Contest idea thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contest idea thread

Post by OTDE on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm

I've been mulling this one over the the green fellas for a little bit. Initially, we were planning on doing a maze contest for this month, but Opal brought up the point that (most) people are getting pretty sick of maze contests, so I wanted to create a little place for us to put together some ideas. If we use yours, you'll be credited in the resulting pip (I.e. "Votale's Maze Contest Winner"). With that in mind, here are some ideas the staff have come up with:

Donut Maze: exactly what it says on the tin. You start and end in the same place, but must do a full lap in either direction. Other staff have also suggested requiring two laps, or reducing the time by n for every extra n laps completed, but these are minutae.

Tower Ascension: Bosh is plopped at the bottom of a tower. Scattered around the way up are some small hitmarkers. Your goal is to reach the top in the fastest time, BUT you can only snap lines to the hitmarkers.

10-second scenery: I make a 10-second track explicitly to be scened. We vote on the the best scened version. (I just want more scenery out there TBH ;_Wink

Cloud Control: Similar to tower ascension, but for scenery. I give you a cloud of dots. Connect them in any combination to make a picture. The most neato picture wins.

That's all I got for now! Do you have ideas? Post 'em here? You like ideas that already here or by another person? Post 'em here! You wanna have a meta discussion on the nature of contests?? Me too, but I'm also making a separate thread for that!!

<3

OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

Community Pick: Braggadocio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Contest idea thread

Post by Opal Rider on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Another contest idea: For anyone who hasn't watched Achievement Hunter's Let's Play Minecraft series, they did a game called Cloud Down, where they all started at a high height, and had to get to the bottom without dying. We might be able to replicate that with small, specified green boxes we're allowed to draw in placed periodically throughout the map. You have to slow Bosh down enough to where he doesn't die or line glitch at the bottom of the track.

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anton on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

i want to add onto otdes cloud control idea: a cloud of dots, connect lines between them to make a track. vote for best track

I'd like to point out that any contest that invloves getting from point A to B, will be massively dominated by people who know how to do wormholes

Free Buffeet | Catena Lit | Jitterbug | Offbeat/Onbeat | «Static» | Well-Tempered Kramual | Booty Swing

Anton

cool

Community Pick: SYTYKC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:54 pm

The key here would be that we would ban wormholes, I believe. The goal of a to b contests is to show neat ways to transport Bosh around obstacles. Tricks that ignore these restrictions, like wormholes and massive speed lineglitching, yakno?

OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldon on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I like tower ascension, it feels similar to beta decay, a (sort of) limited number of possibilities.
Sheldon
Line Rider Legend

Community Pick: SYTYKC
3rd place in Tournament of Legends

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:52 pm

@Sheldon wrote:I like tower ascension, it feels similar to beta decay, a (sort of) limited number of possibilities.

That's the idea we're going for. The problem with openendedness is that it either becomes super subjective (which you like more) or pointless (the Anton Wormhole Problem), so contests like the beta decline, I've found, strike a balance of sorts between the measurable and the creative that I think works really well.

I also like problems with limited linecount. Here's another suggestion:
a height and distance contest with a limited linecount of 10 within a starting box. bosh has to live on landing.

thoughts?

OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Opal Rider on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 pm

@OTDE wrote:
a height and distance contest with a limited linecount of 10 within a starting box. bosh has to live on landing.

thoughts?

One bug we have to work out. On height contest, how are we going to make sure Bosh survives? Will they either have to stall him somewhere outside the start box, or will we use platforms? If we use platforms, will it be too easy for him to live, since we're giving him something to land on every so often? If they're placed at even intervals it'll be just as hard to make him land properly by making him jump ten feet as it would be for 100 ft. Maybe we could give closer intervals at the bottom rungs as a cushion.

Opal Rider

Aestetikally appealing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ScrungleBlumpkus on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 pm

@Opal Rider wrote:
@OTDE wrote:

thoughts?

One bug we have to work out. On height contest, how are we going to make sure Bosh survives? Will they either have to stall him somewhere outside the start box, or will we use platforms? If we use platforms, will it be too easy for him to live, since we're giving him something to land on every so often? If they're placed at even intervals it'll be just as hard to make him land properly by making him jump ten feet as it would be for 100 ft. Maybe we could give closer intervals at the bottom rungs as a cushion.

I imagine having him land in the same area he came out of and using quirk to make sure he survives

Interior Crocodile Alligator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OTDE on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Remember there's a linecount limit Wink

I'd say we solve that problem by just having the entrant draw a line at the peak of it. With the height, the goal is to use those ten lines to throw him up without killing him. The way down is less important.

I'm liking all these contest ideas. Here's another one.

Similar to Bosh plinko, suppose you had a "pinball machine" with point bumpers and "flippers" where track can be drawn. bosh gotta survive tho Wink

OTDE
Administrator

the postham mindset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Getthim on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 am

i'd be up for 10-second scenery

@Sheldon wrote:one does not simply teach a scener how to quirk

Hello Guest, lovely to see you.
Getthim