

Back to top Go down

Re: [OTDE] Dangerous Cargo

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum